Cultivated Reef

Stella's Sixty-Six

ReefWeeds

Lawn is a slow learner... but stella is following jack... 1 page no pics... come on you got nice shit, show lawn up

There are pics on this page! 5 of them :)

Oh shit. New page! I lied.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lol:

Need moar pics!

haha! Ok, more pics coming! Maybe...

I do have a corky finger problem I was going to post up, so not a pretty pic...

what happened

i don't know really exactly what is going on. I had gotten a shipment from Russ on Friday, but he shipped it Monday - and USPS delivered really late. It hasn't polyped and I've already lost three of the gorgs that looked like they were doing fine, but then woke up one morning and tissue was flying off so I tossed them. the water was cloudy on those three in the shipping bags. Russ thought this one might be ok since the corkies are hardy. But it is shedding this white skin and I don't know if it is dying or just shedding. I keep blowing it off, but it produces more. I know they can be toxic so I've been running carbon, but should've been running it all along. I lost another gorg that I have had forever so I don't know if it is just due to the tank being new OR if this particular corky is ticking everyone off or of the others that I probably shouldn't have put in the tank caused issues for my existing gorgs. Just weird. The previous shipment I got from Russ was also delayed so I didn't have really good luck with those either. Some of these were replacements. Making a long story longer, Russ is no longer shipping because of the delays and losses. I had a bunch of issues with macros as well. I feel really bad for all the troubles with shipping he has gone through for sure. And he's also no longer going to sell the purple candelabra as well as the orange spiny since they don't do well with two day shipping (which explains why they didn't do well with my shipments since both tok 5 days). I shouldn't have probably put gorgs in my tank that came in cloudy water as I think the toxins are bothering a lot of my softies as well as existing gorgs :(

Well, that was a book! :)

Coral photo.

torch doing its thing:

33eqBVP.jpg

Blueberry Merlettis

IweY4mf.jpg

Ok, here are the problem Corky photos. You can see the white shedding skin - and there is a definite line where there is shedding skin and where there isn't. Do I take a toothbrush and carefully brush it out of the water and give it an iodine dip to help it heal?

4gKhuiU.jpg

close ups:

UUAKawx.jpg

nykIaYT.jpg

Ok, here are the problem Corky photos. You can see the white shedding skin - and there is a definite line where there is shedding skin and where there isn't. Do I take a toothbrush and carefully brush it out of the water and give it an iodine dip to help it heal?

4gKhuiU.jpg

close ups:

UUAKawx.jpg

nykIaYT.jpg

No you leave it alone and keep your hands out of the tank :). If it gets cyano on it or turns black in spots then you give it a light brushing.

No you leave it alone and keep your hands out of the tank :). If it gets cyano on it or turns black in spots then you give it a light brushing.

:) ok. I need to heed the advice I pestered Harry with. Hands out!

jedimasterben

IMHO I wouldn't keep the Briareum corky gorgs. They can be pretty invasive once they get to growing, they'll overgrow anything around them.

IMHO I wouldn't keep the Briareum corky gorgs. They can be pretty invasive once they get to growing, they'll overgrow anything around them.

hmm. That's a good piece of info. I will put it over on its own rock maybe once it gets healthier.

hmm. That's a good piece of info. I will put it over on its own rock maybe once it gets healthier.

You can always send some to me when/if they start to grow out of hand!

i don't know really exactly what is going on. I had gotten a shipment from Russ on Friday, but he shipped it Monday - and USPS delivered really late. It hasn't polyped and I've already lost three of the gorgs that looked like they were doing fine, but then woke up one morning and tissue was flying off so I tossed them. the water was cloudy on those three in the shipping bags. Russ thought this one might be ok since the corkies are hardy. But it is shedding this white skin and I don't know if it is dying or just shedding. I keep blowing it off, but it produces more. I know they can be toxic so I've been running carbon, but should've been running it all along. I lost another gorg that I have had forever so I don't know if it is just due to the tank being new OR if this particular corky is ticking everyone off or of the others that I probably shouldn't have put in the tank caused issues for my existing gorgs. Just weird. The previous shipment I got from Russ was also delayed so I didn't have really good luck with those either. Some of these were replacements. Making a long story longer, Russ is no longer shipping because of the delays and losses. I had a bunch of issues with macros as well. I feel really bad for all the troubles with shipping he has gone through for sure. And he's also no longer going to sell the purple candelabra as well as the orange spiny since they don't do well with two day shipping (which explains why they didn't do well with my shipments since both tok 5 days). I shouldn't have probably put gorgs in my tank that came in cloudy water as I think the toxins are bothering a lot of my softies as well as existing gorgs :(

Well, that was a book! :)

Extra time in transit will screw up any critter so it is to be expected that they will have flesh necrosis.

But I got both the purple and rusty gorgonians from Russ and are doing fine. I did have some tissue loss on the purple, but I can't be sure if that happened when it toppled over during my vacation or otherwise.

About carbon - why are you not running it all the time as opposed to intermittently when there is an issue?

Extra time in transit will screw up any critter so it is to be expected that they will have flesh necrosis.

But I got both the purple and rusty gorgonians from Russ and are doing fine. I did have some tissue loss on the purple, but I can't be sure if that happened when it toppled over during my vacation or otherwise.

About carbon - why are you not running it all the time as opposed to intermittently when there is an issue?

Well, I've generally only run carbon when I thought I needed to up to this point and I was nervous to strip the water since I've had trouble keeping nutrients up since I ran stuff to lower the spike in phos I had initially that caused some GHA outbreak. But yeah, I should've been running it constantly with the new tank. Stupid on my part. My "easy corals" are all sorts of ticked off at the moment. the toads, the sinularia, etc.

The spiny orange and candelabra actually never polyped and completely receded. I think Russ should still sell them because I'm sure they do fine with the 2 day shipping. I just had bad luck of ordering during the holidays and having stuff take 5 days to get here.

Here are some funny pics for today. Every day Franklin begs to be picked up. He thinks he is Stella's size and not the 75 lb beastie he is:

wGg7MMp.jpg

exdpFYx.jpg

Jeff was in Orlando a couple weeks ago and brought me back this hat. So, if I wear this, am I telling Florida to bite me or telling everyone that sees my hat to bite me? I am torn.

SrOlx5V.jpg

I think your talking to everyone

:lol: I AGREE!!! HAHAHA! I told Jeff I'm wearing that hat to his company christmas party tonight.

(he did't see the humor in that.....)

Seems reasonable to me. You have to do something to have fun at a company Christmas party!

EXACTLY!!!!

I was having fun with my new top down viewing box (thanks Lawn!!!):

Can you see Bert?

9p3hg7X.jpg?1

8NUqy8S.jpg?1

hMLF882.jpg?1

HFrGkhN.jpg

mDIH70q.jpg

Next time I'll turn off the blues and turn up the whites. It was kind of a last minute thought.

0T6dcma.jpg?2

Archived