Cultivated Reef

Kimber's tank is getting swapped!

kimberbee

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everything survived my vacation just fine. :happydance:

26942966630_7782afe343_z.jpg

Though I did spy some new random polyps growing in the sand last night!!

26612859443_10f2ddc28f_z.jpg

And got my booster set up. 5 Gallon jug filled in 45 minutes. Sooooo much faster than before!!

27184372246_dd75e4f438_z.jpg

It is always nice to come home from vacation and not deal with bad fish tank stuff. My mom has tank sitted for me a few times. Once she cleaned my FW tank with the aerosol glass cleaner and managed to kill all the fish. The last time she left the freezer open and a bunch of food thawed out and had to be tossed.

I also hooked up my smart buddie booster pump so far I am very impressed with it. When you gonna hook that RO/DI unit up properly? Your no longer renting hook that thing up under the sink. Its got to get old hauling that thing out everytime you want to make water.

Yay! I am glad that everything was as it should be when you got home. I am leaving in about 2 and a half weeks and its always scary.

It is always nice to come home from vacation and not deal with bad fish tank stuff. My mom has tank sitted for me a few times. Once she cleaned my FW tank with the aerosol glass cleaner and managed to kill all the fish. The last time she left the freezer open and a bunch of food thawed out and had to be tossed.

I also hooked up my smart buddie booster pump so far I am very impressed with it. When you gonna hook that RO/DI unit up properly? Your no longer renting hook that thing up under the sink. Its got to get old hauling that thing out everytime you want to make water.

Who said anything about hauling it out? We just leave it on the counter!!

Now that I've got the booster pump, we'll work on getting it under the sink. The only issue is that there is no power under the sink, and we'd have to make holes in the countertop for the power and water lines.

My idea is to put it all on a rolling cart to shove in a closet when not being used. I like setting the jugs in the sink in case I overflow them. I don't really understand how other people have their water set up while its being made if they gotta do it in the kitchen...

Leaving the tank is always stressful for me, I'm glad you came home to nothing being out of the ordinary. I'm leaving for a 2 week trip next week. The TS is there so I'm not worried. But my cat has not been feeling well and I am really not looking forward to being away from him this long. :(

Great news...the tank looks like it did perfectly! Funny...last time I had a tank sitter was MANY years ago. My first saltwater tank. I came home to about 6 inches of evaporation in the display. Apparently the tutorial and instructions left weren't clear enough :rolleyes:.

I'm a little nervous myself. I'm leaving for 15 days next week - definitely the longest I've been away since starting the tank. I just hope we don't end up with too many 90° days... I don't have a tanksitter, but I may have to stock up on some alcohol to bribe friends. :)

With vacation time coming, seems a lot of us are getting nervous! Glad your tank did well, Kimberbee. We are going on a 2 week driving tour of England and France in July, and our son and dil will be house/dog/tank sitting. They did a great job last fall for 12 days when we went out west, but thay was just the biocube 29 and a 10 gallon. Now we have the sumped 75 & biocube, I am trying to plan well in advance. Any tips?

Leaving the tank is always stressful for me, I'm glad you came home to nothing being out of the ordinary. I'm leaving for a 2 week trip next week. The TS is there so I'm not worried. But my cat has not been feeling well and I am really not looking forward to being away from him this long. :(

:unsure:

With vacation time coming, seems a lot of us are getting nervous! Glad your tank did well, Kimberbee. We are going on a 2 week driving tour of England and France in July, and our son and dil will be house/dog/tank sitting. They did a great job last fall for 12 days when we went out west, but thay was just the biocube 29 and a 10 gallon. Now we have the sumped 75 & biocube, I am trying to plan well in advance. Any tips?

All I had the sitter do was top off water. I used a 5 gallon jug and only filled it with 3 gallons. I evaporate about 1 gallon a day, but marked a "full" line at about 3 gallons, and then a "24 hours" line. That way he had a guide as to how often he needed to refill. Also, both tanks use the same ATO jug.

I was too nervous about explaining pumps, heaters, turning everything off, then on again for feeding. I fed really heavy 3 days and the day before leaving. Figured everything could go on a week long diet and likely survive! ;)

Who said anything about hauling it out? We just leave it on the counter!!

Now that I've got the booster pump, we'll work on getting it under the sink. The only issue is that there is no power under the sink, and we'd have to make holes in the countertop for the power and water lines.

My idea is to put it all on a rolling cart to shove in a closet when not being used. I like setting the jugs in the sink in case I overflow them. I don't really understand how other people have their water set up while its being made if they gotta do it in the kitchen...

Do you have a garbage disposal? If so you have power under there somewhere. You shouldnt need to drill holes in the counter. I just have a long enough line from my DI to go up to the sink out the cabinet door. When not using it I just shove the line in the cabinet.

Do you have a garbage disposal? If so you have power under there somewhere. You shouldnt need to drill holes in the counter. I just have a long enough line from my DI to go up to the sink out the cabinet door. When not using it I just shove the line in the cabinet.

Nope, no disposal. :(

Long lines and an extension cord will probably be used.

Lagoon 25 ordered as well as an inTank basket and smaller heater.

Next, I need to figure out a new lid...

Lagoon 25 ordered as well as an inTank basket and smaller heater.

Next, I need to figure out a new lid...

Woo hoo!

All of the tank weight is supported by just the screws, not the 2 x 4 's. I don't like that.

Did you miss the verticals? I see what you are saying but those verticals will take the weight with no issues.

Did you miss the verticals? I see what you are saying but those verticals will take the weight with no issues.

I did see the verticals. But almost all of the weight is on the screws, and only incidentally on the verticals.

Kimber, what chamber did you use for the Eshopps Nano skimmer? From looking at the dimensions it's 4 1/2" x 2 1/4", which is too wide for the second chamber. Can you describe how it's mounted? And how do you like the skimmer? Thanks!

Kimber, what chamber did you use for the Eshopps Nano skimmer? From looking at the dimensions it's 4 1/2" x 2 1/4", which is too wide for the second chamber. Can you describe how it's mounted? And how do you like the skimmer? Thanks!

Just saw this, I haven't installed the skimmer in the 40, but I used it for the 20 which has smaller chambers, I'm pretty sure. You can sort of swivel the pump to save some room.

I'll be working on the tanks tonight, so I can get it out and take some pics. It's a good skimmer once dialed in, though I only ever got dark green tea colored skimmate. The magnet needs to be stronger, but I think its an ok skimmer overall!

I'm a little nervous myself. I'm leaving for 15 days next week - definitely the longest I've been away since starting the tank. I just hope we don't end up with too many 90° days... I don't have a tanksitter, but I may have to stock up on some alcohol to bribe friends. :)

Leave a fan blowing air in the room and on the tank, it can be hooked up to the controller, fan will cause more evap than normal so the top off water has to be plenty.

Just saw this, I haven't installed the skimmer in the 40, but I used it for the 20 which has smaller chambers, I'm pretty sure. You can sort of swivel the pump to save some room.

I'll be working on the tanks tonight, so I can get it out and take some pics. It's a good skimmer once dialed in, though I only ever got dark green tea colored skimmate. The magnet needs to be stronger, but I think its an ok skimmer overall!

I think I've figured a way to use my Tunze skimmer by putting it in one of the intake chambers, but it would be good to know how yours is set up, just in case :) Thanks!

Archived