Coral Vue Hydros

Teenyreef's IM40 Not-So-Teeny Tank - August FTS

teenyreef

pappadumplingz

Tank is looking super sexy. Is that your new fungia up on the rocks? I always thought they needed to be on the sand?

Naturally they are found in rocks, weird huh.

• Like 2

Hey Teenie,

Tank is looking good. Wish my zoa's were as happy as yours! Dang!

My IM40 stock pump is dying. Are you using the stock or have you upgraded it?

• Like 1

Hey Teenie,

Look at the Eheim.

• Like 1

I love the cyclops! It's perfect. And the pups, they couldn't look more relaxed and downright happy in the hats!

Thanks, Anette!

Haha I think Molly has crippling depression

:lol:

• Like 1

Tank is looking super sexy. Is that your new fungia up on the rocks? I always thought they needed to be on the sand?

Almost everybody keeps them on the sandbed, but when I bought this one from Laura (Reefgen), she told me they've been "trained" to encrust on rocks. She also said they will grow multiple mouths.

Mine only has one mouth so far, but it definitely like being on the rocks. It's forming itself to fit right onto the rocks. You can see it happening on the left side in this picture:

30763212205_1d163e3769_b.jpgRG Project X Fungia by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 7

plz send me doggos, ill pay shipping

:lol: that's generous of you! They are great dogs :)

Preeeeeeetty

Thaaaaaaank you!

Naturally they are found in rocks, weird huh.

For me, they remind me of sand dollars, which do live in/on the sand bed.

Hey Teenie,

Thanks! Good to know that Dave likes the Eheim pumps, although I've had no problems with mine, it's strong, not too noisy, and still solid. I've never even taken it out for cleaning (I do siphon out the pump chamber every month or two).

• Like 3

Time for moar new pics!!

I haven't been able to get good pictures of the new acans I got at MACNA. I put them in the shade so they wouldn't lose their colors, but that makes them really hard to photograph. Oh well, here they are for what they're worth.

This rainbow has held it's color nicely :)

30726116916_5b5099e01d_b.jpgRainbow Acans by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I put this one too far into the light, and it turned mostly red. You can see a little hint of the rainbow colors here and there but that's all for now.

30726117826_f6ccf8fd9a_b.jpgEx Rainbow Acans by TeenyReef, on Flickr

These blue/green ones have turned a little bit brown. I'm waiting to see how they turn out in the long run.

30726119306_edc70cac59_b.jpgBlue Green Acans by TeenyReef, on Flickr

These guys are the ones my wife and daughter picked. They're aren't really rainbows, but they have a lot of color :D

30726118646_45064b7491_b.jpgMulti color acans by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 8

Those last Acan's are off the chain !!!! Looks like shading them is keeping them nice man.

Thanks - there was some nice stuff selling super cheap at MACNA, I just had to check all the vendors. But that last frag was a local vendor, and I paid $70 for it. I think it will be worth it as it gains more color and grows out :)

I love those acans. They are so colorful.

Thanks Dawn!

• Like 2

That is not bad for a piece that nice. Just feed the crap out of it and it'll spew out babies !!!

Yep! Just stuck a mysis shrimp in each head tonight :)

As far as price goes, I thought it was fair for such cool colors, and LFS corals in my area tend to be pricey. But I only paid $20 each for the other three frags :happydance:

That's so cool that the plate grows on the rocks! All your acan pics are making me fall in love with acans :wub: I need moar!!!

I think acans are such a great coral. They aren't hard to keep, they grow pretty fast, but not too fast, and they are available in so many different and beautiful color morphs. The only challenge I have with them is getting them to keep their colors, but I think that really comes down to keeping them in low light.

I mentioned that I put one of the frags in too much light and it turned red. The difference is very dramatic, and it happened in just one or two days.

Here's the frag when I first got it:

29600798413_be7b6aca86_b.jpgAcans by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Here's what it looks like now, after morphing:

30726117826_f6ccf8fd9a_b.jpgEx Rainbow Acans by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I had to check the pictures twice to make sure it was the same coral :(

• Like 4

I had a busy day today, helping a local reefer. In the last month he's lost his house in the hurricane floods, lost all his tanks (he sells corals in the area), and had a 400g tank he had just installed get a crack in the bottom. And then he got laid off this week to top it all off.

