Jump to content
DaveFason

NanoBox Red Sea 170 : New Start

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, DaveFason said:

I don't have the exact dimensions now but if you go to RedSeas website I know I have seen them there. 

Dave,

 

No, those measurements aren't provided by red sea. I just need someone to stick a tape measure inside the cabinet :D

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/17/2017 at 5:13 AM, Rory282 said:

Dave,

 

No, those measurements aren't provided by red sea. I just need someone to stick a tape measure inside the cabinet :D

Sorry I forgot about this. 

22" x 18" x 27.5"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Tank is chugging along. I was not happy with the video and will be reshooting. For the meantime here are some stills. 

 

Joes Knows Reef : Rainbow Chalice - This thing is growing quickly and looking better each day

Joe Knows Reef Rainbow

M Shower is growing 1/8" weekly now

M Shower

These Favia's were picked up from Darwin and LC. 

FaviaFaviaFavia

The famous acan

mint2

These acans just started to grow. It has been a single polyp for a year and just popped out five polyps. 

Scans

This top down mimics a painting

NanoBox Top Down

Dirty and real FTS :

NanoBox FTS

 

Enjoy! 

-Dave

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Dave your tank looks awesome! Just curious why did you use a quad on this tank.. your recommendation for the reefer 170 is a Duo.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/9/2017 at 3:42 PM, reefrox said:

Dave your tank looks awesome! Just curious why did you use a quad on this tank.. your recommendation for the reefer 170 is a Duo.

I had an extra banged up Quad and decided to put it on there. ;) 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

After a long nine days of traveling I was able to take a few pictures of the tank. Growth has been incredible. Colors are really starting to come through. 

 

New zoa frag - Very excited for these to start to grow. 

newzoa

 

Walt Disney Acro - I received this from a customer that was starting to loose color. So far a week in and here it is. It has a long way to go! 

waltdisney

 

Mystery chalice - This started out dead and had a small amount of tissue. Now this! 

mysterychalice

 

Rainbow Chalice - Incredible 

joesrainbow

 

Favia Growth - 

faviagrowth

 

Standard micro that is looking great

acanstriped

 

Jack - O - Lantern :

jacko

 

Top Down : Got Colors? 

redseatopdown

 

Enjoy! 

-Dave

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

Looks nice ! I hope the brown strings are not dinos ... :blink: @4x5 got the same acan a few days ago I think, it's a cool one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Berlibee said:

Looks nice ! I hope the brown strings are not dinos ... :blink: @4x5 got the same acan a few days ago I think, it's a cool one.

I think they are but they will be gone. It depends on how much I feed the tank with reef-roids, aminos and food. The colors I have gotten have been incredible BUT producing some bacteria. Always that fine line. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Macro Monday? 

acancloseupmummyeyemacropinkchalmacrorainbowmacroraptorsmacroyelloweyemacrozoasmacromummyeyehurrmacromshowermacro

 

Macro photography is my favorite medium for corals. You see colors and shapes that are normally overlooked. Some of the chalice pictures make me imagine that I am on a different planet. All photos were taking on my A6300, extension tube and closeup kit. 

 

Enjoy! 

 

-Dave

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I have had some interesting results in changing my light schedule to a 12 hour instead of the normal 7-8 that I ran before. Ecotech has done an incredible job with the Lab series. I wish I could afford to fund projects like these but simply can not.

 

I lowered my light schedule intensity to match the overall PAR for the day into 12 hours. Corals have been unaffected but the algae growth has been much higher. Nothing has changed, nothing added, etc. Really interesting and will be switching back to a short schedule to see if the algae disappears. So there could be something to a higher intensity, shorter light schedule that what we think! 

 

More to come!

 

15 hours ago, reefrox said:

Oh man!! AWSOME photos. Triple thumbs up..

Thank you! 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
47 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

I have had some interesting results in changing my light schedule to a 12 hour instead of the normal 7-8 that I ran before. Ecotech has done an incredible job with the Lab series. I wish I could afford to fund projects like these but simply can not.

 

I lowered my light schedule intensity to match the overall PAR for the day into 12 hours. Corals have been unaffected but the algae growth has been much higher. Nothing has changed, nothing added, etc. Really interesting and will be switching back to a short schedule to see if the algae disappears. So there could be something to a higher intensity, shorter light schedule that what we think! 

 

More to come!

 

Thank you! 

