ReefCleaners.org

Where the Wild Things Are: 100 Days (rezing the thread)

lkoechle

Golly, your tank is gorgeous! :happy:

P.S. Are you sure you've got enough flow?  Actually it's probably too much.  Know what?  The water level seems off. :rolleyes::P:lol:

Seriously, though, it's beautiful.

• Like 3
49 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

P.S. Are you sure you've got enough flow?  Actually it's probably too much.  Know what?  The water level seems off. 

omgomgomg:rant:omgomgomg:rant:omgomgomg:rant:

• Like 1

Looks good but wondering..............whats the live stock at now............I know it didn't all come in on the rock...........

23 minutes ago, spectra said:

Looks good but wondering..............whats the live stock at now............I know it didn't all come in on the rock...........

You must not have been reading.  Go back to the "vendor reveal".  

If you don't want to read that, here is the synopsis:

I paid $2something (50ish? 14? I get numbers confused I have to go back and look) for the rock and the sand as "the package" (which also includes CUC and whatever extras they feel like giving you at their discretion).  If you break it down and order rock and sand separately from TBS, that means I spent $10 on "extras".  Its all laid out in @skoechle's post.  I havent spent any money on anything else.

so $10 is what I am at in livestock.

28 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

You must not have been reading.  Go back to the "vendor reveal".  

If you don't want to read that, here is the synopsis:

I paid $2something (50ish? 14? I get numbers confused I have to go back and look) for the rock and the sand as "the package" (which also includes CUC and whatever extras they feel like giving you at their discretion).  If you break it down and order rock and sand separately from TBS, that means I spent $10 on "extras".  Its all laid out in @skoechle's post.  I havent spent any money on anything else.

so $10 is what I am at in livestock.

Well have read it................saw the pics when the rock showed up and well..........

2 minutes ago, spectra said:

Well have read it................saw the pics when the rock showed up and well..........

It all came with the rock, it really did. 

Have you looked at Tampa Bay Saltwater's site and how they do their "Package"?

I've wanted to do this very thing for AGES because of how Tampa Bay does things. 

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, spectra said:

Go to their RC page. Or their testimonials page. 

3 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

I've wanted to do this very thing for AGES because of how Tampa Bay does things. 

Well, to be devil's advocate - it may have come with the package but they aren't part of the rock so truthfully, I think values should be placed on some items. They aren't hitchhikers, they were pulled as part of the package which adds value. If I pulled a rock from my reef tank or someone gave me a live rock that had corals and macros on it, those items on the rock would've been assigned livestock value. Just like one of my rocks with mushies on it. I need to assign values to the mushroom corals even though they came with a rock I bought. Anyway, my two cents. But it's not up to me :) 

• Like 1
Just now, stellablue said:

Well, to be devil's advocate - it may have come with the package but they aren't part of the rock so truthfully, I think values should be placed on some items. They aren't hitchhikers, they were pulled as part of the package which adds value. If I pulled a rock from my reef tank or someone gave me a live rock that had corals and macros on it, those items on the rock would've been assigned livestock value. Just like one of my rocks with mushies on it. I need to assign values to the mushroom corals even though they came with a rock I bought. Anyway, my two cents. But it's not up to me :) 

We did break it down.  The cost difference between the package and buying rock and sand separately is $10.  Hence the $10 is the livestock value.  

You're suggesting sales don't matter and overall market value is what would be assigned to items anyways which would defeat the purpose of a "frugal" category.  Frugal is being a shrewd and smart shopper.  

If the judges want to assign different values, thats within their rights.  However, it would not be congruent with what I actually paid and would be misleading for anyone else looking to buy from TBS.

1 minute ago, lkoechle said:

We did break it down.  The cost difference between the package and buying rock and sand separately is $10.  Hence the $10 is the livestock value.  

You're suggesting sales don't matter and overall market value is what would be assigned to items anyways which would defeat the purpose of a "frugal" category.  Frugal is being a shrewd and smart shopper.  

If the judges want to assign different values, thats within their rights.  However, it would not be congruent with what I actually paid and would be misleading for anyone else looking to buy from TBS.

Right, I get that it's a good deal - and I'm not trying to say otherwise. But the rules said rock and sand weren't included in the budget. However, how do you value say a rock someone gave me with a large coral on it if I didn't pay? I have stuff that people have given me for no charge that I have in my tank and am assigning livestock values to. It's not black and white and not my call obviously. When spectra mentioned that he was sending me zoas (for free) I was told they would need to have a value assigned so irregardless of what I paid, ill value it. How do I value macros I clipped from existing ones I have in my macro tank? That's where most of them came from so I technically didn't pay anything but need to assign a value. 

