Top Shelf Aquatics

Lula Mae's 1.6ish gallons of whatever I want to put in it--tank updates and news and stuff

Lula_Mae

Walmart might have, but lowes is a better bet. if you have a Harbor Freight near you, they're cheaper and works well too.

They're pretty much pliers with sharp scissor like edges.

1 minute ago, Draco said:

Walmart might have, but lowes is a better bet. if you have a Harbor Freight near you, they're cheaper and works well too.

They're pretty much pliers with sharp scissor like edges.

I don't, we do have Tractor Supply though.  I'll take a look next time I go to town.  Maybe I'll google a pic for reference. :lol:

Coffee first, always. 

Funnily enough, I have a cooler I need to clean out too after some tank stuff last night. 

Wait, no, I gotta do more tank stuff in the cooler to prepare for new fishy arrival today. 

Sooo, on second thought...... Let's Coffee together!!!

(yes, Coffee most assuredly is a verb AND a noun!!!)

18 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Coffee first, always. 

Funnily enough, I have a cooler I need to clean out too after some tank stuff last night. 

Wait, no, I gotta do more tank stuff in the cooler to prepare for new fishy arrival today. 

Sooo, on second thought...... Let's Coffee together!!!

(yes, Coffee most assuredly is a verb AND a noun!!!)

Haha sounds like a plan.  Cooking some eggs so I'm not coffee-ing on an empty stomach.  Also cuz I like food.

Yay new fishie incoming!  Looking forward to my own saltwater fish someday lol.  Maybe once things settle down a little.  Or a lot.  Haha.

Going to be figuring out state residency stuff today.  Hoo...ray?

6 hours ago, money88 said:

Ya or you could always order online there are plenty of options but this is just one

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-sps-coral-bone-cutter.html

Thanks, I discovered there actually is a Harbor Freight in town now and though I didn't find bone cutters, I did find some big wire cutters and they worked just fine.

4 hours ago, Lisa166 said:

Did someone say coffee?omgomgomg

Yes, yes we did. ;)

Just turned the light on and snipped off all the frag plug stems.  Am worried about my purple-center blastos as they are so retracted I can't tell if it's actually tissue recession or they're just really mad.  The acans also don't look too hot, super retracted and some red on the edge of one or two that is either cyano or melted tissue or something like that. :(  Lastly, my newer feather duster has abandoned his tube!!!  and has moved to the back of that rock.  Am super worried for him now, he's tucked in a crevice but his feathers are not all out.  :unsure:

Honestly, you have good reason to worry about the featherduster, it's not good when they leave their tube. 

You know what I'm gonna say here, right?

Do a lugol's dip on the irritated corals. 

It brought back my Brain frag that I was sure I was gonna lose. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Honestly, you have good reason to worry about the featherduster, it's not good when they leave their tube. 

You know what I'm gonna say here, right?

Do a lugol's dip on the irritated corals. 

It brought back my Brain frag that I was sure I was gonna lose. 

I know, I had one that jumped its tube in shipping once and lived just a couple weeks, never did find a place to settle.  Fingers crossed for my fluffy dusty!

Haha I was just thinking I'd better do one.  Did you dip it daily until it recovered?  Or just once?

7 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I know, I had one that jumped its tube in shipping once and lived just a couple weeks, never did find a place to settle.  Fingers crossed for my fluffy dusty!

Haha I was just thinking I'd better do one.  Did you dip it daily until it recovered?  Or just once?

I did it 2 days in row, once each day, then I left it alone. 

I also kept the light out for 2 days. 

4 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

I did it 2 days in row, once each day, then I left it alone. 

I also kept the light out for 2 days. 

Think I'll probably turn the lights out and leave them off for a day or two, just wanted them to get some light today after two days without it.  Going to mix some water for a change too, as I think the tank looks ever so slightly cloudy.

Oh, did you feed your brain during that time?

2 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Think I'll probably turn the lights out and leave them off for a day or two, just wanted them to get some light today after two days without it.  Going to mix some water for a change too, as I think the tank looks ever so slightly cloudy.

