inTank Media Baskets

Liz's Fusion 10- NEW 6/17

Elizabeth94

That's the same hob I've considered but before I do anything I need to work harder at dialing in the ghost skimmer. Plus I kind of hate losing the aio concept. It's the principal of the thing :)

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, all my corals so far are doing great, so there really isn't an immediate NEED for a skimmer.. I just want one for easier maintenance. I should probably invest on a dosing pump before I drop that kind of money for a skimmer on such a small tank. I don't have any fish right now anyway. I can't believe my damsel took tentacles off my elegance.. Good thing it is back to normal. Might pick a fish up tomorrow.

btw, your tank is pretty packed, and you have a fair amount of monticap- how much would you say you need to dose to keep everything stable/happy?

I have no idea how you do any maintenance on that tank without breaking your caps all the time. Still, it is stunning for sure.

New guys. The yellow watchmen was grey in the store. I am going to assume he was a bit stressed, I hope he colors up a bit once he is settled in. He is only about 1 1/2" long. So tiny. I hope he picks a spot in the front of the tank, but I doubt it.

20160112_152442_zpsgoe9wmqv.jpg

20160112_150334_zpsqshwvtfe.jpg

Yeah, all my corals so far are doing great, so there really isn't an immediate NEED for a skimmer.. I just want one for easier maintenance. I should probably invest on a dosing pump before I drop that kind of money for a skimmer on such a small tank. I don't have any fish right now anyway. I can't believe my damsel took tentacles off my elegance.. Good thing it is back to normal. Might pick a fish up tomorrow.

btw, your tank is pretty packed, and you have a fair amount of monticap- how much would you say you need to dose to keep everything stable/happy?

I have no idea how you do any maintenance on that tank without breaking your caps all the time. Still, it is stunning for sure.

I posted some dosing information a couple pages back in my thread, but it's about 3.5 ml per day of two part. And yeah I break monticaps and acro tips all the time. But it's ok because I need to keep the size of the caps down anyway :)

I posted some dosing information a couple pages back in my thread, but it's about 3.5 ml per day of two part. And yeah I break monticaps and acro tips all the time. But it's ok because I need to keep the size of the caps down anyway :)

Im sorry, Ill have to look in your thread again. Thats a lot of dosing in my mind. My calcium levels have been sitting steady at 390 for the past three or so days. Unfortunately I do not have a test kit for alk right now. My red sea pro kit is far from expired. I have been using the Nyos brand for a while. Not sure how it compares to the red sea kits in terms of accuracy.

Found the goby in my overflow this morning. Good thing it was water changed and floss change day. He is still alive and seems fine. For now I have a little more floss blocking the overflow slots so he can't slip through. I might have to look at some screen mesh to glue to the back of those overflow slots.

Anyone do this before?

Found the goby in my overflow this morning. Good thing it was water changed and floss change day. He is still alive and seems fine. For now I have a little more floss blocking the overflow slots so he can't slip through. I might have to look at some screen mesh to glue to the back of those overflow slots.

Anyone do this before?

I was afraid to glue anything permanent because if it got clogged that means an overflow out of the tank. I have used the fat pad for an Aqua clear filter and cut it to fit inside the overflow. That way it is quickly and easily removed to clean and replaced to block fish from going through the teeth.

A Maxi Jet 900 will fit width wise in the rear chamber right??? Hope these pumps are quiet.

So I pretty much decided on the AquaC Remora Nano for this tank. I will have to order some flexible tubing too make it fit. Here is a simple diagram of how I hope it will work. Either way, Ill get this thing to work on this tank. I really think it is time for some extra filtration if I plan on more sps. I really do think this will work. I am also thinking of trying the new pico ato that just came out.

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-13%20at%206.24.4

Anyone do this before?

I had this happen in my 4g tank, more than once. I tried gluing some screen on, but not only did it clog up, it didn't solve the problem. Turned out they were jumping over the back chamber wall. Do you keep your cover on all the time?

I had this happen in my 4g tank, more than once. I tried gluing some screen on, but not only did it clog up, it didn't solve the problem. Turned out they were jumping over the back chamber wall. Do you keep your cover on all the time?

Yep. Cover is on 24/7. However, as you probably know, the stock lids aren't really that form fitting on the tank. I will need to order something from smiz soon.

This goby is super small, and a bit on the skinny side. I really don't like the fish store I got him from, but whenever my favorite coral store gets gobies, they post it on Facebook and they are all sold in the first 24hrs.

Think I can manage the AquaC Remora Nano on this tank w/the mj900 in the second chamber?

Yep. Cover is on 24/7. However, as you probably know, the stock lids aren't really that form fitting on the tank. I will need to order something from smiz soon.

This goby is super small, and a bit on the skinny side. I really don't like the fish store I got him from, but whenever my favorite coral store gets gobies, they post it on Facebook and they are all sold in the first 24hrs.

Think I can manage the AquaC Remora Nano on this tank w/the mj900 in the second chamber?

Yeah, I had the same thing - I had a cover with about a 1/4" gap and they were jumping though it. I couldn't believe that was what was going on until I put the screen on the intake and they kept ending up in the back chambers anyway. I know they can't teleport so that was the only explanation :lol:

My green banded gobies were very small and skinny when I first got them, which didn't make it any easier. Now they're fat and happy and never jump, but I keep the screen on anyway, just in case.

