Pod Your Reef

Nick's 30L Mixed Reef

Nixperience

Nixperience
3 hours ago, gena said:

Agreed. Not big-time hiders.  But they are shy.  The longer you have it, the braver it will get. Great fish.

Hmm. Good food for thought. 

20 hours ago, samnaz said:

Painted or Wartskin Anglerfish. The tinier the better. :happy:

Obvi unsuitable for most tanks probably including yours but it's always my first fish choice. I mean who can resist this?!...

3f474c0d1754c137839fd8edaad75e09.jpg.4dee53eac50e312a113cf44c97ba8d09.jpg

Dang and I thought I had a little one :lol: insert wiener jokes...................:rolleyes:

What do you feed that thing?

So what fish are you really after?

There are many fish out there that would fit the bill............what swimmers do you have now?

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

@spectra so what are your suggestions?

Well in my 30 I only have one clown, a algae blenny, a target mandarin, midas blenny  and well a mystery wrasse..................... so not really sure.................

Hell I would like more fish to but..............

• Like 1
Nixperience
Just now, spectra said:

Well in my 30 I only have one clown, a algae blenny, a target mandarin, midas blenny  and well a mystery wrasse..................... so not really sure.................

Hell I would like more fish to but..............

Well you have 1 more fish than I have. If I don't increase the bioload, I'll either have to keep feeding heavy or my macros will wither. I like mystery wrasses. Don't they jump?

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

Well you have 1 more fish than I have. If I don't increase the bioload, I'll either have to keep feeding heavy or my macros will wither. I like mystery wrasses. Don't they jump?

Who knows but I run the top on my 30.............. only tank I do it on.

Hell my 100 has a corus, possum, leopard, and the chaoti........................knock on wood....................no top :blink:

• Like 1
Nixperience
Just now, spectra said:

Who knows but I run the top on my 30.............. only tank I do it on.

Hell my 100 has a corus, possum, leopard, and the chaoti........................knock on wood....................no top :blink:

I guess it's just luck of the draw. Not sure I'd want to risk it with $100 fish. Is it easily spooked? That tends to be the main jump factor. 

18 hours ago, spectra said:

Dang and I thought I had a little one :lol: insert wiener jokes...................:rolleyes:

What do you feed that thing?

So what fish are you really after?

There are many fish out there that would fit the bill............what swimmers do you have now?

I don't actually have one (YET). Pic came from google.

• Like 1
Nixperience

I was trying the lid, but i think with the mangroves and rock coming out, it looks stupid. 

IMG_1388.JPG

And it's a pain in the ass to do maintenance now. 

My PSW got a lot braver overnight after I moved the two big clowns out of the tank :D

For free swimmers, how about bangaii cardinals?

20170603-untitled-096-Edit.jpg

Ummmm, so I may have just gotten five of them today for the 40g :lol:

• Like 2
Nixperience
50 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

My PSW got a lot braver overnight after I moved the two big clowns out of the tank :D

For free swimmers, how about bangaii cardinals?

20170603-untitled-096-Edit.jpg

Ummmm, so I may have just gotten five of them today for the 40g :lol:

The bangaii are cool, but they kind of tasty still a lot. I really wish I could have a wrasse. But that school looks awesome. Also, that's like 15" of fish full grown. 

billerbong

I had the same problem with my lid -- I knew I wanted jumpers and decided to keep the lid.  I went for an acrylic lid as it looks a little less invasive than the IM black rimmed one.  I added some hinges so I can still do take maintenance without taking it off completely.  

IMG_2464_zpsydraiyhv.jpg

IMG_2482_zpsklwgnmy3.jpg

Nixperience
1 minute ago, billerbong said:

I had the same problem with my lid -- I knew I wanted jumpers and decided to keep the lid.  I went for an acrylic lid as it looks a little less invasive than the IM black rimmed one.  I added some hinges so I can still do take maintenance without taking it off completely.  

IMG_2464_zpsydraiyhv.jpg

IMG_2482_zpsklwgnmy3.jpg

Wow that is a sweet mangrove!

Nixperience
1 hour ago, billerbong said:

Thanks!  It was a challenge getting it to work with a tank this shallow but I'm pretty happy with it.

How old is it?

Nixperience

Just noticed my monti has been developing some purple striping. Is this a good thing? Bottom half you can see it. More prominent when not an iPhone photo. 

IMG_1390.JPG

Nixperience

I lowered the left shelf 1.5" to get as much head room as possible for the incoming frag tank. Not sure if I'll need a fan in there yet or not. We'll see. Oh, and I've decided on a coral beauty for the next fish. 

IMG_1403.JPG

• Like 2
Nixperience

Reefcleaners just shipped some halimeda and gracilara today. I'm going to get a BTA from a local reefer Wednesday. And I'm waiting for my frag tank to be built and shipped from oceanbox designs. Woot!

• Like 1
Nixperience

BTA got delayed because he couldn't free it up yet, so I went and got a new fish instead. I've been debating it and trying to avoid coral nippers and jumpers really eliminates most fish. I decided that I have enough macros and I feed frequently enough that I would risk the coral nipping behavior. I got a Fiji Coral Beauty. She's hiding in a cave right now, but she ate at the lfs before I took her home. I'll have pics when she joins the party. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

She's out and happy

APC_0037.jpg

APC_0035.jpg

Oooh, beautiful!!!

I've always wanted to have one of these.

• Like 1