inTank Media Baskets

Reefer 350

HarryPotter

HarryPotter

Love this pic! Everything is looking so good :)

Thanks! You can see the T5's :wub: in the background

That tang looks killer Harry, really nice fish!

Unfortunately it went "south" very quickly. In the photo you can zoom in to see ich spots.... It got worse and died within 2 days :(.

Was with me for a few weeks only

Unfortunately it went "south" very quickly. In the photo you can zoom in to see ich spots.... It got worse and died within 2 days :(.

Was with me for a few weeks only

that sucks. what you gonna do now with the other fish? QT and medicate or just let things be?

HarryPotter

that sucks. what you gonna do now with the other fish? QT and medicate or just let things be?

No other fish show signs of disease or ich, I am just going to leave it be. My other fish are tough; clownfish, cardinalfish, wrasses, etc that don't seem as susceptible

• Like 2

No other fish show signs of disease or ich, I am just going to leave it be. My other fish are tough; clownfish, cardinalfish, wrasses, etc that don't seem as susceptible

try a yellow tang next. they seem more hardy. at least that's what my LFS told me.

HarryPotter

try a yellow tang next. they seem more hardy. at least that's what my LFS told me.

I was talking to a tang-expert that said that a Scopa was not a good choice for my tank because they mainly stay in rock work and like to swim in caves and such. She said that my recent additions, two emerald crabs, may have even caused it to stress enough to die in that amount of time if they stayed in its "cave".

Yes, perhaps a yellow tang in the future. I want to wait to be sure the other fish continue being healthy for at least a month before considering an addition. And given my lid is kind of evil perhaps save up for an Artfully Acrylic Mesh Lid before getting another fish.

Current (fish) livestock:

2 Clownfish

1 Fairy Wrasse

1 Cardinalfish

1 Lawnmower Blenny (I found him! Was missing for like 6 months but reappeared nice and fat)

1 Mandarin Dragonette

• Like 2

2 Clownfish

1 Fairy Wrasse

1 Cardinalfish

1 Lawnmower Blenny (I found him! Was missing for like 6 months but reappeared nice and fat)

1 Mandarin Dragonette

you have room for way more fish =P. How's your mandarin doing? How are your pods getting to the DT without getting caught in the sponge separating the return and the fuge?

I was talking to a tang-expert that said that a Scopa was not a good choice for my tank because they mainly stay in rock work and like to swim in caves and such. She said that my recent additions, two emerald crabs, may have even caused it to stress enough to die in that amount of time if they stayed in its "cave".

Yes, perhaps a yellow tang in the future. I want to wait to be sure the other fish continue being healthy for at least a month before considering an addition. And given my lid is kind of evil perhaps save up for an Artfully Acrylic Mesh Lid before getting another fish.

2 Clownfish

1 Fairy Wrasse

1 Cardinalfish

1 Mandarin Dragonette

You got the emeralds just last weekend though - the tang had already come down with the second showing of ich if I'm remembering correctly

reefernanoman

How about.... A PHOTODUMP! Acros looking good I thinkIMG_5626_zpstwqpe2qg.jpgIMG_5615_zpsg0io08k0.jpgIMG_5619_zpswlgl9ork.jpgIMG_5613_zpsgcu7ucdf.jpgIMG_5624_zpsm2zpj4di.jpgIMG_5632_zpsbcq3evjw.jpgIMG_5677_zpsnironw1t.jpgIMG_5672_zps1sgekfm3.jpgIMG_5674_zpsdunnp6vu.jpgIMG_5616_zpsntu8xb71.jpgIMG_5675_zps5gjpwwoh.jpgIMG_5693_zps43ydspo5.jpgIMG_5652_zpsxnthirxy.jpgIMG_5648_zpsfsc3kupa.jpgIMG_5644_zpsmds4gc11.jpgIMG_5643_zpscqmysjnj.jpgIMG_5649_zpsauc1ozoy.jpgIMG_5642_zpsdpevs5sm.jpgIMG_5681_zps1lyfekw4.jpgIMG_5614_zpsy5ziidd1.jpg

Beauty! That monti with orange body and green polyps! Is that some kind of sunset monti?

