Pod Your Reef

Dawn's pony garden.

vlangel

Just now, vlangel said:

Thanks teeny, in a way I can't believe that its been a year already either.

I love being able to disassemble the rockwork in this tank to keep it cleaner and detritus free.  Its always a new scape because I never can remember how to put it back together the way it was, ha ha!

That reminds me of my 4g tank. Everything fit together perfectly...until the next time I tried to put it back together and couldn't remember how to make it work. New scape every time :)

• Like 1
10 hours ago, teenyreef said:

That reminds me of my 4g tank. Everything fit together perfectly...until the next time I tried to put it back together and couldn't remember how to make it work. New scape every time :)

In a way that helps keep the tank fresh and interesting.  New scape every time keeps us from getting bored with our tanks, right?

• Like 2

There is lots of flirting going on.  The lights were off except the moonlight leds, but I could see Eve was lit up like a Christmas tree.  She was trying to get Sammie's attention but Delilah was also colored up, and she had Samson's attention.  Finally Delilah is growing up because I saw her point her snout upwards which is a cue to a male that she would like to dance.  I expect that it wont be long before they mate.  I feel kind of bad for Eve however. ?

• Like 4
3 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Exciting!

It has been a long time since my seahorses have danced and it resulted in having fry.  Even though I don't plan to raise seahorses right now, I would still like to experience it again.  I have someone who will take the fry so they have a chance at life.

A new seahorse video.  Its mostly Samson and Delilah but Eve does make an appearance.  Also I did not clean anything so the tank is in a very 'real' state.

• Like 9

I changed the temperature controller to turn the fan on at 74° instead of 72°.  I wanted the fan not to run as much because of how much evaporation was happening.  (I am not using the smart ATO because it was unreliable).  Anyway the fan has almost stopped running since the basement temperature is about 72°.

Not only is this good news as far as less evaporation but the ponies have become much more active.  Even Eve, the matriarch is seen playing in the flow.

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2017 at 11:53 PM, teenyreef said:

What's been going on with the smart ATO?

On 12/13/2017 at 9:37 AM, kimberbee said:

I have the original Smart ATO and the Micro. No problems. I wonder if your's is somehow defective?

Sorry I missed your posts, I have been spending all my N-R time in the pico sections, ha ha.  It just wasn't working properly.  I need to sit down and work on cleaning all the contacts and give it another try.

• Like 1

I just had one of those terrifying, heart-stopping moments with the seahorse tank!  I decided that it should get a deep clean to start out the new year. I started out with extra water changes to get water quality up to top condition in case I stirred up any nasties.  After the water change I did some other chores and ate lunch.  I went downstairs to add extra water to the sump tank (so I could syphon out debris without the maco algae in the fuge being out of water)but the sump was already down an inch from the high water mark.  I knew it didn't evaporate in that short of time.  I looked everywhere for a leak but the floor was dry,and the over flow container for the skimmer was empty.  I was really puzzled as to where that water went.  I finally gave up and filled it back up to the high water line.  Then I went up stairs to start on the display tank.  Thats when my heart almost stopped.  The water in the display was almost overflowing.  The first thing that came to my mind was that the drain must be clogged.  I reached in to remove the standpipe and hofer gurgle buster and it was packed with dead stinkbugs!  Immediately the display drained to where it should be and everything is fine, disaster was adverted.  All those stinkbugs must have gone into the overflow when I turned the return back on.  I use to have mesh behind the teeth of the overflow when Samson and Delilah were little.  I decided a few weeks ago that it was no longer necessary but I think I will rethink that, ha ha!  Anyway, all is well that ends well.

• Wow 4
2 hours ago, Pinner Reef said:

We have a new winner for "weirdest aquarium problem" story of all time. 

Reveal hidden contents

Stinkbugs in my overflow :bowdown:

Hey I will takest 'weirdest' over 'disasterous' any day!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
11 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

He's such a Stud!

He will gain real credibility when he actually captures some of Eve's eggs in his pouch instead of dropping them on the bottom of the tank! LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The ponies look great after our little trip.  The tank has some film algae but everything else looks good.  When its all cleaned up I will take some pics.

• Like 4