Oh, did you feed your brain during that time?

I think I fed it on the 3rd day. I do understand you wanting to have light after it being without light from the trip. 

It sounds as if you might be having a bacterial bloom. 

I'd definitely do a WC, and if you have any way at all to add carbon filtration, I'd do it. 

3 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

I think I fed it on the 3rd day. I do understand you wanting to have light after it being without light from the trip. 

It sounds as if you might be having a bacterial bloom. 

I'd definitely do a WC, and if you have any way at all to add carbon filtration, I'd do it. 

I have carbon but it's a couple weeks old.  I need to find my box of carbon and AC bags so I can put in fresh stuff.  If I can't find it I might run into town as there's a PetSmart here now.

Bacterial bloom--you think just from the stress of the trip?  Or possible damage to the corals in transit?

6 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I have carbon but it's a couple weeks old.  I need to find my box of carbon and AC bags so I can put in fresh stuff.  If I can't find it I might run into town as there's a PetSmart here now.

Bacterial bloom--you think just from the stress of the trip?  Or possible damage to the corals in transit?

Honestly, I'm not certain of cause. 

I will say that bacterial blooms usually seem to happen when things are out of balance. 

I'd put in fresh carbon, don't reuse old. 

24 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Honestly, I'm not certain of cause. 

I will say that bacterial blooms usually seem to happen when things are out of balance. 

I'd put in fresh carbon, don't reuse old. 

Found my carbon and bags, now have fresh carbon.  It's just API stuff my hubby picked up but it's better than nothing!  Water change water is mixing, somehow a spider found its way into my mixing bucket overnight.  He found salt water doesn't agree with him. :unsure:

Yeah things are definitely out of balance right now.  Sad cuz it was looking so good before the move!  Fingers crossed I can get it to pick back up.

• Like 1

Well, I found what may have been the culprit--I thought, "Wait, where is my xenia?"  It had fallen behind the right rock and is pretty well melted I think, a few very tiny and puny looking strands.  I did do about a 50% water change (didn't want to drain too much since the duster is exposed where he is wrapped around the rock in back).  Will likely change some tomorrow too but the cloudiness is pretty well gone.  Xenia got some Lugol's time, of course, but not sure it will make it.  Too bad cuz I really loved it! :(

• Like 1

xenia is a weird coral.  I bumped a small section of mine while cleaning one day.  A few days later it started to disintegrate.  I cut it with scissors to get it out of there.  Now what flesh was left of that small clump is growing new little tiny heads.  If you love it, I'd try it again after your tank is settled from the move.  I loved your Violent/hot dog story :D.  Hedgies are too cute.

• Like 1
SaltyBuddha

Ahh man. Hope the WC made the tank better! I'm super worried about moving/transporting the tank in the future. At least we have smaller tanks to make it easier. Love the cooler idea too.

How is everything going now?

Weetabix7

Of course we all want to know how the tank is doing, but how are you getting settled in in your new location?

I know it's crazy and chaotic in the beginning, but here's hoping you're seeing some positive things in the midst of the chaos. :flower:

• Like 2
On 4/30/2017 at 2:42 PM, gena said:

xenia is a weird coral.  I bumped a small section of mine while cleaning one day.  A few days later it started to disintegrate.  I cut it with scissors to get it out of there.  Now what flesh was left of that small clump is growing new little tiny heads.  If you love it, I'd try it again after your tank is settled from the move.  I loved your Violent/hot dog story :D.  Hedgies are too cute.

It's still got a little lump of flesh so I'm just gonna leave it in and see if it decides to grow back.  I do recall hearing it doesn't ship well so I'm not surprised it melted after the move.  Violet is definitely a cute and funny little stinker!

On 4/30/2017 at 3:27 PM, Nidilsky said:

It might take a little bit. My mom is religious, did you want me to ask her to pray for em?

Haha thanks, I don't think it'll be necessary though. :)

23 hours ago, SaltyBuddha said:

Ahh man. Hope the WC made the tank better! I'm super worried about moving/transporting the tank in the future. At least we have smaller tanks to make it easier. Love the cooler idea too.

