Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Bowen's IM Fusion 10 - Pt. 2

Bowen1022

To be honest I have made having this tank a lot harder and more expensive then it should have been. The tank is great and built wonderfully. I'm not quite sure what you plan on stocking but obviously plan accordingly. The best piece of equipment I could recommend is an ATO and being in school make sure you will have enough time to tend to the tank and somewhat of a plan. I liked to set a time on sunday to do water changes and since I go to a private college they have a set 'chapel' time from 10:20 - 11:00 and I would use this time to feed, clean the glass, and do any other odds and ends. Overall the tank is pretty sweet. I wish I could have done everything correct the right way first though.

Gotcha thanks for the reply. Yeah I have a Tunze 3152 for my ATO so that should definitely help.

Just an update! Finally back to my tank, I have been trying to dial in dosing with my fiance while I have been gone. Does anyone have any tips on how to dial it in pretty easily? Ive started with 2ml and have been working my way up after testing. Maybe thats the only way Im not sure. Im trying to maintain Alk at 9 dKH as well as Ca at 430 ppm. In other news my Juggernaut Zoa sprouted a baby so that is pretty exciting but Im not getting very much PE with my Unknown as well as the sarmentsoa. Thanks for any help! :)

• Like 2

Well I went to grab a coral that fell the other day and my rock scape came down... So another rescape :/ Parameters are doing pretty well tested today, Calcium is at 430 and Alk is at 9

Here is an updated FTS (dirty water):

IMG_1407_zps2s4n5ddl.jpg

Then some random photos!

IMG_1396_zpso35vm6dl.jpg

IMG_1393_zpsjh34zehf.jpg

IMG_1389_zpsstwfh9yl.jpg

IMG_1380_zpsni9oyrhq.jpg

IMG_1431_zpsodgxxjpi.jpg

• Like 3
reefernanoman

Well I went to grab a coral that fell the other day and my rock scape came down... So another rescape :/ Parameters are doing pretty well tested today, Calcium is at 430 and Alk is at 9

Here is an updated FTS (dirty water):

IMG_1407_zps2s4n5ddl.jpg

Then some random photos!

IMG_1396_zpso35vm6dl.jpg

IMG_1393_zpsjh34zehf.jpg

IMG_1389_zpsstwfh9yl.jpg

IMG_1380_zpsni9oyrhq.jpg

IMG_1431_zpsodgxxjpi.jpg

Looks good. I've nocked down my rocks many times in the past too, mandating a rescape.

I like the new scape! Your pictures are beautiful, too :)

Thanks teeny! I like it too the only thing is I wish I could get rid of that white putty. Also I finally got a decent photo of my fire fish so that was pretty exciting!

Looks good. I've nocked down my rocks many times in the past too, mandating a rescape.

Thanks reefer! I was kinda bummed when I knocked the one over but I'm pretty happy with this outcome.
  • Like 1

Nice tank Bowen.

I really want to pick up a tail spot blenny, but have nightmares about him hiding in my MP10 while it's off and then..

• Like 2
reefernanoman

Thanks reefer! I was kinda bummed when I knocked the one over but I'm pretty happy with this outcome.

Sometimes I get smart and take a picture before I mess things up if I like the current look. :)

Anyways, the outcome looks good!

• Like 1

Don't worry you won't be able to tell the putty is there at all in a couple months!

Hoping so! I'm really debating keeping this tank up or selling it when I move over to the lagoon. I guess we will see what happens.

Nice tank Bowen.

I really want to pick up a tail spot blenny, but have nightmares about him hiding in my MP10 while it's off and then..

Thanks Kyl. I love my TSB and when I first caught him in the powerhead I almost lost my mind but then he swam out and I was relieved... I need to pick up an MP10 too

Sometimes I get smart and take a picture before I mess things up if I like the current look. :)

Anyways, the outcome looks good!

