Pod Your Reef

Liz's Fusion 10- NEW 6/17

Elizabeth94

Thats a great price for Rastas, normally I see them for around $8-$10 per polyp.

Yeah I know.. They were surprised to see me after dropping almost $200 yesterday. I told them that I had to come back for those zoanthids before someone else was smart enough to see how good of a deal they were. However, they are on the most ugly thick, square plug. I will scrape them off but I need to pick up non-powered gloves..

Now I need a nice warpaint scolly for the middle. Or a rainbow one if I can afford it.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

once they spread and cover the plug, you wont even notice =P

Yeah... but this thing is super ugly. Its clean and all, but it is literally half an inch thick. Are rastas slow growers? I had some zoas that were like weeds in my old tank, and some that grew really slowly

So, I know you guys know what rastas look like but I grabbed a pick. White balance is really off since the morning lights were just turning on.. But these guys are probably the brightest zoas I have ever kept. A few more still need to open since yesterday was tough on them. Luckily that ugly purple background is actually covering up how ugly the plug is.

20151228_105627_zpskvbkqszs.jpg?t=145123

So.. I kind of freaked out last night.. I came home around 2am and like usual, all the corals were closed up "sleeping." But I looked over at the elegance and this thing was packed in its skeleton! I mean it looked like someone took it and squeezed it in there. This morning it looked fine.. I just never looked at it around this time of night, I guess these guys close up a lot at night time. Scared the crap out of me since I wasnt home all day to see how it was doing..

• 2 weeks later...

Well.. I don't have much to report on this tank. No new inhabitants or corals. I had to get rid of my blue damsel today, I saw him rip off a tentacle from the elegance coral. I couldn't believe it. I thought at first he was just eating the small pods, but I literally saw him rip the tentacle off, and spit it out so it was floating in the water. Needless to say, the elegance is not happy.

On other news, the german blue is doing just fine, full PE extension during the day. I am happy about this, since I used to murder sps in my old tank, hence why it was all lps. I tested calcium today and it was a bit low for my liking at ~390. So I guess I will be investing in a dosing pump soon. For now I will test and come up with a dosing schedule.

Everything else is doing just fine, I may add a coral in the middle of next week, I have to play powerball first. I am not a gambler, but with powerball so high, someone will have to win it soon. Ill throw in ten bucks tonight.

And for fun, I picked up one of these Nano toy drones after I was playing with one for a while. I am actually impressed by this cheap little thing. It is incredibly fast.

skyviper_nano0_760.jpg

And for fun, I picked up one of these Nano toy drones after I was playing with one for a while. I am actually impressed by this cheap little thing. It is incredibly fast.

yeah i really like drones myself too :happy:

was planning to make one, but didn't have time+my thoughts faded out...maybe a next project for the near future ;)

It isn't as easy as I thought it would be. Not sure I like the controls on this toy. A single knob controls the altitude and the rotation of the drone, so it never really stays one height. But it is just that, a toy. Something for me to fool around with. But practice really does help, in the past ten mins I have already done a lot better.

I have a few coworkers who are into the "professional" drones, kind of what I think Harry probably has. If you make one, I would be seriously impressed.

That elegance is gorgeous! I bet that was frustrating to see the fish ripping it apart :o. That's just crazy!

You have no idea.. I really hope it makes a fast turn around. The flesh looks healthy, but its kind of closed up. I will see how it does in the nest 48hrs, if it goes on a rapid decline I will be doing an iodine dip.

Well, I did want to switch Charlie out for a more peaceful fish. So I guess now that he is gone, I can think about what I should add. I might go with a simple firefish, or maybe a cardinal fish.

HOW is live aquaria's shipping in colder weather??

You have no idea.. I really hope it makes a fast turn around. The flesh looks healthy, but its kind of closed up. I will see how it does in the nest 48hrs, if it goes on a rapid decline I will be doing an iodine dip.

Well, I did want to switch Charlie out for a more peaceful fish. So I guess now that he is gone, I can think about what I should add. I might go with a simple firefish, or maybe a cardinal fish.

HOW is live aquaria's shipping in colder weather??

