ReefCleaners.org

Bowen's IM Fusion 10 - Pt. 2

Bowen1022

Slowly transferring corals over. A few zoas and then a piece of red monticap. Probably going to transfer the bulk of my stuff this week then fish next weekend.

Start of Zoa island. 

IMG_0023.JPG

• Like 1
1 hour ago, teenyreef said:

The setup looks nice and clean! It's coming along great. 

Thanks teeny!

What clean up crew did you order for your 10g? Looking to place an order with ReefCleaners

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Bowen1022 said:

Thanks teeny!

What clean up crew did you order for your 10g? Looking to place an order with ReefCleaners

I got the standard crew, so nerites, nassarius, and ceriths (both sizes). I also recently picked up some turbos and astreas at the lfs. They are bigger so they clear more algae off, but they don't get into the little nooks and crannies as well.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, spectra said:

You need a bigger tank :lol: downsizing..................:rolleyes: :P

My apartment is too small for anything lol. Once I finally graduate I will get something nice... hopefully haha

1 hour ago, teenyreef said:

I got the standard crew, so nerites, nassarius, and ceriths (both sizes). I also recently picked up some turbos and astreas at the lfs. They are bigger so they clear more algae off, but they don't get into the little nooks and crannies as well.

Sweet thanks! Another question, what percentage do you run your MP10 on?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bowen1022 said:

My apartment is too small for anything lol. Once I finally graduate I will get something nice... hopefully haha

Sweet thanks! Another question, what percentage do you run your MP10 on?

I think I've got it maxed out at about 50%. It always depend on how many rocks and corals are in there to slow down the flow.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Quick FTS with some new corals

IMG_0113.JPG

Tested nitrates last night and they were sky high around 50ppm! Doing a water change after I get out of class and will assess from there. 

• Like 2

Just a quick update

Water Test today:

Calcium: 430ppm

Alkalinity: 7.3dKH

Nitrate: 5ppm

Phosphate: 0.015ppm

Pretty satisfied with these results, Alk could come up a bit but everything is happy so Im not going to complain.

Water change day tomorrow should raise it up to around 7.7 which should be perfect

Thinking about starting a refugium in the inTank basket but its still a debate. Any input on this idea? Thanks!

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Wow, that's a super fast drop in Nitrates! 

A 95% water change would do it.  Is it bad for it to drop so fast?  I hear stripping phosphates too quickly (e.g. via GFO) can be risky, but not sure about nitrates unless you drop it close to zero.

• Like 2

Honestly I've never managed to drop nitrates that much that fast, but it certainly isn't as dangerous as dropping phosphates too fast.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Wow, that's a super fast drop in Nitrates! 

To be honest I read the test wrong the first time :lol:

I forgot that with Salifert you divide by 10 if you look through the side... so it was 5-10ppm the whole time.

21 hours ago, J-Ranko said:

A 95% water change would do it.  Is it bad for it to drop so fast?  I hear stripping phosphates too quickly (e.g. via GFO) can be risky, but not sure about nitrates unless you drop it close to zero.

I think if it would've actually dropped that much I would have lost a ton of corals. 

I don't remember if I said this yet but I added my skimmer back just to help control nutrients. Algae is my nemesis and I really dont want those problems in this tank. I also have about 10 Marine Pure Balls in the back chambers so hopefully they will help control nutrients a bit. 

Thanks for following along guys!

Quick Photo:

IMG_0137.JPG

• Like 3
Just now, teenyreef said:

The FTS looks nice, and wow, that makes a lot more sense about the nitrates :lol:

Thanks Teeny! I know lol I felt like such a doofus once I figured it out but oh well... Im glad I didnt overreact to the high Nitrates

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Mkbarton said:

what settings do you use to take the pics? My LED just kills my pics

Im just using my iPhone. I've downloaded photoshop express (it's free) and I use the temperature setting to get a bit of the blue out. 

This is is the above photo without any temperature corrections 

IMG_0129.JPG

If if you have a real camera, I think Dave Fason (nanoboxreef) has posted up a sweet thread about taking reef photography. Or if you follow R2R, d2mini has one for sure 

• Like 1

Did a 6 liter water change today. Quick photo after the change

I'm going to try to take photos daily just to keep up

IMG_0149.JPG

• Like 1

Thought I'd write a little more about the tank. Tank is obviously an Innovative Marine Fusion 10g. Over top is an AquaIllumination Prime (non HD). In the back chambers I have an inTank basket, Ghost Protein Skimmer, Heater, and stock return along with marine pure and Aquaforest Carbon and GFO. 

Currently raising my Alk to around 8.5dKH (currently 8dKH) and lowering nitrates to around 2ppm (currently 7ppm)

Top Down and light schedule

IMG_0123.PNG

IMG_0229.JPG

• Like 3