Top Shelf Aquatics

Hexilios' IM10 Journal 08/22/2016

Hexilios

Salutations and welcome to my tank thread!

Tank's Birthday, 24th of december 2015.

2016/08/22FTS

IMG_20160822_184735.jpg

Equipment:

• Tank: IM NUVO 10, upgraded 200gph pump & spin-stream + ball valve
  • Lighting: AI PRIME ~9" from surface of water.
  • Filtration: Purigen, 2 tbsp. carbon & 8 pounds of live rock
  • Powerhead: 160gph intermittent
  • Heater: Colbalt neotherm 50W
  • ATO: AutoAqua smart ATO micro
  • Coralife digital timer

Settings / Parameters :

aisettings.png

Stock:

• Ocellaris clownfish
  • Female bicolor blenny
  • Astrea snail & Bumble bee snail
  • 3 Blue legged hermits

Corals:

• 3 Jester BTAs
  • Torch
  • Pink Monitpora
  • Plate coral
  • Green/purple stripped mushrooms
  • Orange mushrooms
  • Green paly

This is my second go around, my first tank ( JBJ 29 ) didn't work out as well as I had hoped 4~ years back, although I learned a ton.

Thanks for your time and consideration, it is much appreciated. All advice and critisim are welcome!

• Like 2

The favia is very nice, although it's sweepers are much larger then I anticipated and I've had to suctioncup/rubberband the monti to the back wall and move the torch over 1/2".

What kind of lighting were these corals under before you got them?

You don't want to burn your corals, and favias really don't need a lot of light (in fact, they get great growth and color when they are partially shaded). That being said, I would start the Prime out at 30% max, see how they react to the light. If they stay closed or look like they are getting lighter, lower the intensity.

Every system is different, but my sps are looking just fine under the Prime at about 45% max. They are probably 8" or 9" away from the light.

-reserved-

So after trying every AI Prime setting I could find I really haven't figured out how much intensity I need. Elizabeths tank is similar to myne and shes running about half the intensity I was on earlier: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/367108-elizabeths-fusion-10-back-to-the-salty-side/page-7

Anyone have a good baseline?

Thanks for the input Elizabeth! I've decreased the intensity a few percentage points, these used to be under an array of kessil 160s in a large shallow tank.

I am going to lower the favia and raise the torch, who has been stung 3 times now :( .

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

BUMP for UPDATE 2016/07/25 including AI Prime settings ( see OP ), after 6 months of tuning, all corals are responding "reasonably"!

Sorry it's been so long since my last update everyone, my life has been all over the place. In terms of my lil reef everything is surviving and now thriving, except the montipora (to little light, am scared to bleach him, not enough flow?) who is recovering from the tank change a month ago and the light not being set up/ramped correctly.

I bought a IM NUVO 10 and transfered everything over, a Spectrapure CSPDI RODI system ( LFS was selling 20ppm as RODI) and a new Smart micro ATO, after I burnt the last one dropping it into the waste bucket.

I got rid of the favia war coral because it was constantly super aggressive, added a female bi color blenny and a skunk shrimp was eaten by one of the nems, I am assuming. I also switched to bare bottom after reading that plate corals do fine on flat surfaces as long as they aren't touching anything to the sides.

2016/07/24FTS

IMG_20160724_154709.jpg
IMG_20160724_154715.jpg

best shot imho:

IMG_20160724_154721.jpg

So the monti, When I changed tanks I ramped down the light quite a bit and lowered the light to 8 inches above the water, all the other corals responded well but the monti did not. He lost most of his coloration, I was quite upset.

IMG_20160725_164520.jpg

Now that I am ramping back up the monti is recoloring but in a wierd pattern that leads me to believe he's getting to much light, not sure?! If anyone can steer me right on this I'd very much appreciate it.

• 4 weeks later...

I see tiny polyp growth and extension, my montipora is recovering! Plus increasing florescence all around at night! I am continuing to ramp my lights daily ~5% every two weeks, steadily increasing my spectrum towards the blue/UV!

IMG_20160822_184742.jpg

Just switched to a sturdy hardwood table as well!

New addition "Pink apple Paly", more like green apple?! Better pics soon!

• 11 months later...
20 hours ago, monrocks said:

When you say 2 table spoon purigen? How many table spoons off carbon do i use?

The OP hasn't been on in nearly a year, you may be better off posting your question elsewhere. :)

• Thanks 1