ReefCleaners.org

Lula Mae's 1.6ish gallons of whatever I want to put in it--tank updates and news and stuff

Lula_Mae

10 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Thanks!  I'm loving it!  And yeah, I have an order with Reef Gardener coming this week (got delayed when one of my St. Thomas went MIA lol). 

This is the light I'm using, the Finnex Stingray.  I bought it when I was on a super budget and planning to do a macro only tank lol.  Now that I'm adding coral, I'm kinda just watching to see how stuff responds.  I think I need just a touch more blue, so I'm not sure if I want to supplement with a blue LED strip or something, or just replace the light altogether.  Might look at something like this.  I looked at the tuna blue light that Natalia uses but it's a little too blue for me--I want something in the 10-14k range max as I like a whiter light, and I think my choice of corals will do better under whiter light.

Have you seen the Tuna Blue led light? I actually got one this week and like it. The only reason I don't have it over the tank now is I'm trying to figure out on a practical level how to use it over the tank. I have a light fixture to put it in, but the tank is on the kitchen counter & the kitchen cabinets get in the way, I think I'm gonna need to move stuff. 

Anyway, it's more "spotlight-ey" than what I have now but it looks cool. I don't think it's a 20k total blue look though. Maybe 15k?

Oddly enough, what I currently have for a light is also working better than expected, with a surprise boost from something I was gonna sell. 

My current setup is actually the same little 4g Pico that's in my sig, and I am actually using the same light over it. It's this compact PC perch light, but it has a 50/50 bulb in it: https://www.amazon.com/KollerCraft-Perch-Light-Compact-Fluorescent-Aquarium/dp/B001XD6B24

I'd say it gives kind of a 12k look, so you might like it. You could prob find it with a 50/50 bulb if you looked around. 

That fixture worked great over the Pico when it was set up as the little Planted Pico in my sig, both corals and Macro did just fine under it. 

I don't like the total blue look, but I wanted just a bit more blue to fluoresce the corals, so I tossed this little thing over that I had planned on selling: http://www.marinedepot.com/Ecoxotic_12.5_Inch_Stunner_6W_Magenta_453nm_Blue_LED_Strip_Linkable_LED_Light_Fixtures-Ecoxotic-XX08010-FILTFILDLK-XX08018-vi.html

(mine is just blue tho, no magenta)

Darned if it isn't looking like a really nice 14k look now!! I turn the blue strip on 1 hr before & after the PC perch light for a sunrise/sunset effect. 

Don't know what the eventual setup will be, I'm thinking of using a combo of the Tuna Blue bulb and sunlight, but what I have is working. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Have you seen the Tuna Blue led light? I actually got one this week and like it. The only reason I don't have it over the tank now is I'm trying to figure out on a practical level how to use it over the tank. I have a light fixture to put it in, but the tank is on the kitchen counter & the kitchen cabinets get in the way, I think I'm gonna need to move stuff. 

Anyway, it's more "spotlight-ey" than what I have now but it looks cool. I don't think it's a 20k total blue look though. Maybe 15k?

Oddly enough, what I currently have for a light is also working better than expected, with a surprise boost from something I was gonna sell. 

My current setup is actually the same little 4g Pico that's in my sig, and I am actually using the same light over it. It's this compact PC perch light, but it has a 50/50 bulb in it: https://www.amazon.com/KollerCraft-Perch-Light-Compact-Fluorescent-Aquarium/dp/B001XD6B24

I'd say it gives kind of a 12k look, so you might like it. You could prob find it with a 50/50 bulb if you looked around. 

That fixture worked great over the Pico when it was set up as the little Planted Pico in my sig, both corals and Macro did just fine under it. 

I don't like the total blue look, but I wanted just a bit more blue to fluoresce the corals, so I tossed this little thing over that I had planned on selling: http://www.marinedepot.com/Ecoxotic_12.5_Inch_Stunner_6W_Magenta_453nm_Blue_LED_Strip_Linkable_LED_Light_Fixtures-Ecoxotic-XX08010-FILTFILDLK-XX08018-vi.html

(mine is just blue tho, no magenta)

Darned if it isn't looking like a really nice 14k look now!! I turn the blue strip on 1 hr before & after the PC perch light for a sunrise/sunset effect. 

Don't know what the eventual setup will be, I'm thinking of using a combo of the Tuna Blue bulb and sunlight, but what I have is working. 

I did see the Tuna Blue but have hesitated because it looks so blue in pictures.  Looking at the LED combo it looks like there is only one white LED on it?