I think the remora should work fine assuming all the measurements are right. I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes!

I am just thankful that I found the poor guy sitting on top of the filter floss. Poor little thing. I feel pretty guilty to be honest. I knew they are notorious for jumping, and my screen top had a gap all the way around. I need to get this fixed asap.

Needless to say he/she was pretty darn stressed. Had very dark stripes all along his body. I really hope he gets comfortable and starts to turn back to a healthy yellow. Right now he is a really light grey color.

I am just thankful that I found the poor guy sitting on top of the filter floss. Poor little thing. I feel pretty guilty to be honest. I knew they are notorious for jumping, and my screen top had a gap all the way around. I need to get this fixed asap.

Needless to say he/she was pretty darn stressed. Had very dark stripes all along his body. I really hope he gets comfortable and starts to turn back to a healthy yellow. Right now he is a really light grey color.

I'm in the same boat with a gap. Putting in an order for a smiz lid in the next week :).

The elegance still looks gorgeous! Has it recovered?

I'm in the same boat with a gap. Putting in an order for a smiz lid in the next week :).

The elegance still looks gorgeous! Has it recovered?

Yes it has! Tank lights are off right now so I can't get an updated pic, but it is fully open and looks happy. I had a picture of some of the spots where the tentacles were ripped off, but I can't find it.

However, I do have some pictures I took this morning. The acan baby is really getting big.

20160113_123219_zpsnwhvq8m7.jpg

20160113_123134_zpszigyyfnk.jpg

20160113_123143_zpsdvvlotqb.jpg

Yes it has! Tank lights are off right now so I can't get an updated pic, but it is fully open and looks happy. I had a picture of some of the spots where the tentacles were ripped off, but I can't find it.

20160113_123219_zpsnwhvq8m7.jpg

Love this shot! I really like the black, white, and green color combination :wub:.

That's great news about that gorgeous elegance!

I love acan babies too. I just wish they grew a teeny bit faster. The acan behind the one with the baby doesn't have anything growing around it. It is a weird shape though. These two were glued together on the same plug but I noticed they weren't actually sharing the same skeleton so I separated them hoping to get better growth.

That is the cardinals favorite spot in the tank. He came from a tank with hardly any flow, so I think he needs to build his strength to handle my tank. I hope he starts to move away from that corner during the day. If not, he will be boring and I will have to replace him with something else that actually swims.

Good news- goby made it through another night, no jumping in the back chambers.

I love acan babies :wub:

Pretty acans!

Love this shot! I really like the black, white, and green color combination :wub:.

That's great news about that gorgeous elegance!

Is the SPS addiction starting?? I have never had success with them in my old system and I was addicted to lps corals. BUT, I spend most of my time in the sos section of the fish store.. I originally went there to see if they had a protein skimmer but I couldn't pass this bridsnest up for twenty bucks.

Is it a birds of paradise? I am still new to learning sps. Its a 3" frag. I hope I don't brown it out. I really need a skimmer. It has blue/purple polyps. It just got dipped so its kinda mad

20160115_151925_zps4egdooeo.jpg

20160115_150713_zpsyggr1gws.jpg

20160115_152808_zpsq0frisj1.jpg

20160115_152323_zpschtdf7ac.jpg

So my lfs advised me agains the AquaC Remora, they say they are loud and for the price, I could find something better. I really don't want the IM Ghost Skimmer but I may have to just suck it up and get something I know will work.

Okay! Time to step up the game. Moving on to an sps that is a little more "difficult" than birdsnest and montipora. How about a teal stag? I also noticed an acan has three full babies. I couldn't see them because they were facing away from the glass. It only had one when I bought it.

These sps come from a high light, led frag tank at the fish store, so it should be fine under the prime at only 40%. The blue on the montipora looks purple on camera for some reason.

20160117_162512_zpsxnixqcze.jpg

Cloudy fts. Stirred up sand before this pic. Everything is mad at me. Now time to let things setting in and grow. I don't plan to add more sps besides maybe a monticap frag.

20160117_162435_zpscybjgsdh.jpg

Nice frag! I killed a teal stag once but it was beautiful while it lasted :)

It looks like it's not encrusted yet. Can you just pop the glue blob off the frag plug and glue it straight to the rock?

Nice frag! I killed a teal stag once but it was beautiful while it lasted :)

It looks like it's not encrusted yet. Can you just pop the glue blob off the frag plug and glue it straight to the rock?

Ill have to do that tomorrow, as you can see I usually do that. Ill have to do that tomorrow while I do a water change, thanks for reminding me!

We will see, hopefully this guys will do okay.. I hate killing corals. I don't want to jinx myself, but I have not killed anything in this tank yet. I NEED a skimmer now though. Ill have to order it next payday. #BrokeCollegeKid

I have been debating between a few skimmers, and have been talked out of a couple from my lfs. SO, no more changing my mind. I will go with my original plan- AquaMaxx HOB. I think it will fit well in this tank.

Ill try to get better close ups tomorrow when the polyps are out (hopefully, it would be great to see this guy all open and happy in the morning)

Edit: Just got home and checked on the tank, it is after 12:30am where I am and the tank has been in the complete darkness for about two hours. The stag has really nice pe extension. Guess he feels good right now.

Archived