Pod Your Reef

Weetie's Zen Learning Experiment, Random Stuff

Weetabix7

3 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

I have lost 80% of my hearing, which means that I can only literally hear 20% of speech/sound.

However, according to another test they did, if I am looking at you, I can understand 92% of what you say.

Huh, interesting.  Is that because you can kind of read their lips?

I haven't had a hearing test since I was a kid.  But I can't distinguish speech very well in noisy situations.  If I'm with a group of people in a noisy environment, I can't even participate in the conversation.  It's frustrating, but I'm sure it's worse for you.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Wow!  I never would've guessed!  We weren't in a quiet restaurant either lol.  My guess is that your brain/body learned to compensate over the years as the hearing loss occurred, because 92% is pretty amazing!

See what I mean?

Most people that meet me don't realize til I tell them, but I try to always tell them so they realize I'm really not ignoring them when they talk to me while standing behind me. :lol:

And you're actually harder for me to hear than some cause you have a quiet voice.

3 minutes ago, seabass said:

Huh, interesting.  Is that because you can kind of read their lips?

I haven't had a hearing test since I was a kid.  But I can't distinguish speech very well in noisy situations.  If I'm with a group of people in a noisy environment, I can't even participate in the conversation.  It's frustrating, but I'm sure it's worse for you.

I'm like you, can't participate in group conversations cause I can't tell what's being said by the people not next to me. 

And yeah, frustrating. 

I sorta lip-read. 

I say sorta cause I don't actually watch people's lips/mouths when talking to them, I look in their eyes like most people do. 

Maybe I lip-read in my peripheral vision?

I don't actually know for sure how I do it, but there's a hugely noticeable difference between trying to converse with someone I can see versus someone I can't. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

See what I mean?

Most people that meet me don't realize til I tell them, but I try to always tell them so they realize I'm really not ignoring them when they talk to me while standing behind me. :lol:

And you're actually harder for me to hear than some cause you have a quiet voice.

It's true, my voice has soft tones (my dad's does too) that make it harder to hear.  I have to practically yell at my grandfathers to be heard! :lol:

• Haha 2

Hey guys, I'm just totally thinking out loud here, but you know what might be fun?

A Thermos Trade!!

It'd be like a frag trade/swap where everyone used a thermos like this to ship their frags in, just however much you could fit in the thermos: https://www.amazon.com/Chunky-Thermal-Container-Colors-2-Ounce/dp/B003IUBNOQ/ref=pd_sbs_79_42?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B003IUBNOQ&pd_rd_r=EGYEK2ZK6Z3ZXT3V5ZAH&pd_rd_w=Z46TR&pd_rd_wg=4Oj3V&psc=1&refRID=EGYEK2ZK6Z3ZXT3V5ZAH

BustytheSnowMaam

Hmm....I used to catch crawdads in the creek at day camp and put them in my Superfriends thermos to take home.  My mom loved me for that.  

I have nothing desirable or charismatic.  I have some toadstool leather frags I made, that would be my contribution.  Maybe a free shroom or two.  If anyone's up for that, I'm in.  Dumb question:  do you put them in bags, then the thermos?  I'm assuming you don't thrown them all bagless in the Thermos together.  Cause then it would look like chili.  

You used to blast that 80's music didn't you??  ;)  

I think my hearing is starting to go....I suspect it's from using a Walkman and headphones all the time when I was young.

1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

Hey guys, I'm just totally thinking out loud here, but you know what might be fun?

A Thermos Trade!!

I like this idea!  Wish I had stuff to trade. 

12 hours ago, tashayar said:

Hmm....I used to catch crawdads in the creek at day camp and put them in my Superfriends thermos to take home.  My mom loved me for that.  

This made me :lol: cause it's exactly the kind of thing I used to do when I was a kid, except in my case it was catching baby frogs and taking them home. 

12 hours ago, tashayar said:

I have nothing desirable or charismatic.  I have some toadstool leather frags I made, that would be my contribution.  Maybe a free shroom or two.  If anyone's up for that, I'm in.  Dumb question:  do you put them in bags, then the thermos?  I'm assuming you don't thrown them all bagless in the Thermos together.  Cause then it would look like chili.  

