SaltCritters.com

Liz's Fusion 10- NEW 6/17

Elizabeth94

Elizabeth94

Any idea on that mystery coral at the end?

New green birdsnest.

20160314_114615-1_zpsz9xmp3dg.jpg

TERRIBLE picture of the acro, but it really is in an awful spot for close ups with a phone. Just realized when comparing this to some of the photos I took two weeks ago that it is starting to branch in a another spot. Probably one od my fastest growing corals I have currently.

20160314_114631-1_zps2avzpuv7.jpg

Happy Torch, getting too big for its own good. I am dreading the day it will have to be fragged.

20160314_114703_zpscxey6ple.jpg

Top down

20160314_124701_zpssah5zycm.jpg

Unknown happy coral. I think it is a mini version of acan lords. But they are soooo small, not really sure what the scientific name would be.

20160314_114710_zpsoa7920ou.jpg

20160311_234710-1_zpstgpgy1zw.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Elizabeth94

Agree, I fed it since it always looks like it is begging for food. It closed up and looked like a small version of an acan. never seen one this small. It always has its feeders out all day and all night. Its cool, but the brown tentacles cover up its real, like aqua coloring.

No new corals. Kinda strapped on cash right now. My catalytic converter went in my Acura, and my battery in the Mustang went. The fix for the Acura will run me an easy $600.. New batter of the stand- $150 for a decent one. Not good for a college student.

In the meantime, I am happy to say that my Smiz lid should be here tomorrow is shipping goes as planned.

In the meantime, I am happy to say that my Smiz lid should be here tomorrow is shipping goes as planned.

Good luck with the cars by the way. :)

Elizabeth94

Yes, Ik. I just didn't think anyone would be checking in on here. This isn't exactly the most interesting tank on this sight. Haha!

You need to follow your own topic :)

Elizabeth94

New lid from Smiz arrived. Packaging was extremely well done, and obviously the quality is just as awesome as everyone swears it is. I apologize for showing his quality work with crappy phone pictures, but I figured I need new photos on this thread.

In other news, I wasnt sure if chemipure was really doing anything for my tank so I decided to take it out for a few weeks and see if anything changed. Well, I have noticed that I need to clean the glass must more now than I did with chemipure. I think I will be trying just carbon and a small bag of GFO instead of chemipure, just to see how it compares. I think I will start with two table spoons of GFO just incase.

20160401_153655_zpssyhvwazm.jpg

20160401_153720_zpso2sqrgct.jpg

Nice new lid. Are you getting better light coming in with that netting?

I'm doing phosphate sponges, changing out every 10 days. GFO was too hard to clean for me with RODI but well see if the sponges will hold up.

Elizabeth94

I noticed a difference from my old lid in terms of light penetration, but it wasn't a huge difference. The main reason why I went with Smiz's tops is because it covers the complete opening of the tank. My stock one had pretty major gaps that allowed one of my fish to jump and die.. But of course, it is also the best looking top I have seen on the market. This thing it heavy duty too, it was certainly worth the money.

You are right, gfo is pretty nasty. I was thinking about trying a different phosphate remover like PhosGaurd or PhosBan, but I have no experience with either of the two.

EDIT: Ill have to get a picture of my Acro, this thing has been growing like a weed. even the new branches are starting to grow branches. Love it!

My birdsnest always looks brown from far away, but if you look at it up close it has green skin and blue/purple polyps.. Not sure if I want to keep it.

reefernanoman

I noticed a difference from my old lid in terms of light penetration, but it wasn't a huge difference. The main reason why I went with Smiz's tops is because it covers the complete opening of the tank. My stock one had pretty major gaps that allowed one of my fish to jump and die.. But of course, it is also the best looking top I have seen on the market. This thing it heavy duty too, it was certainly worth the money.

You are right, gfo is pretty nasty. I was thinking about trying a different phosphate remover like PhosGaurd or PhosBan, but I have no experience with either of the two.

EDIT: Ill have to get a picture of my Acro, this thing has been growing like a weed. even the new branches are starting to grow branches. Love it!

My birdsnest always looks brown from far away, but if you look at it up close it has green skin and blue/purple polyps.. Not sure if I want to keep it.

