Pod Your Reef

Where the Wild Things Are: 100 Days (rezing the thread)

lkoechle

23 minutes ago, stellablue said:

@lkoechle Reef nutrition sells a live and a preserved. Honestly, dosing live phyto daily has been the best thing I've ever done for my tanks. The phyto uses up nutrients until it is consumed by something too. The preserved will get eaten by corals and such but like other foods, it will add nitrates and phosphates to the tank. You have to get some. The difference with live is crazy! 

This is what I have.  Is this the live version?  I think it is... I will have to google

20170520_091238.jpg

damn. its not.  just my luck. lol

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

This is what I have.  Is this the live version?  I think it is... I will have to google

20170520_091238.jpg

damn. its not.  just my luck. lol

When you use it up, get the live!! It's still good I think. I used that until I got turned on to live by a local reefer. 

• Like 1

Good news! Everyone ate this morning including the injured serpant star.  What ate:

2 clingfish

1 seaweed blenny

1 serpent star

1 mantis shrimp (he is not in this tank, but from the same shipment so I am including him lol)

I also dosed phytofeast and will test later this morning.  We plan on anchoring everything in all three tanks today as well.

My big orange sponge has had no further damagr so thats a good sign too! polyp extension looks great on everything.

The only thing I wish is to find the stupid pistol shrimp so I can feed him.  I am thinking of naming him Red from That 70s Show since he's such a damn grouch. lol I think I have heard Yoshii twice while Red is popping all the damn time.

20170520_100717.jpg

Edited by lkoechle
A photo for your troubles.
  • Like 5

S & L - I was reading through your overview and am thinking of getting "the package" for my 10 gallon fusion that's empty. With the two separated shipments, was it roughly $100 each shipment? I was trying to figure that out on the site and I know they mention roughly .90 per lb, minimum 100 but I can't figure out if it is each shipment or total for both ...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, stellablue said:

S & L - I was reading through your overview and am thinking of getting "the package" for my 10 gallon fusion that's empty. With the two separated shipments, was it roughly $100 each shipment? I was trying to figure that out on the site and I know they mention roughly .90 per lb, minimum 100 but I can't figure out if it is each shipment or total for both ...

we paid $57 for the first which was 70 lbs and $65 for the second which was 75 lbs.  :)  The airlines charges about pounds.  I remember TBS saying there was a minimum weight, but I think thats 50 lbs per shipment which should be do-able with a 10 gallon package.  You can always email them.  They usually get back same day.

• Like 1
Just now, lkoechle said:

we paid $57 for the first which was 70 lbs and $65 for the second which was 75 lbs.  :)  The airlines charges about pounds.  I remember TBS saying there was a minimum weight, but I think thats 50 lbs per shipment which should be do-able with a 10 gallon package.  You can always email them.  They usually get back same day.

Ooo! Great news! Thank you :) 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, stellablue said:

Ooo! Great news! Thank you :) 

Yeah TBS told us it would probably be about $90 per shipment, but we were happily surprised with much lower!  

• Like 1

Well wow, this has to be THE best liverock ever!! I want some soooo badly but I'm too far away :( I'll be following this build along with the other competition tanks closely, they look so much fun. I wish I could have joined in too.

Go Mr & Mrs Cling. :wub:

Regards

Ann

• Like 1

I have also been doing some research on the injured star.  From what I have read it seems like it should recover so I am going to continue to keep it in the breeder box for a few more days to let it heal more unharrassed.  But its eating and hiding and moving and the hole is much smaller already. :)

• Like 9
19 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

I have also been doing some research on the injured star.  From what I have read it seems like it should recover so I am going to continue to keep it in the breeder box for a few more days to let it heal more unharrassed.  But its eating and hiding and moving and the hole is much smaller already. :)

Sooo muuuch colooooor!  Glad the star is healing well!

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

Oh my goodness. 

This is unfreakingreal. 

So gorgeous. 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Coral_chef said:

I'm curious to see how this tank grows. 

I'll bet a paycheck the tank just stays the same size! ;)

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Sooo muuuch colooooor!  Glad the star is healing well!

1 hour ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Such gorgeous colours! 

1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

Oh my goodness. 

This is unfreakingreal. 

So gorgeous. 

Thanks! All the colors are amazing.  I almost feel like having it be random worked best than me handpicking pieces.  I find I always lean too heavily towards one color or another.   I'm really thrilled with what I have.

1 hour ago, Coral_chef said:

I'm curious to see how this tank grows. 

