Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Teenyreef's IM40 Not-So-Teeny Tank - August FTS

teenyreef

I have a few test acros growing near the top, but they're towards the back and are so tiny you can't see them at all in the FTS. But I'm also pretty happy with how they've been doing. This little green one has been in the tank for about six weeks and has kept color and PE. I haven't been dosing any amino acids or running the lights super bright, so I haven't been expecting really vibrant colors, but overall I think it's doing well.

28685728403_745514d171_b.jpg20160828-untitled-031-Edit.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I also moved a blue acro from the 10g tank over here about three weeks ago. For whatever reason, it was bleaching and was steadily declining in that tank:

29227969781_5f1d4a6fa3_b.jpgBlue Acro - 2016-07-31 by TeenyReef, on Flickr

So I moved it over just to see if it would survive, and glued it on it's side to encourage it to start encrusting faster. I also glued it bleached side down, hoping that the other side would recover better. Here it is right after being moved:

28684261094_7624a0a841_b.jpgBlue Acro - 2016-08-07 by TeenyReef, on Flickr

After two weeks:

29272135136_ceb3266745_b.jpgBlue Acro - 2016-08-19 by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Tonight (three weeks later):

29272136486_ccd2b73dee_b.jpgBlue Acro - 2016-08-28 by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 12

Wow, when I got my rtba I was trying to get it to attach on the lower end of a rock but it kept wanting to move. Floated to the front of my tank right dab between my zoa a few days later, to the wall near my powerhead. So I moved it to try and reattach To a rock at the bottom and it floated back to the front the tank then To the back to one of the highest point of my tank. What a stress for few weeks

Took about a week and a half, now it hasn't moved an inch

• Like 1

Wow, when I got my rtba I was trying to get it to attach on the lower end of a rock but it kept wanting to move. Floated to the front of my tank right dab between my zoa a few days later, to the wall near my powerhead. So I moved it to try and reattach To a rock at the bottom and it floated back to the front the tank then To the back to one of the highest point of my tank. What a stress for few weeks

Took about a week and a half, now it hasn't moved an inch

That's really encouraging! Hopefully mine will finally settle down like yours.

Hey Teeny, do you have a picture of the tunze 9004 sitting in the back chamber of the tank?

Tanks looking great btw :D .

Thanks! I've got this one - let me know if you need a better picture or a different angle.

27557823386_41d1730588_b.jpg20160610-untitled-010.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Set that 90 up, I can hook you up with a ritteri for a decent price that won't make you feel like Ned Beatty. :D

:lol: It's a deal. Once I get it converted. Someday. B)

• Like 2

Coloring up nicely!

Thanks! Sometimes I look at all the bare rock and sand and think that I'm going too slow. But I really wanted to see some test frags do well for more than just a couple weeks before doing anything major.

Plus I need the RBTA to settle in before I put too many more corals in there. Today he walked over from the back up towards the top of the rock, which is actually a pretty good location. It's right next to the monticaps and sponges, but even if it kills them, they're not too big yet and I can easily start new frags from the other tank.

29250299761_b504d6a080_b.jpgRBTA's latest spot by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 8

The RBTA moved a little more towards the back of the tank, but he's still on the same rock, and he's been there for two days, a new record :)

28753141324_a41a26b7bc_b.jpg20160831-untitled-001-Edit.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

29376681685_e9c66a1694_b.jpgRBTA by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I temporarily moved the frag rack from the frag tank onto the sand bed here. I've recently had an uptick in algae in the frag tank, and putting the rack in here will make it easier to get things cleaned up in the frag tank. And who knows, maybe I'll glue up and/or sell and/or trade most of it away and shut down the frag tank.

Here's an updated top down shot.

29376683465_5b0e481a4f_b.jpg2016-08-31 IM40 Top Down by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 7

The picture is perfect, the water inlet is faced to the left side of your tank? Fits nicely in the back of the tank and the black collection cup lid really blends in.

Just saw a tunze 9004dc the other day, man that thing was quiet!

• Like 1

The picture is perfect, the water inlet is faced to the left side of your tank? Fits nicely in the back of the tank and the black collection cup lid really blends in.

Just saw a tunze 9004dc the other day, man that thing was quiet!

Yep, it's a tight fit but it works fine, water inlet on the left. That way the magnets can hold through the inner wall instead of the thicker side glass, for a stronger grip.

I thought about waiting for the DC version, but it was going to be another month or two. As it turns out, this one is pretty quiet too. The return pump on the IM40 is noisier than this skimmer.

• Like 1

Yep, it's a tight fit but it works fine, water inlet on the left. That way the magnets can hold through the inner wall instead of the thicker side glass, for a stronger grip.

I thought about waiting for the DC version, but it was going to be another month or two. As it turns out, this one is pretty quiet too. The return pump on the IM40 is noisier than this skimmer.