HarryPotter

you have room for way more fish =P. How's your mandarin doing? How are your pods getting to the DT without getting caught in the sponge separating the return and the fuge?

No sponge! Took that out a while ago. Didn't see the point given I have socks

• Like 1
jedimasterben

A tang expert, huh.

• Like 3
HarryPotter

A tang expert, huh.

No PHD, but has dozens of tangs in different tanks that are years and years old. I sent it to see what she thought of the red spots.

HarryPotter

You got the emeralds just last weekend though - the tang had already come down with the second showing of ich if I'm remembering correctly

Yep, thats right. In addition to the tiny ich spots there were large red spots so I sent some photos to someone who was pretty sure it was aggression ( Koles are more protective over rocks/ caves than any other tang) that turned bacterial and caused the fast decline.

Edit:

Nevertheless it does not effect my decision to not add any fish. Was just trying to find out more possible causes as a preventative measure

Beauty! That monti with orange body and green polyps! Is that some kind of sunset monti?

Yep Sunset Montipora! Its grown really nice- you can see the original small frag in the middle

• Like 1
jedimasterben

No PHD, but has dozens of tangs in different tanks that are years and years old. I sent it to see what she thought of the red spots.

jenniferlawrenceok.gif

Should have asked them what makes a scopas tang any different than other Zebrasoma tangs, which are so genetically similar that they can even hybridize ;)

Yep, thats right. In addition to the tiny ich spots there were large red spots so I sent some photos to someone who was pretty sure it was aggression ( Koles are more protective over rocks/ caves than any other tang) that turned bacterial and caused the fast decline.

... wat.

• Like 1

I have a Kole and a yellow. The yellow puts up the most defense over hiding places, the Kole tends to settle down where he is when lights go dim. I really think it depends on the fish, the rockwork, who was in the tank first, and tankmates.

Only get smaller tangs who are eating at the store, aggressively eating. Stick to this rule and 9 times out of 10 you'll get a survivor.

• Like 3
HarryPotter

I have a Kole and a yellow. The yellow puts up the most defense over hiding places, the Kole tends to settle down where he is when lights go dim. I really think it depends on the fish, the rockwork, who was in the tank first, and tankmates.

Only get smaller tangs who are eating at the store, aggressively eating. Stick to this rule and 9 times out of 10 you'll get a survivor.

In a while I'll consider it

Harry, you're growing really quickly with your photography. That Kole shot!!!!! Good GOD!!!!! And love that frag hill, pretty pieces.

• Like 1
HarryPotter

Harry, you're growing really quickly with your photography. That Kole shot!!!!! Good GOD!!!!! And love that frag hill, pretty pieces.

Thank you! It's a magnetic frag rack :)

awesome pics dude! Sorry to ask because I am sure its here somewhere but I am lazy :P what settings do you use for your camera?

Naa nobody asked that before.

I don't do "settings" ?

I just turn the dial to "no flash" and take some photos! Manual focus usually.

• Like 1

Thank you! It's a magnetic frag rack :)

Naa nobody asked that before.

I don't do "settings" ?

I just turn the dial to "no flash" and take some photos! Manual focus usually.

Got it. Well they look good anyway!

• Like 1
HarryPotter

Tank looks like it is maturing very well Harry! Your Fish are fantastic! How is your fuge/sump doing?

Thank you! The Refugium is doing pretty well I think

im really not sure how fast algae is supposed to grow down there! Lit opposite to light cycle

Thank you! The Refugium is doing pretty well I think

im really not sure how fast algae is supposed to grow down there! Lit opposite to light cycle

Im not knowledgeable with refugiums but why is the light cycle opposite?

Im not knowledgeable with refugiums but why is the light cycle opposite?

It helps keep PH more stable - supposedly :lol: Not sure if it does do anything, but that's what I've heard.

• Like 2
  • HarryPotter changed the title to Reefer 350