I was also looking at this one.  It seems to have a nice spectrum of color including plenty of white, so I wonder if I might like that better.  For the current price, I might just bite the bullet and try it out!

The little PC light looks neat, if I could find a 50/50 version and replacement bulbs.  But then, for the price of that, I might just do an LED + lamp lol.

42 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I did see the Tuna Blue but have hesitated because it looks so blue in pictures.  Looking at the LED combo it looks like there is only one white LED on it?

I was also looking at this one.  It seems to have a nice spectrum of color including plenty of white, so I wonder if I might like that better.  For the current price, I might just bite the bullet and try it out!

The little PC light looks neat, if I could find a 50/50 version and replacement bulbs.  But then, for the price of that, I might just do an LED + lamp lol.

Ummm, I'd say it's less blue in real life. 

It has more than one white led, but just looking at number of white leds gives an incomplete picture, I think. 

I'll try to message you later with a better explanation of that from the paper that came with the bulb. 

Let's come at this from a different direction. 

What do you want more of in a light that you feel you aren't getting now?

5 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Ummm, I'd say it's less blue in real life. 

It has more than one white led, but just looking at number of white leds gives an incomplete picture, I think. 

I'll try to message you later with a better explanation of that from the paper that came with the bulb. 

Let's come at this from a different direction. 

What do you want more of in a light that you feel you aren't getting now?

Ok, I was just going by what the description said (for this 12w version, which is what I would get if I chose it).  I want a little more blue spectrum as right now it pretty much looks like a freshwater tank and I don't think the colors pop very well on anything (I picked the one I did as it had a few blue and a few red led's and had read that the red was necessary for plant growth but have since read that it's more something about the spectrum of red, or something lol.  I didn't read too deeply on that).  I'm also concerned the light may not be enough to grow coral well.  I'd always planned to upgrade the light eventually anyway, but have had a hard time finding an LED that isn't mostly blues or pretty blue on the color spectrum, and I've never liked the super-blue look.  That little Reef Radiance bulb I linked has looked the most promising as far as the color temperature I'm looking for, though I've not found any pictures of it in use.  I just like that it has a good balance of white and other colors (and isn't just white and blue so it should offer a better spectrum of color overall).

Also, I've noticed my scroll algae has lost most of its blue sheen and I want that back lol. 

1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

Ok, I was just going by what the description said (for this 12w version, which is what I would get if I chose it).  I want a little more blue spectrum as right now it pretty much looks like a freshwater tank and I don't think the colors pop very well on anything (I picked the one I did as it had a few blue and a few red led's and had read that the red was necessary for plant growth but have since read that it's more something about the spectrum of red, or something lol.  I didn't read too deeply on that).  I'm also concerned the light may not be enough to grow coral well.  I'd always planned to upgrade the light eventually anyway, but have had a hard time finding an LED that isn't mostly blues or pretty blue on the color spectrum, and I've never liked the super-blue look.  That little Reef Radiance bulb I linked has looked the most promising as far as the color temperature I'm looking for, though I've not found any pictures of it in use.  I just like that it has a good balance of white and other colors (and isn't just white and blue so it should offer a better spectrum of color overall).

Also, I've noticed my scroll algae has lost most of its blue sheen and I want that back lol. 

Yeah, the Scroll Algae seems to need much more intense light to have that blue sheen. 

I think that just looking at how many blue and how many white leds there are doesn't really give an accurate picture of how it will perform or look in real life. 

I could get more in depth on that, but more to the point for you specifically, this bulb by ABI may work better for what you personally want: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CXTZN2Q/ref=psdc_2975458011_t1_B01LWP37SD

Check out the tank pics in the first review, I suspect that's more what you're looking for, and is less blue than the Tuna Blue bulb. 

44 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Yeah, the Scroll Algae seems to need much more intense light to have that blue sheen. 

I think that just looking at how many blue and how many white leds there are doesn't really give an accurate picture of how it will perform or look in real life. 

I could get more in depth on that, but more to the point for you specifically, this bulb by ABI may work better for what you personally want: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CXTZN2Q/ref=psdc_2975458011_t1_B01LWP37SD

Check out the tank pics in the first review, I suspect that's more what you're looking for, and is less blue than the Tuna Blue bulb. 

Yeah, I looked at that one too, though I thought I remembered reading something anecdotal about people not having as good growth under it as compared to the tuna blue one.  It might be an option.  I guess what I want is a fixture that offers the nice full spectrum color of my old Nova Extreme T5 I had over my 5.5 lol. :rolleyes: THAT was a nice little fixture!  Might just have to try a few things and see what works best for my tank.

