Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Teenyreef's IM40 Not-So-Teeny Tank - August FTS

teenyreef

Will definitely need pics of the designer acro. What was it? Please tell me you bought the Walt Disney...

Not Walt Disney. It'll have to wait a little while until I see if it is worth taking a picture, though :lol:

Oh, and Round 2 is done. Turns out my wife and daughter have great taste in corals. It also turns out there were more great deals.

More to come later :ninja:

• Like 5

I got all the new corals off their plugs, dipped in Bayer, and glued up in the tank. I even took a few pictures.

Then the power went out :(

The main hurricane effects we're getting are a little wind and a lot of rain. It's pretty unusual to lose power in my area so hopefully it will be back on soon.

If not I have battery powered air pumps for each tank. Fingers crossed!

Still no power. The pumps are going in all three tanks. We've gotten 5 to 8 inches of rain in the last four hours and the ground was already soaked from previous rains so there are lots of floods in the area already.

Power came back on at about 9 this morning. The battery powered pumps worked great. I just hope all my new sps don't stn. I'm hoping the experience was low stress for them since they deal with much worse with overnight shipping.

I'm behind of posting pictures of the new stuff because of the power outage, but here's a teaser for now.

Project X Fungid from Reefgen:

29571023044_770c183a9a_b.jpgRG Project X Fungid by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 12

I'm still catching up on picture editing after the reef show and the power outage! But here are just a few more pics...

I now have acans (micromussa) in the tank! There were some great deals at the show - most of these were $20 each. No extra charge for Frank's photobomb :)

30230221715_cc35b5eea3_b.jpgNew Acans by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Here are some closer shots. I've put these in a somewhat shaded spot and I'm hoping they will keep their rainbow colors fingerscrossed

30115286702_96f4a9ebd9_b.jpgAcans by TeenyReef, on Flickr

29599961614_ba2a1dee5c_b.jpgAcans by TeenyReef, on Flickr

29600798413_be7b6aca86_b.jpgAcans by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 7

I really like this last acan. My wife and youngest daughter came with me to the show, and we decided they would each buy their own coral at the show. It turned out great, as they were really interested in all the different corals, and turned out to have great taste in coral. My wife's first choice was a blue maxima clam from PEA, but this tank isn't mature enough for a clam. Too bad because they were big, beautiful, and only $80.

After shopping around for a while, my daughter found a rainbow acan that she really liked. So my wife and daughter decided to pool their coral money to get it since it was a bit more than we'd budgeted. I was really impressed with their selection :wub:

30195410476_8e155ea3e5_b.jpgAcans by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 10

I'm still catching up on picture editing after the reef show and the power outage! But here are just a few more pics...

I now have acans (micromussa) in the tank! There were some great deals at the show - most of these were $20 each. No extra charge for Frank's photobomb :)

30230221715_cc35b5eea3_b.jpgNew Acans by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Here are some closer shots. I've put these in a somewhat shaded spot and I'm hoping they will keep their rainbow colors fingerscrossed

30115286702_96f4a9ebd9_b.jpgAcans by TeenyReef, on Flickr

29599961614_ba2a1dee5c_b.jpgAcans by TeenyReef, on Flickr

29600798413_be7b6aca86_b.jpgAcans by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Oooooh, Acans! My favorite!

• Like 1

Man, power outage right after new acros .. sounds like my luck. Hopefully you didn't get too many issues from the hurricane.

New FTS a while back looks fantastic.

• Like 2

I like the new corals! That plate is cool! Your wife and daughter did a good job :)

What sand did you use?

Thanks! I have more pictures coming :ninja:

The sand is the same I use in the other tanks - Caribsea aragonite special blend. It seems to be a good balance between too big and too small. If the pumps are turned up it can move around some, but it doesn't get picked up and blown around the water.

Man, power outage right after new acros .. sounds like my luck. Hopefully you didn't get too many issues from the hurricane.

New FTS a while back looks fantastic.

Thanks, Mark. So far it looks like we escaped unscathed. All the corals and fish are doing well. The temps in the tanks got down to about 75 before the power came back on, but the air pumps kept the water moving and by the time the lights came back on in the afternoon everything looked normal.

Glad to see Im not the only Acan collector here,all those piecew are killer man. Cant wait to see everything you snagged. No new Zoa's ?

Thanks - I did get one zoa frag from Reefgen - it's a cool morph. I can't get the white balance quite right in this picture - they're actually a brighter yellow. Laura told me what they're called but I can't remember :blush:

29600809113_cfda7961cb_b.jpgRG Zoas by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 5

Shade will definitely help with rainbow color. I had a rainbow that turned dull orange. A month in the shade and its back to all rainbow again.

That's good to hear! I've heard that shade makes a big difference, but I haven't heard very many people report colors coming back after turning orange.

Oooooh, Acans! My favorite!

Mine too! I really hope these keep their colors. The rainbows in my 10g tank are still bright and colorful, but they've lost a lot of the rainbow colors and just have mostly shades of red and orange.

• Like 2

Oh wow,those are nice. ReefGen's stuff is always nice. Try and shade the acan's and gutload them and they gain their colors back. Thats ar least what I've learned,try it qith one piece and see what happens.

• Like 2
jedimasterben

Oh wow,those are nice. ReefGen's stuff is always nice. Try and shade the acan's and gutload them and they gain their colors back. Thats ar least what I've learned,try it qith one piece and see what happens.

+1, they have the best color in super low light.

• Like 1

+1, they have the best color in super low light.

All the ones I put in this tank are just in the shady area by the rocks. I'm going to check PAR on the sandbed there, but last time I checked the brightest spot on the sandbed was about 180. So I'm hoping the shadier spots are about 100.

This pink lemonade frag was $20 at the frag show. Unfortunately, you can see it's STN'ing from the bottom up. This picture was last night, and today it's more than half white. It's a gonerso I wanted to at least post a picture before it dies :(

All the rest of the SPS I got at the show seem to be doing fine, though! Pictures coming :)

29943261950_7527ce2a87_b.jpgPink Lemonade Acro by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 1

Just curious, How do u measure Par? And what is it?

PAR is Photosynthetically Active Radiation, basically a measurement of how intense the useful portion of the light is. You measure it with a PAR meter. I have an Apogee model that plugs into a laptop and shows the readings there. You just move the sensor that whatever spot you want to measure and the measurement shows up on the screen.

• Like 4