Cultivated Reef

Kimber's tank is getting swapped!

kimberbee

kimberbee

FTS from a different angle and with a better camera:

26777058476_a2478b3795_z.jpg

Any tips on how to not get reflections of other objects around the room? It bothers me that you can see the reflection of the closet door. :angry:

Or maybe it's the tank lights? I didn't realize until last night I only had the whites on 20%. Much too low for this tank I think!

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Keep the room lights off, also close the blinds/curtains on any windows if possible.

Great Looking Tank :)

As for the reflection, try to take a shot from a different angle. Maybe step a little closer to the Tank.

kimberbee

Keep the room lights off, also close the blinds/curtains on any windows if possible.

That's probably the issue then... having the whites at only 20% makes it all look too dark in photos. So I turn the room lights on to brighten it up. I should probably just change over to photo mode, but sometimes my tablet is too far away (in the other room). ;)

kimberbee

Awesome setup everything is looking amazing. Very inspirational.

Thanks!

I love the way the gorg is facing left, nice way to redirect your eyes.

Hahaha!! Of course, last night I had to "flip" it the other way cause it was leaning into the duncan!

ReefWeeds

Everything looks very happy and puffy :) Where are your sun corals placed? Oh wait - are they in the 10?

kimberbee

Everything looks very happy and puffy :) Where are your sun corals placed? Oh wait - are they in the 10?

Right side. Black one is behind the gorg and the orange one is even further in the corner. I need to rearrange. I put them in the back since it's shaded but then you can't see them... :(

I already told Stella, but I'm thinking about swaping tanks. I don't really like the size of this tank. It's too tall so whenever I do a water change my whole arm gets soaked and the next day my side is sore from standing on my tiptoes to lean over and siphon the sand. The back chambers are also HUGE and I have to put two giant balls of polyfill in the floss holders so I'm going through that like crazy.

I thinking about swapping out for a Lagoon 25, which has the same footprint, just 7 inches shorter. It also has smaller rear chambers, so I'd gain a little floor space, which is good because I prefer to place corals low. I'm just not good at scaping high.

I just wish more people had the tanks or I could see one on display somewhere - no LFS's near me seem to have them on display.

I already told Stella, but I'm thinking about swaping tanks. I don't really like the size of this tank. It's too tall so whenever I do a water change my whole arm gets soaked and the next day my side is sore from standing on my tiptoes to lean over and siphon the sand. The back chambers are also HUGE and I have to put two giant balls of polyfill in the floss holders so I'm going through that like crazy.

I thinking about swapping out for a Lagoon 25, which has the same footprint, just 7 inches shorter. It also has smaller rear chambers, so I'd gain a little floor space, which is good because I prefer to place corals low. I'm just not good at scaping high.

I just wish more people had the tanks or I could see one on display somewhere - no LFS's near me seem to have them on display.

7" shorter sounds nice plus smaller back chambers. I think you should do it :).

7" shorter sounds nice plus smaller back chambers. I think you should do it :).

I'm really, really considering it. This tank was supposed to be the tank to end all tanks (at least for the next 5 years) but it's just BIG and TALL and I don't really like it.

I still have the IM 20 with the stand in the garage. I really need to sell that. I have to come up with some extra money in order to buy a new tank!

FlowerMama

Certainly do what fits you best. Sometimes you don't know til you try. I thought my 60 shallow was going to be the tank to end all. It wasn't. I def stick to a 10, 20 & 40g. That's it.

reefernanoman

FTS from a different angle and with a better camera:

26777058476_a2478b3795_z.jpg

Any tips on how to not get reflections of other objects around the room? It bothers me that you can see the reflection of the closet door. :angry:

Or maybe it's the tank lights? I didn't realize until last night I only had the whites on 20%. Much too low for this tank I think!

That's a very nice looking tank in a short amount of time. Congrats.

It looks really nice kimber but I hear ya about tall tanks. I had that with the 30g XH seahorse tank. Everytime I worked in it, I was on tip toes and wet to my armpits (which usually resulted in soggy sleeves that I couldn't push up high enough.).

It looks really nice kimber but I hear ya about tall tanks. I had that with the 30g XH seahorse tank. Everytime I worked in it, I was on tip toes and wet to my armpits (which usually resulted in soggy sleeves that I couldn't push up high enough.).

I go through the same thing with my standard 90g FW tank. I have to roll my sleeves up over my shoulders to keep from getting all wet. I've thought about converting it to SW but I think I'd have to get a new tank that's more shallow, like a Deep Blue 75g tank. 20" deep instead of 24" would make a huge difference!

I go through the same thing with my standard 90g FW tank. I have to roll my sleeves up over my shoulders to keep from getting all wet. I've thought about converting it to SW but I think I'd have to get a new tank that's more shallow, like a Deep Blue 75g tank. 20" deep instead of 24" would make a huge difference!

One way to deal with a tall tank is put in a deep sand bed. It wont help the being on tip toes part but it helps with having to reach so far down into the tank. I have had several DSB and they are maintenance free and it you don't overfeed they are great for denitrification. I know some folks are afraid of them poisoning their tanks but that has nevet happened to any of the tanks I serviced or any of my tanks. One of my friends who has a 240 predator tank with a DSB that is probably 15 years old. Any way its just a thought kimber. If I ever set my 30 gallon up again that is what I will do.

I'm really, really considering it. This tank was supposed to be the tank to end all tanks (at least for the next 5 years) but it's just BIG and TALL and I don't really like it.

I still have the IM 20 with the stand in the garage. I really need to sell that. I have to come up with some extra money in order to buy a new tank!

or you could build a stand 7" shorter ;)

Archived