Top Shelf Aquatics

Lula Mae's 1.6ish gallons of whatever I want to put in it--tank updates and news and stuff

Lula_Mae

1 minute ago, Weetabix7 said:

I like Costa Rica Peaberry, and I have friends with the last name Doka!! They don't own a Coffee Plantation though. They'd probably have me for a neighbor if they did, lol. 

I'll be driving fairly close to Charlotte on my way to Charleston, and I'm going to 3 different Reef Stores, so I'll be having LOTS of fun!!

Ooooh that WILL be fun!  I need to figure out where the reef stores are in Charlotte, the one I used to go to closed a couple years ago.  Got some nice Florida LR there once, loaded with hitchhikers!  Tomorrow I will probably settle for going to Target or something haha.  No need to tempt myself with things I don't need to buy yet!

• Like 1

Good luck on your interview tomorrow! Sounds like lots of things are perking up in the tank - woohoo!

I hope you and Weetie get a chance to get together at some point. It's fun getting to meet a Nano Reefer in person!

• Like 1
Weetabix7
5 hours ago, Rain24 said:

Good luck on your interview tomorrow! Sounds like lots of things are perking up in the tank - woohoo!

I hope you and Weetie get a chance to get together at some point. It's fun getting to meet a Nano Reefer in person!

I hope we do too!!!

And yes, it is!!!

I've been fortunate enough to meet several, even had one very memorable and amazing 5 day cross-country trip that was spent entirely with friends I became close to on N-R. 

I still have mementos on my wall from it. 

• Like 5
23 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

It's still got a little lump of flesh so I'm just gonna leave it in and see if it decides to grow back.  I do recall hearing it doesn't ship well so I'm not surprised it melted after the move.  Violet is definitely a cute and funny little stinker!

I hope yours does a zombie imitation like mine did :D.

I also hope the interview went really well and the job is right for you!

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Rain24 said:

Thanks!  Tank is perking up except the green grandis paly which is closed up weird.

18 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

I hope we do too!!!

And yes, it is!!!

I've been fortunate enough to meet several, even had one very memorable and amazing 5 day cross-country trip that was spent entirely with friends I became close to on N-R. 

I still have mementos on my wall from it. 

+1 that'd be pretty cool.  That road trip sounds hecka fun haha!

3 hours ago, gena said:

I hope yours does a zombie imitation like mine did :D.

I also hope the interview went really well and the job is right for you!

I hope so too, thought the blob seems to have disappeared.  Still leaving it in the water in hopes a few cells survived lol.

I think it went ok.  I definitely flubbed up a couple times (I hate scenario questions!) but I am still going for a peer interview next week and hopefully shadowing as well soon.  Would love to work there!

Also, I uploaded some pics last night but it took so long I was too tired to put them up, maybe I can do that if I can find them again lol.

• Like 5
9 minutes ago, seabass said:

@Lula_Mae, these are the greatest supply valves, and you don't have to alter the plumbing at all (it's totally reversible).  You just unscrew the cold water connection (just above the shut off valve) and install one of these; then reconnect the cold water connection.  Plus, it's not unsightly like the faucet adapters.

200041-reverse-osmosis-ro-john-guest-angle-stop-valve--qc-grouped-a.jpg

Reposting for my own future reference (discussion on RO/DI units on here).

• Like 2

I know I've been pretty lax on updates, and hopefully I will remedy that soon.  It's been an eventful week!  I got a call Monday last week requesting an interview, interviewed the next day, Wednesday went to the aquarium with my family, Thursday night shadowed where I had interviewed to see which department I liked better, Saturday was Dad's birthday party (60 is a big deal!), church Sunday, Monday prepping for interview, and today the interview with a peer group, then some shopping in the city (looking for a food for Violet to replace one of hers that is discontinued and I'm running low on), then home.  Soon as I got home, I got a call from the manager where I'd interviewed telling me the peer group liked me a lot and wanting to know if I'd decided on a department and when I told her that was my top choice, she said she'd forward my application to HR so they could give me a call to discuss benefits and such, which sounds very, very promising!  I am thinking a celebratory coral order may be, well, in order.  Haha.  Once I get an official offer of course.  I'm so thrilled!  It's somewhere I've been interested in working for years and tried to get into right out of school, but didn't have the right experience, and now I do!  Wahoo!

Also, I joined instagram yesterday so if you are there, find me and follow me!  Here is a pic of the tank from tonight.

• Like 10
50 minutes ago, SaltyBuddha said:

Congrats on the interview and the potential offer coming up! Tank looks great after the move. Following you on the gram as well :lol:

:lol: after all these years, I finally caved so I can share Violet and the tanquito with the world lol

1 minute ago, Rain24 said:

Sounds like everything is on the upswing! I am so glad! Your tanquito looks good too!

