Pod Your Reef

Daves/NanoBox Red Sea 170 : NEW Video 1/30/19

DaveFason

Just awesome . I noticed you have more than 2 clowns in there. How are they getting along?

I enjoyed all the fishing pictures??.

My favorite hobby next to reefing although I fish only salmon and steelhead in the Pacific Northwest...Still fun though.

• 3 weeks later...

What a year it has been! I woke up and set the camera up to shoot and film the tank before the year end. This tank has made me enjoy reefing again and documenting has been a blast. The bubble algae is starting to subside and looking better each week. 

I have had some aptasia popping up so in order to control it before adding peppermint shrimp I blasted it with pickling lime. Mixing it to a gnarly sludge. 

NanoBoxJan-6

Lately people have had questions about salt. I personally mix my salt to 1.026. This is extremely important I think more people need to test the salinity more often. As well make sure to double check your LFS salinity! 

NanoBoxJan-7

Video :

Scoly : This is an incredible coral

NanoBoxJanMore-13

Mummy Eye vs. Miami Hurricane : Gnarly! 

NanoBoxJanMore-12

Setosa : It is taking off! 

NanoBoxJanMore-10

Walt Disney : Continuing to look great. I am not getting as pink as @World Wide Corals but it is growing very well. It loves flow and light. 

NanoBoxJanMore-9

NYOS Skimmer : Doing work. This has been one of my best buys for the tank. 

NanoBoxJanMore-8

Macro Action : 

NanoBoxJanMore-6NanoBoxJanMore-7NanoBoxJanMore-5NanoBoxJanMore-2NanoBoxJanMore-3NanoBoxJanMore-3

M. Shower : Growth was but nuts

NanoBoxJan-13

Morning FTS :

NanoBoxJan-15

Life :

Perch FinPerch

Vegasfishing-13

Vegasfishing-7

Vegasfishing-6

Vegasfishing-10

Sunset

Enjoy and happy NYE!

-Dave

• Like 9
  • Wow 2

Update time! Now that the tank has been running close to a year I can confidently say that LEDs are here to stay. The coloring, growth and health has been phenomenal with little set backs. What have I learned? 

1. Quit adjusting your light. Lock down one setting and roll with it for a few months. Constant adjustment is not good! 
  2. Water changes are key for nano tanks. With the growing popularity of supplement additive/no water change methods I believe water changes are more beneficial and more simple. The constant testing, adjusting, etc can make tank chores a hassle. A 5-10g water change will add the necessary elements needed. Pick a good salt! I am currently using BrightWell Aquatics NeoMarine mixed to 1.026. If you are using a local stores water ask them what they mix it too. I found most only mix to 1.023. 
  3. Feed your corals and fish. I was guilty for a time period for not doing this. I now add this to my morning ritual. 
  4. FLOW! Currently I have a MP40 ( 80% ), RW-4 ( 100% ) and Aquamai ( 100% ) running in the tank. Gentle random flow is needed. The more dead spots, the more festering detritus there is. Pumps are affordable now so look at adding an extra. 
  5. Do not worry about one coral looking bad. If the entire tank looks good, ride it out. One acro behind the Setosa has never looked well. I did not panic or make changes. I finally removed it and gave to another reefer. 
  6. Keep your hands out of the tank as much as possible! 

Current coral food regiment. I feed this in the morning before my breakfast. It takes all of 2 minutes. Use a small container and add tank water. Add the following and toss in a high flow area. 

1. BrightWell ReefSnow - Half Cap 
  2. BrightWell Reef Blizzard - S - One spoon 
  3. BrightWell Reef Blizzard - L - One spoon
  4. Brightwell MicroBac 7 - Half Cap 
  5. Brightwell - Coral Amino - Full Dropper 

Feb 14th : 

topdowncolorfar

Sept 15th. 

redsea91517-5

Dec 31st

NanoBoxJanMore-12

Sept 14th :

NBR090517-2

Dec 27th :

NanoBoxJan-13

Sept 4th : I did remove the acro behind the Setosa 

NBR090517-3

Dec 30th :

NanoBoxJanMore-10

July 4th :

waltdisney

Aug 27th :

redsea82817-6

Dec 30th :

NanoBoxJanMore-9

Current FTS :

NanoBoxJan-15
  • Like 11
  • Wow 1

That Miami chalice is going to completely devour your mummy eye if you don't move him soon.  :o

I totally agree on the coral feeding ritual.  Feeding corals everyday or close to it really helps with their growth and color.  They are animals too and want to be fed.

Your orange/pink/yellow scolly is looking so good.

The tank looks amazing, and the coral growth photos are awesome. Any plans/ideas to control your cyphestrea? Similarly, mine as begun to take off and has already taken a bite out of a monti (which was moved). It continues to creep, I'm beginning to get nervous.

Also you need to come down to Louisiana and experience some real (swamp) fishing: bull reds, speckled trout runs, and hillbilly bow fishing...  

Very impressive @DaveFason! Great updates.

Interesting to hear what you are feeding your coral every morning and great tips. 

Did you ever get that new tank setup? Did I miss that? Also, how's the chaeto reactor working out for you?

