Innovative Marine Aquariums

Teenyreef's IM40 Not-So-Teeny Tank - August FTS

teenyreef

Cool :happydance:. I hope yours grows more spirally...better for the whole shading underneath thing. Mine wanted to grow flat like a plate. The purple wanted to be a cup though :D.

The purple is growing like a spiral cup in the 10g. The green also spirals but not as tightly.

Im going to need to get a bird of paradise like yours, Its a beauty!

I wish you were closer to me

so i could maybe get some idaho grape and green cap :P

PM me and let me know where you live. These monti caps do just fine with cheap two day shipping, so unless you live outside the two-day zone from me, shipping is pretty cheap.

• Like 3
reeferbrownies

The purple is growing like a spiral cup in the 10g. The green also spirals but not as tightly.

PM me and let me know where you live. These monti caps do just fine with cheap two day shipping, so unless you live outside the two-day zone from me, shipping is pretty cheap.

he lives by me, just send them to me...muahahahah

OOOOO GROUP BUY?

• Like 1

how's your RBTA doing?

He's still in the same spot and seems to be doing fine. Every evening when the lights start to get dim, he shrinks up into about a tenth of his normal size, and then is back to normal by morning. I have no idea if this is normal but he stays big and fluffy all day long.

I'm thinking about moving the clown fish over from the 10g tank this evening after the lights get low.

OOOOO GROUP BUY?

Sure, just let me know what you guys want :)

• Like 2

It's quite normal for them to shrink back into the rockwork to avoid marauding butterfly fish and angels if they don't have a clownfish hosting them.

Thanks, Stinky. I haven't noticed the angelfish bothering him but that might be what's going on. It's like clockwork, every night about halfway into the evening light cycle. I notice it because that's when I usually feed the tank. He still eats, though :D

I got some better pictures of the blue kenya tree - it's hard to capture the colors!

29178082220_17e584e5c6_b.jpgBlue Kenya Tree by TeenyReef, on Flickr

29177313850_951ba4bdef_b.jpgBlue Kenya Tree by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I also have progress pictures of the brown SPS but they're not really worth posting. I'll post them as part of the "before and after" when they color up B)

Here's an updated top down, just for a status update. I plan to glue up some of the zoa frags, sell/trade most of the rest, and move the remainder back into the frag tank which seems to be doing better now.

29177321480_827e0702c9_b.jpg2016-09-04 IM40 Top Down by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 8

Looks better every day. I have found it to be a pretty tough customer. It will take a lot of abuse and bounce right back.

Thanks for sending it! The color is beautiful - you can really see it well in the top down FTS.

• Like 2

I got some better pictures of the blue kenya tree - it's hard to capture the colors!

29178082220_17e584e5c6_b.jpgBlue Kenya Tree by TeenyReef, on Flickr

29177313850_951ba4bdef_b.jpgBlue Kenya Tree by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I also have progress pictures of the brown SPS but they're not really worth posting. I'll post them as part of the "before and after" when they color up B)

Here's an updated top down, just for a status update. I plan to glue up some of the zoa frags, sell/trade most of the rest, and move the remainder back into the frag tank which seems to be doing better now.

29177321480_827e0702c9_b.jpg2016-09-04 IM40 Top Down by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Is it actually blue?

• Like 1

Things have been doing pretty well this week while I've been busy at work. I'm still getting some diatoms on the sand and on the new rocks I put in for the zoas, plus on the glass. But nothing on the established rocks or the corals, so I think it's still just silicates leaching out of the sand.

Interestingly, though, I got a Salifert silicate test kit and it read zero? :wacko: I'm not sure how to interpret that. If it wasn't for the diatoms, I'd be willing to believe I have low silicates since that's what the sponge problems seem to indicate. But I definitely have diatoms. I guess the best course is just to ride it out and be patient.

I did find time last night to move Humphrey and Dilbert, the clowns, from the 10g tank. The RBTA has stayed in exactly the same place and it stays big and puffy other than the regular nightly shrinkage that seems to happen when the lights start to get dim.

Of course the clowns have completely ignored the RBTA. They made a beeline for the duncans instead, and snuggled in them down close to the sand. For the hour or so, the angel kept coming over and harassing them, but they just stayed hidden in the duncans, and he has left them alone ever since. They swim around freely now, but still haven't found the RBTA. I did catch one of the trying to snuggle in the zoas tonight, which is exactly why I wanted them out of the 10g tank :furious:.

Maybe.......depending on the Teenylettis.

Someday I will frag them!

• Like 6

Any tips to get the 9004 dialed in? I constantly have to tinker with mine by opening or closing the air valve . It bubbles like crazy when I water change or add additives to my tank. Do you turn it off and your pumps when you feed your fishes or when you go empty your collection cup?

• Like 1

I wonder if the silicate test is right - could be the diatoms have used all the silicates. Things look great!!!

I'm mystified. I tested again last night and got zero.

Then I tested the 10g tank, where the sponges grow quite nicely. Guess what? It measures zero there, too.

Do you get non-zero readings in your tank?

• Like 1

I'm mystified. I tested again last night and got zero.

Then I tested the 10g tank, where the sponges grow quite nicely. Guess what? It measures zero there, too.

Do you get non-zero readings in your tank?

Weird!!! Yes - I'll go look up my results. I think I have that same test kit too

• Like 1

Any tips to get the 9004 dialed in? I constantly have to tinker with mine by opening or closing the air valve . It bubbles like crazy when I water change or add additives to my tank. Do you turn it off and your pumps when you feed your fishes or when you go empty your collection cup?

I leave my air valve all the way open all the time, and I adjust the height of the skimmer in the tank.

I turn it off when I feed or do water changes, but not to change the cup. Once I got the right height, it's pretty much been untouched.

Mine doesn't bubble up with additives, but I don't know what additives your using.

• Like 1