2 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Yeah, I looked at that one too, though I thought I remembered reading something anecdotal about people not having as good growth under it as compared to the tuna blue one.  It might be an option.  I guess what I want is a fixture that offers the nice full spectrum color of my old Nova Extreme T5 I had over my 5.5 lol. :rolleyes: THAT was a nice little fixture!  Might just have to try a few things and see what works best for my tank.

That had one blue bulb and one white bulb, right? 

I suspect the 2nd ABI bulb would be closer in color to that. 

This is all just experimentation in the long run, really. 

A bunch of "let's try this and see how it works," then adjusting. 

It's like that for all of us. :)

Hey, I was looking and just found this, would this work for you?? http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+13822+23646&pcatid=23646

17 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

That had one blue bulb and one white bulb, right? 

I suspect the 2nd ABI bulb would be closer in color to that. 

This is all just experimentation in the long run, really. 

A bunch of "let's try this and see how it works," then adjusting. 

It's like that for all of us. :)

Hey, I was looking and just found this, would this work for you?? http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+13822+23646&pcatid=23646

Yes, a white 10k and a blue actinic, something like 460 nm.

It really is!  And that's the whole point of this tank, to try things and see how they do.  Half the fun, I think. :happy:

I actually used to have that light lol. About six years ago, I bought that when I downgraded from the 5.5 to a 1.5.  I'll be honest, I was not particularly impressed (and neither were the corals lol--my first round of rics and St. Thomas).  Everything did ok but not great, and the tank was always pretty dim looking to me.  Maybe my perspective was colored(har har)  after coming from the brightness of the Nova lol.  I think after the replacement bulbs I'd bought were done, I just replaced it with a screw-in 50/50 CFL bulb. :lol:  If I still had it, I might try it, but I don't think I'd buy it again lol.  Thanks for looking though! :)

Guess I just have to decide what I want to try first and go for it.  Going to try to wait till payday this week though lol.  I have definitely blown my budget for the tank this month. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Last night, I attempted to feed my rics for the first time.  I had fed the tank some filter feeder food earlier (Kent's MicroVert is what I've got right now) and so I took some pellets I had on hand (Weetie, they were -ahem- betta pellets lol :lol:) and soaked in some tank water and then carefully picked them up and attempted to drop near the mouths (I really need some pipettes and forceps lol).  I'm not sure if the rics actually ate anything, but after watching a movie (Wreck-It Ralph--SOOOO cute!!), I went to do the water change and found a little stinker helping herself!

IMG_20170305_011149888_zpszr4t3hns.jpg

You can see the bright pinkish-orangeish pellet she's holding if you look closely.

IMG_20170305_011131034_zps24pwodva.jpg

I used the turkey baster to suction out the uneaten pellets and she did not budge until I got it within an inch or so of her--and then she moved a half inch over. :lol:

The little red feather duster on the rock she's sitting on seems to have grown already!  I ended up not doing a big water change because I checked salinity and realized my tank was at 1.022 :wacko:  and the change water was around 1.024.  So I'll be working on changing that over the next couple days so as not to shock anything unnecessarily lol.

I've decided to call the pom pom Shelby.  It just seems to suit, and Shelby is the name of Julia Roberts' character in Steel Magnolias, which is based on the story of an alum from my sorority. :)  I can pretend her poms' colors are "blush and bashful." :lol:

A few notes I don't think I mentioned--the cyano on the blue ochtodes disappeared, either from an accidental day of lights out, or the snails helped themselves lol.  That portion of the ochtodes also disappeared.  The clumps that are left got pushed to the back when the rics got moved in.

The mystery anemone/polyp things on the small rock at the front-center-right have disappeared (at the same time my closed-up hitchhiker zoa did) so I'm not sure if they moved or died and were eaten or what.  Things that make you go hmmm...

I've got a few touches of hair algae developing.  I don't have any 35% peroxide yet so I am gonna try some of my regular 3% and just brush it on and see if that helps any.  Hopefully I can get some of that ordered later this week.

I am contemplating splitting the airline with a T-connector and adding airline to make two outlets for the air bubbles on either side of the tank.  I think one just isn't quite enough for this length tank as I've gotten some detritus built up on the macros.  If that doesn't work, I'll add a small powerhead and see how it goes but am hoping to avoid it as I like the bubbler. 

I need to get some hooks to hold the lid in place as it's still just laid cattywompus on the top of the tank (it came with my little 2.7 gal Penn Plax Vertex tank so it's not quite the right dimensions for the tank lol).  Eventually I'd like to get one cut for the tank but will probably wait till I've got equipment (light, etc) more figured out.

