Innovative Marine Aquariums

Where the Wild Things Are: 100 Days (rezing the thread)

lkoechle

1 minute ago, lkoechle said:

Still admiring my tanks?  Your envy is showing...

No just looking at the pics again.........and stating facts :lol: 

8 minutes ago, metrokat said:

Oh that's Pete the Pistol. He loves curlique anemones. Symbiotic.

Makes sense.  I'm surprised I actually don't have any of those on my rocks.  Maybe they just haven't popped out yet.

55 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

Soooo...  Today was pretty epic.  I started two tanks today: the creature feature and this tank.

To rein in my enthusiasm and to not harrass @jedimasterben for the sticky note because I had TRUSTED HIM to post it, I decided to play Mortal Kombat with @skoechle instead of us harassing everyone on NR last night.  AHEM clearly, I should've been on here harassing everyone :P At about 6:30 I was awoken with an e-mail saying my package had shipped and would arrive at the airport at 11:25 AM.  So I did a pre-coffee rampage because I'm a monster in the morning but it got ish done.

I posted that sticky and let the saltwater flow!  I put in 10 gallons to allow 4 for displacement, started the koralia and began heating the water.

At 11:25 AM @skoechle texts me he is on his way to the airport.  And by 12:40 we have this:

33773555613_69b0a10eeb.jpg

And what did we order?

Super live rock and super live sand.  Fresh from the ocean, packaged with water (not wrapped) and put on an airplane this morning.

How live is that sand?

34583808785_0892c23d3c.jpg

Well, has you sand ever come with snails, whelks, hermit crabs, AND A CARIBBEAN CLINGFISH?!

33773548933_0f46bfeaae.jpg

Clingfish.  My first view, I noticed the sand moving of its own accord while @skoechle was dumping it.

34421890082_7f5076f6b4.jpg

Clingfish being clingy.

33740837994_3a728cfd75.jpg

He made friends with our magfloat.

And how live was that rock?

34542546226_3f2f25b2c9.jpg

34421990022_43e045f13e.jpg

Can you spy the pistol shrimp?  He's been very angry ever since.  

33773649553_7fd5f1b3ee.jpg

34421986772_61b45eecb6.jpg

Baby crab

34542519106_81a9596fdc.jpg

34542511806_b9103f4e18.jpg

Tube coral

34542500756_c0c32bca0a.jpg

Short end

34197663410_7345949114.jpg

Barnacles and tunicate

34421983562_86bb579567.jpg

33773574043_146ab497e5.jpg

Red Porcelain Crab, currently on the rock I put in the mantis tank.  Clearly, I need to move this crab to the "safe" tank.

34421912592_2335c35ffb.jpg

Same with this Nass.  He was in the scoop of sand I put in the mantis tank apparently...

34542504316_b3be57c1f1.jpg

I thought this was a sponge, but the more I look at it, the more I'm thinking some kind of encrusting coral?  

33773620763_9f5a86a5c5.jpg

No idea what this is, but it looks cool!

33741110084_6e4b51ab68.jpg

Pretty sister tanks :wub:

I'm planning on lots of water changes.  A 4 gallon change tomorrow.  I get my ammonia kit tomorrow so I can test and then see how often I need to change.  I am running purigen and carbon.  I want to reduce loss of life.  Everything was actually really fresh, only one rock smelled and that was only when you put it under your nose.  That one went in the mantis tank so I will be doing much more water changes with that one. 

AND THIS WAS ONLY THE FIRST SHIPMENT!!! omgomgomg

I got your epic right here.

Now that's what I call live sand!  I've never heard of clingfish but he's so cute!  Reminds me of an otocinclis.

38 minutes ago, Derrick1980 said:

Well excuse me.. I wouldn't want to ruin your thread by posting irrelevantly as you and many others did in my tank journal threads.  I quoted that from vlangel when I was reading her thread and it put it here because my messages updated.   You may not care about her tank but I do.  Lighten up, at least you haven't had non-tank related chatter in your thread since you started it.  I have.  It sucks.

:unsure:

11 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

omgomgomg:wub:omgomgomg:wub:omgomgomg:wub:

^ Yeah that lol.

• Like 2
WhiteWulfe
1 hour ago, lkoechle said:

How long will it work? Like is it on going (ie there's no ammonia NOW but in 3 hours...) I mainly use it as a dechlorinator for the FW tank.