How is everything going now?

Yes, smaller tanks are definitely easier!  I've heard of people partially emptying and moving their tanks like that but I'd be afraid of rocks falling and crushing things.  I dried the tank out and packed my equipment in it lol.

2 hours ago, Rain24 said:

How are things doing today? I'm sorry that your tank is going through a phase. I can totally sympathize.

The tank is doing pretty well.  I haven't done any more Lugol's dips or water changes like I planned :rolleyes: but I did do two days of lights out and it seems to have helped.  I took some pictures but haven't uploaded them yet lol.  The blasto that was receding got nice and puffy with lights on yesterday--you can definitely tell it has receded but it was looking much happier.  The acans are no longer flush with the skeleton but are starting to puff out a little bit.  The xenia is just a blob of flesh but hoping it'll eventually regrow.  The big green grandis paly is partially closed for a couple days so I may dip it just because.  Weetie's GSP is happy as a lark, though drgibby's is not.  Hoping to glue it to the background now that I've got superglue.  The feather duster that jumped his tube is still there.  It's hard to see him because the AquaClear is in the way but I am hoping I see the beginnings of a tube rebuild in progress! fingerscrossed He's wedged himself in the crevice between the two stacked rocks which may make future aquascaping a pain but I think he is worth it. :wub: I've tried to disturb the tank as little as possible (and when I did the water change only drained to just above where he is) to give him the best chance of survival.  I'm planning to give everything a few days to get used to lights on again and then start re-acclimating to the LED bulb from Reef Radiance that I was using before the move.

1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

Of course we all want to know how the tank is doing, but how are you getting settled in in your new location?

I know it's crazy and chaotic in the beginning, but here's hoping you're seeing some positive things in the midst of the chaos. :flower:

I'm getting settled in, I have been so tired though!  Haven't gotten nearly as much done as I hoped.  Staying with family but they made some closet space for me so I will have somewhere to put stuff so it's out of the way and not piled in the living room haha.  The best news is, I received a call today and now have an interview scheduled for tomorrow!!!  For a job I applied for a week or two ago.  I'm super excited.  It may not be the place for me, but hey, it's worth a shot!

• Like 6
Weetabix7

OMG, interview!!!!!! omgomgomg

Moving REALLY exhausts me, so I certainly understand the fatigue. 

I'd happily share coffee with you, but my good coffee doesn't come in til tomorrow. 

Wanna pop by then?

I'm going thru Columbia to Charleston this weekend, will wave as I pass your general vicinity. :)

2 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

OMG, interview!!!!!! omgomgomg

Moving REALLY exhausts me, so I certainly understand the fatigue. 

I'd happily share coffee with you, but my good coffee doesn't come in til tomorrow. 

Wanna pop by then?

I'm going thru Columbia to Charleston this weekend, will wave as I pass your general vicinity. :)

Sure, I love coffee!  I got to go to a coffee plantation when I was in Costa Rica, it was great!  They had little carafes set up with their own roasts all along the tour, my favorite was their peaberry blend.  Doka Coffee Plantation, I believe was the name. 

Haha that's great, I will be in Charlotte for the interview tomorrow morning, I'm about an hour east of there right now.  I never actually made it to Charleston when I was in SC but want to go someday, I bet you will have a great time!

Weetabix7
1 minute ago, Lula_Mae said:

Sure, I love coffee!  I got to go to a coffee plantation when I was in Costa Rica, it was great!  They had little carafes set up with their own roasts all along the tour, my favorite was their peaberry blend.  Doka Coffee Plantation, I believe was the name. 

Haha that's great, I will be in Charlotte for the interview tomorrow morning, I'm about an hour east of there right now.  I never actually made it to Charleston when I was in SC but want to go someday, I bet you will have a great time!

I like Costa Rica Peaberry, and I have friends with the last name Doka!! They don't own a Coffee Plantation though. They'd probably have me for a neighbor if they did, lol. 

I'll be driving fairly close to Charlotte on my way to Charleston, and I'm going to 3 different Reef Stores, so I'll be having LOTS of fun!!