Coral Vue Hydros

NanoBox Red Sea 170 : New Video 1/30/19

DaveFason

Not sure if this is any help but when we had fish nerd drinks, @holy carp noted that the valonia spores in his tank didn't seem to have survived the fluconazole treatment. The bubbles had to be manually removed, but no new ones have appeared (compared to what sounded like near daily removal). Fingers crossed!

22 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

Not sure if this is any help but when we had fish nerd drinks, @holy carp noted that the valonia spores in his tank didn't seem to have survived the fluconazole treatment. The bubbles had to be manually removed, but no new ones have appeared (compared to what sounded like near daily removal). Fingers crossed!

Interesting. I may do a second treatment and do small 1-2g water changes daily for a week. Hmmmmm!

It's true - it used to be part of my maintenance routine to remove any visible bubble algae every couple weeks.  Then I did the fluconazole treatment for 3 weeks, and on the same day I removed all visible valonia.  It has now been over 6 months and I have never seen any bubble algae since.  

FWIW, I treated a second time starting 3 months later for 6 weeks after I noticed that my GHA returned.  Apparently, 3 weeks isn't quite long enough to eliminate it. Now my phosphates have been higher than ever(~0.12ppm, or 39ppb Phosphorus) and no algae problems have come back.

• Like 2

I've always had success with emerald crabs for bubble algae removal. Some people think they are the devil though.

I noticed a spike in my algae after switching to aqua forrest as well. But I also love that it can mix up so quickly, and I've seen great colors, it seems to be working out with the right CUC.

Beautiful tank, loving the colors, size, planning, etc. Tagging along.

• Like 1

Misson : Clean Up Wiring

UGH.

personal121317-6

$15 wood crate from Target - Three 1" holes drilled on the back. 

personal121317-7

All wiring is now labeled! 

personal121317-8

Much better! I am cutting a piece of wood for a cover. All power supplies, controllers, etc are external from the sump. 

personal121317-9

Enjoy! 

-Dave

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Nice job on the wiring box!  I love having well organized wiring.

Until I have to remove and unplug a piece of equipment and get that one wire out from all the rest. Then I hate it :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 8:28 AM, DaveFason said:

Misson : Clean Up Wiring

UGH.

personal121317-6

$15 wood crate from Target - Three 1" holes drilled on the back. 

personal121317-7

All wiring is now labeled! 

personal121317-8

Much better! I am cutting a piece of wood for a cover. All power supplies, controllers, etc are external from the sump. 

personal121317-9

Enjoy! 

-Dave

You give me crap about my pics :lol: WOW look at those wires :P

• Like 1
On 12/15/2017 at 5:18 PM, teenyreef said:

Nice job on the wiring box!  I love having well organized wiring.

Until I have to remove and unplug a piece of equipment and get that one wire out from all the rest. Then I hate it :lol:

100%. You unplug that one piece and then everything becomes a rats nest again! 

On 12/15/2017 at 8:06 PM, spectra said:

You give me crap about my pics :lol: WOW look at those wires :P

Yea yea yea. At least it was on the outside of the tank :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

What a year it has been! I woke up and set the camera up to shoot and film the tank before the year end. This tank has made me enjoy reefing again and documenting has been a blast. The bubble algae is starting to subside and looking better each week. 

Video :

Scoly : This is an incredible coral

NanoBoxJanMore-13

Mummy Eye vs. Miami Hurricane : Gnarly! 

NanoBoxJanMore-12

Setosa : It is taking off! 

NanoBoxJanMore-10

Walt Disney : Continuing to look great. I am not getting as pink as @World Wide Corals but it is growing very well. It loves flow and light. 

NanoBoxJanMore-9

NYOS Skimmer : Doing work. This has been one of my best buys for the tank. 

NanoBoxJanMore-8

Macro Action : 

NanoBoxJanMore-6NanoBoxJanMore-7NanoBoxJanMore-5NanoBoxJanMore-2NanoBoxJanMore-3NanoBoxJanMore-3

M. Shower : Growth was but nuts

NanoBoxJan-13

Morning FTS :

NanoBoxJan-15

Enjoy and happy NYE!

-Dave

• Like 10

Love the feeding video! I'm doing pretty much the same thing when it's broadcast time - Blizzard -S and -L, Reef Snow, couple drops of Restor, and a couple of bacterial supplements :) I also throw in Phytogold -S and Phytochrom (red bottle) for the bivalves in there, and other filter feeders.

And of course - gorgeous tank!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The Brightwell foods have had an incredible response with our corals. Check out a time lapse of the orange scoly! You can also see the chalices and acans respond. 

• 3 weeks later...
redseaFTS

A few updates on the tank. 

• Tank has been running extremely well. I will need to start dosing a two part solution. 
  • After using Brightwell products I have had a couple corals respond better than ever. The orange scoli is out of this world ( hard to show in photos ). Oranges on all colors has been out of this world. The bottled Reef Snow and aminos are currently my favorite. 
  • I have to many corals in the tank. Coral warfare is already happening!
  • SPS on top right rock are looking very good. The Walt Disney and purple tip nano. The purple tip should start to take off in the coming weeks as it laid down a strong base. 
  • Bubble algae is still bad and continuing to work on it. It is hard to complain when the rest of the tank looks great. 
  •  I am looking for a golden dwarf eel. I miss my old one! 
  • I would like to swap the Aquamai nano pump for a MP40 or 10. It works great but the flow is not there. I am leaning towards a MP40 simply because they work better than the 10 and make less noise. 

