Pod Your Reef

Lula Mae's 1.6ish gallons of whatever I want to put in it--tank updates and news and stuff

Lula_Mae

28 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Thanks, me too!  I figure I can at least give it a try so others know whether it's a viable option or not.  Now I just need to find a lamp for it. :wacko:

I bet!  I'm guessing the curvature adds to the challenge of positioning it optimally.  Is there any issue with at least getting coverage over all the compartments?

Also, I finally just added a timer to my lights.  Hopefully I've programmed it correctly so it goes off tonight when it's supposed to! :lol:

Good guess, the curvature does affect it. If I can find a way to mount it so it shines straight down, it's not an issue, but I don't have a way to do that yet, and am working on a tight budget until I'm able to raise more funds. 

39 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

Get tweezers and feed your rics mysis.  I promise you they will eat them.  I think I have a video of mine eating one somewhere.  

Nope, can't find it.  You'll just have to trust me. lol  It also ate Rod's.

I'll have to pick some up next time I'm out, I know I saw some at Petco in their freezer.  It'll be my first time feeding frozen!

When I had my first 5.5 and a gorgeous green St. Thomas, once an amphipod got dislodged by the current of the powerhead.  The current sent it flying across the tank, into a U-turn at the corner, and then it shot straight into the St. Thomas's mouth.  I'm not sure who was more shocked, but the St. Thomas certainly enjoyed his unexpected free meal! :lol: One of the funniest things I've seen in my tanks yet lol.

22 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Good guess, the curvature does affect it. If I can find a way to mount it so it shines straight down, it's not an issue, but I don't have a way to do that yet, and am working on a tight budget until I'm able to raise more funds. 

Gotcha.  Yeah, I want my lamp to shine straight down too so am trying to find a lamp that will allow that and also allow me to adjust the height since I've got so many softies and don't want to shock them!

This is one thing I am considering using: https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Reptile-Lamp-Stand/dp/B000255OUO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489009747&sr=8-1&keywords=zoo+med+lamp+stand

Someone else mentioned it on a thread somewhere and it has great adjustability. Only thing is, you have to get the bulb socket separately, I think, but I believe you can find those pretty cheap, like around $5. 

HammerLover

I really missed alot T~T college drained my energy and time these past few weeks so Im kind of inactive.

those corals look nice!

18 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

This is one thing I am considering using: https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Reptile-Lamp-Stand/dp/B000255OUO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489009747&sr=8-1&keywords=zoo+med+lamp+stand

Someone else mentioned it on a thread somewhere and it has great adjustability. Only thing is, you have to get the bulb socket separately, I think, but I believe you can find those pretty cheap, like around $5. 

I think I saw that, it is one to consider.  I do wonder if the tank is heavy enough to hold it lol.  Or will I need to rig something up/figure out a way to use the table/stand to hold it?

3 hours ago, HammerLover said:

I really missed alot T~T college drained my energy and time these past few weeks so Im kind of inactive.

those corals look nice!

Hey good to see ya!  I totally understand, college takes a lot of time and energy!  Hope your jar is doing well!

Reef Gardener package arrives today!  Can't wait to see my goodies! omgomgomg

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

With the water in it, I bet the tank is heavy enough. 

Probably so.  Guess I'll find out if I get it lol

Acclimations are happening. :ninja:

• Like 1

Reef Gardener order came today!  Everything is acclimated and in the tank now, albeit a little haphazardly.  Snapped a few quick pics.

Before adding the new stuff, I noticed that everything looked huge and fluffy and happy!  Here's happy rics: :happydance:
IMG_20170309_160912217_zpssg93zsnc.jpg

And happy zoas--I was shocked at how huge they are! :D
IMG_20170309_160906885_zpsdf43xrq1.jpg

Last FTS before adding new stuffs:
IMG_20170309_160857556_zps2nwmagdu.jpg

Now for the new stuff!  I didn't take many pics while acclimating since I sorta had an assembly line going (acclimate, dip, place, repeat) so I just have pics here of everything in the tank.

