SaltCritters.com

Liz's Fusion 10- NEW 6/17

Elizabeth94

Elizabeth94

Freakishly colored lion fish. Not quiet sure how I feel about it. All I know is I like the body because of the shading I did.

Next up is an emperor angelfish. This time I am going to use more realistic coloring since the fish is already colorful on its own. This is just stress relief for me since it has been to crappy outside to do anything else like bike riding. I much prefer to draw with pencil, but can't find my sketchbook..

EDIT: Now that I look at it, I would have liked it if I colored the fins with black shading and blues.. Eh, too late now

IMG_0311_zpsvaonz6m4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Elizabeth94

Some sps growth shots..

January 2016

20160115_152323_zpschtdf7ac.jpg

A week ago ( I broke branches of this multiple times during water changes.. And it has also cut me, so pointy!)

20160511_123330_zpsxhcdstra.jpg

Green Birdsnest

March 14th

20160314_114615-1_zpsz9xmp3dg.jpg

May 9th

20160509_112014_zpsfd8qvzbj.jpg

Unknown Acro (first sps for this tank)

Jan 24th (Percent daytime shot, true to color picture. I love this one.. Notice how much of the plug is showing... )

20160123_181130-1_zpslm5cz2nq.jpg

Tonight... (Awful nighttime shot with the fash on. I took this with no tanks lights on, just the flash)

20160515_210136-1_zpsypbwij3z.jpg

FUN WITH FAVIA...

Night time shot with phone..

20160515_212140_zpsqh7ajnrf.jpg

Took another with grey setting

20160515_212241-1_zpso6wdl3ls.jpg

With the negative setting ( I think I am going to take a full tank shot in the morning with this setting lol)

20160515_212328-1_zpsprywcv0w.jpg

Elizabeth94

what kind of setting is your mp10 in that tank?

Its on the blue pulse mode. The lowest power, and the length of the pulse is set to about half. So its a kind of long, gentle pulse. Every coral seems to enjoy the flow. The sps are placed close and get a pretty strong current. The return takes care of the front glass and the right side of the tank.

Works really well actually. Took a bit of playing around when I put the torch in.

Thaks teeny! Both of them are growing a lot. Kind of crazy that they dont encrust. How do the support their weight? Doesnt make sense to me. I saw a pink birdsnest that was about the size of two basketballs (pretty unbelievable in person) and I have no idea how something so brittle could grow like that.

Not really a lot of corals in here, but growth is picking up significantly. I lose about 1.2dkh in a day. Maybe more. It seems that the more I dose, the more they grow, and the more they need MORE.

Crazy cycle.

Looking very good. I don't know how the birds survive in the wild, they barely encrust and then get huge fast. :D

reefernanoman

Some sps growth shots..

January 2016

20160115_152323_zpschtdf7ac.jpg

A week ago ( I broke branches of this multiple times during water changes.. And it has also cut me, so pointy!)

20160511_123330_zpsxhcdstra.jpg

Green Birdsnest

March 14th

20160314_114615-1_zpsz9xmp3dg.jpg

May 9th

20160509_112014_zpsfd8qvzbj.jpg

Unknown Acro (first sps for this tank)

Jan 24th (Percent daytime shot, true to color picture. I love this one.. Notice how much of the plug is showing... )

20160123_181130-1_zpslm5cz2nq.jpg

Tonight... (Awful nighttime shot with the fash on. I took this with no tanks lights on, just the flash)

20160515_210136-1_zpsypbwij3z.jpg

FUN WITH FAVIA...

Night time shot with phone..

20160515_212140_zpsqh7ajnrf.jpg

Took another with grey setting

20160515_212241-1_zpso6wdl3ls.jpg

With the negative setting ( I think I am going to take a full tank shot in the morning with this setting lol)

20160515_212328-1_zpsprywcv0w.jpg

Great growth!

How long of a pulse on the MP10? What percentage? I'm trying to dial mine in on my fusion 10G.

Elizabeth94

Great growth!

How long of a pulse on the MP10? What percentage? I'm trying to dial mine in on my fusion 10G.

Thanks! I responded to this post earlier with my phone but apparently it didn't go through :(

It is on the blue pulse mode. Lowest power but the pulse is on about half way. So a long, gentle pulse. The torch loves it, and my sps are doing fairly well so far so I think the flow is just right.

Elizabeth94

what acro is that? very nice teal color to it.

It is really pretty. To be honest, I have no idea what kind it is. But its growing well and is encrusting pretty darn good

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, quick question, is that aquamaxx skimmer still working out good for you? Thinking about getting one and teeny said you like yours alot. Tanks looking nice, looks like your getting the knack for SPS well.

Elizabeth94

Hey, quick question, is that aquamaxx skimmer still working out good for you? Thinking about getting one and teeny said you like yours alot. Tanks looking nice, looks like your getting the knack for SPS well.

I love it. Its a bit loud at first, but it gets quieter. This thing is a beast of a skimmer though.

My sps is doing pretty good as well. I need to upload a new picture of the green birdsnest. It is now a small colony in my book.

Elizabeth94

Green birdsnest is a grower. On the top of this page you will see the May 9th picture. Here is the one from May 30th.

