ReefCleaners.org

DaveFason

NanoBox is excited to introduce a new color to the NanoBox lineup, Mint. The color was discovered after switching to the Luxeon C LED on the V3.1 array. We have been using Lime for three years and have had incredible success. The mint spectrum nearly mimics lime however has a peak under the 450nm ( wavelength ). As you can see in the graph below marked with light pink. 

Specta Graph
What does this mean for reefers? A better overall color, better blending and a more ideal spectrum. We have tested this spectrum for over a year with amazing results. Our original Lagoon 25, IM Drop Off , Fusion 10 and now our Red Sea 170 have used the mint spectrum. Along with many of our loyal NanoBox customers. The mint color has a "greenish" tone however once you blend with royal blue, blue, cyan and violet you will see how it shines. 
Mint Only :
Mint Color

Mix :

NanoBox FTSMint Simulation

When will this be implemented in the NanoBox lineup? We made the switch back in November! We started to hear more and more people talk about the color looking better and glad we made the switch. Mint costs a few cents more but is well worth it. 

Will we be able to run the mint channel independently? Yes, if you would like. When ordering I would need to know. If you currently have a Plus M model we can change the wiring to separate the mint. 

Experiments? We have been running all of our tanks without any white supplementation for sometime. The results have blown us away. While there still needs to be true testing done ( spectrograph ) we believe this is a step forward. Creating a "reef" spectrum without white. If you look at 90% of the LED lights out there the white channel is marginally used. NanoBox will be sending a unit out to be tested utilizing only mint, royal blue, blue, cyan and violet. 
Rainbow Chalice Under Above :
Joe Knows Reef RainbowNanoBox Red SeaNanoBox Red Sea

Have questions? Ask away! 

Happy reefing!
-Dave
  • Like 11
schgr.cube

That is very exciting! When do you expect this to start coming into production units? I keep finding myself tempted to switch from Kessil, and you just continue giving me more reason. Maybe once I migrated to a Lagoon 25.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, schg said:

That is very exciting! When do you expect this to start coming into production units? I keep finding myself tempted to switch from Kessil, and you just continue giving me more reason. Maybe once I migrated to a Lagoon 25.

Read above ;) 

I have been putting them in units for a while now. If you want the channel separate I will need to know. Simple as that! 

schgr.cube
4 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

Read above ;) 

I have been putting them in units for a while now. If you want the channel separate I will need to know. Simple as that! 

Derp. I must have just missed reading that part! Well good to know. I am going to start preparing my wallet for an order soon...

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, BulkRate said:

so.... did that round prototype I bought back in Novmber have a lime or mint emitter?

Mint. :)

burtbollinger

so, if i was just interested in having the mint spectrum on my current light (nanobox duo M bought in 2017) then rest assured, I already have it and its running...I just can't control it solo as a color?

1 hour ago, ALW said:

I went to True Lumen Pro on my Biocube after 2 retro-fit nanobox fixtures turned this green color! Lot less money and great color. IMO

This sounds like a driver failure. Please send me a PM. 

57 minutes ago, burtbollinger said:

so, if i was just interested in having the mint spectrum on my current light (nanobox duo M bought in 2017) then rest assured, I already have it and its running...I just can't control it solo as a color?

Correct that you have it and no you can not just control it on its own. Currently it is mixed with your white channel. However we can change that with a little wiring. 

51 minutes ago, TJ_Burton said:

I guess that means my Lime is a Mint as well!?

:P

Very cool

Yes sir!

burtbollinger

i've followed you for a while now and saw you experimenting with this...

can you explain it like I'm 5 years old why it might be advantageous to run mint as its own channel vs. running white?    

• Like 2
mitten_reef

What are the "standard" channels on Plus models? I had Quad Plus (so I believe). Bluefish app lists RB, White, Violet, Cyan/Blue, Lime and Fan channel (6 total). So it seems to me that Lime had been converted to Mint, and that's just a BF default naming that Lime stuck in there. But I'm able to control this channel separately already.  Are ppl with "Plus M" the one with the White-Lime combined controls as one of the 6 available channels need to be dedicated to Moonlight?

