Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Lula Mae's 1.6ish gallons of whatever I want to put in it--tank updates and news and stuff

Lula_Mae

13 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

I'd love to visit Seattle and Portland!! I've even considered moving to Portland in the past. I live in Greenville, SC now but have really been missing the West lately. 

I think you should do the Cookie Jar, fo realz. 

I read natalia's entire Reefbowl thread a couple days ago and have been following what brandon does for a bit now and I honestly think that approach would address and prevent all of the issues you had in the past and concerns you have now. 

Move to Portland so that I know reefers "in the area." LOL. Portland was on our radar too, but my husband's job was here.

You read the entire thread too? So did I! That's why I'm wandering all of the pico threads (right Lula Mae?). I'm trying to get all these ideas. I have a cookie jar picked out and in my shopping cart. Need to comb through natalia's thread again for my list of things to get. I was just in your thread too and ended up looking at your kickass food storage fuge DIY. This time around though I want something SIMPLE. Where can I start a planning thread where they won't yell at me for not having a tank yet? LOL.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Rain24 said:

Move to Portland so that I know reefers "in the area." LOL. Portland was on our radar too, but my husband's job was here.

You read the entire thread too? So did I! That's why I'm wandering all of the pico threads (right Lula Mae?). I'm trying to get all these ideas. I have a cookie jar picked out and in my shopping cart. Need to comb through natalia's thread again for my list of things to get. I was just in your thread too and ended up looking at your kickass food storage fuge DIY. This time around though I want something SIMPLE. Where can I start a planning thread where they won't yell at me for not having a tank yet? LOL.

Who cares if they yell at you, just start it, lol. 

Heck, I started a tank thread where I said I didn't know what I was doing yet but was moving forward anyway, had a tank that I hadn't cleaned in months with a damsel that was fed betta food when I remembered!! :blush: :P

Also, that fuge was a blast to make and worked great, but you're right, you should start off super simple. 

And also, we should maybe stop taking over other people's threads with this meandering discussion, so GO START YER OWN!! :happy:

• Like 2

:lol:

I hear good things about Seattle! :happy: I'm hoping to follow some of Brandon and Natalia's practices for this little tank and see how it turns out.  Couldn't hurt!

I moved from SC (bout an hour east of Columbia) to New England last fall and it took so long to get my tank set back up that my poor rocks had dried up, so I was left with nothing but two dwarf ceriths to start over.  It had been a long time since I'd really paid attention to the tank (last one had issues and I got discouraged when I couldn't keep things alive) but this reboot has given me fresh passion for the hobby and I'm loving interacting with other people who enjoy it too! :happy:

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

:lol:

I hear good things about Seattle! :happy: I'm hoping to follow some of Brandon and Natalia's practices for this little tank and see how it turns out.  Couldn't hurt!

I moved from SC (bout an hour east of Columbia) to New England last fall and it took so long to get my tank set back up that my poor rocks had dried up, so I was left with nothing but two dwarf ceriths to start over.  It had been a long time since I'd really paid attention to the tank (last one had issues and I got discouraged when I couldn't keep things alive) but this reboot has given me fresh passion for the hobby and I'm loving interacting with other people who enjoy it too! :happy:

You were in my state!!! 

Fishy Business in Columbia is where I just got my frags from yesterday!!

New England is a BIG change from SC, hope you're adjusting well. 

1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

You were in my state!!! 

Fishy Business in Columbia is where I just got my frags from yesterday!!

New England is a BIG change from SC, hope you're adjusting well. 

Yep!  I was there for two years but never visited any LFS's. :( My tank got topped off every few days and that was about it.  It's been interesting up here, but things are much better now that I've found work; much less stressful to know I can pay my bills lol.  Greenville is a nice part of SC, I have distant family there.  The hills make it very pretty!

Update pics!  

First things first: the ochtodes has some cyano. :closedeyes: Need to clean that up.
IMG_20170225_201227394_zpsjvxxisbt.jpg

Second: the peroxide dip for the hair algae has done wonders!  Gonna post pics to show the progression.
Immediately after the dip (day 1):
IMG_20170223_215341434_zpsafektdil.jpg

Day 2 (I had to wait to take this pic because somehow the frag had moved behind the rock beside it lol.  Wonder if my little nass snail was responsible for that?  Anyway, I moved it and made the zoas a little mad so had to wait for them to open back up):
IMG_20170224_2122037431_zpsckgoy2dy.jpg

Day 3:
IMG_20170225_201219411_zpsbzhzog6i.jpg

Yesterday (day 4):
IMG_20170226_223203811_zpsrtogscqy.jpg

Today (day 5):
IMG_20170227_181525952_zpsdkbkgejr.jpg

IMG_20170227_181532381_zps7spvapqz.jpg

It's almost completely gone!  I'll try to take the time to inspect it closely tomorrow if I get a chance to see if there is any more, but I am really happy that it either broke it down or made it so my little snails could take care of it!  Isn't it amazing?  Also, see the tiny red feather duster on the tiny black rock to the left!  Oh, and the random other zoa at the back right of the zoa frag lol.

