inTank Media Baskets

Teenyreef's IM40 Not-So-Teeny Tank - August FTS

teenyreef

Ok my last few readings. .4, .6, .8, .8

I noticed my sponges like higher than .5. But if I go above 1, I start seeing diatoms. Natural seawater is 10.

I also realized I am using a seachem kit not a salifert and I use the low range thingie - easier to see the colors!

• Like 1

Ok my last few readings. .4, .6, .8, .8

I noticed my sponges like higher than .5. But if I go above 1, I start seeing diatoms. Natural seawater is 10.

I also realized I am using a seachem kit not a salifert and I use the low range thingie - easier to see the colors!

Hmmm, interesting. The Salifert kit doesn't come with a reference.

It's hard to say what's going on. It's possible that the diatoms in one tank and the sponges in the other tank are just using up all the silicate, but I have no idea, really.

Either way, I expect that sponges will do fine in this tank, and the diatoms will go away, once the tank is more mature.

I may try doing the sponge/silica dosing just as an experiment. It would be interesting to see if I get measurable levels after dosing.

• Like 1

Hmmm, interesting. The Salifert kit doesn't come with a reference.

It's hard to say what's going on. It's possible that the diatoms in one tank and the sponges in the other tank are just using up all the silicate, but I have no idea, really.

Either way, I expect that sponges will do fine in this tank, and the diatoms will go away, once the tank is more mature.

I may try doing the sponge/silica dosing just as an experiment. It would be interesting to see if I get measurable levels after dosing.

What I started doing is adding a drop of spongexcel per gallon of top off water. I evaporate about a gallon per day so I figure that will dose one drop a day. We'll see!

• Like 1

What I started doing is adding a drop of spongexcel per gallon of top off water. I evaporate about a gallon per day so I figure that will dose one drop a day. We'll see!

That's good to know!

Here's my little effort to fix the "Teeny, why are there no pictures on this page?" problem :)

Zoas;

29328990260_3fd60bb91c_b.jpgZoas by TeenyReef, on Flickr

RBTA is doing great other than closing up every night like clockwork, and getting no clownfish love. The one you see in the corner is actually hanging in the duncans nearby.

29328991650_7ca291bddb_b.jpgRBTA by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 16

That's good to know!

Here's my little effort to fix the "Teeny, why are there no pictures on this page?" problem :)

Zoas;

29328990260_3fd60bb91c_b.jpgZoas by TeenyReef, on Flickr

RBTA is doing great other than closing up every night like clockwork, and getting no clownfish love. The one you see in the corner is actually hanging in the duncans nearby.

29328991650_7ca291bddb_b.jpgRBTA by TeenyReef, on Flickr

WOW! Beautiful, John!

• Like 1

Sure do love your pictures

Thanks, Annette! I need to go check out your long nose hawk!

The tank and pictures are amazing!

Thanks, Roger! It needs some Katropora, though, do you know anyone that has some? B)

WOW! Beautiful, John!

Thanks, Rachel :)

So I've been dosing Sponge Excel and Sponge Power for about four days or so now, steadily, and I dosed it every three or four days before that. The sponges seem to be improving, and the really interesting thing is I've had a lot less diatoms in the last two days. In fact, today was the first day I saw some algae with a hint of green in it on the glass.

Maybe it's just coincidence that my diatom cycle finally ended the same week that I started dosing for the sponges. But it seems like a weird coincidence :unsure:

Tank is looking good! I am kind of fond of zoas ;)

Lol, I didn't know that :lol:

I hadn't planned to make this a tank with a lot of zoas, but they're growing so well here that it seems to be just working out that way. I have a few frags with other varieties on the frag rack that I'm going to put in here, and now I think I may try some moving some of the zoas from the 10g tank that are really nice but just aren't growing well in there. If they do well here I can just make more frags and put the frags back in the 10g tank.

So that's my new plan for total zoa world domination :)

Tank is coming together. How is everything else doing?

Things are coming along well! The tank is still new so the SPS aren't really coloring up well yet. But I've finally gotten nitrates and phosphates in check, so I think it's just a matter of time now :)

Speaking of zoas on the frag rack, I'm getting ready to put this on in the sand. I'm in the process of slowly pulling off the purple death palys since they will take over the whole thing if I leave them on the plug. Once I'm sure I've got them all, I'll put it on the sand bed. I really like the mix of colors on this plug :)

29633710776_a83a51beec_b.jpg8 (keep) by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 13

I am glad to hear that this tank is settling in. I am sure you are right in that it is only a matter of time before its a masterpiece!

Well, it's definitely a matter of time before something happens :)

The bam bam zoa frag has been taking off lately. I'm going to move it to the sand bed this weekend.

29694374786_e6f7401480_b.jpgBam Bam Zoas by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I tried to take a picture of the RBTA the other night after I fed it. It didn't turn out very well, but I just like the colors that came out in this shot :)

29694374036_ce2da154e3_b.jpgIM40 RBTA by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 9

Curious- what were your Nitrates at? What did you bring them down to?