26 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Well if it came with the rock why is it not attached to said rock.......................?

That is what I am asking...........

I see NPS gorgonians in there and well why would hey just toss them in ?

Just now, spectra said:

Well if it came with the rock why is it not attached to said rock.......................?

Yes, that's what Tampa Bay does. 

Things like gorgonians, sponges, a CUC, etc are included with "the package". 

9 minutes ago, stellablue said:

Right, I get that it's a good deal - and I'm not trying to say otherwise. But the rules said rock and sand weren't included in the budget. However, how do you value say a rock someone gave me with a large coral on it if I didn't pay? I have stuff that people have given me for no charge that I have in my tank and am assigning livestock values to. It's not black and white and not my call obviously. When spectra mentioned that he was sending me zoas (for free) I was told they would need to have a value assigned so irregardless of what I paid, ill value it. How do I value macros I clipped from existing ones I have in my macro tank? That's where most of them came from so I technically didn't pay anything but need to assign a value. 

Sure, I get that. 

Although in this exact case, I don't think they're planning on adding much more at all in the way of livestock. 

The Package was 95% of it. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

The Package was 95% of it. 

100% of it.  We nixxed the idea of adding anything else.

2 minutes ago, stellablue said:

I would like everyone to know that we have had an on going conversation with the judges about valuation of our livestock since the arrival of the first part in week one. It is likely that it will be valued above the $10 we actually spent, however it has not yet been determined so the current value of $10 stands for now...

1 hour ago, spectra said:

It was collected on the rock. Separated for transport. Transported in the same shipment. 

27 minutes ago, spectra said:

Second shipment had the half the live rock

Just now, spectra said:

That is why its called "the package"...

• Like 5

I think everyone needs to calm down and I'm sorry if there are ruffled feathers - that was not my intent. I was just stating what my thoughts were. It's a fun contest and should be taken as such. It's a beautiful tank and I'm looking forward to seeing what else you discover:

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, skoechle said:

I would like everyone to know that we have had an on going conversation with the judges about valuation of our livestock since the arrival of the first part in week one. It is likely that it will be valued above the $10 we actually spent, however it has not yet been determined so the current value of $10 stands for now...

It was collected on the rock. Separated for transport. Transported in the same shipment. 

Second shipment had the half the live rock

That is why its called "the package"...

Well I look at it this way rock is one thing and well if not attached to said rock it needs a value placed on it.......I could have said well look at my rock it came with this..............Hell I have a bunch of rock I could have cherry picked but didn't........

I will say rock and tank looks great but just not buying the 10 dollar thing ;) 

I am not in this contest to win a dam thing.........I just did it for the fun of it.............

1 minute ago, stellablue said:

I think everyone needs to calm down and I'm sorry if there are ruffled feathers - that was not my intent. I was just stating what my thoughts were. It's a fun contest and should be taken as such. It's a beautiful tank and I'm looking forward to seeing what else you discover:

Kettle :lol:

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, spectra said:

I will say rock and tank looks great but just not buying the 10 dollar thing ;) 

Yeah but it's a dick move to doubt the integrity of a fellow contestant when it can be so easily validated.  You can see for yourself if you go to their site or, once again, their ReefCentral page.  However, it seems you have chosen not to do so and instead choose to imply we are dishonest and are sneaking things into our tank. 

@stellablue's views are perfectly valid, yours on the other hand hit below the belt and are not appreciated one bit.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

Yeah but it's a dick move to doubt the integrity of a fellow contestant when it can be so easily validated.  You can see for yourself if you go to their site or, once again, their ReefCentral page.  However, it seems you have chosen not to do so and instead choose to imply we are dishonest and are sneaking things into our tank. 

@stellablue's views are perfectly valid, yours on the other hand hit below the belt and are not appreciated one bit.

:lol: Well I am a dick............I have been in this hobby since 94...........I call it like I see it...........Hell the internet wasn't even around when I started........

I just asked a question as I saw pics of the rocks and well no things were there then............granted you said things to come.........but they were not on said rocks. That is why I asked.........

This is a mute point to me................I will say this not trying to be a dick and well sorry if I came off that way.............this to me isn't even a contest I just joined for the hell of it as I wanted a tank for an angler.

I am done.............

Tank looks great to me as I have said before !

• Like 1