Are those magnets coated? I am debating getting a new skimmer and also return pump as all this IM stuff drives me nuts......I think there is a waterfall coming off the skimmer.

• Like 1

Are those magnets coated? I am debating getting a new skimmer and also return pump as all this IM stuff drives me nuts......I think there is a waterfall coming off the skimmer.

I can't remember if they are coated, but they are ceramic magnets so they don't rust. Just like the magnet on every pump we put in our tanks :)

I know Stella hates this skimmer but I've found it pretty useful. Is it as good as a much bigger sump mounted skimmer - no definitely not. And it's a pain to adjust the height because you have to move the magnets. But they hold the skimmer firmly in place on the dividing wall, and I have no problem getting the collection cup in and out. Now that it's broken in and I've got the height dialed in, it produces a nice stinky skimmate and fills the cup every four or five days.

• Like 3

I just received a coral goody box from Slowtwitch! :ninja:

Everything is dipped and glued. Now I'm almost out of glue. :unsure: Pictures later after the water clears. I did a water change while I was gluing the corals, and put in some DIY coral snow.

In the meantime, enjoy a cute picture of my daughter's dog Presley :wub:

29282118462_434667d59e_b.jpgdownload_20160831_202838.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 10
fishfreak0114

Everything is dipped and glued. Now I'm almost out of glue. :unsure: Pictures later after the water clears. I did a water change while I was gluing the corals, and put in some DIY coral snow.

29282118462_434667d59e_b.jpgdownload_20160831_202838.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

CUTENESS OVERLOAD!!!!!!!! :wub:

• Like 3
reeferbrownies

And heres another one of Teeny's threads I see, another few hours of reading through

That RBTA is pretty nice looking, Ive debated about getting one but my clownfish seem to like hosting in the hammer, also don't want it to walk all over everything but it seems like it likes the spot you put it in.

• Like 1

And heres another one of Teeny's threads I see, another few hours of reading through

That RBTA is pretty nice looking, Ive debated about getting one but my clownfish seem to like hosting in the hammer, also don't want it to walk all over everything but it seems like it likes the spot you put it in.

Wow, that's a lot of reading :) You can probably condense it down to: I got a tank, got the new Nanobox light, put some live rock in it, put in a few test corals, put in some fish, and that's about it :lol:

I got a hammer in the 10g but the clowns have never hosted in it even though I told them that's what I wanted them to do :P

The RBTA is still in the exact same spot today. I really hope it stays there because it's a good spot. Plus I just glued up a bunch of new corals.

Inorite? How could anyone tell that face to get down off the bed?

David Bowie!

True! Although I think technically his eyes are the same color but one was permanently dilated. B)

The tank looks great and your daughters dog is beautiful! They are amazing little handfuls!!

572BD96D-C89A-434E-8E58-B55855940C0F_zps

Speaking of cuteness overload, that is adorable :)

• Like 1

That's a good point. The sexies seem to find the RBTA really, well...sexy.

Here's a kind of wavy top down shot of the RBTA in the new spot in the back, with one of the sexy shrimp loving on it :rolleyes:

28683676644_f39e33e0e3_b.jpgRBTA with Sexy Shrimp by TeenyReef, on Flickr

That is a beauty of a BTA. I have had them do a similar thing but they liked the front panel of glass. :/ Eventually they get someplace they like. I have had them end up under rocks with nearly no light and be totally fine. I did have one RBTA do this for so long that he lost colour and I thought I would loose it. It eventually came out and recovered but now his colours are a little bit different then the other one whom it split from.

No kidding. What a good looking pup.
  • Like 1

I can't remember if they are coated, but they are ceramic magnets so they don't rust. Just like the magnet on every pump we put in our tanks :)

I know Stella hates this skimmer but I've found it pretty useful. Is it as good as a much bigger sump mounted skimmer - no definitely not. And it's a pain to adjust the height because you have to move the magnets. But they hold the skimmer firmly in place on the dividing wall, and I have no problem getting the collection cup in and out. Now that it's broken in and I've got the height dialed in, it produces a nice stinky skimmate and fills the cup every four or five days.

Dang I might have to get one.......along with a new pump the IM one is noisy as hell. How much room is there for water to get by? My Ghost skimmer blocks it off really good and water shoots out like a waterfall........its a lame set up if you ask me.

• Like 2

Enjoy the box-o-goodies. Can't wait to see what you do with them.
  • Like 1

Dang I might have to get one.......along with a new pump the IM one is noisy as hell. How much room is there for water to get by? My Ghost skimmer blocks it off really good and water shoots out like a waterfall........its a lame set up if you ask me.

It almost completely fills the chamber. But since it draws all the water from its surface skimmer, it's totally different from the Ghost. I was worried about that too, but there are a bunch of people on R2R that were doing it already. Sure enough, it works fine.

• Like 1