Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

NanoBox Red Sea 170 : New Video 1/30/19

DaveFason

12 hours ago, DaveFason said:

NanoBox Reefer FTS

New camera and playing around with the tank. Water quality is down due to old filters but will be fixed. 

11 hours ago, schwaz said:

How has growth been with the Duo?

It has been great. Honestly I don't do much to the tank. It really needs a doser but this allows for slower growth. The slower growth sounds funny but works really well with my life as of now.  Here is a picture from a year ago. You can see the acro, montis, chalices and a few others have grown the most. 

NanoBoxOneYear-2

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

Everything is looking fresh. Did you ever start dosing on this tank? 

Thank you. I have not. I wanted to see what the Trident was going to cost and a few other options. However it looks like I would have to sink $1500+ into an APEX system to get this automated. I am still on the fence about using a china dosing system long term. 

I am going to do a massive clean on the tank. Pull all the corals, fish and rock out. Clean the sand, clean all walls, inside overflow ( there is mold in there ) and drain tubes. I am hoping it will jump start the tank along with the new water filters. 

-Dave

Just now, DaveFason said:

Thank you. I have not. I wanted to see what the Trident was going to cost and a few other options. However it looks like I would have to sink $1500+ into an APEX system to get this automated. I am still on the fence about using a china dosing system long term. 

I am going to do a massive clean on the tank. Pull all the corals, fish and rock out. Clean the sand, clean all walls, inside overflow ( there is mold in there ) and drain tubes. I am hoping it will jump start the tank along with the new water filters. 

-Dave

FWIW, I found a cheap used Bubble Magus. I replaced all the heads, greased up all the tubes, and I've been keeping steady parameters sans any kind of controller (Apex, Reef Angel, etc.) I imagine it will come with some regular maintenance, but so does everything else. 

• Like 1

@DaveFason when you say your tank is high in nutrients, how are you achieving that while keeping water parameters in check? Is it based on feeding, WC's etc? I don't think you have started dosing yet. 

Also are you still considering a small tang or just the eel?

Thanks man beautiful tank, really surprised this isn't TOTM!

14 minutes ago, frahny said:

@DaveFason when you say your tank is high in nutrients, how are you achieving that while keeping water parameters in check? Is it based on feeding, WC's etc? I don't think you have started dosing yet. 

Also are you still considering a small tang or just the eel?

Thanks man beautiful tank, really surprised this isn't TOTM!

I have not tested but from the algae build up and overall characteristics I can tell. Twelve years of reefing will help with that. Water coming from my RO/DI is starting to show some TDS. This is the main cause. 

Still considering the ell, yes. 

Thank you! 

-Dave 

more

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2019 at 5:46 PM, haks said:

Nice photos, that purple and green favia is crazy nice!

Thanks. Raptors favia is one of our favorites. 

-Dave

57 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

Thanks. Raptors favia is one of our favorites. 

-Dave

Will need to keep an eye out for those at the LFS. Wife and daughter love purple and that green and purple combo is killer.

How's the growth? Looks like it easily encrusted all over that piece of rock too.

3 hours ago, haks said:

Will need to keep an eye out for those at the LFS. Wife and daughter love purple and that green and purple combo is killer.

How's the growth? Looks like it easily encrusted all over that piece of rock too.

It goes in spurts. But extremely easy to care for. 

Playing with a new macro adaptor. Results are... wild. These are not cropped. Edited to early morning look. 

Let me know what you think. 

Macro Chalice : Duo GrownDSCF0185coralDSCF0194coralDSCF0176coral
  • Wow 2
mitten_reef
29 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

Playing with a new macro adaptor. Results are... wild. These are not cropped. Edited to early morning look. 

Let me know what you think. 

Macro Chalice : Duo GrownDSCF0185coralDSCF0194coralDSCF0176coral

Dave,  Your upgraded camera setup is producing even more amazing results than before !!!  Love the new WB too, went for a tad bit warmer than before?  Keep up with the updates.  

• Like 1