It's amazing how the local reefing community has pulled together to help him out. People helped move all his stuff out of the house, demo all the damage, and get a start on rebuilding, and temporarily rehomed all his coral until he gets going again.

Today about eight of us got together to remove the cracked 400g tank and replace it with a new one. The tank weighs about 900 pounds empty, so it was a pretty serious undertaking to get them moved. After installing the new tank we took the old tank to the dump, and finished up with beer and mexican food. Not a bad day :)

30167749694_9ba4c8c98c_b.jpgFB_IMG_1478372107144.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 11
fishfreak0114

Wow that is quite a difference in color! Do the colors go back to how they used to be if you move them into lower light? I always wondered why my acan turned pink. It used to have a more purpley blue color on it too, I can't even tell it the same coral! I like the pink though :)

That's great that so many people helped out! I can't imagine what it would be like to lose all that though :(

• Like 1

that's awesome (not all the bad stuff that happened, but everyone helping)!!!

Yeah it's been pretty nice to see how everyone has pitched in. Another local reefer started a gofundme for him that turned out to be pretty successful. Hopefully between the fundraiser and the low-interest loans from FEMA, he and his family will get through.

He had over a foot of backed up sewage above the floors in his ranch style house, after the local pump station lost power in the hurricane :o

https://www.gofundme.com/2tnz7w4?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=email&utm_content=CTA_view_campaign&utm_campaign=donation_receiptv5

• Like 1

Wow that is quite a difference in color! Do the colors go back to how they used to be if you move them into lower light? I always wondered why my acan turned pink. It used to have a more purpley blue color on it too, I can't even tell it the same coral! I like the pink though :)

That's great that so many people helped out! I can't imagine what it would be like to lose all that though :(

They can regain their color, but for me at least, it seems to take a long time - like months. It's much easier to keep them in the shade to begin with.

Here are some different, if not better, pictures of the that I took tonight:

30530691030_6e5f09075e_b.jpgAcans by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I definitely can see more color in these red guys than I had last week:

30795263276_b90394fdbe_b.jpg20161106-untitled-019-Edit.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 2

I took some pictures while the water was low during the water change tonight.

Slowtwitch's coral frags are doing great - they've completely regained their color and the PE has improved a lot since I increases the dosing level of the Acropower. I've also thrown in some Red Sea Reed Energy A&B a couple times a week.

The green slimer is almost exactly the same color as those fluorescent yellow/green highlighters :)

30199981014_0d0fc86349_b.jpgGreen Slimer by TeenyReef, on Flickr

And the blue slimer is a little bluer every day. The spot it sits in the tank is hard to photograph, almost every one I take is blurry. This shot is fairly in focus:

30199980194_4571462c0e_b.jpgBlue Slimer by TeenyReef, on Flickr

But this shot shows the blue much better:

30726116216_7605634ae1_b.jpgBlue Slimer by TeenyReef, on Flickr

The pink acro colony is, well, pink. Which I like :lol:

30199981944_e132b32884_b.jpgPink Acro Colony by TeenyReef, on Flickr

The blueberry shortcake has been declining very slowly, with a little less PE and color every week. I don't know what to do for it other than to keep doing the same things that seem to be helping the other acros, and cross my fingers.

30199982794_9532b4155f_b.jpgBlueberry Shortcake Acro by TeenyReef, on Flickr

But on the bright side, I thought I had lost my beloved green eyed dalmatian zoas when I crashed the 4g tank. But as I was getting ready to send some zoa frags off to Slowtwitch a couple months ago, I noticed a tiny polyp underneath the others that looked different. When I looked closer, I realized it was a green eyed dalmatian.

So now I owe Slowtwitch another zoa frag, because I kept this one. Now look at it :D

30530692500_70c491619d_b.jpgGreen Eyed Dalmatians by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 9

Happy to see most things continuing to improve. Hope the shortcake wakes up and starts putting on some color for you soon. I'm sure you can turn it around. I love those slimers just get back out of the way once they start growing. :D

• Like 1