Top Shelf Aquatics

Teenyreef's IM40 Not-So-Teeny Tank - August FTS

teenyreef

I call dibs on those yellow zoas.

I hope they grow fast because I suspect they will be in demand :D

Oh I hope you find Sheldon!!!

Still no sign of him. I feel guilty because I'm mostly thinking about what kind of fish to get next :unsure:

I removed some bubble algae during the water change last night. I've been watching them develop and removing them as I spot them for the last couple months, but I think they're starting to multiply. I picked up an emerald crab earlier this week and put him in the tank, but I haven't seen him since. Hopefully he's just hiding...

• Like 1

Ive had multiple emeralds just walk by my bubble algae in the past... i hope yours actually eats it!

I may have to hire Stella's special emerald mithrax crab bubble algae hit squad B)

• Like 4

I may have to hire Stella's special emerald mithrax crab bubble algae hit squad B)

I think it's the red mithrax that are known for wiping that stuff out. Only problem is they can then wipe out things you don't want them to wipe out LOL.

Sorry about Sheldon! So what are you thinking of replacing him with?

• Like 1

I think it's the red mithrax that are known for wiping that stuff out. Only problem is they can then wipe out things you don't want them to wipe out LOL.

Sorry about Sheldon! So what are you thinking of replacing him with?

Yeah, I figure it's a long shot, but right now they haven't really been a problem. I just pick out maybe one or two a month.

I spotted the emerald last night and again tonight - he's taken up residence under the pink acro colony, and seems to be behaving. So far.

As far as a Sheldon replacement goes, I really have no idea yet. In terms of tank balance, I probably should replace him with some other kind of picker/hunter fish since the angel, clowns, and goby tend to just go after whatever's floating in the water instead of carefully picking things out of the rock. Although the angel sometimes goes after little bits of algae in the rocks or powerheads.

Unless I get a really strong desire for one particular fish, I think I'm just going to wait a while and let the tank mature and stabilize.

• Like 4

I need to catch up on a few other status updates - quite some time ago, when I was convinced that the pistol shrimp I'd bought with the YWG was dead, I bought a second pistol. He burrowed right in and I never saw any sign of him after that. Then the original shrimp reappeared and all was right with the world.

Well, pistol #2 is clearly alive! He's living under the rock that the RBTA is on. I can tell because he's dug out a big hole in between the rock and the duncans, and piled all the sand up behind the rocks. His burrow was so deep, one of the zoa frags fell down into the hole and turned upside down. :huh:

Also, I was starting to get concerned about the acros, because although they have mostly been keeping their color, there's been little to no PE. Yesterday it occurred to me that since I started dosing Acropower using the doser, instead of doing the manual dosing of Reef Energy, I had never paid any attention to whether I was dosing enough. I know I wasn't doing too much, because too much Acropower results in instant algae on the glass.

So last night, I doubled the dosage from one ml every other day to one ml every day, and manually dosed an extra one ml to get things started. I also dosed some sponge power and sponge excel. Tonight, just like magic, there are lots of happy little polyps waving around! :happydance:

Of course I don't know which thing I dosed made the difference. :unsure: I dosed one more round of the sponge stuff tonight, then I'm going to just do Acropower for the next few days to see what happens.

• Like 4

Oops, we need pictures on this page!

I really love the way this tank looks under the blue lights in the evening, and I've been working hard on figuring out how to get decent pictures that look like reality. I keep failing though :(

Here's an FTS where at least you can see a few corals glowing a little bit. They are way brighter in real life.

30332331611_67087897b3_b.jpg2016-10-17 IM40 FTS by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I've already posted a couple pictures of the new RG inferno mushroom, but out of all the blue light pictures I took, this one somehow turned out nice :)

30121575000_fa1618e5d9_b.jpgRG Crosette Inferno Mushroom by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 9

I took this picture of the pink panther last night. No PE, and the skin was looking kind of thin, but the color was still fine.

Today when I got home it had RTN'd completely :(

I knew better than to get this one before the tank was completely mature, but got tempted anyway. Lesson learned. Poop. :tears:

30438309975_25e5554da1_b.jpg20161018-untitled-001.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 1

Sticks :unsure: I love them but don't like how fast they go from great to dead............

I am going to try and go light on the sticks ;) I ended up just picking up a Neptune DOS setup so no reactor for now.

Tank is looking good!

• Like 2

Sticks :unsure: I love them but don't like how fast they go from great to dead............

I am going to try and go light on the sticks ;) I ended up just picking up a Neptune DOS setup so no reactor for now.