On 1/2/2018 at 10:07 AM, Scorched said:

That Miami chalice is going to completely devour your mummy eye if you don't move him soon.  :o

I totally agree on the coral feeding ritual.  Feeding corals everyday or close to it really helps with their growth and color.  They are animals too and want to be fed.

Your orange/pink/yellow scolly is looking so good.

I know. It is growing quickly. The scoly looks nuts. It is hard to describe but it smokes most I have seen. 

23 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

The tank looks amazing, and the coral growth photos are awesome. Any plans/ideas to control your cyphestrea? Similarly, mine as begun to take off and has already taken a bite out of a monti (which was moved). It continues to creep, I'm beginning to get nervous.

Also you need to come down to Louisiana and experience some real (swamp) fishing: bull reds, speckled trout runs, and hillbilly bow fishing...  

Thank you. I will start to frag or blast it with pickling lime. I have some in the back that is even larger! 

Do you fish down there. Would love to make the trip this year!

21 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Awesome progress @DaveFason, I always love these photos updates! Really nice growth progression, especially on that Setosa!

Thanks! It is one of the best parts of the hobby. 

17 hours ago, Justind823 said:

Very impressive @DaveFason! Great updates.

Interesting to hear what you are feeding your coral every morning and great tips. 

Did you ever get that new tank setup? Did I miss that? Also, how's the chaeto reactor working out for you?

Check out the video. New setup had a huge set back but should be up this weekend. Reactor is running and working! 

30 minutes ago, metrokat said:

Nice update!

Thank ya!

Check out the video I put together of the coral food concoction. Thanks to BrightWell aquatics! 

Enjoy! 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, DaveFason said:

I know. It is growing quickly. The scoly looks nuts. It is hard to describe but it smokes most I have seen. 

Thank you. I will start to frag or blast it with pickling lime. I have some in the back that is even larger! 

Do you fish down there. Would love to make the trip this year!

Thanks! It is one of the best parts of the hobby. 

Check out the video. New setup had a huge set back but should be up this weekend. Reactor is running and working! 

Thank ya!

Check out the video I put together of the coral food concoction. Thanks to BrightWell aquatics! 

Enjoy! 

Great Vid D and update.  Hope you and yours are having a great start to the New Year!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just wow Dave. Very nice!

@Ayo, I’m sure Dave will get back to you on that feeding tool but here’s what I came up with and keeps my hands out of the tank while still being able to get to the sandbed If I wish.

-desired length /diameter hard tubing

-airline tubing to match 

-syringe 

simple and effective.

Dave, sorry for hikacking your thread!

172D1ED8-D9FE-4B5D-BF9C-E7D82E4831E9.jpeg

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
redseaFTS

A few updates on the tank. 

• Tank has been running extremely well. I will need to start dosing a two part solution. 
  • After using Brightwell products I have had a couple corals respond better than ever. The orange scoli is out of this world ( hard to show in photos ). Oranges on all colors has been out of this world. The bottled Reef Snow and aminos are currently my favorite. 
  • I have to many corals in the tank. Coral warfare is already happening!
  • SPS on top right rock are looking very good. The Walt Disney and purple tip nano. The purple tip should start to take off in the coming weeks as it laid down a strong base. 
  • Bubble algae is still bad and continuing to work on it. It is hard to complain when the rest of the tank looks great. 
  •  I am looking for a golden dwarf eel. I miss my old one! 
  • I would like to swap the Aquamai nano pump for a MP40 or 10. It works great but the flow is not there. I am leaning towards a MP40 simply because they work better than the 10 and make less noise. 

More to come!

-Dave

• Like 2
  • Wow 3

Looks great, Dave! I may try your Brightwell recipe, I'm tired of Reef Roids raising my phosphates, so I don't feed much more than once or twice a week. 

I swapped my MP40 for an MP10 in my 40g because I couldn't turn it up past about 40%. But now that the corals have grown up and block the flow more, I wish I had the MP40 back. 

21 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Wow Dave, looking good! It's wild to see that giant purple tip hammer just squished in the front corner, but it doesn't seem to mind! :lol: 

No kidding. I fragged three heads and it looks like nothing was done! 

19 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Looks great, Dave! I may try your Brightwell recipe, I'm tired of Reef Roids raising my phosphates, so I don't feed much more than once or twice a week. 

I swapped my MP40 for an MP10 in my 40g because I couldn't turn it up past about 40%. But now that the corals have grown up and block the flow more, I wish I had the MP40 back. 

Give it a shot. Make sure to order from @Marine Depot. ;)

I have yet to test my PO4. Corals are happy and I am happy. 

17 hours ago, Indiana Reefin said:

Tank looks awesome Dave!! I would love to have your setup!

You can! :D 

16 hours ago, William said:

What is your feeding schedule 

The video above. I do this every day or every other day. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, HippieSquirrel said:

Quick question on your feeding regimen, why do you add the MicroBacter7? Isn't that a bacterial supplement and/or kick start for bio filtration? 

I just add it due to me being lazy. Using the product every day I just add it with everything else. 

• Thanks 1