 

 

 

Interesting....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, DaveFason said:

I have had some interesting results in changing my light schedule to a 12 hour instead of the normal 7-8 that I ran before. Ecotech has done an incredible job with the Lab series. I wish I could afford to fund projects like these but simply can not.

 

I lowered my light schedule intensity to match the overall PAR for the day into 12 hours. Corals have been unaffected but the algae growth has been much higher. Nothing has changed, nothing added, etc. Really interesting and will be switching back to a short schedule to see if the algae disappears. So there could be something to a higher intensity, shorter light schedule that what we think! 

 

More to come!

 

Thank you! 

 

 

Dave, I have also been struggling with hair algea, and been trying to figure out how to do an 8 hour cycle in the app.. could you kindly assist in explaining how to change the time cycle to 8 hours.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, reefrox said:

Dave, I have also been struggling with hair algea, and been trying to figure out how to do an 8 hour cycle in the app.. could you kindly assist in explaining how to change the time cycle to 8 hours.

I would say more algae as in film on glass, some on rocks, etc. Hair algae is normally a factor of a few things and not lighting. 

 

However bumping the light schedule. 

Start time : 12PM / Ramp Length 60 minutes 

Midday : Ramp 90 minutes 

Night : 8PM 

Share this post


Link to post

Your colors are popping!  That rainbow chalice is incredible. What vendor did you get it from? Keep the pics coming. Following 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

The macro shots are incredible.

 

Any luck gathering the PAR data for the entire tank?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/31/2017 at 4:20 PM, MockandRoll said:

Your colors are popping!  That rainbow chalice is incredible. What vendor did you get it from? Keep the pics coming. Following 

Thank you! I received it from Joe Knows Reef from SC. 

15 hours ago, xilez said:

The macro shots are incredible.

 

Any luck gathering the PAR data for the entire tank?

I just need to put it on the photo to share. 

 

Thanks! I have been working a ton on taking better macro shots. More to come! 

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/31/2017 at 1:15 PM, DaveFason said:

I would say more algae as in film on glass, some on rocks, etc. Hair algae is normally a factor of a few things and not lighting. 

 

However bumping the light schedule. 

Start time : 12PM / Ramp Length 60 minutes 

Midday : Ramp 90 minutes 

Night : 8PM 

Thanks for the info.

 

Also, what equipment specifically are you using to achieve such awesome shots, especially macro shots..

 

Any tips and tricks on settings, time of day etc etc as to how to take good tank and macro shots plse : )

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, reefrox said:

Thanks for the info.

 

Also, what equipment specifically are you using to achieve such awesome shots, especially macro shots..

 

Any tips and tricks on settings, time of day etc etc as to how to take good tank and macro shots plse : )

 

On this one I used an extension tube with the close up kits. 

 

-Dave

Share this post


Link to post

Growth shots and color. Incredible. These pictures are ~ 2 months apart. 

 

Faviafavia1

 

Faviafavia3

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I had a few minutes to shoot the tank and do a quick video ( straight from iPhone 7+ ).  I recently added a RW-4 in the back and will be replacing the MP10 with a KPS pump. 

 

Settings during video & photos :

Royal Blue - 80%

Blue Cyan - 80%

Violet - 70%

White & Mint - 0%

 

Video:

 

Current FTS : Light is now on top of tank due to new legs I am building

Reefer

Walt Disney : Starting to show true colors. Hoping this tiny patch of algae goes away on a tip

Reefer

Others :

ReeferReeferReeferReeferReefer

 

Enjoy! 

  • Like 4
  • Wow 2

Share this post


Link to post

Looks fantastic as always Dave! The kps pumps are really interesting - what do you see as the advantages over the MP10? 

Also did you use a filter for the video or was that just a straight shot? 

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Looks fantastic as always Dave! The kps pumps are really interesting - what do you see as the advantages over the MP10? 

Also did you use a filter for the video or was that just a straight shot? 

Thanks! I will be honest the MP10 is just a bit loud for me. The MP40 is silent. As well the KPS is nearly as small and runs only 4-10w. The built in APP is a cool feature as well! 

 

The video is shot on the same gel I use for taking photos. I just tape it on the front and let it be. Once you find the filter that works 99% time is makes shooting LEDs simple. The only issue is finding the gel that works best for what you use. 

 

-Dave

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Dive in and share your thoughts!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recommended Discussions

×