Tank is looking good!

Thanks! Good luck with that plan, especially the next time ASD has a killer sale on pretty sticks :lol:

No more designer sticks for me, unless I can get them cheap from local reefers in trade. The no-name sticks from ASD are almost as pretty, way cheaper, and way bigger.

Neptune DOS - fancy schmancy!

• Like 2

sorry about the sticks...they are so tempting though!

Thanks - at least the rest are doing OK. PE is still not great but nothing looks like it wants to die. At least not yet! :)

I took some hitchhiker pictures a while back and then forgot to post them!

There are a couple of these spongy thingies growing right near the top of the rocks under full light. They're not super pretty but if they filter the water I'm happy with them.

29893281131_6ec99facf3_b.jpgSponge Thingy Zoom by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I'm not sure what this guy is, maybe a limpet?

30122580550_cd0193928c_b.jpg20161002-untitled-017-Edit.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I have a lot of this stuff growing on the rocks. It's really interesting, like a plating coralline.

29893283401_9d461efffc_b.jpgPlating Coralline by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Finally, there is a really cool little orange sponge growing under the rock near the anemone. For a while the sexy shrimp were hanging around near it.

30122578700_30ff12b637_b.jpg20161002-untitled-014-Edit.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Here's a closer view:

30122579960_cc24fd9456_b.jpg20161002-untitled-007-Edit.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 9

Thanks! Good luck with that plan, especially the next time ASD has a killer sale on pretty sticks :lol:

No more designer sticks for me, unless I can get them cheap from local reefers in trade. The no-name sticks from ASD are almost as pretty, way cheaper, and way bigger.

Neptune DOS - fancy schmancy!

Oh I have a local wanting to trade high end sticks for some stand work.......I told him get some zoas and we can talk :lol:

As for the Neptune well I have the Apex so why not.......and as for fancy well the local store I am doing work for owes me so it just comes off the tab......makes it tough walking into the store :lol: oh I will take one of those and that one ooohhhh whats that coral........

That last one looks like a salt water bee hive.......

• Like 2

Oh I have a local wanting to trade high end sticks for some stand work.......I told him get some zoas and we can talk :lol:

As for the Neptune well I have the Apex so why not.......and as for fancy well the local store I am doing work for owes me so it just comes off the tab......makes it tough walking into the store :lol: oh I will take one of those and that one ooohhhh whats that coral........

That last one looks like a salt water bee hive.......

Nice deal! That's the only way I'd get a DOS, I'm way to cheap to pay what it costs :blink:

Bee hive is a great description! No bees, though!

This tank is looking really nice :)

Thanks! It's coming along slowly but surely :)

that sponge is fascinating!

that sponge is fascinating!

So neat! I love the orange sponge :wub:

It's a really great orange color. Just like, well, um, an orange :lol:

WOW that plating coralline (if thats actually a thing) looks awesome!!!

I think it's really cool. The only problem is that, like coralline, it covers so much of the rock that I have to be careful when I glue new corals onto the rock that they don't fall off because they're only glued on to the coralline.

• Like 5

Well you have to spend the dough somewhere :lol:

Yeah, like on expensive, dead, designer sticks :lol:

Here are a few more update pictures. The blueberry shortcake is doing OK. It doesn't have much PE right now, and it's lost the green skin color on the base, but I'm still cautiously optimistic. And come to think of it, I took this picture under blue lights so I have no idea whether the skin is green or not :rolleyes:

29807191373_0e53724578_b.jpgBlueberry Shortcake Acro by TeenyReef, on Flickr

30402670856_8fb4c41a7d_b.jpgBlueberry Shortcake Acro by TeenyReef, on Flickr

The staletta monti, on the other hand, is doing great. :D

30141898770_0b5778ec39_b.jpgTubbs Staletta Montipora by TeenyReef, on Flickr

And so is the blue digi. Super good PE, and the polyps are very clearly blue now :)

30402671966_da0de45be3_b.jpgBlue Digitata by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 7

This tank is sponge worthy! Love that orange sponge- it's so symmetrical, cubed out. And that other brown jelly looking mass is ugly but still interesting and good like you said because it' filtering.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Dont feel bad,i just lost 3 sticks yesterday for no reason. While my other 3 are fine. Although i NEVER spend more than $10-$15 for a piece it always sucks nonetheless.

All the aweosme critters popping up are awesome. I need to get some quality live rock next go around. Which might been soon lol. Where did you get yours from again ?

• Like 1