Pom pom has picked a couple of favorite places to hang out (literally lol).  First is below the big rock:
IMG_20170225_201258821_zpsupn57fwa.jpg

Second is in this little cave:
IMG_20170227_181636577_zpsgx9bhmft.jpg

IMG_20170227_181649049_zpsfkpgpxn1.jpg

Feather duster (can you see the pom pom?)
IMG_20170227_181618048_zpsvxkftqyf.jpg

Lastly, I went to cut the lights off the other night and guess who was hanging out RIGHT in the front of the tank!?
IMG_20170224_232742606_zpsh5qz3he8.jpg

IMG_20170224_232759384_zpsywrkme9p.jpg

IMG_20170224_232910452_zpsfoqvyfpn.jpg

I even took a video!  Put it in HD so you can see the amazing details.  Enjoy!

Love that little cutie! :wub:

Tonight's FTS:
IMG_20170227_181605228_zpsflqv4bfl.jpg

I've placed a couple of orders for new pretty things that should be arriving Wednesday! omgomgomg I am super duper excited about it!  A little nervous about acclimating that many corals at once in this little tank lol.  Guess I'll just make sure to have water change water on hand in case I need it. B)

• Like 5

Isn't it?  It was one of Youtube's freebie pieces, I kept trying different ones and then that one picked up the beat right as she started to move and my husband and I both laughed and said "That's perfect!" :lol: Love how she's almost swaying to the beat, too lol.

• Like 1

I thought these were the zoas that disappeared after the dip. Glad they're doing well!

Your pompom crab vid is too cute! That music is perfect! I may have to get a better phone to take videos. However - priorities: reef jar first. :lol:

Can't wait to see what Wednesday brings!

• Like 1
21 hours ago, TinyOcean said:

Ermaaaagawd! That pompom just killed me with its cuteness! What a little ham!

Isn't she hilarious?!  I love this little gal! :wub:

21 hours ago, hedgeclipper2 said:

I love the Pom Pom!!!

Thanks!  I'm enjoying her a lot! :)

20 hours ago, Rain24 said:

I thought these were the zoas that disappeared after the dip. Glad they're doing well!

Your pompom crab vid is too cute! That music is perfect! I may have to get a better phone to take videos. However - priorities: reef jar first. :lol:

Nah, the one that disappeared was a sad lone polyp that hitchhiked in on my live rock rubble I'd gotten.  Still disappointing, though. :(

2 hours ago, hedgeclipper2 said:

Live Aquaria has Pom Pom's in stock..... SO TEMPTING!!!!

I got the email too!  Too bad I've spent my tank budget (and then some...) for the moment lol.  I'm not going to encourage you or anything, but you should totally get one! :lol: (I also love their dwarf feather dusters, the pink and white especially are gorgeous!)

20 hours ago, Rain24 said:

Oh, and I can't wait for tomorrow either! Though one order doesn't say if it has shipped yet...hmm...

On 2/27/2017 at 8:04 PM, Weetabix7 said:

Who cares if they yell at you, just start it, lol. 

Heck, I started a tank thread where I said I didn't know what I was doing yet but was moving forward anyway, had a tank that I hadn't cleaned in months with a damsel that was fed betta food when I remembered!! :blush: :P

Also, that fuge was a blast to make and worked great, but you're right, you should start off super simple. 

And also, we should maybe stop taking over other people's threads with this meandering discussion, so GO START YER OWN!! :happy:

I started a thread in May 2016 thats only now just wet :D  But hey, I stuck with my "9 month" promise.  I told them it would be would wet in 9 months right from the get go. :P

Lula, I love the Pom Pom.  I want one but I'm planning a puffer for this tank and I don't want it to get eaten... o.O  I would be sad. lol

• Like 1
hedgeclipper2
40 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I got the email too!  Too bad I've spent my tank budget (and then some...) for the moment lol.  I'm not going to encourage you or anything, but you should totally get one! :lol: (I also love their dwarf feather dusters, the pink and white especially are gorgeous!)

Well there goes $185!

I ordered 3 sexy shrimp, a pom pom crab, a feather duster (on sale!), green clown goby and two colonies of polyps (yellow and pink rays).

Ugh!  And I just bought an RODI system yesterday from BRS.