21 hours ago, burtbollinger said:

i've followed you for a while now and saw you experimenting with this...

can you explain it like I'm 5 years old why it might be advantageous to run mint as its own channel vs. running white?    

No problem! 

• Better color blending - Mint blends extremely well with the others
  • Better overall color ( this is opinion of course ) 
  • Less wasted light ( white has some spectrum not needed ) 
3 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

What are the "standard" channels on Plus models? I had Quad Plus (so I believe). Bluefish app lists RB, White, Violet, Cyan/Blue, Lime and Fan channel (6 total). So it seems to me that Lime had been converted to Mint, and that's just a BF default naming that Lime stuck in there. But I'm able to control this channel separately already.  Are ppl with "Plus M" the one with the White-Lime combined controls as one of the 6 available channels need to be dedicated to Moonlight?

Correct. Change your lime to Mint. This will be going in effect this weekend on my side. 

They will need to loose the Moonlight and change to Mint if they want. However you can achieve the same effect running the royal blue channel ~ .1-.5%

-Dave

• Like 1

I have had a few emails/PM's regarding the new color and want to clarify a few things. 

This is not a gimmick color or just adding something to the array to make it different. The goal is to make a spectrum that not only grows corals, colors corals and looks pleasing to the eye. If you look at the graph of both white and mint you will see that they are very similar. Blending the two is the game changer between the two. Mint blends much better than any white and reduces color shadowing ( disco ). The issue right now is gathering real data to show that this can be done without the help of any whites. I wonder if @BulkReefSupply would be up for doing some data? 

Next step is to remove the three white LEDs and add more royal blue or blue. Maybe a weekend project for me. ;)

More to come!

-Dave

• Like 3
mitten_reef
2 hours ago, DaveFason said:

I have had a few emails/PM's regarding the new color and want to clarify a few things. 

This is not a gimmick color or just adding something to the array to make it different. The goal is to make a spectrum that not only grows corals, colors corals and looks pleasing to the eye. If you look at the graph of both white and mint you will see that they are very similar. Blending the two is the game changer between the two. Mint blends much better than any white and reduces color shadowing ( disco ). The issue right now is gathering real data to show that this can be done without the help of any whites. I wonder if @BulkReefSupply would be up for doing some data? 

Next step is to remove the three white LEDs and add more royal blue or blue. Maybe a weekend project for me. ;)

More to come!

-Dave

Yes, MORE blue!!! I felt that mint and white are very redundant right now (and I barely use my white, and from your BF screen it looks like you don't even have them on).  But I also would like to request something on the other end of the spectrum, PC amber? I know this will counter your move to 'blend' colors, but I feel that it may 'accent' some of the red better?

45 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

Yes, MORE blue!!! I felt that mint and white are very redundant right now (and I barely use my white, and from your BF screen it looks like you don't even have them on).  But I also would like to request something on the other end of the spectrum, PC amber? I know this will counter your move to 'blend' colors, but I feel that it may 'accent' some of the red better?

I think red and amber are a debated topic. I have read a few opinions that the reds only benefit algae but a little can help with accent.  I run my red only at 10-15%

• Like 2
1 hour ago, micoastreefing said:

Red is generally used when not using much warm or neutral white. I personally see no reason for it. I do however think it helps in fresh water applications. 

If you read above I stated I have no been running ANY white for some time. :) As well the red colors in my tank are looking pretty darn good! 

-Dave

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, rcar86 said:

Dave-

Can the rewiring of the mint on to its own channel be done on a Duo Plus?  Or only the Duo Plus M?

You will need an extra driver for that. Super simple however. 

-Dave

16 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

i have a question, can you frag that bright orange acan colony and send me a few heads?!  :D

one day, one day!

If I wanted to upgrade my fixture to mint (purchased July 2016), or replace the moonlight with mint how would I do it? Or what would the turn around time be if I sent it in?

1 hour ago, William said:

If I wanted to upgrade my fixture to mint (purchased July 2016), or replace the moonlight with mint how would I do it? Or what would the turn around time be if I sent it in?

I would need the unit. Two days here, two days shipping back to NY. 

-Dave

• 2 months later...