I had some photos but some of the rocks were glued together and then when I went to put them back they fell apart. Oh well though this is my favorite set up so far! :)

• Like 2

How do you like the -Jebao wp10 in the tank I have the same tank and trying to figure out which wave maker to get

Its good for the price. I would rather have the RW4 or an MP10 as I believe they both have a much smaller footprint.

• Like 1

I had some photos but some of the rocks were glued together and then when I went to put them back they fell apart. Oh well though this is my favorite set up so far! :)

Did you glue them as dry rock or was this already cycled live rock? I'm finding that I can't break apart my dry rock other than with a chisel after using the mortar style safe cements like marco / reef-saver offer. Coralline is growing on it much faster as well versus the ethyl cyanoacrylate glue I used (also dry) when I first started my original tank.

I'm thinking of adding another piece to make some more holes for new tank mates (can't resist the blenny anymore), but will probably try the Tunze epoxy since the rock is settled and has an anemone living on it. I don't want to disturb things since it finally found a spot to settle down, so it's going to be a wet scaping session.

• Like 2

I've found that as long as the rocks aren't underwater, even just a thick gel superglue will hold the rocks really well. Once I was happy with the scape in my IM10, I drained about three quarters of the water in the display tank, and glued the rocks up one at a time, from the top down. After a couple minutes the bond was strong enough that I could lift the rocks that were glued together to glue them to the next rock down.

Bear in mind, all my rocks are relatively small and light :)

But the point is that by not gluing underwater, you get a much better bond. It's even better if the rocks are dry, but there's still a huge difference between gluing wets rocks out in the air, versus gluing them underwater.

Now I can take my scape apart if I need to, because it's made up of four of five big pieces, formed out of smaller rocks glued together. They're locked together really well, and they're heavy enough that nothing can move them.

• Like 1
reefernanoman

How do you like the -Jebao wp10 in the tank I have the same tank and trying to figure out which wave maker to get

RW4 or MP10 would be the best way to go.

• Like 1

Did you glue them as dry rock or was this already cycled live rock? I'm finding that I can't break apart my dry rock other than with a chisel after using the mortar style safe cements like marco / reef-saver offer. Coralline is growing on it much faster as well versus the ethyl cyanoacrylate glue I used (also dry) when I first started my original tank.

I'm thinking of adding another piece to make some more holes for new tank mates (can't resist the blenny anymore), but will probably try the Tunze epoxy since the rock is settled and has an anemone living on it. I don't want to disturb things since it finally found a spot to settle down, so it's going to be a wet scaping session.

I've found that as long as the rocks aren't underwater, even just a thick gel superglue will hold the rocks really well. Once I was happy with the scape in my IM10, I drained about three quarters of the water in the display tank, and glued the rocks up one at a time, from the top down. After a couple minutes the bond was strong enough that I could lift the rocks that were glued together to glue them to the next rock down.

Bear in mind, all my rocks are relatively small and light :)

But the point is that by not gluing underwater, you get a much better bond. It's even better if the rocks are dry, but there's still a huge difference between gluing wets rocks out in the air, versus gluing them underwater.

Now I can take my scape apart if I need to, because it's made up of four of five big pieces, formed out of smaller rocks glued together. They're locked together really well, and they're heavy enough that nothing can move them.

When I did my first aquascape I used some epoxy when the rock was dry. When I had to rescape I tried to use the epoxy again but it just wouldn't stick. When I make my lagoon scape I will be epoxying and super gluing it together.

Random question regarding rocks. What is your favorite place to order rock from? I got some from BRS but I think it isn't the cleanest of rocks.

I've never gotten dry rock. I got cured live rock from the LFS for my first tank, which is how I got my plague of vermetid worms.

In the 10g tank, I got uncured live rock from KP Aquatics, which was awesome. But expensive. There are details in the beginning of my 10g thread about that option.

I'll probably take that route for my new 40g tank, too.

