Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Weetie's Zen Learning Experiment, Random Stuff

Weetabix7

Nixperience
1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

Quick question, is changing out carbon something that might typically irritate a Leather coral?

Leathers just shed or tear themselves from time to time. 

20 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

Leathers just shed or tear themselves from time to time. 

Yeah, I know, I'm just feeling slightly nervous about it cause of the timing and cause I use that Leather as my "indicator coral" to tell me if things are off balance in the tank, and it got all squinched up just hours before I'm supposed to add some really nice new Macros. 

And speaking of that....... I HAVE MACROS!!!!

Lots and lots of beautiful new macros are floating in my tank right now, and it looks like there's a good chance I'll be able to offer some new stuff for sale a couple weeks down the road. 

Love Gulf Coast Ecosystems, he took good care of me, will post a review for them tonight or tomorrow. 

• Like 13
12 minutes ago, Berlibee said:

Nice! Post some pics! ;)

I won't be able to post any pics of them in the tank til tomorrow cause lights are off. 

Only pics I have now are of them in the bag. 

I got a bunch of really nice stuff tho, I'm super happy. :happydance:

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

I won't be able to post any pics of them in the tank til tomorrow cause lights are off. 

Only pics I have now are of them in the bag. 

I got a bunch of really nice stuff tho, I'm super happy. :happydance:

Yes, they have indeed very nice value of these packs. omgomgomg

15 hours ago, stellablue said:

I can't wait to see what you got!!

Well speaking of that, check out pics of my new Macros and a review of live-plants.com here: 

I got more Macros than what I have pics of yet, but I need to charge the camera battery to get more pics. 

• Like 7
  • 3 weeks later...

Stomatella and Cerith Snails are successfully reproducing in my tank!!!

I knew the Ceriths had been laying eggs, but I've seen that before and never seen babies from it. 

I've seen teensy weensy babies of both snails now tho!!

They probably love the forest in my tank right now. 

• Like 8
15 minutes ago, RayWhisperer said:

Weetie gonna put the hurt on John Maloney in a few more months.

Lol!!

Actually this is probably good, cause this way I won't need to get more snails for the 40B. 

22 minutes ago, seabass said:

That's so cool.  I've seen tons of cerith eggs, but never any babies.

That's what always happened to me before too!!

fishfreak0114

How awesome!  I wish I had stomatellas reproducing in my tank, but I only have one, maybe two at most.  The limpets have multiplied like crazy though!  Got any pics of the cute baby snails?

7 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

How awesome!  I wish I had stomatellas reproducing in my tank, but I only have one, maybe two at most.  The limpets have multiplied like crazy though!  Got any pics of the cute baby snails?

Omg, I would totally trade you Stomies for Limpets!!!

Maybe on my next trip to Canada, lol. 

No pics yet, was just trying to clean up (the tank) for company without the Clown eating my hand. 

She thinks it's tasty or something. :rolleyes:

And I still gotta figure out how to upload to flickr and use it. 

I'm horribly slow about doing stuff like that. 

• Like 2

Omg, guess what I just realized!!

When I got the live sand and little critters for my birthday, I said it was because I wanted to have a tank that was bursting with a healthy microfauna population. 

Well, now that I have Cerith and Stomatella babies, it's worked, I've done it!!

• Like 10
fishfreak0114

I think I may have gotten a teeny stomatella on the red macro from last weekend.  That would make two.  Let's hope they multiply!  I wish I knew where to buy micro fauna up here, it sounds like yours is working really well for you!  I can't wait to see what else blooms :)

On a side note, remember that maybe whelk I got?  Well, it's no longer an issue.  I had put a cerith in with it and the worm to see if it was a snail eater, and the next morning, both were just shells!  The worm ate the snails!  That's the only logical explanation I came up with at least.  Needless to say, I didn't drop that worm into my tank.

44 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I think I may have gotten a teeny stomatella on the red macro from last weekend.  That would make two.  Let's hope they multiply!  I wish I knew where to buy micro fauna up here, it sounds like yours is working really well for you!  I can't wait to see what else blooms :)

On a side note, remember that maybe whelk I got?  Well, it's no longer an issue.  I had put a cerith in with it and the worm to see if it was a snail eater, and the next morning, both were just shells!  The worm ate the snails!  That's the only logical explanation I came up with at least.  Needless to say, I didn't drop that worm into my tank.

:blink:

Congrats on your baby stomas and ceriths Weetie!

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Ooh, that was good thinking on your part!!

13 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

:blink:

Congrats on your baby stomas and ceriths Weetie!

Thank you!!

49 minutes ago, TinyOcean said:

Weetabix7!  I haven't been on in forever but things are looking fantastic! Way to go!

Hey, thanks, nice to see you in these parts!!!

MedievalITGuy

I've been lurking on this thread for a while, and let me just say that I think it's amazing what you've done with these two tanks! Really cool stuff!

On a semi-related note, there was mention a couple pages back of possibly staring a macro support group. I'd love to be a part of something like that. I've tried to keep macros a couple of times, and it seems the only thing I can't nuke is chaeto. It seems that information on keeping them healthy is few and far between online, just generic advice like "they like nitrates".

• Like 2
1 hour ago, MedievalITGuy said:

I've been lurking on this thread for a while, and let me just say that I think it's amazing what you've done with these two tanks! Really cool stuff!

On a semi-related note, there was mention a couple pages back of possibly staring a macro support group. I'd love to be a part of something like that. I've tried to keep macros a couple of times, and it seems the only thing I can't nuke is chaeto. It seems that information on keeping them healthy is few and far between online, just generic advice like "they like nitrates".

Hey, thanks, I really appreciate that, also appreciate you contributing to the conversation on the Zen Bus. 

The Waterfall Tank has remained super stable and healthy after being up for 7 months. Corals are growing and reproducing, strong Pod population, and the Overflow Return seems to be turning into a Semi-Cryptic Refugium with lots of little white sponges colonizing it. 

The Macro Tank has been a total "lets see what happens" venture but it has ultimately led me to setting up an Experimental Macroalgae 40 Breeder that I hope will be wet next week. It's super close. It is also my hope that that tank thread will have a lot of info on how to successfully keep a wide variety of Macroalgaes, so you should get your wish on that. 

That tank will have 3 different kinds of lighting, will start out with 2 different types of substrates with hopefully others experimented with as well and just all kindsa funky, cool stuff going on. 

• Like 7
Thunder Goose

Awesome. It's nice to see people experimenting with new things. It seems like a lot of the information out there is just SPS, SPS, SPS.

• Like 1

One of the craziest thing I have ever seen in a tank was the stomatella spawning ritual.  They all crawled out to the ledges under the moonlight and reared back to do a little dance before turning the tank milky white with snail baby juice.  I like your approach to reefing.  I have been trying a laissez faire reefing policy myself to see where it goes.  

• Like 4
On 7/14/2017 at 6:19 PM, Weetabix7 said:

Omg, guess what I just realized!!

When I got the live sand and little critters for my birthday, I said it was because I wanted to have a tank that was bursting with a healthy microfauna population. 

Well, now that I have Cerith and Stomatella babies, it's worked, I've done it!!

IIRC, you dose/feed phytoplankton.  That can be extremely important in maintaining these populations.  That, and not stocking voracious predators of this fauna.  It also helps that the macroalgae provides cover for the fauna, while also utilizing the excess nutrients from the phyto.

• Like 1
HammerLover

Congrats on the babies! :flower:

I had bad luck with cerith snails damn hermits always killing them for shells even though I provided them empty shells lol

• Like 1