More to come!

-Dave

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The tank is officially one year! Overall I have been very happy with taking the same approach as my old 35g. Allowing the tank to mature, keeping hands out and sticking to a regiment that works for my schedule. I would like to note that the tank has been running ZERO dedicated white spectrum!

I few changes I would like to do...

• Remove a few corals. 
  • Secure the top right rock ( this rock moves from time to time )
  • Eradicate the bubble algae - Fluco and manual removal is in the works. 
  • Adding a golden dwarf moray or blotched Anthias  
  • Removing the RW4 and Aquamai pumps for a Gyre 1K or MP40

For the time being here are a few stills. I hope you enjoy!

Current FTS :

NanoBoxOneYear-2

Setosa : Still one of my favorite corals. The growth has been exploding latley! 

NanoBoxOneYear-3

Favia :

NanoBoxOneYear-4

Favia Wars : 

NanoBoxOneYear-5

Monti from a member on here : This is located in two different places

NanoBoxOneYear-7NanoBoxOneYear-9

Mushroom - This one is splitting now! 

NanoBoxOneYear-8

Another stunner : JOL

NanoBoxOneYear-6

Sunset Monti - Another favorite of mine 

NanoBoxOneYear-11

Meteor Shower - You can almost watch it grow overnight. 

NanoBoxOneYear-10

Raptors Favia :

NanoBoxOneYear-12

Random SPS : Purple tips, white polyps 

NanoBoxOneYear-13

I do not think I have shown this side of the tank. It really shows off the size of the favias 

NanoBoxOneYear-15NanoBoxOneYear-14

I was worried about this chalice loosing the rim color. However when I flipped it around it showed its true colors! 

NanoBoxOneYear-17

Accident shot that turned out perfect!

NanoBoxOneYear-19

Thanks guys! 

-Dave

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It has been a while and recently have changed the tank up a bit! I am gearing up for my Asia trip in a week so I took a few pictures and a quick video. 

UPDATES :

• Quad switched to Duo.
  • Dare I say less light has created better growth? More on that later.
  • Still battling aptasia and bubble algae but getting much better!
  • Lost my second cardinal fish. :(
  • Took macro reactor offline - Honestly to much work for me to clean, empty, cut, etc. 
  • Coral health and coloration have been off the charts. 
  • I accidentally had a eight day blackout - Only coral effected was Walt Disney ( lost some pink ).

Video :

Pictures : These are all actinic 

NBR42518-12NBR42518-14NBR42518-13NBR42518-17NBR42518-15NBR42518-16

Enjoy,

-Dave

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
2 minutes ago, knd107 said:

Nice, just starting my 170 and have a 2-channel duo. 

What settings are you using? Happen to know what the storm controller version as well? 

Try this....

Blue - 235

White - 100

Ramp two hours

8-9 Hour photo period. 

• 1 month later...

The good. The bad. The ugly. 

Good :

• Corals looks amazing. Growth slowed down only due to me being lazy. 
  • Equipment is all working great. 
  • Switching to the Duo, do I dare say it has made this tank look better!?
  • Bubble algae is still there but starting to go away! 

Bad :

• I was lazy and forgot to do water changes for some time. Feeding heavily and not doing a darn thing. 

Ugly :

• Aptasia & green film algae. No idea what the algae is but I know it will be gone soon with some elbow grease. You can see it in the video and photos. 

Overall the tank is doing wonderful. I like to be honest with what is going on in the tank. If you have any questions just holler! 

Video : 1080

nanobox6318nanobox6318-2nanobox6318-14nanobox6318-11nanobox6318-12nanobox6318-16nanobox6318-6nanobox6318-17nanobox6318-10nanobox6318-4nanobox6318-3nanobox6318-8nanobox6318-13nanobox6318-9nanobox6318-7nanobox6318-5nanobox6318-15

Enjoy! 

-Dave

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • 1 month later...

The tank is chugging along. The fight is still on with the green film algae. I am sending water samples to see what they can find. 

The purple tip nana, @micoastreefing monti, pink zoas and favors are growing quickly.

I was able to separate the Mummy Eye and Miami Hurricane chalices without doing damage. 

Quick FTS :

Nano Box Red Sea

Macros this Sunday! 

-Dave

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Pictures, as promised. We have had numerous power outages and this weekend took a toll on the Walt Disney. I small branch started to STN but the tank is back on track. 

NBRReeferNBRReefer-9NBRReefer-10NBRReefer-8NBRReefer-7NBRReefer-6NBRReefer-5NBRReefer-4NBRReefer-3NBRReefer-2

Enjoy! 

-Dave

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, uwdanno said:

Really nice! Thanks for sharing Dave. I can imagine a bit of stress when that Walt Disney had some STN. 

Thanks! Outages are out of our hands. I really don't want to worry about a generator but it may be needed.