• Like 2

I love the idea of live rock from KP but it is expensive then shipping gets ya too. I love the Walt Smith Reef Rock but thats also really spendy for a college kid lol.

• Like 1

I love the idea of live rock from KP but it is expensive then shipping gets ya too. I love the Walt Smith Reef Rock but thats also really spendy for a college kid lol.

I hear ya! I got their special deal, 10lbs shipped for $100. But even that's pretty pricey for a college budget. Heck, it's pricey for my budget :)

I have a decision to make. A nanobox duo or 2 primes over my lagoon. I know there are a lot of nanobots here so this maybe a biased place to post lol. A local guy has a tank filled with lps Zoas and softies with a few nems and I absolutely love the tank so I was thinking of following his build with two primes. But I also hear wonderful things about nanobox and would love to try one of Daves fixtures out. I wanted to go SPS but instead am leaning toward acans, Zoas, Rics, RFA and maybe some easier SPS like birdsnest and monti caps

• Like 1

The primes are nice, and a lot of people have tried them and liked them. But as a nanobot I have to recommend the duo, I have no free will in the matter :lol:

From an unbiased perspective, I've never tried a Prime so I can't personally compare. But I've never heard anyone that tried both say they liked the Prime better than the the Nanobox. From what I can tell, Nanobox wins on the quality of the LEDs and drivers, which gives better color and more PAR. Plus you can choose pretty much any color or material with the Nanobox. And of course with Nanobox you get a personal relationship with a small one man business that really stands behind the product.

I honestly think you'd be happy with either option - they're both good lights that will do the job.

reefernanoman

Just an update! Finally back to my tank, I have been trying to dial in dosing with my fiance while I have been gone. Does anyone have any tips on how to dial it in pretty easily? Ive started with 2ml and have been working my way up after testing. Maybe thats the only way Im not sure. Im trying to maintain Alk at 9 dKH as well as Ca at 430 ppm. In other news my Juggernaut Zoa sprouted a baby so that is pretty exciting but Im not getting very much PE with my Unknown as well as the sarmentsoa. Thanks for any help! :)

What doser are you using? I'm thinking about getting one in the future.

The primes are nice, and a lot of people have tried them and liked them. But as a nanobot I have to recommend the duo, I have no free will in the matter :lol:

From an unbiased perspective, I've never tried a Prime so I can't personally compare. But I've never heard anyone that tried both say they liked the Prime better than the the Nanobox. From what I can tell, Nanobox wins on the quality of the LEDs and drivers, which gives better color and more PAR. Plus you can choose pretty much any color or material with the Nanobox. And of course with Nanobox you get a personal relationship with a small one man business that really stands behind the product.

I honestly think you'd be happy with either option - they're both good lights that will do the job.

Thanks for the help Teeny! I have been leaning more towards the nanobox. I have wanted one ever since I got in the hobby and I guess now is a good time to invest.

PS: be prepared for numerous questions about lighting once I finally get it lol

What doser are you using? I'm thinking about getting one in the future.

Just the Jebao DP. I believe Teeny uses that one too! My fiancé got it for me as a present but I believe it's about 90$

• Like 1

Well got back to my tank today after being in Boise, Idaho for the weekend. Dirty glass and a full skimmer cup but besides that everything went great! Also I have noticed a return in color to my SPS and spread out, happy ricordeas. I originally had a green monti cap and it turned almost completely white with a few specks of green left. I thought it was a gonner for sure but I kept it in the tank. When I returned today I have noticed a comeback. Along with the cap I have noticed my unknown acro and the tricolor have started to color back, it may be slow but it is there. Now a water change and some testing to assure parameters are in check!

I believe the coloring has been due to changing my Prime settings. Originally it was set 15K @ about 65% intensity. I thought I would try to change it up last Monday to 55% UV 80% Violet, Blue, and Deep Blue the 15% Green, Red, and White.

Thats it for now :)

• Like 1