Bowen's IM Fusion 10 - Pt. 2

Bowen1022

Here is a quick comparison of the green monti

Before:

Poor photo but can still see what I was talking about

IMG_1440_zpshxnexfkm.jpg

Now:

IMG_1442_zpsfpbd8ivk.jpg

That's great news! Sounds like they're liking the increased intensity in the blues :)

Sometimes going away and not touching the tank for a few days can really help.

• Like 1

I was pretty excited when I came back and saw the green peaking through. I've made a deal with myself to not put my hands in there unless something falls so we will see how long that lasts :)

Did some water testing

Ca: 410

Alk: 8.4

Nitrate: 5ppm

Nitrate is a little high. Im thinking about raising my alkalinity to about 9.5dKH as I have read that high nutrients needs a little higher alkalinity. Does anyone have any input?

I just found my TSB dead on the sand bed. I dont really know what was up. Pretty bummed right now

I just found my TSB dead on the sand bed. I dont really know what was up. Pretty bummed right now

Well that sucks. I'm sorry about Benjamin. :tears:

Well that sucks. I'm sorry about Benjamin. :tears:

Thanks Teeny.

I believe he was sick. When I took him out he had a white spot on his belly and he periodically scratched himself on the rocks. I didn't think anything of it because if I a dog has an itch, it scratches it and carries on but after reading I have realized it could have been a parasite or something. My fault for being ignorant but now I know!

Thanks Teeny.

I believe he was sick. When I took him out he had a white spot on his belly and he periodically scratched himself on the rocks. I didn't think anything of it because if I a dog has an itch, it scratches it and carries on but after reading I have realized it could have been a parasite or something. My fault for being ignorant but now I know!

and knowing is half hte battle G.I JOE!

Just a quick update. Water change today as well as cleaning pumps. Got an RODI system finally so that will be nice. Here is a dirty FTS before all the cleaning.

d79e5fb4-bb09-4322-a7ab-74690bef5bfc_zps

• Like 1

Ended up getting some corals from the ASD live sale. My first live sale so that was a fun experience.

My list:

-Super Vivid Zoa

-Raspberry Mille

-Hulk Tenuis

-Special Collection Lord

-Alys Blue Tenuis

-Dixie Ring Lords

-Combo Maul Zoas

• Like 1

Oh man I am so jealous! Can't wait to see them!

Hopefully I can keep them all alive :) Also it'll be nice to get some new color in the tank

• Like 1

Just a small update

-Made some new dosing containers from VOSS water bottles. They are pretty nice! (and free)

-Made some adjustments to my dosing pump as the tubes would run dry after a few weeks even though there was plenty of solution in the dosing containers

-Diluted my BRS 2 Part. I heard it is easier to make precise if it is 50/50

-ASD Coral Order

-For some reason my Juggernaut Zoas haven't been fully open (if open at all) since I changed my scape. I moved them to a different spot as well as backed off my lighting

Here is my lighting schedule (More of a reference for me but if anyone has any suggestions please do share!!)

2 Hr Ramp Up

10:00am-5:00pm

UV: 50%

V: 85%

DB: 85%

B: 85%

R: 15%

G: 15%

W: 15%

2 Hr Ramp Down

5% Violet, DB, Blue till 12:00am

Will probably post some photos up tonight

• Like 1

My ASD order came today! Customer service was great, packaging was great, corals look amazing, I'd say the day is going well! I was hoping for a freebie as it was my first order ever and they sent me 3! Anyways here are some quick photos. I will take some more tonight when they settle in and when I'm off work!

Unboxing

IMG_2141_zpspwiwb9zo.jpg

No room on the sandbed anymore

IMG_2149_zpsaqkwybsk.jpg

• Like 1

Looks good! How are the new frags doing?

They are doing well! I haven't had any casualties yet

Be carefull with those asd sales.

I have found myself with more corals than I need. ;)

Lol I know what you mean! There is another one happening today and I have to refrain.

Unfortunately I believe I have some sort of nuisance algae (possible dino :( ) At first I thought it was just a diatom bloom because I dosed acro power and I have read that it can cause diatom blooms. So I stirred up the sand bed right when I saw it and then suctioned a bit out during a WC. It came back. Then I siphoned it again and changed a bit more water and it is back again. It has tiny bubbles on it but not stringy like what you would see in a normal dino outbreak. What is the best step to take towards this and to prevent it?