If I remember from my freshwater days, it's supposed to provide protection against ammonia for 48 hours, but back then if using for ammonia control I dosed every 24 hours....  But I also used tap water back then, aaaand Edmonton's tap water in the spring can have upwards of 4.5ppm of ammonia in it.

• Like 1

So, one of the unique aspects of this tank is we are working exclusively with a collector (99.9% , there may be a purchase I'll do with the LFS but I wont know if I'm doing that until we're done with our main dude).  I don't even know what's going to be shipped to me.  I know he has my mantis for the mantis tank, I told him how many gallons the contest tank is and what I'm going for, but as for specifics, I really have no idea.  And as you can see, the ocean also has its own things in mind.  So I have to be prepared for anything and everything. lol

This is our first shipment.  More stuff will be coming once the tank cycles.  And @skoechle will not let me disclose our source until the last shipment.  You'll have to wait in suspense for that as much as we'll be waiting in suspense to know what we're even getting.

I'm really hoping I have a minimal cycle, I want to keep everything alive.  Even the "pests" which won't be removed until they prove to be a detriment.  I want to be as natural as possible. And God thought Gorilla Crabs were a good idea... So we'll see lol  if not, they'll be good mantis food.

Some more pics from last night and this morning:

34462928621_ea1632129c_c.jpgMr. Cling by lkoechle, on Flickr

Mr. Cling seems to be nocturnal.  He was on the glass last night when we went to bed.  So, I'm going to try feeding him at night with either mysis or PE calanus.  I need to do more research to figure out an exact plan for Mr. Cling.  But I have read they can be kept in home aquaria and even breed, so thats promising.

34593531435_209011389f_c.jpgRed somethings by lkoechle, on Flickr

34593522935_9888ec2d02_c.jpgbad crab 1 by lkoechle, on Flickr

34207465130_f2286a3165_c.jpgLimpet underside by lkoechle, on Flickr

34593508315_3b4e5b1893_c.jpgbrittle star by lkoechle, on Flickr

We have brittle starfish... Somewhere lol.  See its arms sticking out?

I've also found a red porcelain crab in the contest tank.  It's much smaller than the one in the mantis tank and another big nass in the contest tank as well.  I'm still going to try and catch the other guys from the mantis tank, but it's nice know I have "duplicates".  

I still can't find my pistol shrimp since we first put him and his rock in the tank.  But he is an angry dude.  His clicks tempt me to always be searching for him.  I'm pretty sure he's either underneath or inside the round rock.

I plan on going to the LFS today to get some phytofeast for my filter feeders, krill to have on hand for the mantis, I need another bucket of salt, and some chaeto for the back chamber fuge of the contest tank.

Tonight @skoechle will be drilling a hole for my ato line so the ATO will be functional and fixing handle bars on the cabinet so I can childproof it.  I still need to buy an ATO bucket though. lol

The ammonia badges should arrive today which will give me some comfort.  Flying blind is uncomfortable for a control freak like me.  Like this tank is uncomfortable for a control freak like me.  Like I told @Weetabix7 (who has actually been in the 'know' this whole time), this tank is "letting go of control" experiment like her Zen tank.  What will be, will be, just like the real ocean. Hence I'm not going batty over "pest" animals or algae unless I clearly need to intervene for everyone else's welfare.

I will say though, I am NEVER not wearing gloves in this tank. lol

I did do a water change on the mantis tank and put prime in both tanks per @jedimasterben's suggestion.

And that's it so far!

• Like 9
debbeach13

You and Weetie are making me want to drag one of the empty tanks in from the garage. So glad many reefers are going back to real live sand and rock. I understand starting with dead dry rock (MY 20L was restarted with reef cleaners dry rock) but it is boring compared to what is happening here and in the Zen tank. Thank goodness your keeping your supplier a secret.

• Like 7
11 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

If I remember from my freshwater days, it's supposed to provide protection against ammonia for 48 hours, but back then if using for ammonia control I dosed every 24 hours....  But I also used tap water back then, aaaand Edmonton's tap water in the spring can have upwards of 4.5ppm of ammonia in it.

That is a ton of ammonia. o.O  I honestly have no idea how high our ammonia is.  I have never tested my tap water.

