Pod Your Reef

MACNA 2016 San Diego

Sancho

FYI, I would recommend reaching out to us if you feel that you are not getting appropriate rates. The cost involved has little to do with union laborThis is no small frag swap.

BS. This is my 7th MACNA no way to get around union GES if you have a crate(s). Unless you want to move the crate for less, oh wait they won't let you or I touch it....

What kind of shit hole did you book us into? Talk about oversold and fraud.

20160903_164642.jpg

20160903_164654.jpg

20160903_164319.jpg

20160903_174021.jpg

20160903_174028.jpg

20160903_224654.jpg

20160903_224702.jpg

20160903_224707.jpg

20160903_224853.jpg

20160903_224916.jpg

SDMAF is hiding any information of this from their controlled sources. They better be ready for the thousands to show up to the shit they created. You can delete one paying voice, can you delete them all?

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So last year in DC it was at a nice Marriott and the room rate was cheaper. This year looks like it is at a garbage dump for a higher rate, awesome. Not to mention last year in DC they had the schedule done and published well in advance, yet this year the schedule still shows TBD everywhere. I understand a lot of work goes into putting this on and I have no doubt I will enjoy it again, but so far I am not really impressed. Who does not have a completed schedule posted 5 days before the event starts?

BS. This is my 7th MACNA no way to get around union GES if you have a crate(s). Unless you want to move the crate for less, oh wait they won't let you or I touch it....

What kind of shit hole did you book us into? Talk about oversold and fraud.

20160903_164642.jpg

20160903_164654.jpg

20160903_164319.jpg

20160903_174021.jpg

20160903_174028.jpg

20160903_224654.jpg

20160903_224702.jpg

20160903_224707.jpg

20160903_224853.jpg

20160903_224916.jpg

SDMAF is hiding any information of this from their controlled sources. They better be ready for the thousands to show up to the shit they created. You can delete one paying voice, can you delete them all?

Wow. Are these for real Stevie, are you there already?

Wow. Are these for real Stevie, are you there already?

We got here a 3pm Saturday. It goes on and on... pretty dumpy place

Come put early for a vacation they said. It's nice they said. All lies.

Awesome.

Yeah I procrastinated and bought my passes last week so I'll have no badge :(.

Actually we are printing badges that were registered as late as two days ago, so you should have one.

Really? Did they state a cutoff time? Usually there is a printer at the registration booth. They may also offer a hand written solution.

I'm not certain that a sharpie will work on these badges because they are hard plastic, not the printed paper kind.

Not the general ticket holders? Lectures start at 9am, so we can't attend? That seems counter intuitive.

The early entrance for MASNA members is only for the exhibit hall. The 9am speaker session is open to all.

As far as the venue goes, there are two things to point out...

1. Yes the property is undergoing a renovation. The pictures make it look like the room that you would be staying in is under construction. That is not the case. A large portion of the rooms in our room block have already been redone.

2. We could have booked rooms in one of the downtown hotels, but then the room rate would be at $220/night minimum and nobody would want to pay that.

3. The Town & Country is the only place outside of the convention center that has the space to hold this meeting. That would have made the exhibit costs go even higher.

A lot goes into the decision making process and for San Diego, this property is the only option for this event.

Oh geez...those pictures are scary LOL. I can deal with outdated, as long as it's clean! I plan to have lots of fun regardless of construction noise/mess and I'm thankful it is in San Diego this year so I could attend :).

The Town & Country has seen better days but as Dave pointed out it was the best spot for this convention. Personally I love the landscaping throughout the property. The convention space is huge and there are plenty of rooms to hold speeches and meetings in a nice place that will not be interrupted by everything going on. And It really is not a terrible hotel. If this was held downtown the accommodations would have made it too expensive for me to stay and enjoy it. Downtown is nice but expensive. As pointed out there are no hotels with the space to hold this event. Convention Center space is expensive and there is not a hotel attached to it. The 5 hotels within walking distance are in the $300-500 a night range on weekends. Maybe i am biased as this is my home town but every event I have been to at the Town & Country has been great.

i would have loved to see this event take over the Convention Center........But honestly it would have only utilized a very small percentage of the space at the Convention Center. Then you need to walk the gauntlet of the homeless and crazy to get back to your hotel. Or wait for a cab, Uber, Lyft and that can suck huge balls on the weekends. I have not been to MACNA in DC and Denver but have been to both cities. You cant compare them to San Diego.

