Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Dawn's pony garden.

vlangel

2018-03-03_08-55-34

Samson and Delilah.

2018-03-03_08-52-28

Whiplash speeding away...

2018-03-03_08-53-41

...and some snails doing anything but speeding away!

2018-03-01_06-58-00

A favorite spot for everyone.

• Like 9
5 minutes ago, Rene said:

Everything in here looks so serene. I like the big splashes of color from the macros and sponge!

Thanks Rene, I really like the color macros can add without a lot of work, plus they are a nutrient export.

• Like 9

Everything is so clean and beautiful, great fish choices, love the background... I would change nothing!

A stream of this tank would be so calming and lull me to a peaceful sleep...

P.S. I have no idea how you keep the sand so clean!

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Everything is so clean and beautiful, great fish choices, love the background... I would change nothing!

A stream of this tank would be so calming and lull me to a peaceful sleep...

P.S. I have no idea how you keep the sand so clean!

Thanks Tamberav!  Since its a seahorse tank, I have my hands in it at least once a week and I dance my fingers through the sand and stir it up.  It is still getting some diatomous algae since the sand is new.

The fish are all pretty chill except Whiplash, the Snyder weaver blenny.  He's a bit nosey and now I hear they can be aggressive.  He maybe was not the best choice for a pony tank but I will keep my eye on him.  He is very cute and inquisitive and I really like him.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Rene said:

This tank is about due for TOTM, I think. The video seals it. 

That is very flattering Rene but I don't feel this tank is ready to be featured.  I would like to see it pass the test of time with the seahorses now that I have added sand.  I did that knowing that it was a risk.  I would not want to inspire another aquarist to try what I am doing (with seahorses) until I know it can be successful.  I thank you though for the compliment and I am humbled by it.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Lypto said:

your tank is crazy colorful and an awesome example of a marine planted tank, super cool.

Thank you so much Lypto.  I do love the splashes of bright red and green.

Impressive as usual! Really hope the sand works out in your favor. It looks fantastic and adds a much more natural look. Love the fish too! I personally do not like the look of pajama cardinals but they fit the look and decor of your system perfectly! Wishing you continued success! 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Dos Ocho said:

Impressive as usual! Really hope the sand works out in your favor. It looks fantastic and adds a much more natural look. Love the fish too! I personally do not like the look of pajama cardinals but they fit the look and decor of your system perfectly! Wishing you continued success! 

Thanks Dos Ochoa for the kind words. Pajama cardinals are not my first choice either but I needed fish with quiet temperaments.  Like you said though, they seem suited for the environment so I am enjoying them.

I finally got around to getting some coarser grained sand for the top of the seahorse garden.  I need to do some tweaking to the scape and look for detritus build up so later today is a good time to add it.  I chose Lowe's play sand since I have used it in the past.  It wont be as white but I will mix it in the top layer so as to not smother the bio-life on the surface of the sandbed.  I will finish up with a water change so it should really have no impact on the tank, except to help hold the sand in place or so I hope.

• Like 1
Nano sapiens

Everything looks quite happy in there  :)

Speaking of sand, due to the susceptibility of Seahorses to bacterial buildup/infection, are you planning on vacuuming under the live rock on a regular schedule?  It's amazing what gets stored up under there!

• Like 1

I know very little about ponies.

Why is sand a bad thing? Just harder to clean and maybe increase the risk of bacterial infections in the ponies?

i think I have seen sand in images of seahorse tanks but not sure the longevity of those tanks. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Nano sapiens said:

Everything looks quite happy in there  :)

Speaking of sand, due to the susceptibility of Seahorses to bacterial buildup/infection, are you planning on vacuuming under the live rock on a regular schedule?  It's amazing what gets stored up under there!

Yes, I am planning on vacuming the shallow portion of the sandbed.  I will not be vacuming the deep sandbed.  The rock is sitting on the glass so I will not need to move it to vacume.  I do have nassarius snails as part of my cuc too.

7 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I know very little about ponies.

Why is sand a bad thing? Just harder to clean and maybe increase the risk of bacterial infections in the ponies?

i think I have seen sand in images of seahorse tanks but not sure the longevity of those tanks. 

Yes sand does increase the risk of bacterial infection, which is a seahorse's greatest vulnerability.  Uneatten mysis can be trapped at the base of rock where it meets the sand.  On a bb tank high flow can dislodge trapped food but sand inhibits that, even in high flow.  A good cuc can help a lot however.  I have 2 nassarius snails and 3 peppermint shrimp. 

Lots of seahorse keepers have sand.  Many long term keepers do away with their sand as it does symplify maintenance.  It just depends on how much husbandry a person is willing to deal with.  My biggest concern about creating risk in my tank, is my deep sandbed held back by a rock retaining wall.  I have the strong powerhead aimed right at the wall and I feed my ponies in a bowl to lessen the chances of food getting trapped.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I saw this on Etsy and thought of your tank! He has a octopus one I really like but not sure about hanging steel around an aquarium. 

il_570xN.1273345670_doop.jpg

https://www.etsy.com/listing/538056776/layered-steel-seahorse?ref=shop_home_active_15

O wow, thanks!  That is cool.  I have to admit that our livingroom is already over-run with seahorses.  They are all just so cute!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I siphoned some of my sandbed today but the siphon clean is not a good one.  I have a better one coming for the future.  I also pruned the caulerpa, since when it gets too long it lays on coral. This was all while doing a WC.  The ponies are ready for the weekend!

• Like 1

Today I saw something for the first time...peppermint shrimp cleaning the snyder weaver blenny.  Whiplash was just happily letting 2 shrimp make him spic n span.  I knew peppermint shrimp were in the cleaner family but had never actually seen them do it.  

• Like 2

The fish get their time to shine!

20180310_200710

Yin and Yang hunting.

2018-03-10_08-33-15

Whiplash is so bold and never shy!

2018-03-10_08-31-57

Jammies and PJ.  Little PJ gets harassed by his buddy but he seems undaunted.

• Like 9