SaltCritters.com

Nick's 30L Mixed Reef

Nixperience

Nixperience

Also got some macro in from reefcleaners and the gracilaria was DOA brown sludge and halimeda mostly white. I put the halimeda in because I heard this can happen in shipping and it will bounce back and it didn't smell funky. The gracilaria smelled like death. Not sure what the penny macro was, but didn't look too hot either. 

IMG_1432.JPG

Nixperience

I just noticed a rock that I broke off my undata 2 months ago to trade in is starting to show a few polyps on the piece of dead encrusted undata. It was under other rocks for a month and I just assumed it was dead. Making a comeback. All my sps are showing great polyp extension and some growth in the month I've had them. 

• Like 5
Nixperience
7 hours ago, billerbong said:

~3 years

Wow

I just freed the BTA from the rock I got it on. The rock was full of red mushrooms and I'm debating on whether I should keep them or not. Any advice? I'm not sure if they will be too invasive or unhealthy for a mixed reef. 

This is what they look like. 

IMG_1447.JPG

• Like 5
12 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

Wow

I just freed the BTA from the rock I got it on. The rock was full of red mushrooms and I'm debating on whether I should keep them or not. Any advice? I'm not sure if they will be too invasive or unhealthy for a mixed reef. 

IMG_1447.JPG

Oooh pretty :o

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

So should I keep them? I hear they can be pretty invasive. 

I really don't know.

I will say that when I see tanks with red shrooms there tends to be a lot of them...... I don't know if that is because they grow fast or people just like the red. 

I would keep them,  but I like to take chances  :)

8 hours ago, Nixperience said:

Clowns are getting to know their new host for a while. 

IMG_1446.JPG

Is that the acclimate pro from Dr.Fosters&Smith? 

Nixperience
3 minutes ago, Minmay said:

Is that the acclimate pro from Dr.Fosters&Smith? 

Sea side aquatics acclimation box. Got it on amazing for $27. Female clown went in the anemone first minute they were together and then I didn't see it happen again all day. I released them. Didn't want them in there too long. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

Sea side aquatics acclimation box. Got it on amazing for $27. Female clown went in the anemone first minute they were together and then I didn't see it happen again all day. I released them. Didn't want them in there too long. 

Awesome deal! Dr.fosters&smith acclimation box sells theres for like $70 and I felt that was over priced for a damn box. Gratz on your clown hosting though!

• Like 3
Nixperience
2 minutes ago, Minmay said:

Awesome deal! Dr.fosters&smith acclimation box sells theres for like $70 and I felt that was over priced for a damn box. Gratz on your clown hosting though!

Thanks. It was only for a minute, but at least she knows what it was like and will go back. 

• Like 3

I really love the mushrooms. If I were local to you I'd happily come take some off your hands.

Deb's suggestion was a good one.

Nixperience

I broke the rock into pieces and kept the 3 nicest ones. There were probably 4-5 more babies on the other pieces with bubble algae in the cracks so I just got rid of those. 

I was going to suggest what Deb did, isolate them if you can and that should keep invasion potential to a minimum.  I think they are gorgeous!

Nixperience
10 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I was going to suggest what Deb did, isolate them if you can and that should keep invasion potential to a minimum.  I think they are gorgeous!

They are nice. I put them in the rocks though. I want to leave my sandbed fairly open. 

Nixperience

Put a fan on the tank and it's keeping it under 80 during this heat wave. Evaporation like crazy though. I have to manually top off to make sure my kalkwasser top off doesn't kick in too often. 

IMG_1485.JPG

• Like 4
Nixperience
1 hour ago, samnaz said:

I might have to do that too. My tank hit 80.5 yesterday, usually is 78!

Ya it works fast. Within 10 minutes, dropped from 80.5 to 79.5. I think I'm going to put one of those tiny black ones on the tank and tie it in to the controller and forget about it. 

GregEmmitte
On 6/12/2017 at 10:11 PM, Nixperience said:

Wow

IMG_1447.JPG

These are awesome. I got one and sliced it in two and now I have two! :)

• Like 1
Nixperience
1 hour ago, GregEmmitte said:

These are awesome. I got one and sliced it in two and now I have two! :)

Lol. I think you'll find you didn't need to. They will multiply fast.