I just need a clean room, clean sheets on the bed, and clean bathroom with clean towels. I'm excited for MACNA and my first time to San Diego. My wife is not coming, but she took one look at those pictures and said, if I was going to MACNA and saw that, I don't think I would want to go to another one. She goes to a couple of photography conferences a year so that is her point of reference. Her mindset was that for people who have never been to MACNA, if the hotel looks really bad and has all this going on, then that is the impression they will have of MACNA. Now that is one person's opinion that isn't in the hobby and only goes to the LFS with me because I will take her out to dinner after usually. She will pick out the occasional fish or invert, but pretty much doesn't want much to do with it. Kind of like me and her photography stuff, I just pay the bill :D

I understand the expenses of the other areas of San Diego, etc. I will say having lived in MD for 14 years, that where it was in DC last year was one of the most expensive parts of the city other than Georgetown. It was in a nicer hotel and the room rates were better (again I understand the SD club got the best rates they could.) It was not near (or at) the DC convention center, and that's good because that area has some issues at night. I understand every city is different, hell next year tickets cost $10 more in New Orleans if you want beef at the banquet. I work with someone who has lived there for a very long time and she confirmed beef does not cost extra there.

Also for those flying in or getting there on Thursday, Dave confirmed yesterday early registration on Thursday is 4pm-8pm and will go longer if needed. Saves you some time on Friday when the line will be longer. Or in my case I don't have to run down early for that and then run over to the Neptune breakfast line, I can just go straight to breakfast,

ReefSafeSolutions

For those of us just coming for one day, we don't need to worry about any early registration, correct? Sounds like that's for the folks doing the full package thing?

ReefSafeSolutions

If you are only coming in for one day, registration is open Friday and Saturday 7am-5pm according to the schedule.

I take that to mean you just register when you show up, correct? Even if we pay for the day pass beforehand?

Christopher Marks

tumblr_mliqoiipej1s0w3s7o1_500.gif

I'm really looking forward to meeting so many rad people from the community after all these years! I should into town sometime Friday early afternoon, I'll get checked in and hit the expo floorzmdp2d.png

I take that to mean you just register when you show up, correct? Even if we pay for the day pass beforehand?

Yes, that is correct. Whether you are showing up with a ticket or not, you will register on an iPad and pick up your badge or wristband, depending on how you registered. Everyone will have a unique QR code and that will allow exhibitors to scan your code if you aloow them to in order to send you information. It is a long overdue addition to MACNA.

I would also like to mention that the room rate in the hotel selected for MACNA 2017 is $149/night. Every year costs go up so be prepared if you will be planning to go next year. It is just a fact of life. In different cities the rates can be vastly different. Parking at the T&C is usually $19/day. For us it is $5/day. We also had the resort fee waived which means free wifi in your room.

I have been working on bringing this show to San Diego for five years now. People may feel like the hotel isn't the best, but I am confident that they will leave MACNA 2016 feeling like it was a great show. The Friday night reception is on the Broadway Pier which is one pier north of the USS Midway. It is going to be a lot of fun. That is just one of the cool elements of this show.

See you all in San Diego!

ReefSafeSolutions

Just ordered my pass for Saturday! omgomgomg

I'm bringing a buddy as well, he's just getting into reef aquariums. Can't think of a better introduction...hopefully we can meet some of you on Saturday!

The Friday night reception is on the Broadway Pier which is one pier north of the USS Midway. It is going to be a lot of fun. That is just one of the cool elements of this show.

20160905_152715.jpg

why you no post your BYOB meeting in here?

Nano-Reef Meet and BYOB Drink Location:

• Saturday night after Banquet
  • Outside Terrace Cafe
  • BYOB

This is our best option. It is central to the "Royal" Palm Tower and has the most seating options. Just in front of the pool.

Valley Liquors has a FREE shuttle from the "resort" to their establishment. Just call (619) 296-1323 Or there is an on site bar sorta near by but it's the only one so packed and closes at 10/10.30pst. Doubtful but the tiki bar may be open in our location just because of the size of show we bring. But doubtful as it's been closed since I've been here.

20160906_192235.jpg

20160906_192150.jpg

NR%20PARTY%20FINAL.jpg

IF YOU ARE STAYING IN THE "ROYAL" TOWER, so far the only ice maker I have found to be working is on the 10th floor.

We are on the 8th so haven't checked them all yet, but floors 1-3 are gutted for renovations.

Archived