Here is a photo of what I am talking about... :unsure:

IMG_2189_zpsjym9xf1q.jpg

IMG_2191_zpsd5wpdzuz.jpg

looks a lot like diatoms with air bubbles trapped though

• Like 1

Hmmm looks sort of like dinos.

I haven't had the pleasure of dealing with them (yet).

But I would think things like water changes, lowered light, and reducing phosphates would likely help eradicate them.

Tested my nitrates with an API kit. I know they arent that accurate but it did tell me that my Nitrates are very high around 20ppm +. I have no clue how they got that high as I dont have a lot of fish nor do I feed too much (I dont think). I am going to do a larger WC tonight and then only feed about 5 pellets to my fish every day. Hoping to get them down soon so I don't end up battling algae for ever.

Also I have been thinking about removing my sand bed in efforts to reduce nutrient build up. Any thoughts on this?

• Like 1

Tested my nitrates with an API kit. I know they arent that accurate but it did tell me that my Nitrates are very high around 20ppm +. I have no clue how they got that high as I dont have a lot of fish nor do I feed too much (I dont think). I am going to do a larger WC tonight and then only feed about 5 pellets to my fish every day. Hoping to get them down soon so I don't end up battling algae for ever.

Also I have been thinking about removing my sand bed in efforts to reduce nutrient build up. Any thoughts on this?

API is perfectly good for nitrates, since the main thing that really matters is whether they're over 5, which it will measure pretty accurately.

I'd be careful about removing the sand bed as that will release a lot of nutrients at once. Do it in stages if you do it. Do you stir up the sand bed? I use a turkey baster with short, repeated blasts close to the surface to kind of blow some water under the sand bed to release all the crap under the surface. I do about 25 or 30 percent of the bed at a time. I'd definitely do that especially where you've got the dinos growing.

Also, remove as much as you can mechanically by sucking it off or blowing it off.

Do they go away at night? If they do, they're probably dinos.

• Like 1

^Teeny knows what's up.

Remember most sand bed are for aesthetics only.

However they can be useful for housing beneficial bacteria. But if you were to try and pull it all out at once, you'd be introducing all of that bacteria/algae to your water column at once. I can't imagine that helping your situation.

This is exactly why I purchased a pistol shrimp. They are great at turning your sand bed and not allowing nutrients to build up.

You've done a great job with this tank this far, I imagine you'll have this under control in no time.

• Like 2

How do you like your Firefish? Is it out in the open most of the time? I'm weighing my fish options for my IM 10, and I really want something that will be out and about.

API is perfectly good for nitrates, since the main thing that really matters is whether they're over 5, which it will measure pretty accurately.

I'd be careful about removing the sand bed as that will release a lot of nutrients at once. Do it in stages if you do it. Do you stir up the sand bed? I use a turkey baster with short, repeated blasts close to the surface to kind of blow some water under the sand bed to release all the crap under the surface. I do about 25 or 30 percent of the bed at a time. I'd definitely do that especially where you've got the dinos growing.

Also, remove as much as you can mechanically by sucking it off or blowing it off.

Do they go away at night? If they do, they're probably dinos.

I do stir up the sand bed but not as often as I should. I was thinking about doing a little every time I feed my fish.

Unfortunately they did go away last night... I looked in my tank and was happy to see nothing but I must have been fooled. So far nothing but the lights have only been on for an hour. I've been sucking as much of it up every day. From what I've read a black out and larger water changes are the only thing that 'might' work.

I've also started dosing NoPox just to keep the nutrients down (only 0.5ml/day)

^Teeny knows what's up.

Remember most sand bed are for aesthetics only.

However they can be useful for housing beneficial bacteria. But if you were to try and pull it all out at once, you'd be introducing all of that bacteria/algae to your water column at once. I can't imagine that helping your situation.

This is exactly why I purchased a pistol shrimp. They are great at turning your sand bed and not allowing nutrients to build up.

You've done a great job with this tank this far, I imagine you'll have this under control in no time.

The beneficial bacteria is the reason I wanted to keep it. I knew I should have ordered some more of a clean up crew so I could have more sand stirrers.

Thanks for the motivation!

How do you like your Firefish? Is it out in the open most of the time? I'm weighing my fish options for my IM 10, and I really want something that will be out and about.

I like my Firefish but he is afraid of everything. If I go near the tank he will swim and hide in his 'room' as I like to call it. He does come back out shortly even if I am still at the tank though. He also does swim around when nothing scares him off

What are your nitrates and phosphates like? In my IM10 I dose 1.2 ml of NoPox daily.

In a lot of tanks they go away on their own after some time, so don't lose hope.