Me too, but I'd be satisfied just keeping it alive :D

44 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

I'll bet a paycheck the tank just stays the same size! ;)

Probably.  I hope it doesn't grow... We didn't reinforce that shelf. lol

Oh and the blenny's been dubbed "Maru"

• Like 2

So, everyone's still eating!  Yay!  They're all actually MASSIVE pigs. I'm concerned I'm feeding to little.  What's really cool though, is I watched the seaweed blenny (Maru)  actually eat some of the dying branches of the caluerpa mexicana.  I think it's pretty cool.  I hope he eats some of the other algae I'm not a fan of that I'm seeing popping up.  It's also good to know I won't have to supplement his diet because he'll eat what's in there.  I mean, duh, but I'm not use to having animals all come from the seem ecosystem.

Having the starfish in the acclimate chamber/breederbox/clear plastic box with holes and suction cups presents some interesting observation for sure.  Its great to keep an eye on its wound (the hole in the disc that appears to be closing) but we're also able to observe it eating.  We took a video of it today with a very bossy Mr Cling photobombing and blocking the best part.

34011349374_21bb44d70c_c.jpg

Ugh, that hole is so gross! But its necessary to document and observe the health of my animals.  Let me tell you, IME draining abscesses from horses is disgusting, that's the only thing that one ups holes in the body for me... Followed by parasite removal (which is related to the hole thing) :mellow:

34011346304_6f0d030ac7_c.jpg

Photo bombing Mr Cling (and we fed him first...)

Starfish Eating:

34814782116_6754dd6556_c.jpg

Sponges are spongey.  The gorgonian had been laying on the chicken liver sponge for a couple days because we haven't glued anything yet.  It left an impression when I moved it today.  Hopefully we'll glue ish down this weekend for the FTS and release the serpent star (aka Ursula) in to the tank.

• Like 7
7 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

So, everyone's still eating!  Yay!  They're all actually MASSIVE pigs. I'm concerned I'm feeding to little.  What's really cool though, is I watched the seaweed blenny (Maru)  actually eat some of the dying branches of the caluerpa mexicana.  I think it's pretty cool.  I hope he eats some of the other algae I'm not a fan of that I'm seeing popping up.  It's also good to know I won't have to supplement his diet because he'll eat what's in there.  I mean, duh, but I'm not use to having animals all come from the seem ecosystem.

Having the starfish in the acclimate chamber/breederbox/clear plastic box with holes and suction cups presents some interesting observation for sure.  Its great to keep an eye on its wound (the hole in the disc that appears to be closing) but we're also able to observe it eating.  We took a video of it today with a very bossy Mr Cling photobombing and blocking the best part.

Ugh, that hole is so gross! But its necessary to document and observe the health of my animals.  Let me tell you, IME draining abscesses from horses is disgusting, that's the only thing that one ups holes in the body for me... Followed by parasite removal (which is related to the hole thing) :mellow:

Starfish Eating:

Sponges are spongey.  The gorgonian had been laying on the chicken liver sponge for a couple days because we haven't glued anything yet.  It left an impression when I moved it today.  Hopefully we'll glue ish down this weekend for the FTS and release the serpent star (aka Ursula) in to the tank.

:o

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

Starfish Eating:

That video of the Star eating was pretty cool. 

Boy, Mr. Cling sure did want to steal the food away from the Star!!

Looks like there's some type of Spaghetti Wormish critter in the rock that's in with the star, which is cool. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

That video of the Star eating was pretty cool. 

Boy, Mr. Cling sure did want to steal the food away from the Star!!

Looks like there's some type of Spaghetti Wormish critter in the rock that's in with the star, which is cool. 

I got an entire spaghetti bowl.  They're EVERYWHERE.  But they don't seem to bother anyone and the star doesn't seemed bothered so I guess they're okay.

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

I got an entire spaghetti bowl.  They're EVERYWHERE.  But they don't seem to bother anyone and the star doesn't seemed bothered so I guess they're okay.

Pass the Prego?  And parmesan? :lol:

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Lula_Mae said:

Pass the Prego?  And parmesan? :lol:

don't be gross... lol  blech

I hate pasta too.

4 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

don't be gross... lol  blech

I hate pasta too.

Well you're just a Poopy-head, I love Pasta!!

In fact, we almost had Spaghetti for dinner tonight, lol. 

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Weetabix7 said:

Well you're just a Poopy-head, I love Pasta!!

In fact, we almost had Spaghetti for dinner tonight, lol. 

I eat only angel hair pasta as shrimp scampi or red sauce with meatballs. lol  I'll also eat stuffed pastas and lasagna but the buck stops there.

Just now, lkoechle said:

I eat only angel hair pasta as shrimp scampi or red sauce with meatballs. lol  I'll also eat stuffed pastas and lasagna but the buck stops there.

Shes a communist or something.... I don't know whats wrong with her cuz even communist would eat pasta. But she is ruining my life!!!

1pdnms.jpg

• Like 3
fishfreak0114

Cool video!  It's great that the star is eating!  I could go for some spaghetti right about now...or stuffed tortellini!

• Like 3