Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

MACNA 2016 San Diego

Sancho

My understanding from speaking with TSA at the Denver airport after MACNA 2014 was that yes, there is an exception for the amount of water in the case of "live animals". However, the problem is that most TSA agents aren't going to be able to tell that a coral is a "live animal" and at that point its up to their discretion whether they let you take it through or not, so its a risk. Fish however are always fine since its obvious that they're alive and swimming. It seems like its hit or miss with corals depending on what TSA agent you get. Its honestly safer and easier to just put them in your checked bag. TSA might inspect the bag, but that's fine. They're not going to do anything to your coral.

Everything with TSA can be hit or miss. I used to travel all the time for work and I have seen how baggage handlers throw suitcases around. To me that is not safer than in my possession. Not saying UPS or FedEx is any different with our online orders, but if I can keep my stuff with me to watch I am going to try. I've flown with coral in my carry on through a number of airports so far without issues. Last year's MACNA I know a bunch of people were flying out of Reagan airport since it was close to the venue and saw people posting on the app they made it through with no issues. TSA at Reagan is usually really strict because of it's location. That said I have had far worse TSA interactions at LAX so who knows how San Diego will be. I can see people wanting to do it both ways, especially depending how much they have to bring back. I'm going to do it carry on and I will argue it out with TSA if need be. Take me all of a few seconds to pull up Google on my phone and show them corals are considered live animals.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everything with TSA can be hit or miss. I used to travel all the time for work and I have seen how baggage handlers throw suitcases around. To me that is not safer than in my possession. Not saying UPS or FedEx is any different with our online orders, but if I can keep my stuff with me to watch I am going to try. I've flown with coral in my carry on through a number of airports so far without issues. Last year's MACNA I know a bunch of people were flying out of Reagan airport since it was close to the venue and saw people posting on the app they made it through with no issues. TSA at Reagan is usually really strict because of it's location. That said I have had far worse TSA interactions at LAX so who knows how San Diego will be. I can see people wanting to do it both ways, especially depending how much they have to bring back. I'm going to do it carry on and I will argue it out with TSA if need be. Take me all of a few seconds to pull up Google on my phone and show them corals are considered live animals.

Might be a good idea to check in early for the flight, that way if TSA gives trouble the corals can be checked in.

squamptonbc

I worked for years loading planes and what most perceive as poor handling is normal handling, has to be fast and bags are heavy and its just not possible to treat them like special butterflies, plus the automated systems are worse then any human can do...

Anyhow in all my years, I never saw one person ever mistreat a box or containers marked live animals, and those items were treated more carefully there is risk, but less risk when compared to the overnight services of Fedex and UPS, airline shipping of live animals is still quicker and safer overall, but yes there will always be risk anytime animals are shipped and that is just the risk people take to get the animals they want.

Also TSA is not the only issue with live animals, even if TSA permits it, doesn't mean your airline will so there is still a risk of not being permitted on the flight if the airline agents decide corals are not an approved live animal for the cabin, so best to also check with the airline your flying to see if 1) They will permit corals/fish in the cabin and (2) if not will like accept them as checked luggage or cargo as not all airlines will transport live animals of any kind below the wing in the belly.

I worked for years loading planes and what most perceive as poor handling is normal handling, has to be fast and bags are heavy and its just not possible to treat them like special butterflies, plus the automated systems are worse then any human can do...

Anyhow in all my years, I never saw one person ever mistreat a box or containers marked live animals, and those items were treated more carefully there is risk, but less risk when compared to the overnight services of Fedex and UPS, airline shipping of live animals is still quicker and safer overall, but yes there will always be risk anytime animals are shipped and that is just the risk people take to get the animals they want.

Also TSA is not the only issue with live animals, even if TSA permits it, doesn't mean your airline will so there is still a risk of not being permitted on the flight if the airline agents decide corals are not an approved live animal for the cabin, so best to also check with the airline your flying to see if 1) They will permit corals/fish in the cabin and (2) if not will like accept them as checked luggage or cargo as not all airlines will transport live animals of any kind below the wing in the belly.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying they try and damage bags on the airlines. I have friends and family that used to work for them, I know they have to get it done fast. I have seen luggage thrown down on the tarmac and bounced off the ground a lot. Not saying intentionally, accidents happen. There is no need to contact airlines, they have zero idea what is in my carry-on bag, nor is it their business. All they will see is a cooler bag or box in my hand, not like I am holding onto a bag of acros in water for them to see. :) I'm not bringing anything hazardous that should concern them. Once I have made it through TSA, not one person has ever asked me what is in my bag. I've already done this at least half a dozen times. Generally fly the same airlines every time I fly, with the occasional exception, so I am aware of their rules.

squamptonbc

Hard to resist not going, I haven't been home in several years now, this seems an ample opportunity to do so...lol

Now do I tell family, or do I go in stealth mode and not tell them....decisions decisions.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn I was planning on going but now it seems I'll be working that weekend! :angry:

Oh no, it's such a shame to hear that you're going to be deathly ill that weekend! Poor coworkers are just gonna have to do without ;~;

Oh no, it's such a shame to hear that you're going to be deathly ill that weekend! Poor coworkers are just gonna have to do without ;~;

Bahaha not a terrible idea...