Bye money :tears:

• Like 1
11 hours ago, lkoechle said:

I started a thread in May 2016 thats only now just wet :D  But hey, I stuck with my "9 month" promise.  I told them it would be would wet in 9 months right from the get go. :P

Lula, I love the Pom Pom.  I want one but I'm planning a puffer for this tank and I don't want it to get eaten... o.O  I would be sad. lol

Thanks!  That would be a pricey little snack for the puffer lol. :huh: I would be sad too! 

11 hours ago, hedgeclipper2 said:

Well there goes $185!

I ordered 3 sexy shrimp, a pom pom crab, a feather duster (on sale!), green clown goby and two colonies of polyps (yellow and pink rays).

:lol: I'm not sure whether to disavow all responsibility for inspiring you to spend money, or claim full responsibility for helping beautify your reef!

It looks like my order from ReefGardener didn't ship last night so I won't be getting it today. :tears:

Just now, Lula_Mae said:

Just heard from Reef Gardener, package should ship today and arrive tomorrow!  omgomgomg

Hooraaaaay, cool stuff coming!!!!

12 hours ago, hedgeclipper2 said:

Well there goes $185!

Some things are worth it. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, lkoechle said:

Glad to hear that I won't be the only super-early thread starter! Gonna check out your thread too.

16 hours ago, hedgeclipper2 said:

Well there goes $185!

I'd love to know how your sexies and pom pom crab do in your tank!

4 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Just heard from Reef Gardener, package should ship today and arrive tomorrow!  omgomgomg

Is it tomorrow yet? I want to get a peek at the new goodies too. :D

• Like 1
hedgeclipper2
1 minute ago, Rain24 said:

I'd love to know how your sexies and pom pom crab do in your tank!

I hope they will do fine.  Everything I have read says they co-exist fine.

The sexies and pom pom are headed for the Micro-Reefs 4.3 pico tank so that I actually get to see them every once in a while.  I feel like they would get "lost" in my 20 gal drop off tank.

The corals, feather duster and green clown goby are destined for the 20gal tank.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, hedgeclipper2 said:

I hope they will do fine.  Everything I have read says they co-exist fine.

The sexies and pom pom are headed for the Micro-Reefs 4.3 pico tank so that I actually get to see them every once in a while.  I feel like they would get "lost" in my 20 gal drop off tank.

The corals, feather duster and green clown goby are destined for the 20gal tank.

I was more wondering later on how they'll do with your corals. Hoping they won't pick on anything too much (the sexies).

Where's your tank thread? I see you went with the Micro-Reefs. I saw an older post of yours where you were trying to decide between 3 different tanks. I'd love to see pics and follow the progress of your tank. I'm fascinated by the pico AIOs.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Rain24 said:

I was more wondering later on how they'll do with your corals. Hoping they won't pick on anything too much (the sexies).

Where's your tank thread? I see you went with the Micro-Reefs. I saw an older post of yours where you were trying to decide between 3 different tanks. I'd love to see pics and follow the progress of your tank. I'm fascinated by the pico AIOs.

Yeah, I'm interested in the hedgeclipper Micro-Reef as well. ;)

• Like 2
hedgeclipper2
27 minutes ago, Rain24 said:

24 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Yeah, I'm interested in the hedgeclipper Micro-Reef as well. ;)

Haha, I just finished a huge remodeling project (I work in real-estate foreclosures and I also flip houses on the side) so my personal life is just getting back on track with a couple of projects coming to a close.  The poor pico tank was just sand and cycled rock for several weeks.  I just got around to putting in a few frags I picked up from a LFS in my area (DFW) and putting them in yesterday.  I went with: Green Star Polyps, Kenya Tree, Devil's Hand Coral, Green Glove Polyps and a Green Mushroom for now (mostly cheap stuff just in case the shrimp get crazy and eat it!).  I did read that the sexies like to munch on Zoa skirts so I skipped out on any of those for that tank.  I guess I should start my own tank thread and stop hijacking this one.  Let me go take some pictures :) 

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, hedgeclipper2 said:

Haha, I just finished a huge remodeling project (I work in real-estate foreclosures and I also flip houses on the side) so my personal life is just getting back on track with a couple of projects coming to a close.  The poor pico tank was just sand and cycled rock for several weeks.  I just got around to putting in a few frags I picked up from a LFS in my area (DFW) and putting them in yesterday.  I went with: Green Star Polyps, Kenya Tree, Devil's Hand Coral, Green Glove Polyps and a Green Mushroom for now (mostly cheap stuff just in case the shrimp get crazy and eat it!).  I did read that the sexies like to munch on Zoa skirts so I skipped out on any of those for that tank.  I guess I should start my own tank thread and stop hijacking this one.  Let me go take some pictures :) 

Perfect!! 

5 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I love getting packages from her :).

• Like 1