Cultivated Reef

Lula Mae's 1.6ish gallons of whatever I want to put in it--tank updates and news and stuff

Lula_Mae

2 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Soooo I'm sitting here staring intently at this poor crab, and then looking at the video, and then at my crab, and then at the video, and I had a realization...

IMG_20170409_152832136

Their patterns...don't match!!! :o:blink::blush::wacko:

If you look closely at the picture of the crab fight, the crab at the bottom, with poms (the crab who was eating the other crab's leg) looks a lot more like Shelby in the video than my currently dying crab does...

IMG_20170406_010247716

See, before I brought Shirley home, Shelby had no poms and had some fuzzy film on her legs.  The crab being eaten in the above picture had no poms and had some fuzzy film on her legs, so I assumed it was Shelby...

I'm so confused right now lol.  I may, in fact, have had a murderous Shelby on my hands and returned her to the store and kept a much shyer Shirley.  Oi!

Holy Macaroni!!!! :blink:

This thread is like some kinda crazy Soap Opera Thriller, you just never know what's next!!

I'm afraid to even speculate!!

Is your life always this action packed? :huh:

7 minutes ago, Rain24 said:

Oh my gosh Lula Mae, it would be just like Shelby and her feisty self to grab the pom poms for herself. I'm sorry your current crab is isn't doing well. :(

Um, so if you think the one in the store is the real Shelby, would you want her back?

Yeah it would figure, wouldn't it?  :lol:  Would also explain the sudden shyness of "Shelby" the last few days, I had just chalked it up to being injured. :closedeyes:

That LFS is an hour away but even if it were close...I probably wouldn't go get her because I'd be afraid to ever add anything to the tank!  I was concerned about adding other inverts but was banking on pom pom's "peaceful" reputation. :rolleyes:  We see how well that worked out for me!

2 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Holy Macaroni!!!! :blink:

This thread is like some kinda crazy Soap Opera Thriller, you just never know what's next!!

I'm afraid to even speculate!!

Is your life always this action packed? :huh:

Believe it or not, I try to stay low-key and drama-free! :lol:  The last few weeks have been quite an exhausting whirlwind and I know things aren't done yet thanks to getting fired.  I am ready for some calm peace and quiet again lolol. :P

I'm trying NOT to speculate on what might be next because every time I think it's settling down, something else happens.  Blargh!

20 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Tune in next week to see Shelby's Amazing Comeback as she wins a gold medal at the Olympics under the Sea!!! omgomgomg:wizard:omgomgomg

:lol:

4 hours ago, Lisa166 said:

So much happening!! Is shelby/shirly still alive? 

No. :tears: There hasn't been any movement since yesterday afternoon, I think it's safe to say she has passed on to the great ocean in the sky. :(

1 minute ago, Rain24 said:

Aww, Lula Mae, I am so sorry to hear that. :tears: I was hoping she would somehow pull through.

How is everything else doing today?

Everything else looks great.  I put the ABI 50/50 bulb on the big tank (with lots of screening to shade my corals lol) and really like the spectrum, but it leaves shadows on the edges.  Don't think my lamp is strong enough to hold it so I can aim it where I want.  My blastos and grandis paly in their mini-tank are looking great too.  The only thing that doesn't look happy is my original grandis paly which has been closed tight for several days.  I gave it another dip in Lugol's last night.  Hope it pulls through and reopens soon.  The feather duster has thoroughly cemented itself onto the rock it's been beside lol. :lol:  Guess it likes it there!  My trumpets (well, trumpet, since only one head was left) in their isolation tank look terrible but I wasn't expecting them to live anyway. :closedeyes:

Glad to hear your blastos are doing great. I have a couple of new blasto frags I'm experimenting with.

That feather duster is a champ! I almost got one on Saturday but maybe I'll wait a bit more until the tank goes through this weird icky phase. I also ordered Lugol's just in case I need it.

I really, really hope your tank is on the upswing after what it's been through.

17 minutes ago, Rain24 said:

Glad to hear your blastos are doing great. I have a couple of new blasto frags I'm experimenting with.