I just agreed to the job so I can't bail now unfortunately, I stupidly screwed up my dates. The event is for a good cause though, so I'll complain just a little bit less than I normally would.

good idea

How do the raffle tickets work? Do I buy them there or can I buy in advance? I tried looking on the site but I couldn't find it

Btw Sancho, do you know if the sdreefs site will be up again? I've been trying to access it all summer but it never loads.

squamptonbc

As much as I want to go, I opted to go the wise route and not spend hundreds on a 2 day trip....Wife is happier as well...lol

How do the raffle tickets work? Do I buy them there or can I buy in advance? I tried looking on the site but I couldn't find it

Btw Sancho, do you know if the sdreefs site will be up again? I've been trying to access it all summer but it never loads.

http://macnaconference.org/2016/events/macna-2016-prize-drawing-tickets/

Just like the raffles at the SDREEFS meetings just with way better prizes. I think you were there when they suggested a BMW or similar vehicle may be raffled off. Pretty sure you can pre purchase raffle tickets now with the above link. The chance to win the Fiji trip is well worth buying tickets for.

As for SDREEFS it seems to be up. I know they have occasional server outages but nothing that would last all Summer. Most outages never last more than a few hours.

http://macnaconference.org/2016/events/macna-2016-prize-drawing-tickets/

Just like the raffles at the SDREEFS meetings just with way better prizes. I think you were there when they suggested a BMW or similar vehicle may be raffled off. Pretty sure you can pre purchase raffle tickets now with the above link. The chance to win the Fiji trip is well worth buying tickets for.

As for SDREEFS it seems to be up. I know they have occasional server outages but nothing that would last all Summer. Most outages never last more than a few hours.

Yeah I was at that meeting! Thanks, I'll have to check out that link

Hm. That's weird, I just checked again, and I get the same error I've been getting the past few months "Server not found" :( I tried Chrome, Firefox, and on phone, same thing.

I mostly just want to check when meetings are!

Yeah I was at that meeting! Thanks, I'll have to check out that link

Hm. That's weird, I just checked again, and I get the same error I've been getting the past few months "Server not found" :( I tried Chrome, Firefox, and on phone, same thing.

I mostly just want to check when meetings are!

http://www.sdreefs.com/

clear your cookies history and such. Are you using a computer from your school or work? Sometimes they block it. Although it should work on your phone. Its gonna bring up the Tap Talk app but you can just close that out and proceed to the site. Weird?

Last months meeting didnt happen and I cant find anything on this month. Sent a message to the guy that has been running the meetings last night. I still havent heard from him

MACNA IS ONLY 1 MONTH AWAY!

giphy.gif

I feel like a kid who's going to Disneyland for the first time!

We need to organize some meetups!

Sancho, I think it's something with my internet connection, I tried using only data on my phone with the tapatalk app, and it worked! Hopefully I can figure it out on my computer

I may just turn my husband into a reef geek after all. He's actually looking forward to this MACNA weekend! He liked the sound of this.....

Networking by the pool after banquet "Come sample some of San Diego’s craft brews from several of our 128 local breweries and enjoy some late night snacks and network with fellow reef geeks. "

Hey...if it takes beer, that's fine by me :lol:.

Really looking forward to the MACNA weekend :happydance:.

I'm all booked and will be there early Friday, hopefully. I got my missy to join me so it's a good time to brain wash her with reef stuff...haha :D . Really looking forward to seeing everyone there, if you recognize me please fire your signal, I'd love to meet you all.

HI! Apparently I am SUPER late to the MACNA party and clearly the most beginner of this group. However I do have something to offer and that my fellow reefers is a little thing called alcohol. Have any meetups been put together? There are a few accounts nearby and I could ask my Jameson Ambassador to come provide a nice tab :-) Same goes for my Malibu Ambassador but my instinct says most of you are more Jameson than Malibu. Not sure if Absolut rep is in town but I can definitely check!

Also I am not sure how many people are local but I am happy to assist with food places, hotels nearby, places to go, places to avoid... I am so glad I clicked the sponsored link! It would have been a HUGE bummer to miss this!

Archived