ReefCleaners.org

Dawn's pony garden.

vlangel

I added 3 bags (still need 1 more) of fine oolite sand this morning to make the DSB plateau.  I was going to do it one bag at a time but I decided that @Pinner Reef was right.  The die off from just the rock surface compared to all the biological filtration this tank has is probably minimal.  I did bring my ammonia badge up from the sump so I can keep an eye on things easier.  Surprisingly the tank is not overly cloudy but I also put filter floss in the overflow to catch silt.  I will try to take a pic soon.

• Like 5

This is a terrible video in that there is still fine silt in the water column.  It will take a couple days for a biofilm to hold it in place.  I just wanted to give anyone who was interested a sneak peek of what it looks like.

The ponies seem to love their little corky finger island!  I like it too because now I can see my little babies without hunting so hard.

• Like 9
  • Wow 2
21 minutes ago, vlangel said:

This is a terrible video in that there is still fine silt in the water column.  It will take a couple days for a biofilm to hold it in place.  I just wanted to give anyone who was interested a sneak peek of what it looks like.

The ponies seem to love their little corky finger island!  I like it too because now I can see my little babies without hunting so hard.

I like it!

1 hour ago, WV Reefer said:

I like it!

1 hour ago, fishfreak0114 said:

LOVE IT!!!!  I think it makes the tank look more natural with a little sand. 

34 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

That looks great!! 

Your tank has more flow than I thought it would with seahorses.

20 minutes ago, Kellie in CA said:

:wub: 

4 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Wow Dawn, it turned out awesome, such a natural look!

Thanks everyone!  I am really loving the natural look too, it is exactly what I was going for.  Now hopefull I am not wrong about it trapping debris and increasing a pathogenic bacterial count.  SeaFurn, that is why I have so much flow, so excess food stays in suspension.  There are areas of very high flow, moderate and slow so the ponies can pick what they want.

• Like 4

Sometimes when it rains 'good things,' it pours!  Dave, my husband ordered me some macro algaes off ebay (just because he likes to spoil me) and they came today.  I was worried because it was quite cold today and I did not know when they were coming.  Anyway, they made it in fine shape and were very well packaged.  They are small portions but each one was mounted on a frag plug.  I stuck them in the new sand plataeu so they can grow.  I also got 2 red finger sponges which look really nice. I am excited.

• Like 6
5 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Looks amazing! :wub:  Now the ponies can go to the "beach" if they want! :lol:

Thanks Lula.  The beach is more like a cliff, ha ha!  I need to take a pic from that angle so you can see what I mean.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, vlangel said:
17 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Looks amazing! :wub:  Now the ponies can go to the "beach" if they want! :lol:

2018-01-26_02-48-11

I guess it could be a beach with cliffs and sand dunes!

• Like 9
  • Wow 1

My husband thought there was not enough height to the scape on the low end.  He felt like something tall was needed.  I am not sure, I almost feel like the tank is crowded now.  What do you think?

2018-01-26_02-50-01

I really need to take a pic from the other angle, and/or straight on but the sun is reflecting real bad.

• Like 3

I like the sand addition. Although I think the husband might be right... Perhaps a photosynthetic gorg or more macros on the right might help balance things out.

This is really just me giving you a reason to go coral shopping. :happy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
7 minutes ago, vlangel said:

My husband thought there was not enough height to the scape on the low end.  He felt like something tall was needed.  I am not sure, I almost feel like the tank is crowded now.  What do you think?

2018-01-26_02-50-01

I really need to take a pic from the other angle, and/or straight on but the sun is reflecting real bad.

I wouldn’t say crowded but it feels like “more”.  

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Pinner Reef said:

I like the sand addition. Although I think the husband might be right... Perhaps a photosynthetic gorg or more macros on the right might help balance things out.

This is really just me giving you a reason to go coral shopping. :happy:

I do have a baby sargassum growing up on the plateau and it gets tall.  Maybe it will grow into exactly what I need?...or I could just go and buy something now, ha ha! ?

• Like 1