First: blastos!  Purple rims and minty green centers. And a green Paly grandis polyp.  When I dipped the blastos, a tiny brittle star came out of it!  I rescued it with a chopstick and plopped it in the tank.  I did see it moving on its own so I hope it will be ok.  The blastos have a couple skeletons at the back from where a couple polyps died, and I don't know what this reddish stuff is growing on it, it seems to be hard/calcified.  Any ideas? :unsure:
IMG_20170309_173700819_zpsqqxb9qir.jpg

I got a few new rics, a mandarin orange one and a purple-orange rainbow and purplish ric pair.  Can't wait for them to settle in and puff up!  They are pretty much in the center of the pic, you can tell they are new because they're all pinched up lol.
IMG_20170309_173847428_HDR_zpsduiibtz9.j

Discosoma carlgreni!  She sent me pics and I had to have them.  The one up top is violet-blue and should have a spot of orange on it somewhere (I haven't looked too closely) and the big lower one is blue-violet with a lime green mouth!  Long ago, I had an aqua-blue-green-turquoise colored one from Coral Morphologic.  It moved around on the rock and left four babies in its wake!  If these do that I'll have a big ol' carlgreni garden lol.
IMG_20170309_173810855_zpsy6nbmhji.jpg

St. Thomas mushies!  Being mad right now.  I'm a little worried about the top one as he was upside down and his frag rock is kinda heavy.  Hope that he will be ok! :wacko:
IMG_20170309_173826774_zpspr4otphv.jpg

Turquoise trumpet like Gena's (sorry, a little out of focus and I didn't realize it).  Just behind it you can see a rock with two little Superman mushrooms.  I've wanted Superman mushies forever and they were a last minute addition but I love them.  From the right angle, the blue dots really pop!   :happy:
IMG_20170309_173929791_HDR_zpsjznhoqvm.j

Full tank shot:
IMG_20170309_173634214_HDR_zps7din8brj.j

Placement of everything is temporary at the moment and I just realized I knocked my little branching macro off the rock when placing the carlgreni's so I'll need to fix that lol. :rolleyes: Lights are off now so they can get used to my tank.  I'm very happy with the new additions and hope they will all be ok!  If anyone has placement suggestions for anything, let me know.  This will be my first time with trumpets and merlettis (I've tried a couple baby hammer frags but always lost them within a couple days so hoping for better luck with these guys.  Fingers crossed!). B)

• Like 4

I wonder if the red hard stuff are foraminiferans? I had some in my BC14 and I loved looking at their tiny little filaments coming out.

So exciting to see all the new stuff and the "older" mushies look so happy! Your little tank is really shaping up!

• Like 1

I was thinking foraminiferans for the hard red stuff too, Rain beat me to it!!

Everything looks REALLY nice!!!

Mushrooms are super hardy, so I bet the St. Thomas Mushroom will be looking much better tomorrow. 

The Blasto Merletti I had liked low flow and low light. One of my favorite corals!!!

Congrats on all the beautiful new additions!!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rain24 said:

I wonder if the red hard stuff are foraminiferans?

So exciting to see all the new stuff and the "older" mushies look so happy! Your little tank is really shaping up!

17 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

I was thinking foraminiferans for the hard red stuff too, Rain beat me to it!!

Everything looks REALLY nice!!!

Mushrooms are super hardy, so I bet the St. Thomas Mushroom will be looking much better tomorrow. 

The Blasto Merletti I had liked low flow and low light. One of my favorite corals!!!

Congrats on all the beautiful new additions!!

I don't think I've ever heard of foraminiferans!  I assume they are safe for the tank?  I haven't finished reading the article (will likely save for tomorrow) but it's interesting!  I actually looked in while ago and could see all the discosomas have inflated and puffed up a good bit lol.  The blasto looks less pinched up too.  Can't wait to see how they look once they get settled in and color up and I figure out where exactly to put stuff!  Thanks ya'll!  I'm very happy with all these beauties! :wub:

• Like 1

Great new additions :happydance:.  The trumpets will grow and grow and grow.  They make a ball shape. Mine is the size of a big grapefruit right now.  You can keep them trimmed to any size you want though.  I just love the ball shape that they can get when you let them run wild!  You'll probably want a little goby for it too.  They love to perch on them....very visually interesting :).

I am very interested in a goby, especially green banded gobies!  Can't remember if they perch though.

I came home to cloudy water! :wacko: Not sure what from, one of the St. Thomas had tumbled onto a ric so that might have caused it, and one of the carlgreni's mouth was gaping open, but it closed up a bit when I moved the two carlgreni's to a fancy soap dish frag rack temporarily.  Got water mixing for a water change at the moment.  I did check on Shelby and the feather duster, and both seem to be ok so I hope they will continue to be!  Everything still looks happy, so hopefully I've caught it in time.  I will need to go to the store for more distilled water tomorrow, though.

FTS:

IMG_20170310_203526888_zpszeohkdib.jpg

You can see things look more inflated than yesterday, which is good. 

IMG_20170310_203554245_zpsahp4xnvp.jpg

Fingers crossed it'll be just fine!