1 hour ago, Mariaface said:

I'm honestly ready to order these rocks asap, it doesn't even have to be for the competition tank. Wow.

8 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

You and Weetie are making me want to drag one of the empty tanks in from the garage. So glad many reefers are going back to real live sand and rock. I understand starting with dead dry rock (MY 20L was restarted with reef cleaners dry rock) but it is boring compared to what is happening here and in the Zen tank. Thank goodness your keeping your supplier a secret.

@skoechle is being very tight lipped.  He was even annoyed when I told him I was talking to Weetie.  And I am all like, but I need help and ideas to bounce with this! So he relented to her knowing.  The rest of you though are being forced to wait it out. lol

• Like 4
24 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

You and Weetie are making me want to drag one of the empty tanks in from the garage. So glad many reefers are going back to real live sand and rock. I understand starting with dead dry rock (MY 20L was restarted with reef cleaners dry rock) but it is boring compared to what is happening here and in the Zen tank. Thank goodness your keeping your supplier a secret.I am never s

I am never starting a tank with anything other than uncured rocks from the ocean. The life and bacterial profile you get cannot be replicated. And yes you get pests too, so it isn't for the faint of heart or for those that want to control every aspect of their reefs. Some aquarist don't even like any algae on their glass which is a natural sign of a healthy reef IMO.

14 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

@skoechle is being very tight lipped.  He was even annoyed when I told him I was talking to Weetie.  And I am all like, but I need help and ideas to bounce with this! So he relented to her knowing.  The rest of you though are being forced to wait it out. lol

Please consider letting me be a confidant. :flower:

• Like 5
56 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

That is a ton of ammonia. o.O  I honestly have no idea how high our ammonia is.  I have never tested my tap water.

But, but, but...... I"m all B):ninja:, and awesome 'n stuff and I know how to keep a secret!!!

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Mariaface said:

Damn it. Damn it, damn it, damn it. I need to know

52 minutes ago, metrokat said:

Sorry ladies, you're just gonna have to wait a week or so :P  We will post full details when the next order comes in.

• Like 2
Just now, skoechle said:

Sorry ladies, you're just gonna have to wait a week or so :P  We will post full details when the next order comes in.

So rude! I'm looking forward to it, though - I'd love my next cycle of live rock to be THAT amazing. Sheesh.

• Like 4
59 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

So rude! I'm looking forward to it, though - I'd love my next cycle of live rock to be THAT amazing. Sheesh.

See? straight from the horse's mouth.  Told you it was @skoechle's fault. lol

1 hour ago, metrokat said:

I am never starting a tank with anything other than uncured rocks from the ocean. The life and bacterial profile you get cannot be replicated. And yes you get pests too, so it isn't for the faint of heart or for those that want to control every aspect of their reefs. Some aquarist don't even like any algae on their glass which is a natural sign of a healthy reef IMO.

I dont think I will ever start an SPS tank this way or a really large reef, but I do have plans for other tanks now... B)

• Like 3

So Mr. Cling is a Stippled Clingfish and SA breeds them! https://reefbuilders.com/2012/12/18/sustainable-aquatics-captivebred-marine-bettas-stippled-clingfish-trickling-fish-stores/

To me all I hear is: easy to keep! Just gotta figure it out lol  I did see a video of these guys being hand fed so I am hoping if I offer mysis on feeding tongs at night he will take it. I also read he will come out during the day once he gets comfy.  But someone had a captive bred on for months before it came out during the day...

• Like 6
18 hours ago, Derrick1980 said:

Well excuse me.. I wouldn't want to ruin your thread by posting irrelevantly as you and many others did in my tank journal threads.  I quoted that from vlangel when I was reading her thread and it put it here because my messages updated.   You may not care about her tank but I do.  Lighten up, at least you haven't had non-tank related chatter in your thread since you started it.  I have.  It sucks.

Unknown.jpeg.57677037297750b1846cecea3aaea81c.jpeg

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Wow! Those rocks and sand are amazing. I quit. You win!

They are pretty amazing.  I'm excited though to see what others come up with and the community decides.  "Natural" isn't everyone's cup of tea.

• Like 6
2 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Life like that off the live rock and does not come out of the $500.00 livestock money. Very smart move!

lol I have a plan for that.  I don't want to be unfair.  

• Like 1