Cultivated Reef

Liz's Fusion 10- NEW 6/17

Elizabeth94

Hello, thanks for stopping by here!

All of those corals have been with me for a few months so far. I haven't added anything new except the scold which is super cool. I have never had one of those in my previous tank.

For sps I have an unknown birdsnest, a german blue montipora digital (which has kinda browned, I have been breaking it by accident), and a stag horn acro. The Acro is my first ever and I am surprised it is still alive lol. It is a bit brown despite my love nitrates. I think my phosphates may be a little higher than I want but I do not have a non-expired test. I hope the skimmer will help with nutrients.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, thanks for stopping by here!

All of those corals have been with me for a few months so far. I haven't added anything new except the scold which is super cool. I have never had one of those in my previous tank.

For sps I have an unknown birdsnest, a german blue montipora digital (which has kinda browned, I have been breaking it by accident), and a stag horn acro. The Acro is my first ever and I am surprised it is still alive lol. It is a bit brown despite my love nitrates. I think my phosphates may be a little higher than I want but I do not have a non-expired test. I hope the skimmer will help with nutrients.

Sorry about the goby! I had the same experience with my green banded gobies, they'd jump through the 1/4" gap in the back of the screen.

I have a stag horn acro in my 10g tank, and once I got enough light on it, it started to color up even though I've got very high phosphate. So between the skimmer and maybe getting more used to your lighting hopefully it will get better.

How do they grow more branches? I noticed that there are two spots where polyps extend that seembto be getting longer. It almost looks like the frag is growing arms lol. Ill have to get a picture today.

It was already encrusted to the top of the frag plug. I did manage to get a picture of it but its pretty awful. I will try again tomorrow. In the meantime, I got my new surface skimmer from inTank. I was able to choose a nice water level which is much much higher than the stock water level in the fusion 10.

Well, my Acan was looking silly tonight, shape of a heart.

20160220_172310-1_zpswwuycdwv.jpg

Also unwrapped my mustang and ran it for a bit. First time firing back up since november since it has been stored for winter. We have had a few rains and the roads arent salty. It was 50 degrees out today, so warm and perfect for a ride.

20160220_133324_zpsq5hoft3a.jpg

20160220_133343_zpsm7op94h6.jpg

This picture was taken summer of last year. I love it so much. It was after I spent over 4 hours hand polishing and waxing the paint.

20141014_162823_zpsa9a78cc8.jpg

FINALLY got the micro ato thinggy people have been talking about. Super cool but the check valve I got doesn't work and leaks :/ However, with the way I have it set up it won't syphon anyway.

So, pretty sure my acro is trying to make new branches. I have no idea though since I have never has one. Not sure why the colors looks different but I am having a hard time getting a good picture of it like I did the first time around. I think it has to do with the change in my light settings.

What do you guys think? Is this how acros grow after they have encrusted?

OLD picture

20160121_163127-1_zpsjkkkblos.jpg

Today

20160226_124410-1_zps0wngirpw.jpg20160226_124615-1_zpszaj2ebnm.jpg

I noticed your ai prime is mounted with the screw inside the chamber. I have mine outside to save space :)

How's the skimmer going? I have the tank about 3 feet from my bed so noise is a big issue for me. Seriously thinking about cutting the inner baffle from the silicone so I can fit a tunze 9001 and a reactor or go your route.

I need the bulk of the mount pointed inside so that my skimmer can fit behind the tank. However, the screw you see in that picture is actually a screw from the skimmer to hold it onto the tank.

I love the AquaMaxx very much. Not the most quiet skimmer, but I run it when I sleep at night as well and my tank is six feet away from my bed. Actually, after a few days I have found that I sleep better with it running in the background. This thing has been puling some nasty gunk from this little ten gallon. It honestly is a beast of a skimmer. :)

EDIT: I also have a Tunze 9002, but it was a bit too big for the second chamber. My tunze was just as loud though as my AquaMaxx when I had it running on my old tank.

I noticed your ai prime is mounted with the screw inside the chamber. I have mine outside to save space :)

How's the skimmer going? I have the tank about 3 feet from my bed so noise is a big issue for me. Seriously thinking about cutting the inner baffle from the silicone so I can fit a tunze 9001 and a reactor or go your route.

Thanks teeny. I don't know much about sps. In fact, you commented two minuets after I created a thread asking about the growth pattern.

Elizabeth94

Picked up an orchid dotty back today. I can't believe how awesome my lfs is.. I brought the elegance coral in because it was getting too big for my tank. I didn't ask for a credit because I was not interested in money, I just wanted the coral to be given to a good home. Well, when I purchased a ton of water today and the dotty back they told me they sold the elegance coral I brought in and I had a $45 store credit with them.

I can't believe they gave me so much credit. I might have to start trading in some gold torch heads :P

Elizabeth94

I am really impressed by this acro, I love it so much. I swear this thing is getting better and better with the addition of the skimmer. Sorry they are crappy pictures.. My phone isn't too great for this.

20160228_113905-1_zps76iqusoi.jpg

GUNK! Keep in mind the neck is supposed to be clear plastic. I still need to figure out where I want it to sit to get more dry skim mate.