• Like 1

Love following your thread along with Weetie's. I'm learning that all sorts of things can temporarily house inhabitants - soap dishes, air plant containers... :lol:

Crossing my fingers for you that everything will be fine. This is one of my favorite tanks to watch! How's everything doing today?

14 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I am very interested in a goby, especially green banded gobies!  Can't remember if they perch though.

I came home to cloudy water! :wacko: Not sure what from, one of the St. Thomas had tumbled onto a ric so that might have caused it, and one of the carlgreni's mouth was gaping open, but it closed up a bit when I moved the two carlgreni's to a fancy soap dish frag rack temporarily.  Got water mixing for a water change at the moment.  I did check on Shelby and the feather duster, and both seem to be ok so I hope they will continue to be!  Everything still looks happy, so hopefully I've caught it in time.  I will need to go to the store for more distilled water tomorrow, though.

FTS:

IMG_20170310_203526888_zpszeohkdib.jpg

You can see things look more inflated than yesterday, which is good. 

IMG_20170310_203554245_zpsahp4xnvp.jpg

Fingers crossed it'll be just fine!

I bet it was from the St. Thomas & Ric meet up. 

I know it's scary seeing it cloudy like that, but it looks to me that with things still opening up as well as they are that you caught it in time. 

Putting those 2 in the soap dish was excellent thinking!!!

Think you'll be able to get a WC in today?

Oh, also, I love green banded gobies!!!

I haven't seen them around lately, really wouldn't mind getting one myself. 

8 hours ago, Rain24 said:

Love following your thread along with Weetie's. I'm learning that all sorts of things can temporarily house inhabitants - soap dishes, air plant containers... :lol:

Crossing my fingers for you that everything will be fine. This is one of my favorite tanks to watch! How's everything doing today?

Haha yeah it's pretty amazing what can be used in a tank!  I remember c est ma (who's tank inspired me) used to have a little shot glass or something to hold a baby plate coral--her LR had a spot that would generate new baby plates every so often!

Everything still looks happy today so I'm happy about that.  Gonna move some stuff around in a bit.

7 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

I bet it was from the St. Thomas & Ric meet up. 

I know it's scary seeing it cloudy like that, but it looks to me that with things still opening up as well as they are that you caught it in time. 

Putting those 2 in the soap dish was excellent thinking!!!

Think you'll be able to get a WC in today?

Oh, also, I love green banded gobies!!!

I haven't seen them around lately, really wouldn't mind getting one myself. 

I think so too, stuff still looks good today even though I didn't get the water changed last night (forgot to plug in the heater for the water change water until just before bed :rolleyes: decided to do it today lol).  I will be changing the water after I finish making everybody mad in a bit lol.  I took out a couple of the rocks on the right intending to glue some corals down and then realized I needed some epoxy so I left it and went to run my errands.  Got a couple gallons of distilled water (Wal-mart was out but Target had some, mebbe people raided Wal-mart with the snow predictions from this weekend/next week lol).

I've actually never seen GBG's in person, but will be asking a couple LFS about the possibility of ordering.  Otherwise I'll probably just go through LiveAquaria.  I just think they are super adorable in pictures!  Wondering if two will be way too much bioload for this tank lol.

Oh, and when I was moving the rocks earlier, Shelby was under one of them and started furiously waving her pom poms threateningly at me! :lol:

• Like 3
1 hour ago, hedgeclipper2 said:

Poor Shelby!!!

Haha yeah, Shelby is sooooo mad at me right now!

57 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Shelby is the best!!

I think I'd just put 1 GBG in and only consider adding another if it stays super stable. 

:wub:

I think that is probably wise, and what I was kind of thinking too.  Slow and steady wins the race!

30 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

They're not "hiders" if that's what you mean. 

I don't think so, anyway.

That's good to know, I was hoping they wouldn't be super shy.  Fingers crossed I find one with as much personality as Shelby! :lol:

I just did some aquascaping, it was my first time working with epoxy putty so that was interesting.  Everything is mad right now but I did a water change and immediately started water for another tomorrow.  I put the trumpets on the rock on the right and was going to add the blastos beside but when I glued them on, the rock started tilting forward because the two of them were too heavy for it lol.  It left a nice big superglue spot so I glued the zoas over top...maybe too much turquoise on that side of the tank but oh well...hopefully I can move them later if I need to lol.  Blastos are still in the sand.  One of the carlgrenis jumped from the soap dish twice so I carefully glued his teeny rubble bits to a bigger piece of rubble.  Both carlgrenis are still in the soap dish along with blue scroll.  Not sure where to put it.  Think I may need to use a small rock to lift up the rock the trumpet is on to give a touch more height.  Shelby will appreciate me bringing back some of her caves!

