Coral Vue Hydros

Ninja's Fluval Evo 13.5 - Reboot Color Theme!

ninjamyst

Not much going on in this tank except for cyano and algae pissing off the gorgonians.

But I got the nicest gift the other day from a NR member =)

32616454436_717017f891_z.jpg

And just a random pic of the most badass clownfish ever. Survived through everything I threw at it the past few years.

32616450416_496c567fd0_z.jpg

• Like 15
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2017 at 8:49 PM, ninjamyst said:

Not much going on in this tank except for cyano and algae pissing off the gorgonians.

But I got the nicest gift the other day from a NR member =)

32616454436_717017f891_z.jpg

And just a random pic of the most badass clownfish ever. Survived through everything I threw at it the past few years.

32616450416_496c567fd0_z.jpg

That photo is AWESOME!!  I'm totally snagging it by the way :D

• Like 3
7 hours ago, kimberbee said:

How did I not know of this tank?!? 

You want a piece of Grube's gorgonian at some point? I think I need to trim mine - it's a good grower!! 

hahah, dont think I had this when you were over.  none of my gorgonian has grown much =(.  i think i am doing something wrong....

42 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

hahah, dont think I had this when you were over.  none of my gorgonian has grown much =(.  i think i am doing something wrong....

I was gonna ask how the red and gold gorg doing. Mine had been on a long decline, losing a lot of the flesh and polyps, sections of branches taken over by algae. I decided to clip of the remaining stems, and remove all the algae-covered portions. Started to spot feed with reef roid and goniopower, so far that stopped the decline, but no obvious growth yet.   

10 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

I was gonna ask how the red and gold gorg doing. Mine had been on a long decline, losing a lot of the flesh and polyps, sections of branches taken over by algae. I decided to clip of the remaining stems, and remove all the algae-covered portions. Started to spot feed with reef roid and goniopower, so far that stopped the decline, but no obvious growth yet.   

same here =(

• 2 weeks later...

how do you feel the back compartment filtration handles the heavy gorgonian feeding load? Probably better than spec V, but I'm still curious how well this AIO does in real life.

• 1 month later...
On 3/5/2017 at 0:57 AM, Moolelo said:

how do you feel the back compartment filtration handles the heavy gorgonian feeding load? Probably better than spec V, but I'm still curious how well this AIO does in real life.

Lost two of my gorgonians.  Algae took hold and they started to loose flesh.  My other two are in bad shape right now.  It was my fault though.  I been neglecting this tank and algae took over everything.  I scrubbed everything down today and I also replenished the tank with frags from my 75 gallon.  Will take some pics soon.  Another issue was lack of flow.  I took off the split nozzle and flow is much much better now.  The back chambers are actually quite large.  This is a GREAT AIO in my opinion.  Although if I can do it over again, I will go for the IM 20 peninsula just for more water volume.  But I would not pick the IM 14 peninsula over this.

I also added a flame angel....don't flame me.  It's temporary QT.  It's not eating though, been a week. 

• Like 1

Definitely glad to hear thoughts about the IM Peninsula 20 over this tank if done over again...  They're the two main tanks I keep looking at for finally getting into the hobby ^_^;;;;;

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Definitely glad to hear thoughts about the IM Peninsula 20 over this tank if done over again...  They're the two main tanks I keep looking at for finally getting into the hobby ^_^;;;;;

the only negative to the IM 20 is that it is 30" long so you will pay a lot more to light it.  As a matter of fact, I am not sure what light will look good mounted on the IM 20.  A single fixture like Kessil A160 or Nanobox Tide or AI Hydra 26 will not be enough.  It will also be hard to find a light that can mount from the back chamber and go far enough to light the other end....

2 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

the only negative to the IM 20 is that it is 30" long so you will pay a lot more to light it.  As a matter of fact, I am not sure what light will look good mounted on the IM 20.  A single fixture like Kessil A160 or Nanobox Tide or AI Hydra 26 will not be enough.  It will also be hard to find a light that can mount from the back chamber and go far enough to light the other end....

Quite true.  What about a NanoBox duo using Dave's prototype acrylic leg system? It would be graceful, or if one wanted to there's always the hanging option (or complete overkill like a Hybrid light :p) 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Quite true.  What about a NanoBox duo using Dave's prototype acrylic leg system? It would be graceful, or if one wanted to there's always the hanging option (or complete overkill like a Hybrid light :p) 

I completely forgot about Dave's new acrylic leg mount.  That would look pretty sweet over the IM 20 Peninsula.  Hanging will probably be best.  I think I saw a build here with IM 20 Peninsula and hanging Current Marine LEDs.  

• Like 1
blizzardscout2

I have heard neon dottybacks are pretty aggressive. Amazing that it ate the shrimp that fast. That is too bad about the gorgonians. Hopefully the rest does okay!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
ninjamyst

A couple of updates:

• Flame Angel is only here for a few more weeks of observation QT.  It wasn't eating at first but after prazipro and freshwater dip, it is eating frozen like a champ.  Will hold it here for a few more weeks to make sure it is not eating nipping on corals.  Don't call tang police on me.
  • GHA mostly all gone after a few scrubbing with H202.  
  • Mounted torch and frogspawn to top of the rock to replace gorgonians
  • Started to build up a nice zoa garden from frags from the 75 gallon.  Can't wait for it to spread the entire rock.
  • Taking pics of this tank is really hard.  Not sure why...

34413723861_2e17515d20_z.jpg

34544017805_6d1947b40c_z.jpg

33701290334_02b457d066_z.jpg

34158170710_06b0fab571_z.jpg

• Like 13
FlowerMama

It's minimalist with a beautiful bridge of rock covered in awesomeness.  Yes, not overdone.  It's perfect.

• Like 3
ReefWeeds

:wub: I love this tank. It's so well done and I call BS on you having trouble taking photos of it. 

Im sorta kinda glad and really depressed at the same time that you're not doing the 100 Days of Nanos contest 

• Like 1