I've been playing with Nitrate levels a bit. Trying to find the sweet spot. With a clam I am keeping them present but low. ~5ppm

• Like 1

Thanks, Annette! I need to go check out your long nose hawk!Thanks, Roger! It needs some Katropora, though, do you know anyone that has some? B)Thanks, Rachel :) So I've been dosing Sponge Excel and Sponge Power for about four days or so now, steadily, and I dosed it every three or four days before that. The sponges seem to be improving, and the really interesting thing is I've had a lot less diatoms in the last two days. In fact, today was the first day I saw some algae with a hint of green in it on the glass. Maybe it's just coincidence that my diatom cycle finally ended the same week that I started dosing for the sponges. But it seems like a weird coincidence :unsure:Lol, I didn't know that :lol: I hadn't planned to make this a tank with a lot of zoas, but they're growing so well here that it seems to be just working out that way. I have a few frags with other varieties on the frag rack that I'm going to put in here, and now I think I may try some moving some of the zoas from the 10g tank that are really nice but just aren't growing well in there. If they do well here I can just make more frags and put the frags back in the 10g tank. So that's my new plan for total zoa world domination :)Things are coming along well! The tank is still new so the SPS aren't really coloring up well yet. But I've finally gotten nitrates and phosphates in check, so I think it's just a matter of time now :)Speaking of zoas on the frag rack, I'm getting ready to put this on in the sand. I'm in the process of slowly pulling off the purple death palys since they will take over the whole thing if I leave them on the plug. Once I'm sure I've got them all, I'll put it on the sand bed. I really like the mix of colors on this plug :)29633710776_a83a51beec_b.jpg8 (keep) by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I am a full on doubter on additives and what they do. I use Red Sea aminos (a & B), and have used other things like Coral excel. The aponge power and spongexcel are the only things that seem to have too many coincidences with sponge improvement that I actually do think those work.

Although just a warning - I did overdose the Brightwell spongexcel once and had a full-blown outburst of diatoms :lol: I miscounted the number of drops. Didn't harm anything but stuff sure looked ugly for a couple days!

• Like 1

Curious- what were your Nitrates at? What did you bring them down to?

I've been playing with Nitrate levels a bit. Trying to find the sweet spot. With a clam I am keeping them present but low. ~5ppm

Although I was hoping to avoid it I'm dosing NoPox. I'm still fine tuning the dosing level, and Nitrates are very low at .5. The zoas and softies are doing well though, so I think the daily feeding of frozen and coral food every three or four days seems to be working.

I am a full on doubter on additives and what they do. I use Red Sea aminos (a & B), and have used other things like Coral excel. The aponge power and spongexcel are the only things that seem to have too many coincidences with sponge improvement that I actually do think those work.

Although just a warning - I did overdose the Brightwell spongexcel once and had a full-blown outburst of diatoms :lol: I miscounted the number of drops. Didn't harm anything but stuff sure looked ugly for a couple days!

Yeah, I'd like to avoid additives as much as possible. I think sometimes they become a substitute for just waiting until a tank gets mature. And anything that has to be done every day is something likely to be left undone over time.
  • Like 1

Although I was hoping to avoid it I'm dosing NoPox. I'm still fine tuning the dosing level, and Nitrates are very low at .5. The zoas and softies are doing well though, so I think the daily feeding of frozen and coral food every three or four days seems to be working.

Yeah, I'd like to avoid additives as much as possible. I think sometimes they become a substitute for just waiting until a tank gets mature. And anything that has to be done every day is something likely to be left undone over time.

Totally agree! Not sure how I got the sunglasses guy in the post! It was supposed to read B

So I've spotted the pistol shrimp twice now! Just a corner of his claw as he laboriously brings one grain of sand at a time to the end of his tunnel in the rocks :)

Also, the RBTA has stayed inflated all night for the last three or four nights!

Until tonight. It closed up early tonight, but I think that has more to do with me doing stuff in the tank and pissing it off.

However, the clowns still ignore it. Ironically, I moved the clowns out of the IM10 mostly because they kept snuggling the zoas to death, and I wanted them to have something better to host. So what do they do? I caught them snuggling the zoas in the IM40 last night :rolleyes:

• Like 5

So I've spotted the pistol shrimp twice now! Just a corner of his claw as he laboriously brings one grain of sand at a time to the end of his tunnel in the rocks :)

Also, the RBTA has stayed inflated all night for the last three or four nights!

Until tonight. It closed up early tonight, but I think that has more to do with me doing stuff in the tank and pissing it off.

However, the clowns still ignore it. Ironically, I moved the clowns out of the IM10 mostly because they kept snuggling the zoas to death, and I wanted them to have something better to host. So what do they do? I caught them snuggling the zoas in the IM40 last night :rolleyes:

:lol:

• Like 1

That sounds like perfect clown behavior! What else would they do haha

Exactly. I'm about to start trying desperate measures, like taping a pictures of some clowns in an RBTA to the side of the tank :)

• Like 3

Exactly. I'm about to start trying desperate measures, like taping a pictures of some clowns in an RBTA to the side of the tank :)

I should send you a video of my Clarkii in her nems for them. She has staked out three of them now. Took her about 30 seconds after I added her to the tank to find and claim them all. Now she defends them against all other fish in the tank. Including the triggers and lion that are about three times her size.

• Like 1

I've read that works :lol:.

I should send you a video of my Clarkii in her nems for them. She has staked out three of them now. Took her about 30 seconds after I added her to the tank to find and claim them all. Now she defends them against all other fish in the tank. Including the triggers and lion that are about three times her size.

I'm going to have to do something, because I love how well the zoas are doing in this tank and if the clowns persecute the zoas they're going to be in big trouble :)

• Like 2