Attempted to feed frozen mysis for the first time tonight!  Since it was my first time, I decided to try them whole rather than fussing with cutting them up.  I found the trumpets and carlgrenis took them, no problem, and the St. Thomas and most of the rics ignored them.  The blastos seemed to like the smaller pieces.

Happy carlgreni!  On the open one, you can see his couple of orange spots at the top.  And you can see the macro is regaining his blue sheen! :happydance:
IMG_20170312_210203658_zpsacbaes4i.jpg

Fat happy mouths:
IMG_20170312_210755550_zpssx0ue2cm.jpg

Happy trumpets.  I think I gave them two each (after they polished off the first, I offered a second).  Too much?  Too little?  I wasn't sure but didn't want to overdo it.  In the middle of the zoa patch, you can see that one of the zoas somehow caught a shrimp and the tail of the shrimp is sticking out of the closed polyp! :lol:
IMG_20170312_210803163_zpsbthintp5.jpg

The greenish ric second from right has a shrimp head disappearing into its mouth. Om nom nom! :o
IMG_20170312_210609867_zpsksi5xnbq.jpg

Somehow, two of the blasto heads caught each end of the same shrimp, and ended up looking like Lady & the Tramp with spaghetti! :lol:
IMG_20170312_212921886_zpsh8wgemz7.jpg

I was a little worried but kept an eye on them (though I didn't know what I would do if I needed to intervene lol), and just a few minutes ago, I saw that the top polyp lost the battle. :closedeyes:
IMG_20170312_221807243_zpsatbugzdn.jpg

Lastly, Shelby molted!  It's a little hard to see her in these pics as she's hiding in the corner, but she's kind of sitting on it lol.  I dropped a mysis near her to see what she would do, and her claw with the pom shot out and CAUGHT the shrimp momentarily!  She dropped it right after but then appeared to be nibbling on something on the nem so maybe she just wanted a snack.  I'm thinking maybe her new shell hasn't finished hardening and maybe that's why she's not coming out/not interested in the shrimp or pellets right now.  She says, "Molting is hard work, Mom!"
It's just left and under her in this pic:
IMG_20170312_205251540_zpseskfxrye.jpg

Here you can see her tucked up under the heater, with happy trumpets and the zoa eating a shrimp below and to the left. :)
IMG_20170312_212852733_zps0ezvuryl.jpg

Here's all the rics with mysis just sitting there, like toddlers clamping their mouths shut and shaking their heads no at the food they were offered!  Silly shrooms! :rolleyes: (I'd laid the mysis carefully over their mouths, in this pic the shrimp have shifted a bit).  You can see there's a shrunken up baby ric at the bottom, I am guessing he doesn't like the light?  Think I'll scoot him over into the shade of the big rock and see how he likes it.
IMG_20170312_212844299_zpsa6wmceum.jpg

Everything has looked good today.  The zoas were closed up much of the day, I think because the trumpet's slime was irritating them, but they eventually opened up as the slime went away and afterward looked happy.  Everything else has been opened up nicely and inflating beautifully, so whatever the cloudiness was, it appears to have done no permanent damage.  Dropped in some Kent's Microvert after the mysis and will be changing the water and sucking up all those uneaten shrimps lol.

Random question--there are a LOT of mysis leftover.  Can they be refrigerated and reused in the next couple days?  Or do they need to be tossed?  I'm wondering if I can cut the frozen cubes in half because one makes waaaaay too much lol.  Also, any advice on feeding is appreciated because I am very much a feeding noob. :blush:

I did notice my red palm macro has a small branch turning white, and I'm not sure what's causing it.  Hopefully the new light will come soon and see if that helps it (I found out it hasn't shipped because apparently the price of the bulbs was accidentally marked down to the same price as the closeout bulbs...hope it goes out tomorrow or Tuesday).  Hope that will also help my leggy zoas shrink back down!

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Random question--there are a LOT of mysis leftover.  Can they be refrigerated and reused in the next couple days?  Or do they need to be tossed?  I'm wondering if I can cut the frozen cubes in half because one makes waaaaay too much lol.  Also, any advice on feeding is appreciated because I am very much a feeding noob. :blush:

You can cut the cubes, in my tank and my friends we usually cut the cubes in thirds. You can de-thaw the entire cube and keep leftovers in the fridge, but I wouldn't recommend more than 2 or so days. 

Awesome to see a molting as well!

Holy wow, so much amazing stuff happening!!!

I love it, things are looking super good!!

I always shave a little bit off a cube with a sharp knife and then defrost just the little bit. 

One cube actually lasts me forever, lol. 

Seriously, it's looking really, really good in here!!!