Thinking about replacing the rocks on the right as they have always been prone to hair algae and I think it's due to their composition (they were random little rubble pieces picked off a dry rack at an LFS a few years ago--I've never liked them much but couldn't find small live rock pieces for my 1 gal bowfront I had at the time).

Need to figure out the previously discussed lighting so I can make my pretties pop like they are capable of! :happy:

Looking forward to my Reef Gardener order later this week.  Gotta figure out where I'm gonna put things!  I may put a soap dish frag rack in temporarily till I get things situated.  Wonder what Shelby will think? :lol:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

I am contemplating splitting the airline with a T-connector and adding airline to make two outlets for the air bubbles on either side of the tank.  I think one just isn't quite enough for this length tank as I've gotten some detritus built up on the macros.  If that doesn't work, I'll add a small powerhead and see how it goes but am hoping to avoid it as I like the bubbler. 

Hey Lula_Mae - love your little tank!  Shelby is awesome!  Cool that she has both of her pom poms.

I tried splitting my airline using a t-connector and I found that it has to be positioned perfectly level in order for the bubbles to come out on both sides.  It was nearly impossible to get it to stay that way so I abandoned that plan.  Probably a smart move because now that I have a snail there's no way it would have stayed that way. He's a bulls in a china shop! 

I have the ABi tuna blue bulb and it is pretty blue. Probably not the best choice for you if you want more natural looking light.  

2 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

Hey Lula_Mae - love your little tank!  Shelby is awesome!  Cool that she has both of her pom poms.

I tried splitting my airline using a t-connector and I found that it has to be positioned perfectly level in order for the bubbles to come out on both sides.  It was nearly impossible to get it to stay that way so I abandoned that plan.  Probably a smart move because now that I have a snail there's no way it would have stayed that way. He's a bulls in a china shop! 

I have the ABi tuna blue bulb and it is pretty blue. Probably not the best choice for you if you want more natural looking light.  

Thanks for the info.  I actually just got back from getting a T-splitter to try it out lol.  Oh, well.  If it doesn't work, it was only a dollar!  My snails are pretty tiny (dwarf ceriths and a small nass) so I don't think they'll be an issue.  Thanks for the info on the light, too.  I think I'll start with the little Reef Radiance bulb since it's on sale and go from there.  I may have to do like Yoshii and use two lights to get the spectrum I want lol but am trying to avoid that.

Picked up some rock, too.  It's basically semi-dry "live" rock and I grabbed a couple pieces to cycle separately and try in place of the precarious rock stack on the right.  They had a big sign saying "don't use this with coral and inverts" and the kid who rang me up said the same and I said, "Cause it needs to be cycled, right?" and he was like "Yeah" lol.  Guess they've had an issue with that in the past...

10 minutes ago, Needreefunds said:

Fun little tank Lula_Mae. That front left corner reminds me of c est ma's 5.5 a bit. Certainly not a bad thing. :)

Thanks NRF!  That's a huge, huge compliment to me, so thanks! :happy:

• Like 1

Oh Ho, you've done it now, I hope you're prepared for the betta food enhanced Coralline Wonderland your tank is about to become!!! :lol:

Shelby is such a feisty little thing and this tank is so fun, I think it's one of my favorite tanks on NR right now. 

I think my college roommate is the last person I heard say "cattywompus", and you remind me a wee bit of her. 

That's a good thing, she and I are still good friends. 

21 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Oh Ho, you've done it now, I hope you're prepared for the betta food enhanced Coralline Wonderland your tank is about to become!!! :lol:

Shelby is such a feisty little thing and this tank is so fun, I think it's one of my favorite tanks on NR right now. 

I think my college roommate is the last person I heard say "cattywompus", and you remind me a wee bit of her. 

That's a good thing, she and I are still good friends. 

I will do my best, but I don't know if it's possible to be fully prepared for such wonder! :lol:  I did pick up some Hikari crab pellets for Shelby today, can't wait to try them out and see if she approves!

Shelby has become my favorite pom pom ever, and I've had four to date lol.  She's so full of spunk and fun!  Kinda wondering what would happen if I add more inverts like I planned or a fish or something...will there be territorial squabbles?  Will Shelby beat the others into submission?  Will my tank turn into a WWE wrestling ring? :haha: I suppose I will need to add more macros or something for hiding spots to keep anyone from suffering the wrath of the poms! :lol:

Cattywompus is one of my favorite words and I have no idea if that's how you're supposed to spell it, but I do.  It's so versatile and fun!  And thanks!  Glad you are enjoying the tank, too.  I am loving the journey and sharing it. :happy:

• Like 1

I might need to get a pompom crab and some macro algae now :lol: have you thought about the kessil a80? I'm also looking for a lighting upgrade so I'm excited to see what you end up getting.

