Coral Vue Hydros

Nick's 30L Mixed Reef

Nixperience

Sucks about your snowflake.

On 12/19/2017 at 9:18 PM, Nixperience said:

So I’m thinking about making an algae reactor

I have been running the aquamax marine depot reactor since last Feb. It works ok, as long as I dont let the chaeto grow too thick and slow the flow. The lights are cheap that came with it. In the future I will build my own or if I hit the lotto get the Pax Bellum.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, pal said:

Sucks about your snowflake.

I have been running the aquamax marine depot reactor since last Feb. It works ok, as long as I dont let the chaeto grow too thick and slow the flow. The lights are cheap that came with it. In the future I will build my own or if I hit the lotto get the Pax Bellum.

Thanks. Do you find it brings nutrients too low, or is it just right? Can you supplement more or feed heavier because of it?

36 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

Thanks. Do you find it brings nutrients too low, or is it just right? Can you supplement more or feed heavier because of it?

? I just got the hanna phosphorus checker this month and two tests so far read .04 and .07. Never tested before running the reactor. 

19 minutes ago, pal said:

? I just got the hanna phosphorus checker this month and two tests so far read .04 and .07. Never tested before running the reactor. 

Wow! I’d say that’s pretty good. 

I’m thinking about a rescape. I may try to lay down the rock island and create more horizontal surface for corals and less inaccessible caves where thing end up dying inside. 

On 12/30/2017 at 8:33 PM, Nixperience said:

I still have the mangroves, but I’m thinking of changing directions and going more sps. 

561CB4A1-F974-49C6-BBA0-CF5EF0392239.jpeg

Now we’re talking!  This tank begs for more SPS. ?

On 1/1/2018 at 12:11 PM, Nixperience said:

Looking at the rocks today, I thought it might be possible to make an arch, so I tried it and it worked! New Year, New Scape!

BF1A9982-BE96-418A-A167-4B4E629C2DDA.jpeg

And the new scape looks like a good start for the SPS transition. 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Sharbuckle said:

Cool rescape. Been staring at my tank today and think I want to switch it up a bit. 

Thanks. I still can’t believe I managed to make that from what was already in the tank. I neither added or removed any rock. 

1 hour ago, hedgeclipper2 said:

@Nixperience what setting are you using for your MP10 that you like?  I have mine at about the same place as you on the right side of my Nuvo 30L. 

I have it on back left on nutrient transport 85% and a pp-4 on the front right doing a long pulse about 40%. When I feed or baste the rocks I can see the current. It creates a prettt good gyre that’s really fast along the top back and slow across the top front. Down on the bottom, Flow is more random and turbulent, but gentle. I’d like to eventually replace the pp-4 with another mp10.  I think placement would be good for you, but I’m preparing for a major sps overhaul. The surface of my water is like a jacuzzi. It’s really turbulent. All your lps and softies won’t like that very much. 

I got some frags yesterday. Haven’t dug out the SLR, so I used my iPhone. Not the best quality, but got some nice frags. 

I got a rainbow stylo, red dragon Acro, myagi tort, some type of 2” toxic green slimer (not pictured. Too bright to capture with my phone), and this really nice 3” long scripps Acro, all for $60!

E08F7867-6926-444F-8628-2D88C2B6DCF2.jpeg

4CE16AEB-C2E2-4F99-A666-88F6496DE32A.jpeg

7140D9B9-9521-4162-A3CB-A68B4E7B6928.jpeg

E7860940-D7FE-4ECB-BD0B-48F3769E465D.jpeg

• Like 1

I just built this out of wire shelving. I got that composite stuff for the finish trim around the outside and I’m pretty disappointed with it. The stuff cuts like garbage. I should’ve just used wood and painted it. You can see where I snipped out the wire and ziptied them open. The LEDs will rest on top. Hydra will go in the middle. A Prime on left and right and I will hang 2 t5 bulbs underneath. I’m still figuring out how I’m going to mount it to the wall. I think I’ll use a track system so I can raise or lower it. 

9F6C53EE-7BFF-4A69-A76D-E67AABCC7D77.jpeg

Christopher Marks

You've been busy with some projects in the new year! The tank is going in a cool new direction, I dig the new arch aquascape. 

Clever lighting rack you're working on, I'm curious to see how it turns out! I hope you'll share more of the build process. Is the wood frame zip tied to the wire shelving? It's the stuff you'd find at Home Depot or Lowes to go into a closet or pantry for shelving, right?

Just now, Christopher Marks said:

You've been busy with some projects in the new year! The tank is going in a cool new direction, I dig the new arch aquascape. 

Clever lighting rack you're working on, I'm curious to see how it turns out! I hope you'll share more of the build process. Is the wood frame zip tied to the wire shelving? It's the stuff you'd find at Home Depot or Lowes to go into a closet or pantry for shelving, right?

Thanks Chris! Yes. The Home Depot wire shelving. I just ziptied it to the wood frame and the finish trim around the outside isn’t structural, so I’ll eventually redo it with actual wood once I get over the aggravation of that composit garbage. I figured composite would be lighter and more resistant to moisture, but it’s not worth it. 

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

That's great, I like it! If you're up for painting it, a little caulking can work wonders on trim to fill in the imperfections. That composite stuff is delicate to work with, in the future you can help keep your cuts from fracturing if you first cover it with masking tape. These projects always end up turning into more work :lol: 

Keep up the good work!

• Thanks 1