Why are you devaluing what you have?

I like Toadstool Leathers myself. 

And on the Mushrooms, are they those blue ones you used to have? Cause those are really pretty and I actually commented to someone on a thread yesterday that I like those and hate that I never see them for sale anymore. 

To answer your question, you put them in small bags with a little water, then put the bags in the thermos. 

12 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

You used to blast that 80's music didn't you??  ;)  

I think my hearing is starting to go....I suspect it's from using a Walkman and headphones all the time when I was young.

I like this idea!  Wish I had stuff to trade. 

You do. 

See my comments above. 

I wouldn't want to do it immediately, was thinking of a ship out date of Sept. 12 if there's enough interest. 

It would be a little cooler then and that would give people time to frag things and allow frags to stabilize and grow a little, and also time to get their thermos and bags to ship, etc. 

Oh, and my 14yo son is the one who blasts the '80's music, lol. 

I did use a Walkman and headphones but my hearing loss started when I was in 4th grade and is due to nerve damage in my inner ear. 

BustytheSnowMaam

I'm not devaluing it, I guess I just realize it's not as desirable as the pretty yellow sarcophytons.  It's just a plain pink toadie.  They're pretty when they get large.  A lot of things I have reef-wise I keep because they remind me of someone or were given to me by someone.  I keep the toadie because it reminds me of Tinyreef, he liked them too and he is such a great person.  I had a big knowledge crush on him and he gave me my refugium.  I keep the purple mushies  and allow the occasional green gazing ball because they remind me of you.  @plainrt gave me my anemone, so that makes me think of him and aspire that one day I hope I can keep a tank that looks 1/10th as good as his.  I'm a sentimental one, I guess (*wipes tear).  

So yes, still have the purple mushies, I have these green striped mushies, toadies, and this really cool Thermos that was part of my first lunchbox.  Though, I don't know if I can sacrifice the Thermos :D.  

IMG_7431.JPG

IMG_7433.JPG

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, tashayar said:

I'm not devaluing it, I guess I just realize it's not as desirable as the pretty yellow sarcophytons.  It's just a plain pink toadie.  They're pretty when they get large.  A lot of things I have reef-wise I keep because they remind me of someone or were given to me by someone.  I keep the toadie because it reminds me of Tinyreef, he liked them too and he is such a great person.  I had a big knowledge crush on him and he gave me my refugium.  I keep the purple mushies  and allow the occasional green gazing ball because they remind me of you.  @plainrt gave me my anemone, so that makes me think of him and aspire that one day I hope I can keep a tank that looks 1/10th as good as his.  I'm a sentimental one, I guess (*wipes tear).  

So yes, still have the purple mushies, I have these green striped mushies, toadies, and this really cool Thermos that was part of my first lunchbox.  Though, I don't know if I can sacrifice the Thermos :D.  

IMG_7431.JPG

IMG_7433.JPG

Awww!! :grouphug:

:sniff:

I love those purple/blue mushrooms, and I kept things for the same reasons, though I had to start fresh when I got back into this. 

Lol at green gazing balls. 

I loved Tinyreef and Plainrt too. 

Oh, hey, I'm thinking of trying to make my own "moss balls" which I guess could be the new version of green gazing balls maybe?

I have this giant thing of Cladophora, which is super cool and makes the most amazing habitat for microfauna, they absolutely LOVE it, and I'm thinking of trying to cut off small portions of the ends of it and see if I can get them to grow. 

Call 'em "Weetie's Moss Balls" maybe?

Also, you should definitely not give up that thermos, you could just get one off Amazon Prime from my link earlier or find your own. There's a few cheap ones. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Just now, debbeach13 said:

I miss a lot of the old reefers. Kind of like being home sick.

Yeah, same here. 

That's not to say that I'm not grateful for new Reefing friends though.

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

I miss a lot of the old reefers. Kind of like being home sick.

Me too.

rul1ek75_1.gif
I can't believe it's been more than 5 years now. :(
Miss you Jer.

• Like 3
59 minutes ago, seabass said:

Me too.

rul1ek75_1.gif
I can't believe it's been more than 5 years now. :(
Miss you Jer.

Yeah. 

