Coral Vue Hydros

Dawn's pony garden.

vlangel

Looks gorgeous, Dawn!  I love the concept of the modular scape that you can move around.  You've really perfected this setup to make it ideal for caring for the seahorses.  I'm always so impressed with how much through and time went into the system design.

The ponies are looking so happy and healthy.  I especially love Eve hanging out in the new FTS.  She's so huge and healthy looking!  Also, the cirri on the little female is outstanding!  I'm glad she seems to be keeping her cirri!

• Like 2
9 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

It looks fantastic. Of course it always looks fantastic!

Thank you and you are too kind!  

7 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Wow, the tank looks beautiful!  And the ponies :wub:

Thanks fishfreak, I am pretty happy with how it turned out.

6 hours ago, RIP Sebastian said:

Looks great! I LOVE Delilah's cirri! She looks like a wild child!

Ha ha, she does look like a wild child!  She does not act like one though.

6 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Holy Seahorses! I didn't think you could improve this tank, but WOW!

I don't know, the prior scape was looking pretty chunky.  I felt like I needed to leave more indentions and knobby areas rather than filling them all in.  I am glad that you like the new look.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Felicia said:

Looks gorgeous, Dawn!  I love the concept of the modular scape that you can move around.  You've really perfected this setup to make it ideal for caring for the seahorses.  I'm always so impressed with how much through and time went into the system design.

The ponies are looking so happy and healthy.  I especially love Eve hanging out in the new FTS.  She's so huge and healthy looking!  Also, the cirri on the little female is outstanding!  I'm glad she seems to be keeping her cirri!

Thanks Felicia, but I can't claim that it was all well thought out.  The modular thing was kind of an accident when I was trying to get rid of bubble algae in the bowfront tank.  I had to rip and tear some coral to do it.  After that I mounted a lot of coral on smaller rock that can be placed somewhere on the large rocks.  I like that I can remove nearly all the coral and nothing is impacted drastically.  It works especially well in a seahorse tank where husbandry really matters.

Yes, they all seem pretty happy and healthy.  I feel real good about them.  Tomorrow I will have had Eve for 3 years.  Can you believe it?  She is magestic and regal and will always be special to me because she was part of my first pair.

I love Delilah's cirri too...it is so long and flowing.  She seems to be a late bloomer.  She still is not showing any interest in Samson's flirts.  Its usually erectus juveniles that have cirri, so I am thinking when she does grow up that she still could lose it.  I hope not.

26 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Looks wonderful as always, and great shots of the gang!

Thank you.  I hope with such good hitches near the front that I can feature the ponies better than I have in the past.

• Like 4
  • 4 weeks later...

My seahorse tank thread has taken 2nd place to the creative container contest and my reef jar, LOL.  Only the thread however, not the seahorses.  They are doing very well.  Samson and Delilah have grown a lot.  I am away but will try to take pics when I come home.

• Like 6

Glad to hear the seahorses are doing well!  When I've had multiple tanks, I've always gotten excited about new builds and neglected photographing the old tank.  Its just fun to document something new and constantly changing.  We always love seahorse photos though!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Felicia said:

Glad to hear the seahorses are doing well!  When I've had multiple tanks, I've always gotten excited about new builds and neglected photographing the old tank.  Its just fun to document something new and constantly changing.  We always love seahorse photos though!

I will do my best to get pics after I get the seahorse tank scrubbed of film algae.  It has a new scape since my last pic too.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, vlangel said:

20171103_211142

Nov 2017 FTS and first year anniversary!

It’s so clean that it doesn’t look real.....almost like there is no water!  I love it! :)  

Just now, WV Reefer said:

It’s so clean that it doesn’t look real.....almost like there is no water!  I love it! :)  

Ha ha, you would not say that if you saw it in person.  It is dirtier than it appears in the pic but I do try very hard to keep it clean for the ponies however.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

The ponies look great Dawn! Congratulations on the first tank anniversary :happy: 

Wow, that year went fast!  I am liking how well the ponies are doing in this tank.  I guess 3 is a charm since this is my 3rd seahorse tank.

Happy birthday to the tank!  One year is always an exciting milestone.  :)  The tank looks so clean and everything looks so happy and healthy!  I always love the photos of the seahorses.  I'm glad they're all doing well!  I really love that tall green macro algae on the right hand side.  The way its growing vertically like that almost looks like mini kelp and gives the tank a bit of a kelp forest vibe, which I love!

2 hours ago, Felicia said:

Happy birthday to the tank!  One year is always an exciting milestone.  :)  The tank looks so clean and everything looks so happy and healthy!  I always love the photos of the seahorses.  I'm glad they're all doing well!  I really love that tall green macro algae on the right hand side.  The way its growing vertically like that almost looks like mini kelp and gives the tank a bit of a kelp forest vibe, which I love!

It is an exciting milestone.  I like that this tank does not look much different from when I first set it up in terms of cleanliness.  It is relatively easy to maintain that fresh clean look. About the only telltale sign that it is older is the coraline algae on the overflow.

That tall green algae is just feather caulerpa that I let get tall.  For awhile I was segregating it from the rockwork but macro algaes seem to flourish more than coral in the cool temperatures.  I have decided to quit fighting it and let it have a more significant place in the tank.  Anyway, Delilah loves it and that is where she likes to hitch.

I had not thought about it having a kelp forest look but now that you mention it, I can see it.  We visited Monterey Bay aquarium a couple of years ago and that was my favorite display.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I did some major pruning of macros while taking care of maintenance.  I am shocked how fast the caulerpa and red titan grow.  It seems like I am pruning big time every 2 weeks.

• Like 3

Yesterday Samson hitched to one of my trocus snails, (which have grown so much that they look like turbo snails).  Anyway the snail lifted up its shell a bit and Sammy's tail slipped in between the snails body and shell.  When the snail adjusted itself back to normal, Sammy's tail was pinched.  I hope to get a good look at it today when the lights come on to make sure there is not a wound there.

• Like 1