Innovative Marine Aquariums

Nick's 30L Mixed Reef

Nixperience

mitten_reef
18 hours ago, Nixperience said:

Put a fan on the tank and it's keeping it under 80 during this heat wave. Evaporation like crazy though. I have to manually top off to make sure my kalkwasser top off doesn't kick in too often. 

IMG_1485.JPG

That red Cap, shaping up to be a nice show piece. 

• Like 2
Nixperience
3 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Me likey!

Thanks. It would be nicer if the damn BTA would come to the front of the tank. I think it likes to look at it's own reflection in the black back. 

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

Thanks. It would be nicer if the damn BTA would come to the front of the tank. I think it likes to look at it's own reflection in the black back. 

Its back there like "how you doin'?"

• Like 2
Simulated Fish

My BTA is the same way, it finally got comfortable and stretches a good 8-10" to the top of the tank and opens from the back/underside.  Make my worry almost every night because it disappears when it closes up.

Nixperience
3 hours ago, Hippieheadshot said:

My BTA is the same way, it finally got comfortable and stretches a good 8-10" to the top of the tank and opens from the back/underside.  Make my worry almost every night because it disappears when it closes up.

Well I cast shade on it for an hour before the water change and it moved to exactly where I hoped it would. 

APC_0055.jpg

• Like 2
Nixperience

So I haven't really tested parameters besides nitrate since I started this tank. I've been using Red Sea coral pro salt for water changes every other week and saturated kalkwasser in ato with some daily drops of Mg. I decided to test the big 3 today and was surprised. It wasn't bad at all. I can probably cut down the Mg a drop or 2 every day and I need to get a phosphate kit, but once my macros start to take off, I probably won't test much anyway unless something looks wrong. Keep in mind, I have 5 fish, so the nitrates are pretty good for that bioload. 

Ca - 480 ppm

KH - 8 dkh

Mg - 1460 ppm

Nitrate - 10 ppm

Salinity - 1.026 sg

PH - 8.15-8.35 throughout the day. 

• Like 1
Nixperience

Got some more macros. Got some ulva, palm caulerpa, halimeda, and euchema. Hopefully I can keep the euchema because it looks amazing. 

APC_0063.jpg

• Like 4
Nixperience

Stupid BTA parked itself right between my red planet and pc rainbow frag. It's getting blasted by the powerhead and still there all day. 

APC_0065.jpg

• Like 3
On 6/21/2017 at 6:31 PM, Nixperience said:

Got some more macros. Got some ulva, palm caulerpa, halimeda, and euchema. Hopefully I can keep the euchema because it looks amazing. 

APC_0063.jpg

Where did you get the Euchema from?

Nixperience

28 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Where did you get the Euchema from?

Reefcleaners. It already dropped all its tips. I'm trying it in the rock crevices to see if that works. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

Reefcleaners. It already dropped all its tips. I'm trying it in the rock crevices to see if that works. 

Good luck, hope you can get it to settle in and grow. 

I don't think they like crazy, high light, mebbe try medium light. 

Nixperience
10 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Good luck, hope you can get it to settle in and grow. 

I don't think they like crazy, high light, mebbe try medium light. 

Ya. It's hard to gauge. It responds really fast 

Just now, Nixperience said:

Ya. It's hard to gauge. It responds really fast 

Responds in what way?

I do know it's one of the more difficult Macros to keep.

Nixperience
8 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Responds in what way?

I do know it's one of the more difficult Macros to keep.

It will just start to die immediately in the wrong spot. You can try to move it to a new spot, but within a day, it can drop half of itself. 

3 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

It will just start to die immediately in the wrong spot. You can try to move it to a new spot, but within a day, it can drop half of itself. 

Interesting. 

I don't have any yet but will get some before long I'm sure. 

It's on my list. ;)

• Like 1
Nixperience
1 minute ago, Weetabix7 said:

Interesting. 

I don't have any yet but will get some before long I'm sure. 

It's on my list. ;)

It's worth figuring it out. The stuff is beautiful. 

Nixperience
3 hours ago, bk_market said:

beautiful tank set up. you inspired me to set up a 30L :D

How do you like your light setup? I see you have a prime and hydra 26

I love the lighting. The hydra takes care of 2/3 of the tank and the Prime is basically used for the planted softy section. The hydra could probably take care of the whole tank with the right aquascape

2 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Here's some more info on Euchema, if you're feeling ambitious: http://www.fao.org/docrep/field/003/AC287E/AC287E00.htm

Interesting read. The way it described the tips turning bright and then white is exactly how it dies. But it segments itself, so the lower part of the plant is unharmed. It seems to be doing OK in the canyon between my rockwork, but it's not very visible anymore. I'm just trying to keep it alive at this point. 

• Like 2