That feather duster is a champ! I almost got one on Saturday but maybe I'll wait a bit more until the tank goes through this weird icky phase. I also ordered Lugol's just in case I need it.

I really, really hope your tank is on the upswing after what it's been through.

Me, too.  Now that I have almost nothing left lol.  I've been very impressed with the duster, it just keeps on kicking!  Lugol's is always a good idea (except for inverts lol).  I highly recommend dusters as they are so pretty swaying in the current!  If you ever order from LiveAquaria, they have dwarf ones, the pink and white are my favorite!  But yellow are pretty too.  Haven't gotten a white one yet.  Had planned to order some soon until I lost my job. :closedeyes:

I meant to tell you that I was very sorry to hear that you lost your job. I hope this means something better is just around the corner!

You are tempting me with the words "dwarf" and "pink and white." If I ever get over my shipping sticker shock, I might try ordering online.

2 minutes ago, Rain24 said:

I meant to tell you that I was very sorry to hear that you lost your job. I hope this means something better is just around the corner!

You are tempting me with the words "dwarf" and "pink and white." If I ever get over my shipping sticker shock, I might try ordering online.

Haha yeah it is tempting!  I got my first one when I got my first pom pom from them (had no LFS to speak of at the time).  Let me see if I can find a picture of some of them in my tank.  If you do order online, I recommend just saving up and making a purchase large enough to justify the shipping expense (for me, at least $100 if I'm paying $35+ for shipping...and I think LA does free shipping over $149).  Sometimes with LiveAquaria I will also purchase freshwater livestock for my freshwater tanks (something to think about if you have any ;)).

Thanks for the sympathies, it sucks to get "jobbed" as my husband referred to it (I was fired on the word of someone who has a history of getting people fired...wish I'd known that sooner!) but maybe I can move into something I love better.

Here's a picture of an old tank, on the left is the yellow feather duster, on the right is a very pale pink and white (you could barely tell there was pink).
IMG_20160106_195428677_zpsudgun6go.jpg

And here is my pink and white in the same tank.
IMG_20160106_195132955_zpsy2cg6jx6.jpg

Sadly he had abandoned his tube in shipping and never did find a spot to settle down so he died after a couple of weeks, poor thing.

• Like 1
natalia_la_loca

Are you 100% sure your pom pom is dead and not a molt?

I ask because I once thought I'd lost a pom pom but later found the crab alive and well. Their molts can be very lifelike.  And the crab hides for a while after molting as it waits for the shell to harden.

4 minutes ago, natalia_la_loca said:

Are you 100% sure your pom pom is dead and not a molt?

I ask because I once thought I'd lost a pom pom but later found the crab alive and well. Their molts can be very lifelike.  And the crab hides for a while after molting as it waits for the shell to harden.

Yes. :( I have had molts before and wanted to be sure so I put it in a cup of water yesterday.  I noticed a little bit of movement of the legs while it was in the cup, especially after I dropped a pellet in.  Gradually, though, there was no more movement and today the cup of water was starting to stink. :unsure: Guess she just was too beat up from the fight (when we found them, she was not even moving or fighting back as her leg was being eaten, as though she'd had all the fight beaten out of her).  Poor girl.  I feel so badly for her.

2 minutes ago, Rain24 said:

Oh, that pink and white is so pretty!!! :wub:

Isn't it?!  Looking forward to having one again--and I think the dusters just popped against the black sand!

5 minutes ago, natalia_la_loca said:

Sorry to hear that :( Thought it was worth asking.

Thanks :closedeyes: wish it were only her molt!  Definitely worth an ask, for sure.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, HammerLover said:

Aww that's sad to hear she passed away. 

But at least you've got some killer fanworms! Love those colors!

Thanks!  I only had the one until I went to Petco today (the yellow and the pink and white were in a tank that is long gone)... :ninja: Fanworms are some of my favorites though! :wub:

2 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

So does that mean you have more than one now, hmmmmm? :D

Maaaaaaybe... :D

Once acclimations are done will come pictoors, I promise.

• Like 2