I only use two little bags of chemipure blue nano on my fusion 10g and my tank is doing fine after months like that. Your tank is looking nice.
Elizabeth94

Okay, pretty sure this tank is going bare bottom (which is what I was originally going to do, I should have done it when I set the tank up..).

Not sure when I will be doing this, or how I want to go about it.I may syphon the water into a sock or something to catch the sand. Will be a two person job- me syphoning the sand, and the boyfriend holding the end with the filter sock so I don't make a mess on my floor. Probably will start next weekend.

I would start with just 1 tsp of GFO IMO, I always end up using too much.

Sand can be nasty, good decision to go BB. :)

Elizabeth94

It has been too much work to keep it clean. I need to mix it around daily to get all the "gunk" out, it is amazing what sand can hold onto. I think I want to make this little tank sps dominant, and bare bottom would help me keep the flow high and keep low nutrients.

My nitrates never go above 5ppm, but I know my phosphates are too high since I need to clean the glass daily and I have some tiny bushes of hair algae that aren't too noticeable, but they are there. I want to lower phosphates before anything gets too out of control, bare bottom should help.

I just need to get rid on my zombie snails. Hopefully my dotty back will be okay without sand. He/she really likes digging, but he should be fine, Ill make sure he has space under a rock to sleep. He spits sand all over my acans :angry:

Why have you decided to go bare bottom?

Do you have any experience with Phosban or Phosguard? Still not sure if I want to go the GFO route, last time I had a GFO reactor and I can remember how nasty this stuff was to rinse and replace.

I would start with just 1 tsp of GFO IMO, I always end up using too much.

Elizabeth94

Interesting, never heard of it. Ill have to do some research, thanks!

I've been using Rowaphos. Works pretty darn well

I used Seachems Phosguard for a while. It needs rinsed even moreso than GFO and should never be tumbled. I think bare bottom and no GFO is the answer, you may find you can keep PO4 low by simply making sure to blow off the rocks and suck up any detritus during water changes.

Elizabeth94

Thats true markalot. I shouldn't worry too much about phosphate products is I am going to go bare bottom. Not sure how I will suck up the nasties from the glass in this tiny tank. My syphon is so strong it could remove all the water in less than 30seconds. Ill have to buy a smaller diameter hose.

Last night I accidentally sucked up a tentacle of my torch coral. Thankfully it was just one. Years ago I sucked up almost a whole head of frogspawn. It made a full recovery but it was my first ever coral, and I was so scared :(

I used Seachems Phosguard for a while. It needs rinsed even moreso than GFO and should never be tumbled. I think bare bottom and no GFO is the answer, you may find you can keep PO4 low by simply making sure to blow off the rocks and suck up any detritus during water changes.

Elizabeth94

Went to the fish store for some water and came home with a new acro. I have no idea what kind it is, but it is pink and teal, with pink polyps. Quite beautiful, I hope I don't brown it out. Boyfriend doesn't like the idea of me removing the sand because he loves the zombie snails. I tried explaining to him why it would be beneficial for the corals but he wouldn't hear it.

So I just told him that since I pay for everything, and I am the one who takes care of the corals, It will happen my way :lol: So sand coming out next week. I may have to do it in stages.

Anyway, here is a picture taken directly after a dip. I have no idea what morph it is

20160402_132830-1_zpsf6vka4j7.jpg

Might be sarmentosa, they vary a bit between the aussie and indo versions. Color can be green with blue/pink highlights and pink polyps.

Elizabeth94

Thanks Markalot, I think you may be right. I looked up some photos and realized how awful my picture was. Ill have to try and get a better one when the polyps come out. Hopefully I don't kill it!

Might be sarmentosa, they vary a bit between the aussie and indo versions. Color can be green with blue/pink highlights and pink polyps.

Elizabeth94

A top down this morning. Polyps on the new acro have come out, so I haven't killed it :happy: Its weird how the polyps look blue in the photos, they are a pink color.

20160403_113741-1_zpsb03qxvyk.jpg

20160403_113741-2_zpsud1iri2p.jpg

Archived