ReefCleaners.org

Lula Mae's 1.6ish gallons of whatever I want to put in it--tank updates and news and stuff

Lula_Mae

natalia_la_loca

Sorry to hear that  :( I wonder what brings on that kind of behavior. The pom pom I bought was in a small tank with several other pom poms all (apparently) coexisting peacefully.

Sorry to hear about all of the tank troubles!

Also terrifying what happened too Shelby... eek!

Good luck with sorting all of this out!

8 hours ago, natalia_la_loca said:

Sorry to hear that  :( I wonder what brings on that kind of behavior. The pom pom I bought was in a small tank with several other pom poms all (apparently) coexisting peacefully.

No idea, this pom pom was in a critter keeper in the tank, with another pom pom, and we got it because it was a little bigger and I was worried Shelby might be overly aggressive about getting poms from a littler one!  Ugh, I should have gone with the smaller one like I wanted to.  :(

8 hours ago, Lisa166 said:

Oh wow, hope she'll be okay!

They look so cute! 

Me too, pom poms are super cute but this one was trouble!

7 hours ago, Lorekeeper said:

Sorry to hear about all of the tank troubles!

Also terrifying what happened too Shelby... eek!

Good luck with sorting all of this out!

Thanks Lorekeeper, and yeah, that was a horrifying moment of discovery.  Just thankful I found it when I did and not later!

2 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Aww poor Shelby, I hope she's alright!

Me too, she's been holed up under the side of the big rock all day.  She did eat the pellet I put in for her but I haven't seen her move (just noticed it was gone) all day.  I think she is probably traumatized, the poor girl.

Took the little turkey back to the LFS and got a grandis paly polyp instead.  Got it in a separate isolation/quarantine tank so as not to upset the delicate balance slowly being restored in the main tank.  The zoas look happy, if ugly brown, but there's some kind of brownish dots on the stalks...no idea what it is.  Feather duster is super happy and extended and the superman mushroom is nice and fluffy.  The grandis polyp in there is still shut up tight since I dipped it the other day in iodine...hope it will be ok.  May dip it again in case it's fending off an infection.  Have found a couple new micro feather dusters which I am happy about!  Dusters are my favorite. :wub:

Forgot to mention in all the excitement about cannibalistic crabs that I actually got an AquaClear 20 and put it on the tank yesterday, with the sponge and carbon in it.  Want to see about getting some filter floss or polyfilter to put in there instead of the sponge since that will probably get nasty.  The trumpet head that I isolated is slowly turning brown and receding.  Not sure it will survive. :(

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, natalia_la_loca said:

It's a good sign that she's eating. I imagine she could regenerate the leg when she molts.

That's what I'm hoping, but even if she doesn't, she could be my little seven-legged pom pom, which means she's extra lucky! :lol:

• Like 5
13 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

That's what I'm hoping, but even if she doesn't, she could be my little seven-legged pom pom, which means she's extra lucky! :lol:

Love it!!

I agree that it's a good sign that she's eating. 

You're still doing all the right things, no surprise, you're a smart chiquita. ;)

I agree that the trumpet may end up not making it, it's hit or miss right now, but you've really done everything you can for it. 

Really glad you got a HOB, I think the carbon will help a lot with the stress. 

Which will then help with your stress, it's a win/win!!

Holy crap! I've kept pom pom's in the past, didn't know they were cannibals!:blink: I really have high hopes for a total turn around for this tank!:flower: I agree with weetabix, carbon has definitely saved a few of my past tanks and hope it does the same for you :D 

2 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Love it!!

I agree that it's a good sign that she's eating. 

You're still doing all the right things, no surprise, you're a smart chiquita. ;)

I agree that the trumpet may end up not making it, it's hit or miss right now, but you've really done everything you can for it. 

Really glad you got a HOB, I think the carbon will help a lot with the stress. 

Which will then help with your stress, it's a win/win!!

I hope so, I offered her a pellet with tongs tonight, she reached for it but did not jump on the tongs like she usually does, so I think she feels pretty crummy right now, but hopefully she will come out for it in a bit.  I hope it will help with my stress cuz the last couple weeks have been ridiculous lol.

1 hour ago, ThePaontedFrogfish said:

Holy crap! I've kept pom pom's in the past, didn't know they were cannibals!:blink: I really have high hopes for a total turn around for this tank!:flower: I agree with weetabix, carbon has definitely saved a few of my past tanks and hope it does the same for you :D 

Yeah I had no idea!  I read a single report somewhere that a pom pom killed other things in the tank but it was the only one I ever read so I figured it was a one-off and solely that crab lol.  It may be a slow turn around while I'm unemployed but hopefully will get there eventually.  Wish I'd been able to get the filter sooner, but it is what it is.  Hoping for better things!