Thanks!  The red palm macro has had some die off, the grandis paly I got when I returned Shelby is unhappy and my favorite, purple centered blasto looks pretty rough.  I dipped the two corals and am giving them a light vacation tomorrow.  I think I also lost the little leather frag that was shoved in the back.  I never did get it attached to anything. :( The purple edge, green center blastos are HUGE and fluffy, and I think a fourth head is sprouting!  And the green blastos, which are on the edge of the skeleton of what I think used to be another blasto polyp, seem to have flesh filling in on the inside of the skeleton.  And the big green grandis paly's baby is getting bigger!  About the size of a pencil eraser and recognizable as a paly now!  AND I am pretty sure the feather duster has regrown a tube!  Not sure if it's solid yet but best I can tell, there is a tube there.  Going to try to look when I do a water change probably tomorrow. 

I think I am going to try to upgrade this tank.  I have the original 2.3 gallon tank with me, and a 2.7 that needs serious cleaning and is currently housing some cycling rubble bits lol.  I have enough room for one of those on the table where the tank is right now.  I left the 3ish gallon with my husband since there was no room for it in the cars and told my husband he could put his betta in it for now if he wanted (I bought him a Spec V but he didn't want to open it and set it up till the move lol).

Fingers crossed for a call from HR in the next day or so! fingerscrossed

ETA: I want to upgrade because space is SO tight in this tank I can't work in it and that's the one thing I dislike about it--just too skinny!

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

:lol: after all these years, I finally caved so I can share Violet and the tanquito with the world lol

Thanks!  The red palm macro has had some die off, the grandis paly I got when I returned Shelby is unhappy and my favorite, purple centered blasto looks pretty rough.  I dipped the two corals and am giving them a light vacation tomorrow.  I think I also lost the little leather frag that was shoved in the back.  I never did get it attached to anything. :( The purple edge, green center blastos are HUGE and fluffy, and I think a fourth head is sprouting!  And the green blastos, which are on the edge of the skeleton of what I think used to be another blasto polyp, seem to have flesh filling in on the inside of the skeleton.  And the big green grandis paly's baby is getting bigger!  About the size of a pencil eraser and recognizable as a paly now!  AND I am pretty sure the feather duster has regrown a tube!  Not sure if it's solid yet but best I can tell, there is a tube there.  Going to try to look when I do a water change probably tomorrow. 

I think I am going to try to upgrade this tank.  I have the original 2.3 gallon tank with me, and a 2.7 that needs serious cleaning and is currently housing some cycling rubble bits lol.  I have enough room for one of those on the table where the tank is right now.  I left the 3ish gallon with my husband since there was no room for it in the cars and told my husband he could put his betta in it for now if he wanted (I bought him a Spec V but he didn't want to open it and set it up till the move lol).

Fingers crossed for a call from HR in the next day or so! fingerscrossed

ETA: I want to upgrade because space is SO tight in this tank I can't work in it and that's the one thing I dislike about it--just too skinny!

Hopefully they call you back! 

And I definitely understand the want to upgrade working in the tight space can be really frustrating. I really get that feeling when I have to trim my Hemianthus Callitrichoides in my 2.7 gallon tank. Really hard to get even curved scissors positioned appropriately.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I know I've been pretty lax on updates, and hopefully I will remedy that soon.  It's been an eventful week!  I got a call Monday last week requesting an interview, interviewed the next day, Wednesday went to the aquarium with my family, Thursday night shadowed where I had interviewed to see which department I liked better, Saturday was Dad's birthday party (60 is a big deal!), church Sunday, Monday prepping for interview, and today the interview with a peer group, then some shopping in the city (looking for a food for Violet to replace one of hers that is discontinued and I'm running low on), then home.  Soon as I got home, I got a call from the manager where I'd interviewed telling me the peer group liked me a lot and wanting to know if I'd decided on a department and when I told her that was my top choice, she said she'd forward my application to HR so they could give me a call to discuss benefits and such, which sounds very, very promising!  I am thinking a celebratory coral order may be, well, in order.  Haha.  Once I get an official offer of course.  I'm so thrilled!  It's somewhere I've been interested in working for years and tried to get into right out of school, but didn't have the right experience, and now I do!  Wahoo!

Also, I joined instagram yesterday so if you are there, find me and follow me!  Here is a pic of the tank from tonight.

I am beyond thrilled for you, both for the job and how the tanquito is looking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Since I am a lazy slacker with getting tank pics up, I figured I would share a few pics from the aquarium we went to last week!

We went through a little section where they had a touch pool first, I petted a chocolate chip star and a couple urchins and a cleaner shrimp cleaned my hand!  Then the next section had a seahorse tank with potbelly seahorses!

IMG_20170503_121122353

This one was holding onto his fellow's neck...the one being used as a hitching post was just looking around all cool lol.

IMG_20170503_121131673

Next section had a big ol' lagoon tank with rays and a shovelnose guitarfish and sharks, but somehow I got no pictures.  But then there was a lionfish tank and one photobombed my pic...