12 minutes ago, DevFishe said:

I might need to get a pompom crab and some macro algae now :lol: have you thought about the kessil a80? I'm also looking for a lighting upgrade so I'm excited to see what you end up getting.

You should go for it!  Both are fun, and there's such a huge variety of macro out there that you're sure to find something to your tastes and that complements your tank.  Shelby is unusually bold for a pom pom, my previous ones have hid a lot more than she does lol.

I haven't looked at the Kessil but I will keep that in mind for a future light upgrade if needed.  It looks like a nice light!  Right now I need to go cheaper since I just spent :bling: on corals lol.

• Like 2

Lucky! seems like a lot of the smaller inhabitants in saltwater tanks are pretty reclusive, some days I forget I even have a goby in my pico haha

natalia_la_loca

I had that ABI 50/50 par38 over my reefbowl for like 6 months. It grows coral just fine. Not as blue as the Tuna Blue but still pretty. 

• Like 1

How did Shelby do with the Hikari pellets? I'm so stoked that you have a pom pom crab. I mentioned it at my group earlier and all of a sudden we were passing around phones with pics of pom pom crabs. :D

Totally enjoyed that back and forth between you and Weetie about lighting, BTW.

I love that there's so much to see in your tank!

• Like 1
On 3/5/2017 at 8:55 PM, DevFishe said:

Lucky! seems like a lot of the smaller inhabitants in saltwater tanks are pretty reclusive, some days I forget I even have a goby in my pico haha

Haha no worries, all my other pom poms have been far less bold, especially when there were mean ol' hermits in there (which are not reclusive, but may harass every other living thing in the tank lol).  I've never tried a fish, though, and am looking forward to that eventually.

On 3/5/2017 at 9:24 PM, natalia_la_loca said:

I had that ABI 50/50 par38 over my reefbowl for like 6 months. It grows coral just fine. Not as blue as the Tuna Blue but still pretty. 

Thanks for the info!  I ended up ordering the Reef Radiance bulb I've been eyeing for a while but will def consider that one as backup.

2 hours ago, Rain24 said:

How did Shelby do with the Hikari pellets? I'm so stoked that you have a pom pom crab. I mentioned it at my group earlier and all of a sudden we were passing around phones with pics of pom pom crabs. :D

Totally enjoyed that back and forth between you and Weetie about lighting, BTW.

I love that there's so much to see in your tank!

Not sure, I dropped one in and then forgot to watch for her reaction lol.  And then I've been working the last couple days (I work long shifts on my days on) so I haven't paid much attention.  It appears to be totally gone though, so obviously someone enjoyed it!  Haha glad your group enjoyed it, they are the coolest little critters!  I strongly recommend an imaginary pom pom for your imaginary reef once it's cycled. ;)  Hope the lighting discussion helps others besides just me!  And me too, I love this little tank and am looking forward to seeing it fill in and grow and change as I add things. :happy:

21 minutes ago, money88 said:

I really like your pom pom pretty amazing honestly that such small tanks are even possible

Thanks!  Isn't it?  One of the best things about picos is getting to pay attention to all the little details that might be missed in a larger tank.  It's like getting a close up view of a little microcosm of the ocean or something.

Reef Gardener order should ship tomorrow (and she has some new stuff up if anyone is coral shopping... ;)).  Pacific East Aquaculture also posted some AMAZING gorgeous St. Thomas, too bad they are way outta my budget lol. :happydance:

I look forward to seeing new light over your tank and new livestock in it!!

I'm still working out exactly the right way to shine the ABI bulb over/into the new waterfall. 

8 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

I look forward to seeing new light over your tank and new livestock in it!!

I'm still working out exactly the right way to shine the ABI bulb over/into the new waterfall. 

Thanks, me too!  I figure I can at least give it a try so others know whether it's a viable option or not.  Now I just need to find a lamp for it. :wacko:

I bet!  I'm guessing the curvature adds to the challenge of positioning it optimally.  Is there any issue with at least getting coverage over all the compartments?

Also, I finally just added a timer to my lights.  Hopefully I've programmed it correctly so it goes off tonight when it's supposed to! :lol:

Get tweezers and feed your rics mysis.  I promise you they will eat them.  I think I have a video of mine eating one somewhere.  

Nope, can't find it.  You'll just have to trust me. lol  It also ate Rod's.