Innovative Marine Aquariums

Daves/NanoBox Red Sea 170 : NEW Video 1/30/19

DaveFason

9 hours ago, AvaS said:

Wow your tank is amazing!! I love that orange acan in the sand bed! Any frags that you can share?!??? 

Thanks! As of now, no. I may frag it at some point but would love to see a large colony. 

12 hours ago, Kdrof said:

Dave, your tank looks so good dude! Love it!

Thanks bud! 

13 hours ago, Asureef said:

Looks great! 

How much par is your WD getting? 

Thank you. It was getting ~ 270-300ish. Now with the Duo is has not changed much due to the placement of light/coral. The acro behind it has really taken off as well. 

Carry this over to the new page. 

It has been a while and recently have changed the tank up a bit! I am gearing up for my Asia trip in a week so I took a few pictures and a quick video. 

UPDATES :

• Quad switched to Duo.
  • Dare I say less light has created better growth? More on that later.
  • Still battling aptasia and bubble algae but getting much better!
  • Lost my second cardinal fish. :(
  • Took macro reactor offline - Honestly to much work for me to clean, empty, cut, etc. 
  • Coral health and coloration have been off the charts. 
  • I accidentally had a eight day blackout - Only coral effected was Walt Disney ( lost some pink ).

Video :

Pictures : These are all actinic 

NBR42518-12NBR42518-14NBR42518-13NBR42518-17NBR42518-15NBR42518-16

Enjoy,

-Dave

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, burtbollinger said:

would LOVE a PAR readout in the back left and right corners with the Duo on a 170....help me from having to buy a PAR meter ;)

I will try before I head out of town. In all curiosity, what are you putting in the back corners? :P

I have three frags of acans in those back corners and love life. 

33 minutes ago, CarolinaShoreReef said:

What a stunning tank!! Great photography and videos! 

Thank you! 

burtbollinger
5 hours ago, DaveFason said:

I will try before I head out of town. In all curiosity, what are you putting in the back corners? :P

I have three frags of acans in those back corners and love life. 

Thank you! 

I had an aussie gold torch on the right rear...but he slowly "browned" out...so I moved him more front in center. (the gold became less and less, and the tentacles went fairly purple.  Great extension and overall health still.)  You can see him here:  

I know i can do blastos and duncans....but it seems like the aussie gold wants 150+ PAR to keep that gold color. (very little real facts on Aussie gold torches and their gold color, TBH).

My RFA also didnt like it back there...walking and planting himself where you see him in the video.

running basically your LPS+ setting 5" from water.

Overall...getting great growth and incredible color...its an amazing light.

1 hour ago, burtbollinger said:

I had an aussie gold torch on the right rear...but he slowly "browned" out...so I moved him more front in center. (the gold became less and less, and the tentacles went fairly purple.  Great extension and overall health still.)  You can see him here:  

I know i can do blastos and duncans....but it seems like the aussie gold wants 150+ PAR to keep that gold color. (very little real facts on Aussie gold torches and their gold color, TBH).

My RFA also didnt like it back there...walking and planting himself where you see him in the video.

running basically your LPS+ setting 5" from water.

Overall...getting great growth and incredible color...its an amazing light.

Totally agree that the gold/orange/yellow torches want more light. I think that they will thrive anywhere but the more light, more color. 

I will get it done. :)

• 1 month later...

The good. The bad. The ugly. 

Good :

• Corals looks amazing. Growth slowed down only due to me being lazy. 
  • Equipment is all working great. 
  • Switching to the Duo, do I dare say it has made this tank look better!?
  • Bubble algae is still there but starting to go away! 

Bad :

• I was lazy and forgot to do water changes for some time. Feeding heavily and not doing a darn thing. 

Ugly :

• Aptasia & green film algae. No idea what the algae is but I know it will be gone soon with some elbow grease. You can see it in the video and photos. 

Overall the tank is doing wonderful. I like to be honest with what is going on in the tank. If you have any questions just holler! 

Video : 1080

nanobox6318nanobox6318-2nanobox6318-14nanobox6318-11nanobox6318-12nanobox6318-16nanobox6318-6nanobox6318-17nanobox6318-10nanobox6318-4nanobox6318-3nanobox6318-8nanobox6318-13nanobox6318-9nanobox6318-7nanobox6318-5nanobox6318-15

Personal life has been nuts. I was able to go to Japan, Hong Kong and a few other places!

gujo-7gujo-16gujo-23gujo-27gujo-37gujo-45gujo-49conclave-34stew421-7hong-18hong-19

Enjoy!

-Dave

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
mitten_reef

42543020191_8966501c62_b.jpg&key=4481e64

25790522787_02a34cd8bf_b.jpg&key=ddb2590

That walt disney is looking great Dave!  Is the tank really that much darker in real life? 

Top lit with Duo, bottom lit with Quad (I grabbed one of the first wider shot I found).  

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

42543020191_8966501c62_b.jpg&key=4481e64

25790522787_02a34cd8bf_b.jpg&key=ddb2590

That walt disney is looking great Dave!  Is the tank really that much darker in real life? 

Top lit with Duo, bottom lit with Quad (I grabbed one of the first wider shot I found).  

No. It is a little dark in the corners but these were taken in the morning schedule. 

• Like 1

Looks fantastic Dave.

Does your unit have Mint?   I've been running all channels at 80% and Mint at 100% (on my 40 gallon) and it looks fantastic.  Probably related to the number of Mint I have vs everything else but so far Mint is the winner, looks much better than Lime and I can compare since tanks are side by side.  

16 minutes ago, HiImSean said:

I love Japan! That looks like Nikko in the bridge picture. 

Gujo Hachiman actually. 

8 minutes ago, markalot said:

Looks fantastic Dave.

Does your unit have Mint?   I've been running all channels at 80% and Mint at 100% (on my 40 gallon) and it looks fantastic.  Probably related to the number of Mint I have vs everything else but so far Mint is the winner, looks much better than Lime and I can compare since tanks are side by side.  

Mint yep! I do 85% for royal, blue/cyan and violet. Mint 40%.

Thanks! I did a water change this weekend and intend to do one Friday. Should get things running back to normal. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Amazing tank and photos, Dave!  

Holy moly! Tigah! Hope you are well. 

Hope you know your little 2.5g surge got me into reefing. 😄 

-Dave

13 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

Holy moly! Tigah! Hope you are well. 

Hope you know your little 2.5g surge got me into reefing. 😄 

-Dave

:)  I'm doing well, Dave.  Thanks for asking!  

Been out of the hobby so long that I don't know what's what anymore.  But the NanoBox looks pretty sweet tho!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The tank is chugging along. The fight is still on with the green film algae. I am sending water samples to see what they can find. 

The purple tip nana, @micoastreefing monti, pink zoas and favors are growing quickly.

I was able to separate the Mummy Eye and Miami Hurricane chalices without doing damage. 

Quick FTS :

Nano Box Red Sea

Macros this Sunday! 

-Dave

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

Pictures, as promised. We've had numerous power outages and this weekend took a toll on the Walt Disney. I small branch started to STN but the tank is back on track. 

NBRReeferNBRReefer-9NBRReefer-10NBRReefer-8NBRReefer-7NBRReefer-6NBRReefer-5NBRReefer-4NBRReefer-3NBRReefer-2

Enjoy! 

-Dave

• Like 9