IMG_20170503_121714391

Some of them were ginormous!

Across from the lionfish was their new octopus, they got her into a yellow basket so they could weigh her (they've been doing basket training to teach her it's a safe space).

Here she's up in the left upper corner of the tank.  There was an aquarium branded water bottle and a dismembered Mr. Potato Head in the tank lol.

IMG_20170503_141936559

Basket!  I think she's already in it in this pic.

IMG_20170503_142114512

HELLO PEOPLE ADMIRE MY BEAUTIOUS SUCTION CUP THINGIES!

IMG_20170503_142513812

Next was their ocean tank which houses sharks, rays, a sea turtle and fish!  There's even a tunnel to walk underneath.

Shark!

IMG_20170503_123034412

Ray!  Overhead, no less!

IMG_20170503_123010942

Different shark!

IMG_20170503_123112358

Speeding turtle!

IMG_20170503_124112874

Neptune was super hard to get a picture of lol.

IMG_20170503_124116530

Next was a room where there was a tank full of moon jellies.  They had a knob you could turn to make the color of the light change.  I definitely did not have fun turning them red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple.  Nope, not me!

IMG_20170503_124647543

We got to take a behind the scenes tour.  Let me tell ya, they have one heck of a protein skimmer for that 115,000 gallon ocean tank!  (Ok, they have two ginormous skimmers, not just one).  We also got to watch them feed the sea turtle, Neptune.  He has weights on his back to help him with diving cuz he got hit by a speed boat as a young turtle and it damaged his shell.

IMG_20170503_131608514

There's a couple of golden moray eels (I think) hanging around the barrel, I believe they're to be shipped out somewhere else.  And Neptune really liked his lettuce!  I took a video of Neptune enjoying his lettuce and will attempt to upload it so I can share it later.

• Like 6

In tanky news, my closed paly is still closed, my mad blasto is still mad, and drgibby's GSP isn't too happy right now.  I definitely lost the leather frag, it must have melted completely.  The feather duster has not built as much tube as I hoped but he has started on it.  The tank has gotten its upgrade tonight and I am tired lol.  Thinking I might start a new thread for it.

Also, I got a job offer today!  Need to call tomorrow to officially accept. :Domgomgomg:happydance:

• Like 7
2 minutes ago, Mkbarton said:

I went to the Okinawa aquarium with the whalesharks

IMG_1072.JPG

Hey that is pretty cool!  Must have been a massive tank!

This was actually a little aquarium in a mall but it's a lot closer than the beach lol (1 hr to this one vs 4+hrs to the beach).

• Like 1
mbarton2010
Just now, Lula_Mae said:

Hey that is pretty cool!  Must have been a massive tank!

This was actually a little aquarium in a mall but it's a lot closer than the beach lol (1 hr to this one vs 4+hrs to the beach).

Crazy big tank. 

Super excited for you about job!!!!

I think it's really encouraging that the featherduster is rebuiding even part of it's tube. 

Excited to see upgrade. :)

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I figured I would share a few pics from the aquarium we went to last week!

Neat pics of the aquarium you visited.  Which one was it?

Congrats on the job offer!!

10 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Super excited for you about job!!!!

I think it's really encouraging that the featherduster is rebuiding even part of it's tube. 

Excited to see upgrade. :)

Me too!  Except I called twice and left a message the first time and she never called me back... :unsure:  And I came home while ago to find the duster's crown laying on the bottom of the aquarium. :closedeyes:  Worm portion appears to still be where the small rebuilt tube portion is... I hope he can pull through.  Hope the other duster is doing ok, haven't seen him out yet.

8 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

Neat pics of the aquarium you visited.  Which one was it?

Congrats on the job offer!!

It was a small one, Sealife Aquarium in the Concord Mills Mall in Concord, NC.  Heckuva lot closer than the beach lol.  It was a nice little place!  And thanks...if HR lady would only call be back so I could talk to her about accepting it lol.

8 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Great news about the job offer and the feather duster. Nice pictures of the aquarium visit.

Thanks!  Hope Mr. Jumping Duster who lost his crown will be ok. :(

• Like 1

Since this tank has been officially decommissioned (for now) I direct your attention to the new thread.  Let's keep the party going! ;)

HammerLover

Wow @Lula_Mae Im so happy for you! And your tank had really progressed alot! Im really so so busy that Im very very inactive :owned:

summer school of 7 weeks with intense subjects are really draining. Love all those pics! 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, HammerLover said:

Wow @Lula_Mae Im so happy for you! And your tank had really progressed alot! Im really so so busy that Im very very inactive :owned:

summer school of 7 weeks with intense subjects are really draining. Love all those pics! 

Haha yeah physics and calc are killer.  I bet you're ecstatic to be almost done with them!  Be sure to follow over on the new thread!

• Like 1