20160302_133020_zpshif3tdww.jpg

20160302_133032_zpszibvs1re.jpg

Cencalfishguy56

I am really impressed by this acro, I love it so much. I swear this thing is getting better and better with the addition of the skimmer. Sorry they are crappy pictures.. My phone isn't too great for this.

20160228_113905-1_zps76iqusoi.jpg

GUNK! Keep in mind the neck is supposed to be clear plastic. I still need to figure out where I want it to sit to get more dry skim mate.

20160302_133020_zpshif3tdww.jpg

20160302_133032_zpszibvs1re.jpg

awesome!
Elizabeth94

ANY tips? My acro has great color, but my German Blue Monti Digitata is pretty brown and the polyps have a sheen of purple. The mother colony at the store is super blue. It is at the top of the tank close to the acro, so I do not understand.

Do you guys think potassium iodide would help? My nitrates are always about 2ppm, and I skim the tank heavily. It is just this particular sps since my birdsnest and acro both have nice coloring. The digitata is growing very very fast, but colors suck.

Looking into this product.

Korallen-Zucht-Potassium-Iodide-Flouride

Elizabeth94

Thanks Vlangel, although I think you are being too nice ;) Video is absolutely awful.

The dotty back is doing very well. He/she is behaving nicely and leave the cardinal alone. However, it did dig a nice sand hole and managed to cover baby mushrooms and my acans with sand. I hope he finishes it soon because its so annoying.

Another reason why I stayed away from pistol shrimps

Hi there Liz, I just went over your entire thread and I have to say, I love your tank!! :lol::lol: But I do have a question, and its about the Aquamaxx protein skimmer. You see, I have a similar set up at home (IM 10g, AI prime), and I am also considering purchasing this protein skimmer. First of all, how loud is the skimmer? I know for a fact that you've used it for a while and I am guessing it should be broken in. Also, I am a bit concern about fitting this skimmer in the back. If possible, do you think you can include a photo or two of the back chambers of your tank :rolleyes::rolleyes: ? Thanks, and once again, real nice tank you got there B)B)

Thanks for posting the video, it looked great! How high do you have your MP10 set? I don't have anything as big and flowy as your corals so I can't really tell.

Elizabeth94

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't have any notifications, thanks so much for the kind words. Its still young and I am a slow poke with adding corals. I will get some pictures of my back chambers with my skimmer. It broke in after four days of running. In the beginning the skimmer is pretty noises, and took a good week or two until it quieted down. It doesn't sound bad at all and I can sleep with it running. (In fact, I believe it helps me sleep).

Let me go take some pictures for you.

Hi there Liz, I just went over your entire thread and I have to say, I love your tank!! :lol::lol: But I do have a question, and its about the Aquamaxx protein skimmer. You see, I have a similar set up at home (IM 10g, AI prime), and I am also considering purchasing this protein skimmer. First of all, how loud is the skimmer? I know for a fact that you've used it for a while and I am guessing it should be broken in. Also, I am a bit concern about fitting this skimmer in the back. If possible, do you think you can include a photo or two of the back chambers of your tank :rolleyes::rolleyes: ? Thanks, and once again, real nice tank you got there B)B)

I will measure this for you, or better yet I will take a picture right now :) EDIT: unless you mean what setting it is on. Sorry, thought you meant the placement on my glass. If you are asking what setting, it is on the wave (blue/pulse) mode. Second to lowest LED for power output, but at a medium/high pulse time. Not sure how else I can explain it :/

Thanks for posting the video, it looked great! How high do you have your MP10 set? I don't have anything as big and flowy as your corals so I can't really tell.

Elizabeth94

Here are some of the skimmer.

As you can see I have my AI Prime bracket on the tank in the opposite direction (big side pointing into the second chamber) so that the skimmer can fit behind the tank. However, the skimmer cup is really tall, and you would need to put the light stand at an angle. Good thing the AI Prime fixture is on a swivel. So the bracket is diagonal, but the light itself is parallel with the water line. Not a big deal for me, but I guess some people might think it looks bad. I am more for functionality.

20160314_124443_zpsci8zk1tm.jpg

Here are my rear chambers. My heater and temperature probe are in the second chamber as well. The skimmer output is actually pretty strong, so it keeps my back chambers really clean. I put some filter floss near the output so that it is quiet. Works like a charm.

20160314_124538_zpspkavhu1q.jpg

Elizabeth94

New green birdsnest.

20160314_114615-1_zpsz9xmp3dg.jpg

TERRIBLE picture of the acro, but it really is in an awful spot for close ups with a phone. Just realized when comparing this to some of the photos I took two weeks ago that it is starting to branch in a another spot. Probably one od my fastest growing corals I have currently.

20160314_114631-1_zps2avzpuv7.jpg

Happy Torch, getting too big for its own good. I am dreading the day it will have to be fragged.

20160314_114703_zpscxey6ple.jpg

Top down

20160314_124701_zpssah5zycm.jpg

Unknown happy coral. I think it is a mini version of acan lords. But they are soooo small, not really sure what the scientific name would be.

20160314_114710_zpsoa7920ou.jpg

20160311_234710-1_zpstgpgy1zw.jpg

Archived