I did read something earlier tonight that blastos and other LPS can sometimes come back from a skeleton.  Anyone ever have that happen to them?  I left my original blasto skeleton in the tank because of the foraminiferans (sp?) but am wondering if a miracle can ever occur lol.

• Like 1

Oh, I forgot--on the grandis paly I got today, there was a stomatella!!!  I gently scraped it off since I was gonna dip the polyp in iodine and stuck it in the tank, and the little booger kept crawling on up my finger!  :lol: Haven't seen him since I added him though so I guess he found holes in the rock lol.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, gena said:

I've had two pom pom crabs behave that way before.  And then there were babies LOL. 

Yikes!  Haha did the one try to eat the other?

12 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Hooray for stomatella!!! I love them. 

And yeah, it's worth leaving the blasto skeleton in. :)

Me too!  Good to know, wish I'd realized before I took the other blasto frag skeleton out. :closedeyes: Oh, well, live and learn!

Shelby has been hiding all day but at least is alive.  Just dropped a pellet in for her to eat when she wants.

• Like 2

How is Shelby doing this morning? I'm kind of glad to hear that Evil Shirley is back at the LFS. I was kind of kidding when I mentioned the crab fights and also had no idea there would be eating going on. :scarry:

And here I am searching to see if her legs will grow back. It seems like they will?

I'll be over here, always rooting for Shelby!

12 hours ago, Rain24 said:

How is Shelby doing this morning? I'm kind of glad to hear that Evil Shirley is back at the LFS. I was kind of kidding when I mentioned the crab fights and also had no idea there would be eating going on. :scarry:

And here I am searching to see if her legs will grow back. It seems like they will?

I'll be over here, always rooting for Shelby!

Shelby is still alive but has refused to leave the rock as far as I can tell.  I did lift up the rock to make sure earlier, and she is definitely seven-legged and alive.  Poor gal!  I know you were just joking about it, I had no idea such carnage was possible!  :wacko:  I know it's possible for crustaceans to regenerate limbs and body parts over successive molts, guess we will just have to wait and see.

• Like 2

I turned on the lights a little bit ago and then just now went to look for Ms. Shelby...and saw this...

IMG_20170409_142255774

I put her in a little cup just in case she was actually moving and it wasn't just the water flow making movement, but I have seen nothing--not a whisker twitch, not anything.

IMG_20170409_142811613

My poor, sweet girl.  I'm gonna miss her spunkiness.

R.I.P. Shelby Feb 2017-Apr 09, 2017.

Edit: Err, just now I see a leg moving slowly...errr stay tuned? :unsure:

1 minute ago, Lula_Mae said:

I turned on the lights a little bit ago and then just now went to look for Ms. Shelby...and saw this...

IMG_20170409_142255774

I put her in a little cup just in case she was actually moving and it wasn't just the water flow making movement, but I have seen nothing--not a whisker twitch, not anything.

IMG_20170409_142811613

My poor, sweet girl.  I'm gonna miss her spunkiness.

R.I.P. Shelby Feb 2017-Apr 09, 2017.

Edit: Err, just now I see a leg moving slowly...errr stay tuned? :unsure:

Sorry for the loss :(

I dropped a pellet in the cup and there are definite movements but...I don't foresee something in this bad shape making it. :(

Soooo I'm sitting here staring intently at this poor crab, and then looking at the video, and then at my crab, and then at the video, and I had a realization...

IMG_20170409_152832136

Their patterns...don't match!!! :o:blink::blush::wacko:

If you look closely at the picture of the crab fight, the crab at the bottom, with poms (the crab who was eating the other crab's leg) looks a lot more like Shelby in the video than my currently dying crab does...

IMG_20170406_010247716

See, before I brought Shirley home, Shelby had no poms and had some fuzzy film on her legs.  The crab being eaten in the above picture had no poms and had some fuzzy film on her legs, so I assumed it was Shelby...

I'm so confused right now lol.  I may, in fact, have had a murderous Shelby on my hands and returned her to the store and kept a much shyer Shirley.  Oi!

7 minutes ago, J-Ranko said:

Sorry to hear about Shelby. :(  She seemed like quite the character in that video.

Thanks, yeah Shelby was a character! 

Oh my gosh Lula Mae, it would be just like Shelby and her feisty self to grab the pom poms for herself. I'm sorry your current crab is isn't doing well. :(

Um, so if you think the one in the store is the real Shelby, would you want her back?

• Like 1