I still have a few old PM's from him, I refuse to delete them. :closedeyes:

• Like 4
5 hours ago, tashayar said:

IMG_7431.JPG

IMG_7433.JPG

Is your toadie anything like this?

s-l500.jpg

Because I would totally buy a frag of that.  I love your purple mushrooms too, always loved the look in your 10 gallon TOTM of that giant rock just covered in purple shrooms, it looked so lush and fluffy!  I don't have anything to trade at present but I would totally buy frags of both from you if you're looking to sell. :)

Oh, and I would NEVER get rid of a thermos like that!

• Like 4

That thermos :wub:

And I'd be up for a thermos frag trade, that's a great idea! 

I joined after Tinyreef was no longer posting, and I had no idea my made up NR name was an apparent copy of a popular member :lol:

• Like 2
BustytheSnowMaam
17 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Is your toadie anything like this?

I think my toadie might be a tad different- yours looks more long-tentacled possibly?  Here's a pic of mine from above, it's about 10-12 inches across, depending on its mood.  I can post a pic of the frags I made as soon as I delete some of the 2.492 photos on my phone <_<.  I want to let them grow out a bit more before I send them but I think I still have shipping bags and would be happy to send you some.  I love the undulating surface of their captitulum (the top part).  While some toadies have a skinny trunk, this type's trunk is wide in relation to the captitulum.  

IMG_3186.JPG

• Like 2
BustytheSnowMaam
22 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Oh, hey, I'm thinking of trying to make my own "moss balls" which I guess could be the new version of green gazing balls maybe?

I have this giant thing of Cladophora, which is super cool and makes the most amazing habitat for microfauna, they absolutely LOVE it, and I'm thinking of trying to cut off small portions of the ends of it and see if I can get them to grow. 

Call 'em "Weetie's Moss Balls" maybe?

Also, you should definitely not give up that thermos, you could just get one off Amazon Prime from my link earlier or find your own. There's a few cheap ones. 

Yes, I think I've seen this at my LFS and noticed there were lots of microstars thriving within.  As long as it's not invasive, I'd love to try it.  

Yeah, will keep the thermos.  I used that thermos and lunchbox until I was 7 or so, then I ditched it because the older kids on the bus were calling it "Shitty Shitty Bong Bong" :angry:.  Then I got a Superfriends one.  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, tashayar said:

Yes, I think I've seen this at my LFS and noticed there were lots of microstars thriving within.  As long as it's not invasive, I'd love to try it.  

Ok, I'll get to work on making a few cuttings from my big Cladophora island then. 

Not sure if you've seen it yet, but here's a pic of it from my other tank thread:

P1070105

and no, pretty sure it's not invasive. 

• Like 4
BustytheSnowMaam

Those mini-stars are cute.  Are they different from the white ones or do they just look darker?

also do you know the species name of that algae?

4 minutes ago, tashayar said:

Those mini-stars are cute.  Are they different from the white ones or do they just look darker?

also do you know the species name of that algae?

I think they're just the grown up version of them. 

As in, I think the tiny white Micro Stars (which I also have) grow up to look like that. 

It's called Cladophora Prolifera. 

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, tashayar said:

I think my toadie might be a tad different- yours looks more long-tentacled possibly?  Here's a pic of mine from above, it's about 10-12 inches across, depending on its mood.  I can post a pic of the frags I made as soon as I delete some of the 2.492 photos on my phone <_<.  I want to let them grow out a bit more before I send them but I think I still have shipping bags and would be happy to send you some.  I love the undulating surface of their captitulum (the top part).  While some toadies have a skinny trunk, this type's trunk is wide in relation to the captitulum.  

IMG_3186.JPG

That was actually a pic from an ebay auction I lost at the last second lol.  I do like your toadie though, and I'm not in a rush!  Let them grow out a bit and let me know when they're ready and I'll be happy to buy a frag and a mushroom or two from you. :happy:

• Like 1
On 8/19/2017 at 2:18 PM, tashayar said:

I just made some golf ball sized Cladophora cuttings for a Mud 'n Bugs 'n Macro listing that I hope to have up later tonight, I can link it here for you once it's up. :happy:

• Like 4