Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Liz's Fusion 10- NEW 6/17

Elizabeth94

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, tax refund season is here. Only good thing about winter, imo.

This means the AquaMaxx HOB will be here shortly, and maybe even a dosing pump. Im thinking about the Nano Doser-1, but there is no pricing online and they aren't even in stock. I rather not buy used (yeah, I'm one of those people who ignore the deals of used equipment bc of the fear of getting something broken or half-lived).

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like it has been a while since I last posted here. This tank is still alive and nothing bad has happened to any of the corals lol..

However, I did knock a branch off the montipora again :rolleyes: I figured it was a good moment to move it down a little bit since it was getting a bit too much light. I am still trying to get it to turn into the deep blue color it was at the lfs, but it will take time.

To my amazement, I have not killed the acropora yet but it is a little brown. I need to buy that protein skimmer but have to wait for tax returns.

Ugh, so I noticed a bit of "brown algae," which appears to be cyano starting on my sand a while ago. I have determined it to be due to the increase of lighting intensity from my AI Prime since it got worse after that. Unfortunately I don't have a test kit for phosphate, but I am using chemipure blue (which says its a phosphate remover).

I do 2.5gal water changes every five days and my nitrates never go over 5ppm. I only feed once every two or three days, and not a lot. Just enough to feed the fish.

I am hoping the protein skimmer will help, but I guess for now Ill push the intensity of my lights down a few percents. These reef tanks can be annoying.. Lol!

Just an annoying phase :). I have better luck with Chemipure Elite. Or so it seems.

Thats funny.. I did just switch to chemipure blue a week or so before it started to get bad. Expensive stuff.

I feel like it has been a while since I last posted here. This tank is still alive and nothing bad has happened to any of the corals lol..

However, I did knock a branch off the montipora again :rolleyes: I figured it was a good moment to move it down a little bit since it was getting a bit too much light. I am still trying to get it to turn into the deep blue color it was at the lfs, but it will take time.

To my amazement, I have not killed the acropora yet but it is a little brown. I need to buy that protein skimmer but have to wait for tax returns.

Hope your monti gets its deep blue back! I may have the same problem with my red (forest fire) monti getting too much light…

I am like you, got bit by the sps bug! When I started my tank, I wanted it to be low maintenance, but now I may have to start reading up on dosing! Complete noob when it comes to that stuff!

I am thinking of getting rid of the montipora. It is growing, but its just not colorful enough to take up space in such a small tank. There is a trip color acro at the lfs for $50. It is about 4" wide and has three full grown branches. But I am scare I will brown it. I am dying for my taxes to come in so I can pick up an AquaMaxx skimmer..

I was almost thinking of making this a torch only tank.. I love my gold torch. I think if I could get green and other colors of torch corals or even frogs and hammers it would look sweet. And be super easy to care for.

I just don't know if that would get boring after a while.

I don't think I would ever get tired of waving torch tentacles! You could always add some other long tentacled LPS like frogspawn and hammer. A tank with all colored LPS would be cool.

Thats funny.. I did just switch to chemipure blue a week or so before it started to get bad. Expensive stuff.

Try Chemipure Elite and see if it makes a difference.

I am thinking of getting rid of the montipora. It is growing, but its just not colorful enough to take up space in such a small tank. There is a trip color acro at the lfs for $50. It is about 4" wide and has three full grown branches. But I am scare I will brown it. I am dying for my taxes to come in so I can pick up an AquaMaxx skimmer..

I was almost thinking of making this a torch only tank.. I love my gold torch. I think if I could get green and other colors of torch corals or even frogs and hammers it would look sweet. And be super easy to care for.

I just don't know if that would get boring after a while.

I actually almost bought a blue monti awhile ago, it looked awesome with blue lights on, but I asked the guy to put on the white lights, and it didn't look as hot. So yeah, I know where you're coming from. But who knows, maybe it'll get its colours back? I say get the skimmer first... there will always be more corals in the lfs! :)

Torches are nice, but will it sting your other corals? I just got a duncan (as a freebie) and it waves around like euphyllia but doesn't bother the neighbours. :)

My lfs doesn't run their tanks blue, so its all pretty much a 15K look so you know what you are getting. Ill have to take a picture of their montipora, its a really nice steal blue.

Yeah torches are mean corals. The only problem with a tank full of torches is the price. My gold torch with three heads was $120. They have a crazy looking green one at the lfs right now but I have no where to put it.

I agree with you, I am going to wait for the skimmer to come before I make any rash decisions. For all I know, the skimmer may perk everything up even more and get rid of the weird browning on the monti. However, I did read somewhere that blue is a tough color to keep, and it sometimes requires more potassium or iodine, can't remember.

I actually almost bought a blue monti awhile ago, it looked awesome with blue lights on, but I asked the guy to put on the white lights, and it didn't look as hot

Torches are nice, but will it sting your other corals? I just got a duncan (as a freebie) and it waves around like euphyllia but doesn't bother the neighbours. :)

I considered doing a euphyllia only tank. They do cost a small furtune, but I also fell in love with my acans. :)

The good thing about a lot of euphyllias are 1 small head can easily turn into 30 not so small heads! Especially with hammers, frogspawn and torches.

Thanks! I do too, but I have been meaning to trade it back to the lfs, it so big!

The thing has opened up to at least six inches. Let me tell you, a six inch wide elegance in a tank that is only 12" wide is kinda crazy. haha.. it has a really strong feeding response too. If I get rid of it I might add some more acans to make a nice collection. My other can has like three large babies around it already. I have only had it for a few months or so.

Love that elegance coral!

Thanks! I do too, but I have been meaning to trade it back to the lfs, it so big!

The thing has opened up to at least six inches. Let me tell you, a six inch wide elegance in a tank that is only 12" wide is kinda crazy. haha.. it has a really strong feeding response too. If I get rid of it I might add some more acans to make a nice collection. My other can has like three large babies around it already. I have only had it for a few months or so.

I've only tried an elegance once, and it didn't make it. I hear that about 50% of the time, they come with a bacteria that kills them in a matter of weeks. The ones that don't have that bacteria are pretty much bullet proof.

You must have bought one from Indonesia. If you buy an Aussie elegance they are pretty forgiving. I would give it another try! However, I also watched this one sit at the lfs for weeks before I purchased it.

I've only tried an elegance once, and it didn't make it. I hear that about 50% of the time, they come with a bacteria that kills them in a matter of weeks. The ones that don't have that bacteria are pretty much bullet proof.

I said I wouldn't add any more changes in terms of coral until I get the skimmer, but I ordered the skimmer and I went to the coral store on my way home from errands.. But no more sps even though I had to walk away from the most perfect birdsnest I have ever seen. I did walk away with a coral I have been doing to have: A scolly. Granted, it is not a bleeding apple, but it is neon orangey pink.

In the bag

20160212_145300-3_zpsqsyzmsbr.jpg

Kinda PO'ed. Just dropped in tank.

20160212_152027_zpsb8veeihx.jpg

Archived