In my experience they ship in very large boxes and the heat packs aren't big enough. The boxes have been cold for me. They do guarantee though.

Hmm.. Guess Ill just put an order in with my local store just incase.

I heard on the radio, a reporter interviewed a guy in line to buy powerball tickets... Asked what he would buy if he won... He said "bunch of prostiutes and cocaine" lol

Well, if that makes him happy.. right? lol..

I really don't like to torture myself with the thought of winning, since it is almost impossible. However, I am confident that I would still finish my schooling and get a Doctorate in something.

Has anyone who owns the Nuvo Fusion 10 used a HOB Skimmer such as the AquaC Nano Remora? I am curious if I can use the MJ900 in the second chamber and manipulate the pumps tubing so that I can use this skimmer while I have my AI Prime light bracket.

​Of course I need to do some measuring. I just don't think I want an air stone driven skimmer.. I have really grown to love sps, and I just want to have some extra filtration. I will still be doing my 2.5gal/wk water changes.

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-11%20at%204.31.1

AquaC-Nano-Remora-Hang-On-Protein-Skimme

I really don't like to torture myself with the thought of winning, since it is almost impossible. However, I am confident that I would still finish my schooling and get a Doctorate in something.

If you win, you don't need a reef tank. Go buy yourself an island with a real reef in the ocean!

It isn't as easy as I thought it would be. Not sure I like the controls on this toy. A single knob controls the altitude and the rotation of the drone, so it never really stays one height. But it is just that, a toy. Something for me to fool around with. But practice really does help, in the past ten mins I have already done a lot better.

I have a few coworkers who are into the "professional" drones, kind of what I think Harry probably has. If you make one, I would be seriously impressed.

Yeah the smaller "dumb" ones are really fun and good for practice. They can take a bunch of hits and crashes without damage.

The larger more "professional" ones maintain altitude, have GPS, 30+ minute flight time, 4k video with full information downlink. Pretty cool

If you win, you don't need a reef tank. Go buy yourself an island with a real reef in the ocean!

True, I have never scuba dived before, so I have missed out enough as it is. However, I would still have a nice reef tank. It is too enjoyable and rewarding.

Has anyone who owns the Nuvo Fusion 10 used a HOB Skimmer such as the AquaC Nano Remora? I am curious if I can use the MJ900 in the second chamber and manipulate the pumps tubing so that I can use this skimmer while I have my AI Prime light bracket.

​Of course I need to do some measuring. I just don't think I want an air stone driven skimmer.. I have really grown to love sps, and I just want to have some extra filtration. I will still be doing my 2.5gal/wk water changes.

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-11%20at%204.31.1

AquaC-Nano-Remora-Hang-On-Protein-Skimme

I assume you know that the IM desktop ghost skimmer fits directly in the second chamber, right? Is hard to break in but works fine after that.

Yes I do know that. Does it really work that well? I have read real mixed reviews on it. Does it fit with the light bracket??

Yep, fits fine with the light. Mixed reviews is accurate, it's not bad but using a well known hob skimmer would probably give better results overall. I haven't heard of anyone using one although I've thought about it once or twice.

I don't hate it, but I've never had a bigger/more widely used skimmer so I don't know if the problem is the skimmer or just my lack of experience in adjusting it. But I've never been able to get dark skimmate. At best it's kind of a dark tea color.

I have been thinking of Aquamax, I hear they are great. This one.. I can change the tubing so that the return goes into the second chamber.. The pump is internal which is nice.

AquaMaxx-HOB-1-Hang-On-Back-Protein-Skim

AquaMaxx-HOB-1-Hang-On-Back-Protein-Skim

I don't hate it, but I've never had a bigger/more widely used skimmer so I don't know if the problem is the skimmer or just my lack of experience in adjusting it. But I've never been able to get dark skimmate. At best it's kind of a dark tea color.

You arent the only one. I have seen many reviews state this as well. However, it did take me a long time to dial in my Tunze 9002. I still have the Tunze, it is great, but a little too big for the second chamber. I am tempted to just cut the skimmer body and reglue it so it fits. Kind of like a custom skimmer. But I havent really seen how much different the footprint is.

Archived