20160530_131542_zpsiipp7dbu.jpg

Coraline growth has been slightly annoying. I don't mind it growing on the mp10 because I can tell the tank is "healthy." But once it starts to grow on the front glass it can be frustrating. Here is a quick and dirty shot of the coraline on the pump. Mind you, this wet side is actually pretty new. My other wet side broke a while ago and I had to order this brand new.

20160530_131817_zpsbyu881ks.jpg

reefernanoman

Green birdsnest is a grower. On the top of this page you will see the May 9th picture. Here is the one from May 30th.

20160530_131542_zpsiipp7dbu.jpg

Coraline growth has been slightly annoying. I don't mind it growing on the mp10 because I can tell the tank is "healthy." But once it starts to grow on the front glass it can be frustrating. Here is a quick and dirty shot of the coraline on the pump. Mind you, this wet side is actually pretty new. My other wet side broke a while ago and I had to order this brand new.

20160530_131817_zpsbyu881ks.jpg

Nice! Yup, those birdsnest take off when they are happy. Looking good.

Nice growth, looking good. I had to get a scraper, not even my flipper with a blade can keep up with some of the coraline. I'm pretty lazy but once every 3 or so months I get in there and scrape all the coraline that the magnet scraper somehow missed. :D

Elizabeth94

I do have a cheap petco metal scraper, but if I get too close to the corners of the tank it will scrape the silicone. And of course that is where coraline is growing.

There is one thing that I am confused about. The "green" acro I got used to have a deeper green skin color with the green polyps. However, it now has a really like skin color and deep green polyps. It is growing like crazy, but it just doesn't have that deep color on the skin.

I noticed that using "Fuel" really worked well to color it up, and without it the acro has a light skin color. I am thinking with a tank this small and with the fast growing sps, I need those extra trace elements. Of course I could just up my water change schedule, but everything does quiet well with a water change once every two weeks. If I do more than that my acans get pissy.

Nice growth, looking good. I had to get a scraper, not even my flipper with a blade can keep up with some of the coraline. I'm pretty lazy but once every 3 or so months I get in there and scrape all the coraline that the magnet scraper somehow missed. :D

It's most likely the lights combined with nutrients. Some acros can't handle white LED's and will tend to go pale without extra nutrients. My slimer loves any light it can get but other corals paled out when I was all LED. Broader spectrum LED, like white, have a wide smooth curve while T5 has sharp peaks. Lowering the whites might help.

Elizabeth94

Hmm.. I do have my whites really high compared to my blues. They are at 75%, blues at about 60%. I was going to do this to see if it affects my acans as well, but I just haven't gotten to it yet. My next tank will have a nice t5 fixture on it since I have really been enjoying my sps's. I used to be an lps fanatic.

It's most likely the lights combined with nutrients. Some acros can't handle white LED's and will tend to go pale without extra nutrients. My slimer loves any light it can get but other corals paled out when I was all LED. Broader spectrum LED, like white, have a wide smooth curve while T5 has sharp peaks. Lowering the whites might help.

If I had any idea how to ship things I would grow some on a rock and send some out to you. Why do you think it doesn't grow for you??

I'll take some coralline from you ;) haven't been able to grow it since 2010...

mystersyster

If I had any idea how to ship things I would grow some on a rock and send some out to you. Why do you think it doesn't grow for you??

It's somewhat of a mystery. It grows great for some people, not so well for others. It grew like crazy in my first reef after it cycled which was a ten gallon. I grew a single spot in my 20 gallon. My 40 gallon hasn't grown any, and it has died off of the live rocks I had. I grow SPS just fine so I should be able to grow it. I think it comes down to which species you get, because apparently there are a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

I love it. Its a bit loud at first, but it gets quieter. This thing is a beast of a skimmer though.

My sps is doing pretty good as well. I need to upload a new picture of the green birdsnest. It is now a small colony in my book.

Got it! pretty happy with it after just two days, thanks for the recommendation!

Elizabeth94

Got it! pretty happy with it after just two days, thanks for the recommendation!

Thats great news! It should quiet down a lot. Give it a good week or two. I can hardly hear mine now. But I guess I could have just gotten used to it too. It really does work like a horse.

Elizabeth94

Well! It has been a while since I uploaded any pictures. Everything is dead.... Haha, just kidding. Everything is doing just fine. Still have my cardinal and dottyback. I do need to pick up snails since I only have one turbo snail. He stays on the glass all the time and never touches any algae on my rocks. The only new thing in here is a frogspawn, which you can see directly below the torch. They make perfect neighbors.

FTS

20160617_143034_zps9lfsb5nn.jpg

Frogspawn and torch getting along

20160617_143147_zps4tpvvxch.jpg

Favia sensing the mysis I took in before I took these photos

20160617_143156_zpsvtnko5ak.jpg

Dumb orange acans. Popping out babies but I don't like the color

20160617_143200_zpstkdagsgh.jpg

I like this one better

20160617_143203_zpsgzpxpdpb.jpg

Green purple acans

20160617_143137_zpsj5v638as.jpg

20160617_143128_zpset9wmq2v.jpg

Random photo

20160617_143038_zpsmyqszljx.jpg

Elizabeth94

Thanks Teeny- I really do love it. At first I was worried because someone told me that the gold torches have a more potent sting? But it seems to be doing just fine.

I am pretty much filled completely with corals.. So sad :(

Archived