inTank Media Baskets

Nick's 30L Mixed Reef

Nixperience

I was so unhappy with the composite, I went out and got wood and redid the exterior wrap and painted it. Just a few tiny holes I missed filling. 

2FCABE9E-370B-421B-BA45-28B6907E2991.jpeg

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Catching up on tank threads, sorry about the clown drama but tank is looking good!  And what a great deal on those frags!

Thanks. Ya there’s a local reefer who has a ton of frags he sells cheap and he has a ton of huge tanks. I just have to dip because he does have some pests, but the prices are worth it. Another reefer is giving me a Sunset Monti this week for free because he’s killing it. I’ll take it ?

• Like 1

It’s done. Not all the lights are mounted in it yet. I’ll be getting my other Prime back later this week and the t5 retrokit probably next week. I’m not sure how I feel about it yet. I know the lighting will definitely be better and more filled in for sure. I think the only way I would truly like it is if it was wired to the ceiling. I think it’s the mounting system I don’t like ?

96D24D66-A6DD-4B4D-AC28-E52A953F2064.jpeg

12CF5D98-AA7B-4572-9A11-D362BDA65816.jpeg

5C1415B5-5158-4B89-9063-765538447857.jpeg

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

I think it looks pretty good! If you can paint the hanging brackets and arms to be the same color as the wall it might blend in a little better.

Thanks. Fingers crossed I still have some of the paint left. Maybe I can add another inch of wood to the top to hide a little bit more of the mounting too. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

So this is what he wife approves. It’s my best option until I can afford to buy a quad from @DaveFason

58281B54-7D7A-4986-8469-73DD5100A6BE.jpeg

I kind of agree with the wife...... looks much nicer this way. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don’t understand. I tested my parameters and my nitrates are through the roof. Over 140 ppm. Hanna ultra low phos is .028

Ca is 400ppm

Kh is 9dkh

Mg is 1420ppm

i just set up the chaeto reactor about 2 weeks ago and it’s growing. The only thing I can think of is when I rescaped, I must’ve had some die off. Time for a water change. 

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, teenyreef said:

That's a little scary! How's it going now? 

It’s coming down. I think I rustled up a lot of stuff during the rescape, but the chaeto has filled the reactor now and it seems to be doing its job. I’ll test again in a day or 2 since I’ll be due to harvest. Also, my stock return pump died on Friday and I had to order a new one that came on Sunday. I got the sicce Syncra Silent 2.0 and it is great. 

• Like 1

Tested nitrates today and they are around 20ppm. So I guess the chaeto reactor is doing its job. All the corals are doing great except for the first time in over a year, my yumas don’t look happy. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 26/4/2017 at 2:21 AM, Nixperience said:

FTS 5/19/17:

NewTankMay19_zpsevltkhkk.jpg

5/14/17: 

NewTankMay14_zpsbuhnxxza.jpg

Being neglectful of my sump and observing lots of dead space in the water column of my cube, I decided to simplify. I have 40" of real estate that my wife will allow me to do my reefing and she no longer cares or bothers me about it, as long as I stay in my space. I knew I wanted to downgrade to an AIO since I don't keep on top of things if they are hidden away in a cabinet. I decided the Innovative Marine 30L would be the perfect fit for that space.

Once I decided on the 30L, I started looking at scapes and other members tanks and a few really inspired me.

Brad908's mangrove biotope was doing a lot of things I really wanted to do, but hadn't really seen anyone doing it. I really liked the concept of showing shore to lagoon to reef crest in one tank and he seemed to be achieving that the best that I've seen. 

Lawn's softy tank was also the direction I was leaning towards when I decided to make my tank change because I was tired of testing for calcium and kh and using saturated kalkwasser, gunking up all the equipment.   

Wawawang's scape is really cool and I love how he has the rock break the surface of the water and has plants growing on the surface. 

I'd like to do something that resembles a cross between brad908 and wawawang's tank, but with more softies like Lawn's tank. I will do some macros, but not quite as much as brad908 and no caulerpa. 

Basically, my goal is to cut down on water changes, equipment cleaning, and dosing. 

I broke down my tank and transferred the livestock to my old 11g with ac70 to make room for the new system. I have the stand, tank, dryrock, and new sand coming this week and I hope to get it wet and cycling by the weekend. 

Display: Innovative Marine Fusion 30L. 
Lighting: 1 AI Hydra 26HD and 1 Prime 
Heater: Sicce 200 watt 
Circulation: Stock return (for now) and 1 MP10, 1 rw-4, 1 koralia nano
Skimmer: Innovative Marine Ghost Midsize
Filtration: Floss and chemipure elite in right chamber, floss and chemipure blue in left chamber

Dosing: Kalkwasser in ato 
Controller: Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper Lite

ATO: AutoAqua Smart ATO

Livestock

Fish: Ocellaris Clownfish (male)

Black Ocellaris Clownfish (female)

Royal Gramma

Starry Blenny

Coral Beauty

Inverts: Cleaner Shrimp

Rose Bubbletip Anemone

Maxi-mini Carpet Anemone

4 Rock Flower Anemones

Scarlet Red Hermit Crab

Various Snails

Macros

& Plants: Red Mangroves

Chaetomorpha

Codium

Dragons Breath

Euchema

Palm Caulerpa

Red Grape

Ulva 

Halimeda

Corals: Hammer

Duncan

Red Monti Cap

Montipora Undata

Porites

Meteor Shower

Green Birdsnest

Purple Tip Acropora

Red Planet Acropora 

Purple Gorgonian

Rusty Gorgonian

King Midas Zoas

Assorted Ricordeas

Blue Sympodium

Red Mushroom

Green Toadstool 

Did you have any salt creeps problem with the rock extruded out of water surface ? And also, how did you keep the air plants alive ? :D It would be nice to hear some advice from you, thanks. 

mitten_reef
On 2/7/2018 at 9:48 PM, Nixperience said:

It’s coming down. I think I rustled up a lot of stuff during the rescape, but the chaeto has filled the reactor now and it seems to be doing its job. I’ll test again in a day or 2 since I’ll be due to harvest. Also, my stock return pump died on Friday and I had to order a new one that came on Sunday. I got the sicce Syncra Silent 2.0 and it is great. 

How is the syncra 2.0 working out?  Does the 3/8” connection/adapter come standard?  I was gonna run two return pumps, one for each nozzle, but now interested in how yours working out. 

• 2 weeks later...
Nixperience
On 3/6/2018 at 10:18 PM, LeeJiYoung said:

Did you have any salt creeps problem with the rock extruded out of water surface ? And also, how did you keep the air plants alive ? :D It would be nice to hear some advice from you, thanks. 

I didn’t have any salt creep, but the plants did die after a few months. 

• Thanks 1
Nixperience
On 3/6/2018 at 10:32 PM, micoastreefing said:

How is the syncra 2.0 working out?  Does the 3/8” connection/adapter come standard?  I was gonna run two return pumps, one for each nozzle, but now interested in how yours working out. 

It works great. I had to get a threaded 3/4-1/2” reducer at Home Depot and that’s it. Not much bigger than the stock pump. I haven’t noticed much difference in water turnover though. 

mitten_reef
8 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

It works great. I had to get a threaded 3/4-1/2” reducer at Home Depot and that’s it. Not much bigger than the stock pump. I haven’t noticed much difference in water turnover though. 

Hmm, wonder if I can find the reducer that would fit my ~600 gph Tunze return pump. It’s roughly the same flow rate as syncra 2.0. That’s a good idea, I’ll look into that. 

Also good to know that turnover is not significantly increased, well afterall, the stock pump is almost 500gph. 

• 3 years later...